When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
AFC Bournemouth's Shwan Jalal: I still have plenty to offer
Jalal’s departure from Dean Court was officially confirmed this week, although boss Eddie Howe had told him in December he would not be offered a new contract.
The 30-year-old told the Daily Echo there had been interest in securing his services and said he was “optimistic” he would find another club before the start of next season.
Jalal, who kept 48 clean sheets in 147 league starts for Cherries, helped the club preserve its Football League status in 2009 and played a part in two promotions.
He said: “I feel I am a goalkeeper who can produce for any team I play for. I was disappointed not to be involved in the Championship campaign but never missed a day’s training and gave it my all.
“I made it clear to the manager that I would be ready if called upon and, in the meantime, I was always very supportive of the team and did everything I could in training.
“I haven’t played much during the past 12 months and, with regards to that, it is one of those things you have to accept in football because there are always going to be peaks and troughs.
“The way I look at it, I had four successful seasons and two not so successful ones so I feel like I have come out on top. There is something to build on and I am looking forward to a new project with a new club.
“I feel I can take my experiences from this team and working under the manager into something new. I want to play as high as I can. The main thing for me is to be playing and to have a chance of playing. I want to either go in as a number one or to fight for a place, which I feel I can do.
“I see it as a new chapter and want to take an opportunity to really get my teeth into and attack it with everything I have got and show what I can offer to the team.
“I have had six years here and it is a great club. I just want to thank everyone who has supported me along the way. It has been a great experience and something I will take forward with me wherever I go to next.”
Meanwhile, Cherries are set to kick-off their pre-season campaign with a five-day training camp in south east Austria.
Eddie Howe’s squad will fly out on Monday, July 7 before being put through their paces at a base in Bad Waltersdorf.
The venue, which is located in the state of Styria, has previously been used by Premier League Arsenal and German outfit Werder Bremen.
Cherries are due to start their pre-season friendly campaign against Danish club FC Copenhagen, with the fixture provisionally scheduled to take place on Friday, July 11.
The Dorset club are still awaiting confirmation of a venue, although the clash is expected to be open to the public. Copenhagen are also at a training camp in Austria.
Howe’s men, who return for the start of pre-season on Saturday, June 28, are set to meet non-league Dorchester Town at the Avenue Stadium on July 19 and Yeovil Town at Huish on July 26.
A trip to Portsmouth on Tuesday, July 29 will be followed 24 hours later by the visit of Scottish giants Rangers to Dean Court.
Cherries are also understood to be lining up Premier League opposition for a friendly on Tuesday, August 5, with Everton their likely opponents. All fixtures are subject to confirmation.
Comments are closed on this article.