AFC Bournemouth: Howe in search for Brooks and Groves replacements

GONE: Paul Groves and Shaun Brooks

GONE: Paul Groves and Shaun Brooks

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bournemouth Echo: Photograph of the Author by

MANAGER Eddie Howe is preparing to make crucial appointments as he looks to replace Shaun Brooks and Paul Groves in the Cherries youth ranks.

Howe, who has made several changes to his backroom staff since returning to the club, has described the department as “arguably the most important” at Dean Court.

Chief executive Neill Blake tonight confirmed the departures of head of youth Brooks and Groves, who had been youth team manager and head of coaching.

The pair, whose exits had been predicted by the Daily Echo on Monday, had been absorbed in the youth ranks after being relieved of their duties with the first team in October 2012.

Former Cherries star Mattie Holmes, currently technical development centre manager at the club, has been placed in temporary charge while Howe sources replacements.

Howe, a product of the club’s youth ranks under Sean O’Driscoll, told the Daily Echo: “We are planning to find the right people to lead the department forward and that is the key thing to focus on now.

“The department is the lifeblood of the club and the next generation of AFC Bournemouth players are going to come through it so our job is to find the right people to move things forward to the benefit of the young players we have.

“Every club needs a flourishing youth system. All the top clubs in England want to bring through their own players, get them in young and educate them on how they play. Then, when they are 18 or 19, you have a player who has been with you for a number of years, knows the demands you place on them and exactly how you want to play.

“We are desperate to bring through our own players but we have to make the process better in order to do that and that is what we are looking to do.”

Howe said neither Holmes nor development squad coach Stephen Purches were being considered for the positions, adding he would be looking to fill them “as quickly as possible”.

“Mattie’s forte is very much with the younger players and making sure we get them technically sound,” said Howe. “By his own admission, that is his real strength so we will be looking to keep him with the younger age group.

“I am delighted with Stephen Purches and the role he is doing at the moment. He has taken to it extremely well and the development squad has made huge strides in a short period time.”

The departure of Brooks and Groves could pave the way for a sensational return for Joe Roach, who was controversially axed from the position in June 2011.

Roach, who was responsible for nurturing a wealth of talent during his 10 years at the club, has apparently not been ruled out, the Daily Echo understands.

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:13pm Wed 8 Jan 14

cherrychris75 says...

Got to be Joe roach. Just look at Burnleys front two as a reason
Got to be Joe roach. Just look at Burnleys front two as a reason cherrychris75
  • Score: 12

7:16pm Wed 8 Jan 14

wendycherry says...

On Team Joe, for sure! :)
On Team Joe, for sure! :) wendycherry
  • Score: 10

7:21pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Afcbives says...

Joe roach will be a quality placement but is he a long term replacement?
Joe roach will be a quality placement but is he a long term replacement? Afcbives
  • Score: 6

7:24pm Wed 8 Jan 14

PaulRaffle says...

If Eddie is looking for someone who knows and loves AFCB, and has proven that he can nurture young players, he need look no further than Joe Roach. Joe always had the respect of the youngsters, and the proof of his ability is evident. The names of Ings, Vokes, McQuoid, Pitman immediately spring to mind. This is not about nepotism or jobs for the boys, it is about the ability to bring out the best in potential future stars.
But, of course, Eddie already knows Joe's credentials and ability.
If Eddie is looking for someone who knows and loves AFCB, and has proven that he can nurture young players, he need look no further than Joe Roach. Joe always had the respect of the youngsters, and the proof of his ability is evident. The names of Ings, Vokes, McQuoid, Pitman immediately spring to mind. This is not about nepotism or jobs for the boys, it is about the ability to bring out the best in potential future stars. But, of course, Eddie already knows Joe's credentials and ability. PaulRaffle
  • Score: 13

7:45pm Wed 8 Jan 14

YafcbY says...

Never understood why the club let Joe Roach go. A victim perhaps of EM creating space for Groves and Brooks? Considering the players he nurtured over the years he had a proven track record. Add the competition faced with Southampton which you could argue has the most successful youth set up in the country, a few miles away from us!

Would love to see Joe Roach back, even if he is not the head of the youth set up, just having his presence back within the fold would be a huge benefit to the club.
Never understood why the club let Joe Roach go. A victim perhaps of EM creating space for Groves and Brooks? Considering the players he nurtured over the years he had a proven track record. Add the competition faced with Southampton which you could argue has the most successful youth set up in the country, a few miles away from us! Would love to see Joe Roach back, even if he is not the head of the youth set up, just having his presence back within the fold would be a huge benefit to the club. YafcbY
  • Score: 8

7:58pm Wed 8 Jan 14

abc100 says...

I know Joe Roach is the one we would all want but what about Sean Odriscoll ??
I know Joe Roach is the one we would all want but what about Sean Odriscoll ?? abc100
  • Score: 8

8:48pm Wed 8 Jan 14

dekayedcherry says...

Joe Roach in his time did a fantastic job for the Cherries but has he or the club moved on ??.The quality players he brought through are all professional footballers now further down the line so will Eddie be looking for younger coaches as a long term project. Trying not to be too ageist as a pensioner myself Joe may not have the drive he had 10 years ago or more and may havesecond thoughts himself ??. Sorry to sound a bit negative re: Joe Roach but EH might have other plans and if Tom Mitchell stays as Youth Team Director(?) will Joe want to effectively work under him ??. UTC.
Joe Roach in his time did a fantastic job for the Cherries but has he or the club moved on ??.The quality players he brought through are all professional footballers now further down the line so will Eddie be looking for younger coaches as a long term project. Trying not to be too ageist as a pensioner myself Joe may not have the drive he had 10 years ago or more and may havesecond thoughts himself ??. Sorry to sound a bit negative re: Joe Roach but EH might have other plans and if Tom Mitchell stays as Youth Team Director(?) will Joe want to effectively work under him ??. UTC. dekayedcherry
  • Score: 7

8:53pm Wed 8 Jan 14

pete woodley says...

dekayedcherry wrote:
Joe Roach in his time did a fantastic job for the Cherries but has he or the club moved on ??.The quality players he brought through are all professional footballers now further down the line so will Eddie be looking for younger coaches as a long term project. Trying not to be too ageist as a pensioner myself Joe may not have the drive he had 10 years ago or more and may havesecond thoughts himself ??. Sorry to sound a bit negative re: Joe Roach but EH might have other plans and if Tom Mitchell stays as Youth Team Director(?) will Joe want to effectively work under him ??. UTC.
Thoughtful comment.Some good points made.
[quote][p][bold]dekayedcherry[/bold] wrote: Joe Roach in his time did a fantastic job for the Cherries but has he or the club moved on ??.The quality players he brought through are all professional footballers now further down the line so will Eddie be looking for younger coaches as a long term project. Trying not to be too ageist as a pensioner myself Joe may not have the drive he had 10 years ago or more and may havesecond thoughts himself ??. Sorry to sound a bit negative re: Joe Roach but EH might have other plans and if Tom Mitchell stays as Youth Team Director(?) will Joe want to effectively work under him ??. UTC.[/p][/quote]Thoughtful comment.Some good points made. pete woodley
  • Score: 5

8:53pm Wed 8 Jan 14

pete woodley says...

dekayedcherry wrote:
Joe Roach in his time did a fantastic job for the Cherries but has he or the club moved on ??.The quality players he brought through are all professional footballers now further down the line so will Eddie be looking for younger coaches as a long term project. Trying not to be too ageist as a pensioner myself Joe may not have the drive he had 10 years ago or more and may havesecond thoughts himself ??. Sorry to sound a bit negative re: Joe Roach but EH might have other plans and if Tom Mitchell stays as Youth Team Director(?) will Joe want to effectively work under him ??. UTC.
Thoughtful comment.Some good points made.
[quote][p][bold]dekayedcherry[/bold] wrote: Joe Roach in his time did a fantastic job for the Cherries but has he or the club moved on ??.The quality players he brought through are all professional footballers now further down the line so will Eddie be looking for younger coaches as a long term project. Trying not to be too ageist as a pensioner myself Joe may not have the drive he had 10 years ago or more and may havesecond thoughts himself ??. Sorry to sound a bit negative re: Joe Roach but EH might have other plans and if Tom Mitchell stays as Youth Team Director(?) will Joe want to effectively work under him ??. UTC.[/p][/quote]Thoughtful comment.Some good points made. pete woodley
  • Score: 3

8:54pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Solentcherry says...

Would be great to have Joe back with his proven expertise. Where is he now? Did he get snapped up by another club ?
Might be more difficult to get him back than we realise.
Would be great to have Joe back with his proven expertise. Where is he now? Did he get snapped up by another club ? Might be more difficult to get him back than we realise. Solentcherry
  • Score: 3

9:10pm Wed 8 Jan 14

exiledcherries says...

It's a no brainer for me - bring back Joe Roach, who should never have been allowed to go in the first place.
It's a no brainer for me - bring back Joe Roach, who should never have been allowed to go in the first place. exiledcherries
  • Score: 5

9:47pm Wed 8 Jan 14

redford says...

Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.
Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's. redford
  • Score: 7

9:49pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Yorkie Cherry says...

I agree with all comments calling for Joe Roach to be reinstated. I am sure he will only come back provided he does on his terms (which wont include Mr Mitchell Jnr who, lets face it, has only got his job in name only and nothing else).
I agree with all comments calling for Joe Roach to be reinstated. I am sure he will only come back provided he does on his terms (which wont include Mr Mitchell Jnr who, lets face it, has only got his job in name only and nothing else). Yorkie Cherry
  • Score: 5

10:34pm Wed 8 Jan 14

raybren says...

Has to be Joe , if he can be persuaded . If not a Smhinto / Oxbog partnership would be interesting !
Has to be Joe , if he can be persuaded . If not a Smhinto / Oxbog partnership would be interesting ! raybren
  • Score: 2

10:59pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Afcbives says...

Just be careful what everyone wants don't get me wrong I love joe roach brought the likes if danny Ings Sam vokes and many others but that was ages ago where has he been since then? I think eddie needs to think about this a lot this determines our future in youth and at this stage it's crucial especially with fa bringing new rules out about how many homegrown players you have to have regards
Just be careful what everyone wants don't get me wrong I love joe roach brought the likes if danny Ings Sam vokes and many others but that was ages ago where has he been since then? I think eddie needs to think about this a lot this determines our future in youth and at this stage it's crucial especially with fa bringing new rules out about how many homegrown players you have to have regards Afcbives
  • Score: 6

11:02pm Wed 8 Jan 14

holdinkæft says...

Joe Roach, who was controversially axed from the position in June 2011.

Why would he want to come back? once bitten twice shy,
lets see
Joe Roach, who was controversially axed from the position in June 2011. Why would he want to come back? once bitten twice shy, lets see holdinkæft
  • Score: 1

11:32pm Wed 8 Jan 14

cheeriedriteup says...

holdinkæft wrote:
Joe Roach, who was controversially axed from the position in June 2011.

Why would he want to come back? once bitten twice shy,
lets see
He needs to come back, the axe is no longer here, a EH came back and made the difference, JR Bournemouth will make a difference, please don't under estimate this position it is vitally important
[quote][p][bold]holdinkæft[/bold] wrote: Joe Roach, who was controversially axed from the position in June 2011. Why would he want to come back? once bitten twice shy, lets see[/p][/quote]He needs to come back, the axe is no longer here, a EH came back and made the difference, JR Bournemouth will make a difference, please don't under estimate this position it is vitally important cheeriedriteup
  • Score: 6

8:56am Thu 9 Jan 14

lofty1971 says...

Thought Joe Roach had moved higher up the ladder to national level coaching?

Might take some persuading to come back but would be great if he did.

For all the good EM did it's becoming obvious that he created jobs for the boys during his reign and the new regime obviously want that resolved.
Thought Joe Roach had moved higher up the ladder to national level coaching? Might take some persuading to come back but would be great if he did. For all the good EM did it's becoming obvious that he created jobs for the boys during his reign and the new regime obviously want that resolved. lofty1971
  • Score: 1

10:12am Thu 9 Jan 14

devon fan says...

we all would like to seeJoe Roach return his record speaks for itself, and I think these moves were long overdue, but why does the club treat these happening as if it were a Mafia convention, apart from salaries there should be no secrets held from the fans, in these instances the clubs website which is there to keep us informed fails to perform, club officials should remember a fan is not just for christmas but for life, we deserve to know what is going on within our club
we all would like to seeJoe Roach return his record speaks for itself, and I think these moves were long overdue, but why does the club treat these happening as if it were a Mafia convention, apart from salaries there should be no secrets held from the fans, in these instances the clubs website which is there to keep us informed fails to perform, club officials should remember a fan is not just for christmas but for life, we deserve to know what is going on within our club devon fan
  • Score: 1

3:39pm Thu 9 Jan 14

CherrySorbet says...

redford wrote:
Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.
Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............
...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards
[quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.[/p][/quote]Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............ ...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards CherrySorbet
  • Score: 1

3:55pm Thu 9 Jan 14

CherrySorbet says...

Load of nonsense written by people with little or no idea of what has gone on within the academy previously and recently. You're cherry fans and have a right to an opinion about your club, but try giving one with at least some idea to the facts.
Any manager coming into this set up will have an infrastructure which hadn't been there previously set up in the main by Paul Groves and Shaun Brooks. The lads starting to come through the 15's, 16's and year 1's are the first group of lads brought into the set up 8 years ago by Matty & Danny Holmes and will be the reason the youth section will start to see success and technically proficient players more adept to the professional game. There's been a lot of politics and various individuals who've not served the club to its best intentions over the years, but the Holmes brothers have not wavered from their own jobs and provided quality coaching and a football education to the lads. The youth set up needs a fresh face with high level experience in the modern game........I'm not sure Joe is the right man, but certainly hope not previous undesirables who remain nameless
Load of nonsense written by people with little or no idea of what has gone on within the academy previously and recently. You're cherry fans and have a right to an opinion about your club, but try giving one with at least some idea to the facts. Any manager coming into this set up will have an infrastructure which hadn't been there previously set up in the main by Paul Groves and Shaun Brooks. The lads starting to come through the 15's, 16's and year 1's are the first group of lads brought into the set up 8 years ago by Matty & Danny Holmes and will be the reason the youth section will start to see success and technically proficient players more adept to the professional game. There's been a lot of politics and various individuals who've not served the club to its best intentions over the years, but the Holmes brothers have not wavered from their own jobs and provided quality coaching and a football education to the lads. The youth set up needs a fresh face with high level experience in the modern game........I'm not sure Joe is the right man, but certainly hope not previous undesirables who remain nameless CherrySorbet
  • Score: 0

5:17pm Thu 9 Jan 14

pete woodley says...

CherrySorbet wrote:
Load of nonsense written by people with little or no idea of what has gone on within the academy previously and recently. You're cherry fans and have a right to an opinion about your club, but try giving one with at least some idea to the facts.
Any manager coming into this set up will have an infrastructure which hadn't been there previously set up in the main by Paul Groves and Shaun Brooks. The lads starting to come through the 15's, 16's and year 1's are the first group of lads brought into the set up 8 years ago by Matty & Danny Holmes and will be the reason the youth section will start to see success and technically proficient players more adept to the professional game. There's been a lot of politics and various individuals who've not served the club to its best intentions over the years, but the Holmes brothers have not wavered from their own jobs and provided quality coaching and a football education to the lads. The youth set up needs a fresh face with high level experience in the modern game........I'm not sure Joe is the right man, but certainly hope not previous undesirables who remain nameless
Why mention undesirables if you cant name them,bit gutless isnt it.
[quote][p][bold]CherrySorbet[/bold] wrote: Load of nonsense written by people with little or no idea of what has gone on within the academy previously and recently. You're cherry fans and have a right to an opinion about your club, but try giving one with at least some idea to the facts. Any manager coming into this set up will have an infrastructure which hadn't been there previously set up in the main by Paul Groves and Shaun Brooks. The lads starting to come through the 15's, 16's and year 1's are the first group of lads brought into the set up 8 years ago by Matty & Danny Holmes and will be the reason the youth section will start to see success and technically proficient players more adept to the professional game. There's been a lot of politics and various individuals who've not served the club to its best intentions over the years, but the Holmes brothers have not wavered from their own jobs and provided quality coaching and a football education to the lads. The youth set up needs a fresh face with high level experience in the modern game........I'm not sure Joe is the right man, but certainly hope not previous undesirables who remain nameless[/p][/quote]Why mention undesirables if you cant name them,bit gutless isnt it. pete woodley
  • Score: 0

7:09pm Thu 9 Jan 14

redford says...

CherrySorbet wrote:
redford wrote:
Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.
Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............

...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards
Possibly got confused or maybe my explanation wasn't that clear. Not a parent as I didn't know about Oxford, sounds to me like you are though. I feel sorry for all the boys in under 16s as they don't know who is going to be managing the COE at a crucial time. Will the scholarships awarded by Brooks and Groves be considered accurate by the new management or will the players without them have enough time to prove themselves to the new manger. Both players will have uncertainty one way or another and parents will want answers. Football is football and opinions and judgements happen. The Groves and Brooks error of scholars will be remembered for the youth cup exits against lesser teams which may well be directed at the choice of players picked for those games and tactics.
[quote][p][bold]CherrySorbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.[/p][/quote]Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............ ...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards[/p][/quote]Possibly got confused or maybe my explanation wasn't that clear. Not a parent as I didn't know about Oxford, sounds to me like you are though. I feel sorry for all the boys in under 16s as they don't know who is going to be managing the COE at a crucial time. Will the scholarships awarded by Brooks and Groves be considered accurate by the new management or will the players without them have enough time to prove themselves to the new manger. Both players will have uncertainty one way or another and parents will want answers. Football is football and opinions and judgements happen. The Groves and Brooks error of scholars will be remembered for the youth cup exits against lesser teams which may well be directed at the choice of players picked for those games and tactics. redford
  • Score: 4

11:55pm Thu 9 Jan 14

easthoweafcb. says...

How about roach and fletch too what an amazing partnership that would be a wealth of experience between them as a coach and a player for a youngster to learn from!
How about roach and fletch too what an amazing partnership that would be a wealth of experience between them as a coach and a player for a youngster to learn from! easthoweafcb.
  • Score: 0

11:10am Fri 10 Jan 14

CherrySorbet says...

pete woodley wrote:
CherrySorbet wrote:
Load of nonsense written by people with little or no idea of what has gone on within the academy previously and recently. You're cherry fans and have a right to an opinion about your club, but try giving one with at least some idea to the facts.
Any manager coming into this set up will have an infrastructure which hadn't been there previously set up in the main by Paul Groves and Shaun Brooks. The lads starting to come through the 15's, 16's and year 1's are the first group of lads brought into the set up 8 years ago by Matty & Danny Holmes and will be the reason the youth section will start to see success and technically proficient players more adept to the professional game. There's been a lot of politics and various individuals who've not served the club to its best intentions over the years, but the Holmes brothers have not wavered from their own jobs and provided quality coaching and a football education to the lads. The youth set up needs a fresh face with high level experience in the modern game........I'm not sure Joe is the right man, but certainly hope not previous undesirables who remain nameless
Why mention undesirables if you cant name them,bit gutless isnt it.
Nothing gutless about showing some tact, clearly something you're devoid of
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CherrySorbet[/bold] wrote: Load of nonsense written by people with little or no idea of what has gone on within the academy previously and recently. You're cherry fans and have a right to an opinion about your club, but try giving one with at least some idea to the facts. Any manager coming into this set up will have an infrastructure which hadn't been there previously set up in the main by Paul Groves and Shaun Brooks. The lads starting to come through the 15's, 16's and year 1's are the first group of lads brought into the set up 8 years ago by Matty & Danny Holmes and will be the reason the youth section will start to see success and technically proficient players more adept to the professional game. There's been a lot of politics and various individuals who've not served the club to its best intentions over the years, but the Holmes brothers have not wavered from their own jobs and provided quality coaching and a football education to the lads. The youth set up needs a fresh face with high level experience in the modern game........I'm not sure Joe is the right man, but certainly hope not previous undesirables who remain nameless[/p][/quote]Why mention undesirables if you cant name them,bit gutless isnt it.[/p][/quote]Nothing gutless about showing some tact, clearly something you're devoid of CherrySorbet
  • Score: 0

11:17am Fri 10 Jan 14

CherrySorbet says...

redford wrote:
CherrySorbet wrote:
redford wrote:
Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.
Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............


...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards
Possibly got confused or maybe my explanation wasn't that clear. Not a parent as I didn't know about Oxford, sounds to me like you are though. I feel sorry for all the boys in under 16s as they don't know who is going to be managing the COE at a crucial time. Will the scholarships awarded by Brooks and Groves be considered accurate by the new management or will the players without them have enough time to prove themselves to the new manger. Both players will have uncertainty one way or another and parents will want answers. Football is football and opinions and judgements happen. The Groves and Brooks error of scholars will be remembered for the youth cup exits against lesser teams which may well be directed at the choice of players picked for those games and tactics.
Not confused at all, you sound like a parent. I happen to be in a position where I'm asked to look at all the age groups not just the 16's. It matters not where or who the teams are, they can only select lads within certain parameters and therefore should not be confused with the level the 1st team plays in. That's not to say the youth team has not been disappointing in recent years, but as I alluded to, the damage is done long before they reach youth team status and Brooks & Groves were picking up the pieces of 'neglect' from seasons gone by.
[quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CherrySorbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.[/p][/quote]Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............ ...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards[/p][/quote]Possibly got confused or maybe my explanation wasn't that clear. Not a parent as I didn't know about Oxford, sounds to me like you are though. I feel sorry for all the boys in under 16s as they don't know who is going to be managing the COE at a crucial time. Will the scholarships awarded by Brooks and Groves be considered accurate by the new management or will the players without them have enough time to prove themselves to the new manger. Both players will have uncertainty one way or another and parents will want answers. Football is football and opinions and judgements happen. The Groves and Brooks error of scholars will be remembered for the youth cup exits against lesser teams which may well be directed at the choice of players picked for those games and tactics.[/p][/quote]Not confused at all, you sound like a parent. I happen to be in a position where I'm asked to look at all the age groups not just the 16's. It matters not where or who the teams are, they can only select lads within certain parameters and therefore should not be confused with the level the 1st team plays in. That's not to say the youth team has not been disappointing in recent years, but as I alluded to, the damage is done long before they reach youth team status and Brooks & Groves were picking up the pieces of 'neglect' from seasons gone by. CherrySorbet
  • Score: -1

12:42pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Redunicorn says...

The return of Joe, one of the country's best and most experienced youth coaches, with Carl Fletcher alongside, a consummate professional with international experience, would be a dream team.
The return of Joe, one of the country's best and most experienced youth coaches, with Carl Fletcher alongside, a consummate professional with international experience, would be a dream team. Redunicorn
  • Score: 0

5:46pm Fri 10 Jan 14

redford says...

CherrySorbet wrote:
redford wrote:
CherrySorbet wrote:
redford wrote:
Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.
Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............



...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards
Possibly got confused or maybe my explanation wasn't that clear. Not a parent as I didn't know about Oxford, sounds to me like you are though. I feel sorry for all the boys in under 16s as they don't know who is going to be managing the COE at a crucial time. Will the scholarships awarded by Brooks and Groves be considered accurate by the new management or will the players without them have enough time to prove themselves to the new manger. Both players will have uncertainty one way or another and parents will want answers. Football is football and opinions and judgements happen. The Groves and Brooks error of scholars will be remembered for the youth cup exits against lesser teams which may well be directed at the choice of players picked for those games and tactics.
Not confused at all, you sound like a parent. I happen to be in a position where I'm asked to look at all the age groups not just the 16's. It matters not where or who the teams are, they can only select lads within certain parameters and therefore should not be confused with the level the 1st team plays in. That's not to say the youth team has not been disappointing in recent years, but as I alluded to, the damage is done long before they reach youth team status and Brooks & Groves were picking up the pieces of 'neglect' from seasons gone by.
What I mean by POSSIBLY confused or MY EXPLANATION NOT CLEAR ENOUGH.

You advised
".to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark" .

My point is that they may well be the best players and deserving of scholarships but as the club and Eddie Howe obviously wanted to remove Groves and Brooks then maybe these scholars are unfairly considered 'Groves and Brooks' picks from the 'Groves and Brooks era. So not actually implying that they are not good enough just that due to some bizarre decisions made by brooks and groves with the first team the current batch of scholars maybe unfairly judged.
[quote][p][bold]CherrySorbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CherrySorbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.[/p][/quote]Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............ ...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards[/p][/quote]Possibly got confused or maybe my explanation wasn't that clear. Not a parent as I didn't know about Oxford, sounds to me like you are though. I feel sorry for all the boys in under 16s as they don't know who is going to be managing the COE at a crucial time. Will the scholarships awarded by Brooks and Groves be considered accurate by the new management or will the players without them have enough time to prove themselves to the new manger. Both players will have uncertainty one way or another and parents will want answers. Football is football and opinions and judgements happen. The Groves and Brooks error of scholars will be remembered for the youth cup exits against lesser teams which may well be directed at the choice of players picked for those games and tactics.[/p][/quote]Not confused at all, you sound like a parent. I happen to be in a position where I'm asked to look at all the age groups not just the 16's. It matters not where or who the teams are, they can only select lads within certain parameters and therefore should not be confused with the level the 1st team plays in. That's not to say the youth team has not been disappointing in recent years, but as I alluded to, the damage is done long before they reach youth team status and Brooks & Groves were picking up the pieces of 'neglect' from seasons gone by.[/p][/quote]What I mean by POSSIBLY confused or MY EXPLANATION NOT CLEAR ENOUGH. You advised ".to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark" . My point is that they may well be the best players and deserving of scholarships but as the club and Eddie Howe obviously wanted to remove Groves and Brooks then maybe these scholars are unfairly considered 'Groves and Brooks' picks from the 'Groves and Brooks era. So not actually implying that they are not good enough just that due to some bizarre decisions made by brooks and groves with the first team the current batch of scholars maybe unfairly judged. redford
  • Score: 1

10:52am Mon 13 Jan 14

CherrySorbet says...

redford wrote:
CherrySorbet wrote:
redford wrote:
CherrySorbet wrote:
redford wrote:
Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.
Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............




...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards
Possibly got confused or maybe my explanation wasn't that clear. Not a parent as I didn't know about Oxford, sounds to me like you are though. I feel sorry for all the boys in under 16s as they don't know who is going to be managing the COE at a crucial time. Will the scholarships awarded by Brooks and Groves be considered accurate by the new management or will the players without them have enough time to prove themselves to the new manger. Both players will have uncertainty one way or another and parents will want answers. Football is football and opinions and judgements happen. The Groves and Brooks error of scholars will be remembered for the youth cup exits against lesser teams which may well be directed at the choice of players picked for those games and tactics.
Not confused at all, you sound like a parent. I happen to be in a position where I'm asked to look at all the age groups not just the 16's. It matters not where or who the teams are, they can only select lads within certain parameters and therefore should not be confused with the level the 1st team plays in. That's not to say the youth team has not been disappointing in recent years, but as I alluded to, the damage is done long before they reach youth team status and Brooks & Groves were picking up the pieces of 'neglect' from seasons gone by.
What I mean by POSSIBLY confused or MY EXPLANATION NOT CLEAR ENOUGH.

You advised
".to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark" .

My point is that they may well be the best players and deserving of scholarships but as the club and Eddie Howe obviously wanted to remove Groves and Brooks then maybe these scholars are unfairly considered 'Groves and Brooks' picks from the 'Groves and Brooks era. So not actually implying that they are not good enough just that due to some bizarre decisions made by brooks and groves with the first team the current batch of scholars maybe unfairly judged.
I think in hindsight, there'll always be a couple of players people will question at a later stage, however the picks generally stem from the advice and feedback the academy manager receives from the U16 coach. Of course they'll want to see them in game situations and training during the week to finalize the award of a scholarship. It's my understanding Shaun Brooks didn't see a lot of the 16's this season on match days due to him being with the youth team. In some regard this may back up some of what you say, but would also suggest advice is taken in the main from the 16's coach
[quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CherrySorbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CherrySorbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.[/p][/quote]Nonsense post...........the 16's manager will have a say and would have had input on those already awarded a scholarship, therefore will advise on those who are remaining. I've managed to watch the 16's this year and they're good, however the one game they've lost this season against Oxford didn't have 4 of the scholars............ ...to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark. They've picked the best out of what has been an average group/s for last few years. Next year and thereafter, there's a plethora of decent players coming through in the main because of the hard work done by Mattie Holmes from the younger ages upwards. You're probably a frustrated parent because you're little Johnny hasn't been awarded a scholarship as yet.........stop the sniping and the blame game and try encouraging and giving him the best opportunity he can have by being bright and supportive. It adds to his game whereas jealousy and negativity will only pull him backwards[/p][/quote]Possibly got confused or maybe my explanation wasn't that clear. Not a parent as I didn't know about Oxford, sounds to me like you are though. I feel sorry for all the boys in under 16s as they don't know who is going to be managing the COE at a crucial time. Will the scholarships awarded by Brooks and Groves be considered accurate by the new management or will the players without them have enough time to prove themselves to the new manger. Both players will have uncertainty one way or another and parents will want answers. Football is football and opinions and judgements happen. The Groves and Brooks error of scholars will be remembered for the youth cup exits against lesser teams which may well be directed at the choice of players picked for those games and tactics.[/p][/quote]Not confused at all, you sound like a parent. I happen to be in a position where I'm asked to look at all the age groups not just the 16's. It matters not where or who the teams are, they can only select lads within certain parameters and therefore should not be confused with the level the 1st team plays in. That's not to say the youth team has not been disappointing in recent years, but as I alluded to, the damage is done long before they reach youth team status and Brooks & Groves were picking up the pieces of 'neglect' from seasons gone by.[/p][/quote]What I mean by POSSIBLY confused or MY EXPLANATION NOT CLEAR ENOUGH. You advised ".to suggest the scholars this year and previous years aren't good enough and was down to Groves and Brooks is a spiteful remark" . My point is that they may well be the best players and deserving of scholarships but as the club and Eddie Howe obviously wanted to remove Groves and Brooks then maybe these scholars are unfairly considered 'Groves and Brooks' picks from the 'Groves and Brooks era. So not actually implying that they are not good enough just that due to some bizarre decisions made by brooks and groves with the first team the current batch of scholars maybe unfairly judged.[/p][/quote]I think in hindsight, there'll always be a couple of players people will question at a later stage, however the picks generally stem from the advice and feedback the academy manager receives from the U16 coach. Of course they'll want to see them in game situations and training during the week to finalize the award of a scholarship. It's my understanding Shaun Brooks didn't see a lot of the 16's this season on match days due to him being with the youth team. In some regard this may back up some of what you say, but would also suggest advice is taken in the main from the 16's coach CherrySorbet
  • Score: 0

6:35pm Mon 13 Jan 14

FootyMum71 says...

redford wrote:
Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.
Well my son is one of the fortunate to be offered his scholarship already and I can confirm that it stands as confirmed by Tom Mitchell and Eddie Howe late last week. I do feel for the boys still waiting but I do believe the boys selected already are there on merit. The u16s is a good team. I have the upmost respect for Shaun and Paul and all the coaches my son has been lucky enough to be coached by so far and we look forward to meeting the new youth team coach.
[quote][p][bold]redford[/bold] wrote: Feel sorry for the current under 16s who are waiting for or who have received scholarships. My friends son is in this age group and they don't know what is going on. The lads who haven't received their scholarships now have only a few weeks to prove themselves to a new manager and the ones who were given scholarships were given them by Brooks and Groves who by all accounts don't appear to have made the right choices in the past. Looking at the youth cup results over the last 2 seasons. Bad timing in my opinion as the under 16s are unbeaten this season and we may loose some good prospect's.[/p][/quote]Well my son is one of the fortunate to be offered his scholarship already and I can confirm that it stands as confirmed by Tom Mitchell and Eddie Howe late last week. I do feel for the boys still waiting but I do believe the boys selected already are there on merit. The u16s is a good team. I have the upmost respect for Shaun and Paul and all the coaches my son has been lucky enough to be coached by so far and we look forward to meeting the new youth team coach. FootyMum71
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree