MARC Pugh netted twice as Cherries turned on the style to sink Premier League opposition in their penultimate pre-season friendly at Dean Court this evening.

Pugh’s first-half double, coupled with Brett Pitman’s 53rd-minute penalty, earned Eddie Howe’s men a deserved victory over what was largely a second string Swansea team.

Pugh and fellow winger Matt Ritchie shared the plaudits as Cherries reached the interval leading 2-0, the pair combining for the opener with Pugh heading home his team-mate’s cross.

Goals either side of half-time from Pugh and Pitman put Cherries in the ascendancy before Jefferson Montero grabbed a somewhat fortuitous consolation for the Swans.

Baily Cargill, hugely impressive in Cherries’ 3-2 win at Portsmouth, made a timely tackle to stop Alex Samuel in his tracks after the Swans striker had been gifted possession by Ian Harte’s stray pass in the early stages.

Ritchie’s thunderous drive was charged down after Harte had rolled a short free-kick to the winger before Cherries goalkeeper Benji Buchel was pressed into action in the 14th minute.

The Lichtenstein international, who has shouldered the majority of the goalkeeping duties during pre-season, pushed a fiercely-struck 25-yard free-kick from Lee Lucas over the crossbar.

Cherries broke the deadlock midway through the first half when Pugh timed his run to perfection to meet Ritchie’s inch-perfect delivery with a cushioned header across Tremmel.

It was no more than Cherries had deserved with architect Ritchie and goalscorer Pugh both turning on the style on their respective wings during the opening period.

As Cherries continued to probe, Swans goalkeeper Tremmel was forced to snaffle a first-time drive from Ritchie after the winger had seized on the loose ball 20 yards from goal.

Cherries doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time when Pugh added his second with a low, left-footed strike from the edge of the box which squeezed past the despairing dive of Tremmel.

The highlight of the night for Swansea supporters came during the half-time interval when one of their number managed to successful crack the crossbar challenge.

Montero fashioned a presentable scoring chance for the Swans just after the break, the Ecuadorian’s effort from a tight angle flashing narrowly past the upright.

Cherries were gifted an opportunity to extend their lead when Swans defender Angel Rangel inexplicably handled Tokelo Rantie’s hanging cross at the far post.

And Pitman made no mistake from the spot, the striker sending Tremmel the wrong way and despatching his penalty with assuredness into the bottom corner.

Specious claims for further spot-kicks fell on deaf ears after both Rantie and Pitman had gone to ground under challenges from defenders with referee Keith Stroud unmoved.

Pitman outjumped his marker to meet a Francis centre with Tremmel saving low down before the Swans reduced the deficit with a rather fortuitous goal.

Buchel appeared to have Montero’s shot covered, only for the ball to deflect off Francis and deceive the goalkeeper who was powerless to prevent it finding the back of the net.

Cherries: Buchel, Francis (Matthews, 83), Elphick, Cargill, Harte, Ritchie (Cornick, 79), O’Kane (A Coulibaly, 89), MacDonald (Whitfield, 89), Pugh, Rantie (Stockley, 75), Pitman (Muleba, 83).

Swans: Tremmel, Dyer (Shephard, 69), Rangel (Hanley, 69), Richards, Sheehan (Jones, 69), Lucas, Tamcock, King, Kingsley, Montero (Bray, 69), Samuel.

Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire).

Attendance: 2,859 (including 349 away supporters).