AFC Bournemouth: Liverpool draw a huge carrot says Howe

FA Cup fan: Cherries boss Eddie Howe

FA Cup fan: Cherries boss Eddie Howe

First published in Sport Bournemouth Echo: Photograph of the Author by

BOSS Eddie Howe has described as “a huge carrot” for both Cherries and Burton the prospect of a potentially-mouthwatering FA Cup clash with Liverpool.

The fourth round draw, which took place earlier today, handed Cherries or the Brewers a home tie against the Premier League big guns over the weekend of January 25 and 26.

Cherries will do battle with the League Two high-fliers a week on Tuesday after yesterday’s scheduled meeting was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Dean Court.

Although the draw was made around 2pm, supporters of both clubs had to wait until after the outcome of Liverpool’s third round tie with Oldham, which kicked off at 3pm.

And, unlike in 2005 when Cherries followers missed out on a trip to Anfield after Liverpool had been eliminated by Burnley, the Reds did not disappoint, beating the Latics 2-0.

Brendan Rodgers fielded a strong starting line-up including England’s Steven Gerrard, while Luis Suarez, the top goalscorer in the Premier League, came off the bench for the seven-times FA Cup winners.

Speaking to the Daily Echo, Howe, who was an unused substitute when Cherries lost 2-0 at Turf Moor nine years ago, said: “I am sure our supporters and those from Burton were absolutely delighted with the draw. A home tie against one of the biggest clubs in the country is what everybody hopes for.

“It has certainly upped the stakes for when we play Burton because you always want to test yourself against the best in the world and the Liverpool squad is packed with fantastic players.

“But nobody here is getting ahead of themselves and I am sure it will be the same at Burton. We both have very important league games to prepare for and that is our immediate priority.”

Howe, who watched his boyhood heroes Everton reach three successive finals between 1984 and 1986, has already stated the FA Cup is not his priority but also said he would be taking the competition “very seriously”.

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert, whose team were the highest profile casualties of the third round after going out to Sheffield United, created a stir ahead of the clash when he said Premier League clubs tended to regard the cup as an inconvenience.

Asked for his response to Lambert’s comments, Howe told the Daily Echo: “Premier League managers’ aims and objectives are different to ours and I can only speak on behalf of this club. The FA Cup is a very important competition to us. It is not about the money for me, it is about wanting to progress as far as you can.

“The cup is special and it always throws up surprises. It has a magical pull and, for me, it has still got it. It may be different in other people’s eyes but, for me, it is still a very powerful cup.”

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:51pm Sun 5 Jan 14

Afcbpete says...

Come on you Reds!!
But Blythe Spartans remember... Not counting my chickens, eggs may be :)
Come on you Reds!! But Blythe Spartans remember... Not counting my chickens, eggs may be :) Afcbpete
  • Score: 6

5:57pm Sun 5 Jan 14

nonnogeppetto says...

Afcbpete wrote:
Come on you Reds!!
But Blythe Spartans remember... Not counting my chickens, eggs may be :)
I had no idea that you had some chickens!!!! I know that you might have had some flightless ones from Iceland!!! as for the eggs! did they come first!!!
[quote][p][bold]Afcbpete[/bold] wrote: Come on you Reds!! But Blythe Spartans remember... Not counting my chickens, eggs may be :)[/p][/quote]I had no idea that you had some chickens!!!! I know that you might have had some flightless ones from Iceland!!! as for the eggs! did they come first!!! nonnogeppetto
  • Score: -1

6:42pm Sun 5 Jan 14

Afcbpete says...

nonnogeppetto wrote:
Afcbpete wrote:
Come on you Reds!!
But Blythe Spartans remember... Not counting my chickens, eggs may be :)
I had no idea that you had some chickens!!!! I know that you might have had some flightless ones from Iceland!!! as for the eggs! did they come first!!!
I've never been to Iceland, been to France though!!
[quote][p][bold]nonnogeppetto[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Afcbpete[/bold] wrote: Come on you Reds!! But Blythe Spartans remember... Not counting my chickens, eggs may be :)[/p][/quote]I had no idea that you had some chickens!!!! I know that you might have had some flightless ones from Iceland!!! as for the eggs! did they come first!!![/p][/quote]I've never been to Iceland, been to France though!! Afcbpete
  • Score: -1

6:47pm Sun 5 Jan 14

devon fan says...

it must be remembered that we hve to beat Burton before we can even think about Liverpool, and it will also be a great incentive for Burton who have a very creditable away record, as the prize money for winning the Burton game and the further rewards could mean a sizeable extra income coming to the club I would expect to Eddiw approach the game in a proffesional manner and select his best available team, if he does this whatever the result we have to accept it, but if he does not and we lose ther could be a feeling that once again the club has missed a great opportunity
it must be remembered that we hve to beat Burton before we can even think about Liverpool, and it will also be a great incentive for Burton who have a very creditable away record, as the prize money for winning the Burton game and the further rewards could mean a sizeable extra income coming to the club I would expect to Eddiw approach the game in a proffesional manner and select his best available team, if he does this whatever the result we have to accept it, but if he does not and we lose ther could be a feeling that once again the club has missed a great opportunity devon fan
  • Score: 9

6:55pm Sun 5 Jan 14

Solentcherry says...

A great draw at last!. So many years we get rubbish draws, the Hartlepools, Oldhams, Darlingtons etc away type of thing. A prem club home or away is what everyone wants, and this rollercoaster of a season has delivered it !.
Firstly, we have to beat Burton of course, and they will be thinking the same thing. I'm sure they will be fired up and a tough nut to crack.
Also good for the finances of course, hopefully one or both matches will attract TV interest and boost the payday even more.
Real Madrid and maybe Liverpool at Dean Court in one season?
Can' t be bad ! ,! COYC.
A great draw at last!. So many years we get rubbish draws, the Hartlepools, Oldhams, Darlingtons etc away type of thing. A prem club home or away is what everyone wants, and this rollercoaster of a season has delivered it !. Firstly, we have to beat Burton of course, and they will be thinking the same thing. I'm sure they will be fired up and a tough nut to crack. Also good for the finances of course, hopefully one or both matches will attract TV interest and boost the payday even more. Real Madrid and maybe Liverpool at Dean Court in one season? Can' t be bad ! ,! COYC. Solentcherry
  • Score: 13

6:56pm Sun 5 Jan 14

nonnogeppetto says...

devon fan wrote:
it must be remembered that we hve to beat Burton before we can even think about Liverpool, and it will also be a great incentive for Burton who have a very creditable away record, as the prize money for winning the Burton game and the further rewards could mean a sizeable extra income coming to the club I would expect to Eddiw approach the game in a proffesional manner and select his best available team, if he does this whatever the result we have to accept it, but if he does not and we lose ther could be a feeling that once again the club has missed a great opportunity
if Forest can beat West Ham 5-0 I am sure that Burton will not come to Bournemouth for a bit of fresh air and as you say I hope EH et al will treat them with the respect they deserve and at the end of day if we play as badly as West Ham did today we will deserve to get beaten. Hopefully we will win and host Liverpool.
[quote][p][bold]devon fan[/bold] wrote: it must be remembered that we hve to beat Burton before we can even think about Liverpool, and it will also be a great incentive for Burton who have a very creditable away record, as the prize money for winning the Burton game and the further rewards could mean a sizeable extra income coming to the club I would expect to Eddiw approach the game in a proffesional manner and select his best available team, if he does this whatever the result we have to accept it, but if he does not and we lose ther could be a feeling that once again the club has missed a great opportunity[/p][/quote]if Forest can beat West Ham 5-0 I am sure that Burton will not come to Bournemouth for a bit of fresh air and as you say I hope EH et al will treat them with the respect they deserve and at the end of day if we play as badly as West Ham did today we will deserve to get beaten. Hopefully we will win and host Liverpool. nonnogeppetto
  • Score: 9

7:20pm Sun 5 Jan 14

West moors 1 says...

Best side please EH, the fans want out club to take on Liverpool so give us the best chance and play our strongest side. It's bigger than Real Madrid!
Best side please EH, the fans want out club to take on Liverpool so give us the best chance and play our strongest side. It's bigger than Real Madrid! West moors 1
  • Score: 10

8:01pm Sun 5 Jan 14

lymicherry says...

Potentially the stand-out tie in an otherwise colourless fourth round draw, and a shoo-in for live TV coverage. Mustn't get ahead of ourselves, mind - I'm old enough to remember Wimbledon coming from behind at DC in 1978/79 to deny us a derby with Southampton...
Potentially the stand-out tie in an otherwise colourless fourth round draw, and a shoo-in for live TV coverage. Mustn't get ahead of ourselves, mind - I'm old enough to remember Wimbledon coming from behind at DC in 1978/79 to deny us a derby with Southampton... lymicherry
  • Score: 5

8:03pm Sun 5 Jan 14

canfordcherry says...

West moors 1 wrote:
Best side please EH, the fans want out club to take on Liverpool so give us the best chance and play our strongest side. It's bigger than Real Madrid!
Totally agree, got to be the strongest 11 from the start against Burton.
[quote][p][bold]West moors 1[/bold] wrote: Best side please EH, the fans want out club to take on Liverpool so give us the best chance and play our strongest side. It's bigger than Real Madrid![/p][/quote]Totally agree, got to be the strongest 11 from the start against Burton. canfordcherry
  • Score: 8

8:06pm Sun 5 Jan 14

canfordcherry says...

Played over the weekend 25/26, wonder if we will we will be moved to a Sunday for tv reasons. I am sure Liverpool will want to bring more than 1200. That doesn't even cover their fans living in Boscombe (for whatever reasons)alone!
Played over the weekend 25/26, wonder if we will we will be moved to a Sunday for tv reasons. I am sure Liverpool will want to bring more than 1200. That doesn't even cover their fans living in Boscombe (for whatever reasons)alone! canfordcherry
  • Score: 7

8:28pm Sun 5 Jan 14

cherrychris75 says...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones. cherrychris75
  • Score: 10

8:40pm Sun 5 Jan 14

bournered26 says...

cherrychris75 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.
I think it is 15% for away fans.
[quote][p][bold]cherrychris75[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.[/p][/quote]I think it is 15% for away fans. bournered26
  • Score: 2

8:43pm Sun 5 Jan 14

abc100 says...

bournered26 wrote:
cherrychris75 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.
I think it is 15% for away fans.
I bet suddenly the rescheduled Burton game will now be a sell out!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]bournered26[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cherrychris75[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.[/p][/quote]I think it is 15% for away fans.[/p][/quote]I bet suddenly the rescheduled Burton game will now be a sell out!!!!! abc100
  • Score: 4

8:54pm Sun 5 Jan 14

RED LETTER DAY says...

. . YEP. . . . If the club say you need your Burton ticket stub to claim a Liverpool ticket that will fill up the ground for the JAN 14th game. . . . I know it will annoy some fair weather fans but hey, . . lets look after the most loyal supporters.
. . YEP. . . . If the club say you need your Burton ticket stub to claim a Liverpool ticket that will fill up the ground for the JAN 14th game. . . . I know it will annoy some fair weather fans but hey, . . lets look after the most loyal supporters. RED LETTER DAY
  • Score: 13

8:56pm Sun 5 Jan 14

cheeriedriteup says...

bournered26 wrote:
cherrychris75 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.
I think it is 15% for away fans.
200/1 for AFCB to lift the FA cup if any one feels lucky
[quote][p][bold]bournered26[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cherrychris75[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.[/p][/quote]I think it is 15% for away fans.[/p][/quote]200/1 for AFCB to lift the FA cup if any one feels lucky cheeriedriteup
  • Score: 4

9:15pm Sun 5 Jan 14

Oakdale12 says...

Afcbpete wrote:
Come on you Reds!!
But Blythe Spartans remember... Not counting my chickens, eggs may be :)
What about Man U
[quote][p][bold]Afcbpete[/bold] wrote: Come on you Reds!! But Blythe Spartans remember... Not counting my chickens, eggs may be :)[/p][/quote]What about Man U Oakdale12
  • Score: 1

9:33pm Sun 5 Jan 14

Solentcherry says...

Just Googled the FA cup rules and its a minimum of 15 percent allocation for away fans.
With the need for segregation etc, maybe the club might give Liverpool the Macdougall stand and open up the whole of the east for home fans ?.
We have to beat Burton first of course.!
Just Googled the FA cup rules and its a minimum of 15 percent allocation for away fans. With the need for segregation etc, maybe the club might give Liverpool the Macdougall stand and open up the whole of the east for home fans ?. We have to beat Burton first of course.! Solentcherry
  • Score: 5

7:24am Mon 6 Jan 14

Richard 1976 says...

canfordcherry wrote:
Played over the weekend 25/26, wonder if we will we will be moved to a Sunday for tv reasons. I am sure Liverpool will want to bring more than 1200. That doesn't even cover their fans living in Boscombe (for whatever reasons)alone!
Sunday afternoon on itv? That would be good. When were we last on telly for a live match because I can't remember its that long ago!
[quote][p][bold]canfordcherry[/bold] wrote: Played over the weekend 25/26, wonder if we will we will be moved to a Sunday for tv reasons. I am sure Liverpool will want to bring more than 1200. That doesn't even cover their fans living in Boscombe (for whatever reasons)alone![/p][/quote]Sunday afternoon on itv? That would be good. When were we last on telly for a live match because I can't remember its that long ago! Richard 1976
  • Score: 0

9:34am Mon 6 Jan 14

wintonCheryl says...

Richard 1976 wrote:
canfordcherry wrote:
Played over the weekend 25/26, wonder if we will we will be moved to a Sunday for tv reasons. I am sure Liverpool will want to bring more than 1200. That doesn't even cover their fans living in Boscombe (for whatever reasons)alone!
Sunday afternoon on itv? That would be good. When were we last on telly for a live match because I can't remember its that long ago!
2 months ago against brighton
[quote][p][bold]Richard 1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]canfordcherry[/bold] wrote: Played over the weekend 25/26, wonder if we will we will be moved to a Sunday for tv reasons. I am sure Liverpool will want to bring more than 1200. That doesn't even cover their fans living in Boscombe (for whatever reasons)alone![/p][/quote]Sunday afternoon on itv? That would be good. When were we last on telly for a live match because I can't remember its that long ago![/p][/quote]2 months ago against brighton wintonCheryl
  • Score: 3

10:24am Mon 6 Jan 14

a real supporter says...

As a season ticket holder I really don't care who else will get the remaining tickets. As long as the whole ground is sold out and revenue is generated for the club. Why should anybody get any sort of priority because they have attended a few (probably the bigger clubs) matches this year or paid a tenner for the cup game. Go and buy the 1/2 season ticket, now available, for the last 11 home games and guarantee yourself a cup ticket. We have Leicester, Burnley, Leeds, QPR, Forest etc all coming, you know it makes sense and you save money.
As a season ticket holder I really don't care who else will get the remaining tickets. As long as the whole ground is sold out and revenue is generated for the club. Why should anybody get any sort of priority because they have attended a few (probably the bigger clubs) matches this year or paid a tenner for the cup game. Go and buy the 1/2 season ticket, now available, for the last 11 home games and guarantee yourself a cup ticket. We have Leicester, Burnley, Leeds, QPR, Forest etc all coming, you know it makes sense and you save money. a real supporter
  • Score: 3

4:50pm Mon 6 Jan 14

galadriel says...

a real supporter wrote:
As a season ticket holder I really don't care who else will get the remaining tickets. As long as the whole ground is sold out and revenue is generated for the club. Why should anybody get any sort of priority because they have attended a few (probably the bigger clubs) matches this year or paid a tenner for the cup game. Go and buy the 1/2 season ticket, now available, for the last 11 home games and guarantee yourself a cup ticket. We have Leicester, Burnley, Leeds, QPR, Forest etc all coming, you know it makes sense and you save money.
I'm on a low income and can only attend a few games when finances allow...it doesn't mean I'm not a real fan! Not everyone can afford to go to matches, but a lot of them still love AFCB!
[quote][p][bold]a real supporter[/bold] wrote: As a season ticket holder I really don't care who else will get the remaining tickets. As long as the whole ground is sold out and revenue is generated for the club. Why should anybody get any sort of priority because they have attended a few (probably the bigger clubs) matches this year or paid a tenner for the cup game. Go and buy the 1/2 season ticket, now available, for the last 11 home games and guarantee yourself a cup ticket. We have Leicester, Burnley, Leeds, QPR, Forest etc all coming, you know it makes sense and you save money.[/p][/quote]I'm on a low income and can only attend a few games when finances allow...it doesn't mean I'm not a real fan! Not everyone can afford to go to matches, but a lot of them still love AFCB! galadriel
  • Score: 1

8:06pm Mon 6 Jan 14

rogthedodge123 says...

The match being called off on Saturday has made the game with Burton more difficult, now that they know a tie with the mighty Liverpool awaits,Im going to keep my fingers crossed and pray that we can get through ...knowing that the FA cup always throws up surprises.Im sure though we will not go out because of complacency
The match being called off on Saturday has made the game with Burton more difficult, now that they know a tie with the mighty Liverpool awaits,Im going to keep my fingers crossed and pray that we can get through ...knowing that the FA cup always throws up surprises.Im sure though we will not go out because of complacency rogthedodge123
  • Score: 0

11:17pm Mon 6 Jan 14

canfordcherry says...

bournered26 wrote:
cherrychris75 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.
I think it is 15% for away fans.
If we only give them 1200-1500 tickets I can see them mobbing up and coming through the fences around the Ted Mac stand where they are smaller, or their usual 'mugging' of home fans on the way to the ground.
[quote][p][bold]bournered26[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cherrychris75[/bold] wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the fa cup away fans get 25%. Thank God I'm a season ticket holder because that won't leave many on general sale. I hope the club use the stubs from yesterday's scheduled Burton match or similar to reward the real fans not the ones that only turn up for the big ones.[/p][/quote]I think it is 15% for away fans.[/p][/quote]If we only give them 1200-1500 tickets I can see them mobbing up and coming through the fences around the Ted Mac stand where they are smaller, or their usual 'mugging' of home fans on the way to the ground. canfordcherry
  • Score: 0

8:39am Tue 7 Jan 14

kangman2012 says...

Solentcherry wrote:
A great draw at last!. So many years we get rubbish draws, the Hartlepools, Oldhams, Darlingtons etc away type of thing. A prem club home or away is what everyone wants, and this rollercoaster of a season has delivered it !.
Firstly, we have to beat Burton of course, and they will be thinking the same thing. I'm sure they will be fired up and a tough nut to crack.
Also good for the finances of course, hopefully one or both matches will attract TV interest and boost the payday even more.
Real Madrid and maybe Liverpool at Dean Court in one season?
Can' t be bad ! ,! COYC.
Hey "Solentcherry" - nothing rubbish about my northern side "DARLO" - good, gutsy football team who'll soon be back in the football league. The EvoStick Northern First Division is simply not used to such class - UTC!
[quote][p][bold]Solentcherry[/bold] wrote: A great draw at last!. So many years we get rubbish draws, the Hartlepools, Oldhams, Darlingtons etc away type of thing. A prem club home or away is what everyone wants, and this rollercoaster of a season has delivered it !. Firstly, we have to beat Burton of course, and they will be thinking the same thing. I'm sure they will be fired up and a tough nut to crack. Also good for the finances of course, hopefully one or both matches will attract TV interest and boost the payday even more. Real Madrid and maybe Liverpool at Dean Court in one season? Can' t be bad ! ,! COYC.[/p][/quote]Hey "Solentcherry" - nothing rubbish about my northern side "DARLO" - good, gutsy football team who'll soon be back in the football league. The EvoStick Northern First Division is simply not used to such class - UTC! kangman2012
  • Score: 0

9:05am Tue 7 Jan 14

Solentcherry says...

All respect kangman, was talking about rubbish DRAWS not rubbish teams.
All respect kangman, was talking about rubbish DRAWS not rubbish teams. Solentcherry
  • Score: 0

10:03am Tue 7 Jan 14

kangman2012 says...

Solentcherry wrote:
All respect kangman, was talking about rubbish DRAWS not rubbish teams.
Respect to you too "Solentcherry" - although Darlington are my northern side (I've even got a scarf) my post was very much "tongue in cheek" - UTC!
[quote][p][bold]Solentcherry[/bold] wrote: All respect kangman, was talking about rubbish DRAWS not rubbish teams.[/p][/quote]Respect to you too "Solentcherry" - although Darlington are my northern side (I've even got a scarf) my post was very much "tongue in cheek" - UTC! kangman2012
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Tue 7 Jan 14

bigfatsteve says...

wintonCheryl wrote:
Richard 1976 wrote:
canfordcherry wrote:
Played over the weekend 25/26, wonder if we will we will be moved to a Sunday for tv reasons. I am sure Liverpool will want to bring more than 1200. That doesn't even cover their fans living in Boscombe (for whatever reasons)alone!
Sunday afternoon on itv? That would be good. When were we last on telly for a live match because I can't remember its that long ago!
2 months ago against brighton
wintonCheryl your such a joker. Alzheimer's is something not to be sneered at!
[quote][p][bold]wintonCheryl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Richard 1976[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]canfordcherry[/bold] wrote: Played over the weekend 25/26, wonder if we will we will be moved to a Sunday for tv reasons. I am sure Liverpool will want to bring more than 1200. That doesn't even cover their fans living in Boscombe (for whatever reasons)alone![/p][/quote]Sunday afternoon on itv? That would be good. When were we last on telly for a live match because I can't remember its that long ago![/p][/quote]2 months ago against brighton[/p][/quote]wintonCheryl your such a joker. Alzheimer's is something not to be sneered at! bigfatsteve
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree