Bournemouth council ‘will not back down’ over West Central bus hub row

John Beesley

John Beesley

First published in News by

BOURNEMOUTH council insists it will not back down and end a long-running showdown with a developer over a prime town centre car park.

Council leader John Beesley confirmed the council will continue to try and compulsorily purchase the NCP car park in Exeter Road, despite the fact Licet Developments are expected to start work there this week. Licet have planning permission to build a ‘West Central’ cinema and restaurant complex there and say they have secured funding from Legal and General, an anchor tenant in Odeon cinemas and agreements with a string of restaurant chains.

But Cllr Beesley questioned Licet’s claims and said their “aggressive” stance did not affect the council’s plans to build a bus hub on that site.

The council’s belief is that Licet is intending to undertake the minimum amount of work prior to the expiry of their planning permission in February in order to keep their consent alive.

“They (Licet) are very direct and quite aggressive in terms of their response to whatever they have been asked,” he said.

“All I’m saying is I’m not certain that I’ve seen or heard anything in terms of documentary proof that they are in a position to proceed.

“If they go ahead and proceed, they would be doing it at risk.

“I would have thought that their funders would have significant concerns about it.

“I would expect their funders’ confirmation will be subject to various requirements, one of which is the issue that the CPO has been resolved.”

He said the council was currently drawing up a planning application for a bus hub and would formally apply for a CPO once they were confident of getting planning permission.

“We will do our utmost to be successful but ultimately it’s not the decision of Licet or Bournemouth council. It’s the decision of the Secretary of State and I wouldn’t want to predict that.”

He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take.

If successful, the council expects to spend up to £5million building a bus hub to reduce congestion in Gervis Place.

Cllr Beesley admitted this would probably require some level of ongoing subsidy but said: “Councils can’t do everything just on financial grounds, they’re not expected to. I want to minimise public subsidy wherever I can.

“Our decisions are based on what is in the best interests of Bournemouth residents and our view is that this is the best and some may say only site that will deliver what’s required by a bus hub.

“The bus congestions issues in Gervis Place have got significantly worse in the last two years and there’s more of a will today than there was then by the bus companies to do something about it.”

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:04am Mon 27 Jan 14

Richard 1976 says...

Nothing like holding back development is there councillor? It stinks
Nothing like holding back development is there councillor? It stinks Richard 1976
  • Score: 17

7:44am Mon 27 Jan 14

kalebmoledirt says...

Has Legal & General said anything about their involvement
Has Legal & General said anything about their involvement kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 10

8:51am Mon 27 Jan 14

Townee says...

It's my ball and I make the rules. Beasley it's not your ball, ITS NOT YOUR BALL ITS OURS and you are paid by us. So instead of doing what you want, surf reef, IMAX and other money wasting project wind your neck in and shut up.
If you build a bus hub on that car park where would the buses go in and out? Only the road where they are now or up the hill by the BIC. This would mean problems in the pedestrian area and would need more bloody traffic light. If you want a hub use the under used area called the town hall., that is a waste of space filled with our paid for by us idiots.
It's my ball and I make the rules. Beasley it's not your ball, ITS NOT YOUR BALL ITS OURS and you are paid by us. So instead of doing what you want, surf reef, IMAX and other money wasting project wind your neck in and shut up. If you build a bus hub on that car park where would the buses go in and out? Only the road where they are now or up the hill by the BIC. This would mean problems in the pedestrian area and would need more bloody traffic light. If you want a hub use the under used area called the town hall., that is a waste of space filled with our paid for by us idiots. Townee
  • Score: 9

9:13am Mon 27 Jan 14

BmthNewshound says...

Lets just look at the recent history of this site - As far back as 2001 there has been talk of building a cinema/restaurant complex on the site.
.
Echo headline 01/12/06 - "£50m complex gets unanimous support" - The Tory council over which Beesley already had influence gave planning permission to Licet - why wasn't the bus station issue raised then ?
.
Echo headline 11/10/10 - "Exeter Road bus station plan is 'gambling with taxpayers' money'" - Both Wilts&Dorset and Yellow Buses expressed reservations about rebuilding the bus station. Without the support of the bus companies any bus station would be nothing more than a white elephant.
.
Beesley's track record is appalling. He has squandered £millions on his failed "Town Centre Vision", constantly put the profits of private business before what is best for the town.
.
Beelseys obsession with obtaining a CPO is more about his ego and typifies his autocratic leadership which is having a catastrophic effect on Bournemouth and is responsible for the towns recent acceleration down the spiral of decline.
Lets just look at the recent history of this site - As far back as 2001 there has been talk of building a cinema/restaurant complex on the site. . Echo headline 01/12/06 - "£50m complex gets unanimous support" - The Tory council over which Beesley already had influence gave planning permission to Licet - why wasn't the bus station issue raised then ? . Echo headline 11/10/10 - "Exeter Road bus station plan is 'gambling with taxpayers' money'" - Both Wilts&Dorset and Yellow Buses expressed reservations about rebuilding the bus station. Without the support of the bus companies any bus station would be nothing more than a white elephant. . Beesley's track record is appalling. He has squandered £millions on his failed "Town Centre Vision", constantly put the profits of private business before what is best for the town. . Beelseys obsession with obtaining a CPO is more about his ego and typifies his autocratic leadership which is having a catastrophic effect on Bournemouth and is responsible for the towns recent acceleration down the spiral of decline. BmthNewshound
  • Score: 15

9:15am Mon 27 Jan 14

Redgolfer says...

So Beasley states that he wants to minimise public subsidy wherever he can, SHAME HE FORGOT ABOUT THAT with that Gardens contract and the leasing back of the car park for 75years at £3,000,000 a year which was stopped thankfully, the last time that the bus hub or station as we called it then, the square was a round-a-bout, so are they going to open up the pedestrian area and go back in time, I shudder with some of his idea's, resign before you do MORE DAMAGE to this TOWN !!!
So Beasley states that he wants to minimise public subsidy wherever he can, SHAME HE FORGOT ABOUT THAT with that Gardens contract and the leasing back of the car park for 75years at £3,000,000 a year which was stopped thankfully, the last time that the bus hub or station as we called it then, the square was a round-a-bout, so are they going to open up the pedestrian area and go back in time, I shudder with some of his idea's, resign before you do MORE DAMAGE to this TOWN !!! Redgolfer
  • Score: 10

9:26am Mon 27 Jan 14

BIGTONE says...

BOURNEMOUTH council insists it will not back down and end a long-running showdown with a developer over a prime town centre car park.

What should be added........

It's not our money we are putting at risk......it's yours!
BOURNEMOUTH council insists it will not back down and end a long-running showdown with a developer over a prime town centre car park. What should be added........ It's not our money we are putting at risk......it's yours! BIGTONE
  • Score: 5

9:50am Mon 27 Jan 14

billy bumble says...

"He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. "

This is an extract from the Echo article

If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers )

He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance
"He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. " This is an extract from the Echo article If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers ) He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance billy bumble
  • Score: 16

9:51am Mon 27 Jan 14

spotthis says...

Its seems Mr. Beesley has met his match. When says that Licet are "quite aggressive in terms of their response to whatever they have been asked,” he could be talking about himself. He doesn't seem to listen to anyone, certainly not the people of the town.
He has forgotten he was elected, and he does not own the town. How I wish he would go but unless someone from an independent group came forward at the next election for his ward, we will be stuck with him.
Its seems Mr. Beesley has met his match. When says that Licet are "quite aggressive in terms of their response to whatever they have been asked,” he could be talking about himself. He doesn't seem to listen to anyone, certainly not the people of the town. He has forgotten he was elected, and he does not own the town. How I wish he would go but unless someone from an independent group came forward at the next election for his ward, we will be stuck with him. spotthis
  • Score: 11

11:01am Mon 27 Jan 14

speedy231278 says...

Who voted for this cretin? I certainly didn't, and never will do!
Who voted for this cretin? I certainly didn't, and never will do! speedy231278
  • Score: 6

11:46am Mon 27 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

Of course cynics might wonder if Mr Beasley's over excitement about this development might have any thing to do with the forthcoming 'comprehensive redevelopment' of the Imax/Bath hill car park site.

One that might have a cinema complex and a few chain restaurants as part of an 'attraction' to allow a large number of residential properties (appartments) to be built to fund it.

Let's hope all these parts of the grand 'town centre plan' are not all beginning to unravel - as who knows we might one day see our town being regenerated to benefit all it's residents and visitors, not just a select few.
Of course cynics might wonder if Mr Beasley's over excitement about this development might have any thing to do with the forthcoming 'comprehensive redevelopment' of the Imax/Bath hill car park site. One that might have a cinema complex and a few chain restaurants as part of an 'attraction' to allow a large number of residential properties (appartments) to be built to fund it. Let's hope all these parts of the grand 'town centre plan' are not all beginning to unravel - as who knows we might one day see our town being regenerated to benefit all it's residents and visitors, not just a select few. Bob49
  • Score: 4

12:24pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Maiseymo says...

Why would I want to slog up a hill with shopping to the proposed new bus station?
Just make Gervis Place one way for all buses. It is convenient for the public (it is after all called public transport) and immediately adjacent to shops.
If planning permission has already been granted for a development for something else on this site then that should take precedence over latter day proposals. Any other action would prove to be too costly for the taxpayer.
Why would I want to slog up a hill with shopping to the proposed new bus station? Just make Gervis Place one way for all buses. It is convenient for the public (it is after all called public transport) and immediately adjacent to shops. If planning permission has already been granted for a development for something else on this site then that should take precedence over latter day proposals. Any other action would prove to be too costly for the taxpayer. Maiseymo
  • Score: -1

12:46pm Mon 27 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

We all need to watch this very carefully, for did the 'Nautilus' promoter not suggest in a recent newspaper article (hard copy only) that recently reported funding problems with the Bath Road 'Nautilus' proposals might still be resolvable - but only when backers received confirmation that this Exeter Road Council CPO had been finalised?
We all need to watch this very carefully, for did the 'Nautilus' promoter not suggest in a recent newspaper article (hard copy only) that recently reported funding problems with the Bath Road 'Nautilus' proposals might still be resolvable - but only when backers received confirmation that this Exeter Road Council CPO had been finalised? muscliffman
  • Score: 6

1:26pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Jammydodg says...

They started blocking off part of that car park last week, think there's a digger there now?
They started blocking off part of that car park last week, think there's a digger there now? Jammydodg
  • Score: 2

2:08pm Mon 27 Jan 14

kalebmoledirt says...

billy bumble wrote:
"He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. "

This is an extract from the Echo article

If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers )

He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance
OK Billy we're with, so how do go about it
[quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: "He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. " This is an extract from the Echo article If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers ) He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance[/p][/quote]OK Billy we're with, so how do go about it kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 4

2:49pm Mon 27 Jan 14

billy bumble says...

kalebmoledirt wrote:
billy bumble wrote:
"He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. "

This is an extract from the Echo article

If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers )

He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance
OK Billy we're with, so how do go about it
Regrettably this is not so easy

The Council would be the one's to do it administratively using the grounds of misconduct - so don't hold your breath

He could be removed by means of a civil action by one or more ( acting together as a class )

Alternatively a petition to the Council - you would probably need 10% minimum of ratepayer to sign it - no easy task
[quote][p][bold]kalebmoledirt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: "He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. " This is an extract from the Echo article If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers ) He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance[/p][/quote]OK Billy we're with, so how do go about it[/p][/quote]Regrettably this is not so easy The Council would be the one's to do it administratively using the grounds of misconduct - so don't hold your breath He could be removed by means of a civil action by one or more ( acting together as a class ) Alternatively a petition to the Council - you would probably need 10% minimum of ratepayer to sign it - no easy task billy bumble
  • Score: 2

2:57pm Mon 27 Jan 14

kalebmoledirt says...

billy bumble wrote:
kalebmoledirt wrote:
billy bumble wrote:
"He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. "

This is an extract from the Echo article

If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers )

He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance
OK Billy we're with, so how do go about it
Regrettably this is not so easy

The Council would be the one's to do it administratively using the grounds of misconduct - so don't hold your breath

He could be removed by means of a civil action by one or more ( acting together as a class )

Alternatively a petition to the Council - you would probably need 10% minimum of ratepayer to sign it - no easy task
Petition sounds the way to go.
[quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kalebmoledirt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: "He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. " This is an extract from the Echo article If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers ) He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance[/p][/quote]OK Billy we're with, so how do go about it[/p][/quote]Regrettably this is not so easy The Council would be the one's to do it administratively using the grounds of misconduct - so don't hold your breath He could be removed by means of a civil action by one or more ( acting together as a class ) Alternatively a petition to the Council - you would probably need 10% minimum of ratepayer to sign it - no easy task[/p][/quote]Petition sounds the way to go. kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 4

4:17pm Mon 27 Jan 14

O'Reilly says...

kalebmoledirt wrote:
billy bumble wrote:
kalebmoledirt wrote:
billy bumble wrote:
"He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. "

This is an extract from the Echo article

If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers )

He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance
OK Billy we're with, so how do go about it
Regrettably this is not so easy

The Council would be the one's to do it administratively using the grounds of misconduct - so don't hold your breath

He could be removed by means of a civil action by one or more ( acting together as a class )

Alternatively a petition to the Council - you would probably need 10% minimum of ratepayer to sign it - no easy task
Petition sounds the way to go.
You'd get 10% in Boscombe alone........
[quote][p][bold]kalebmoledirt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kalebmoledirt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: "He also said he could not say how much the CPO process might cost or how long it would take. " This is an extract from the Echo article If this is true he is acting what in legal terms is "ultra vires " ( beyond his powers ) He could ( and should ) be removed from public office for misfeasance[/p][/quote]OK Billy we're with, so how do go about it[/p][/quote]Regrettably this is not so easy The Council would be the one's to do it administratively using the grounds of misconduct - so don't hold your breath He could be removed by means of a civil action by one or more ( acting together as a class ) Alternatively a petition to the Council - you would probably need 10% minimum of ratepayer to sign it - no easy task[/p][/quote]Petition sounds the way to go.[/p][/quote]You'd get 10% in Boscombe alone........ O'Reilly
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree