Cherries: Seaborne back to his best after attack ordeal

Bournemouth Echo: DEBUT: Dan Seaborne in action for Cherries on Tuesday DEBUT: Dan Seaborne in action for Cherries on Tuesday

HAVING beaten the odds to play football again, helping Cherries stamp their Championship dream ticket should be a breeze for Dan Seaborne.

Just 16 months ago, Seaborne was laid up in Southampton General Hospital having been the victim of a brutal attack outside a nightclub in the city. Serious and, at the time, potentially life-threatening head injuries had left his career in the balance.

Fast forward to January 24 2013 and Seaborne is sitting in the Dean Court press room, a picture of health that makes a mockery of the ordeal he suffered in September 2011.

“I feel as close to the level I was at in 2011 as I have done since recovering from what happened,” said Seaborne.

“I feel I am back on it, but there was a very real fear that I wouldn’t play again. The doctors said there was only a slim chance of me playing any football again, let alone professional football.

“But I never really had any doubts myself. I just had to get through that period and see where I ended up and, thankfully, I have ended up in a great place.

“I had never been one to take things for granted anyway, but what happened did make me thankful for the people that I have around me. It was a tough period in my life, but it made me even more mentally strong and determined.”

The 25-year-old made good progress while his Southampton team-mates coasted to Premier League promotion and was back on the training pitch in July as Nigel Adkins’s side prepared for life back in the top-flight.

Seaborne returned to first-team action for Saints’ three Capital One Cup clashes, but was overlooked for a league start as Adkins opted for Jos Hooiveld and Jose Fonte in central defence.

A loan spell at Charlton followed in November and December, before Seaborne made the switch to Dean Court on Thursday. The ink on his loan agreement, which expires at the end of the season, was still wet when Adkins was sacked less than 24 hours later.

“It was a little bit weird seeing the manager go like that,” added Seaborne. “But my focus at the moment is solely on Bournemouth so that is out of my mind.

“I had a really good time at Charlton, but I am a Southampton player until the end of the season and then there are a couple of things in my contract that need to be sorted out. There is an option for another year so I have to see what happens with that, but I’m going to really enjoy my time here and help push Bournemouth up the league. I’ll do that and then take it from there.

“I will have contact with people at Southampton and that has always been the case throughout my loan spells. But the main focus is on being here – we’ve managed to get into sixth spot and we want to push on.”

Seaborne made his Cherries debut in Tuesday night’s 2-1 win at Hartlepool, as Eddie Howe’s men edged themselves into the play-off picture for the first time this season. He is likely to keep his place when Crewe roll into Dorset on Saturday.

“It feels really good to be here and we got the win on Tuesday night which was a great starting point for us to push on going into this weekend,” said Seaborne.

“Once I had come here and met everyone, I wanted to sort out the loan. It was great to get it done and play on Tuesday night.

“I came down without having signed and took a look around. It’s really similar to Southampton in terms of the set-up and it was all positive, so that’s why I signed so quickly.

“I have played against Eddie Howe’s teams a number of times and he has always set his sides up well technically and I have got a great vibe from him.

“He is a really intellectual guy and has great people around him so I am looking forward to playing for him.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:46pm Thu 24 Jan 13

wookj1 says...

Daniel is a smashing lad. At Exeter tended to have three 9/10 games, then a 7/10, then three 9/10 and so on.
Is older and wiser now.
Undoubtedly one of the most talented lads to come through the Exeter City youth set up in the last 20 years, along with Dean Moxey.
Best of luck at Bournemouth Daniel.
Daniel is a smashing lad. At Exeter tended to have three 9/10 games, then a 7/10, then three 9/10 and so on. Is older and wiser now. Undoubtedly one of the most talented lads to come through the Exeter City youth set up in the last 20 years, along with Dean Moxey. Best of luck at Bournemouth Daniel. wookj1

8:55pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Old Muso says...

Hmmm...I thought we were briefly in a play-off position before the Swindon game?
Hmmm...I thought we were briefly in a play-off position before the Swindon game? Old Muso

9:59pm Thu 24 Jan 13

raybren says...

His form is going to be vital as Cook is
playing at Old Bailey and Addison is
"judged" to be dodgy at the back.
Partington can fill in but there is nothing
like experience.
"Verdict",Eddie guilty of making a good
signing!
His form is going to be vital as Cook is playing at Old Bailey and Addison is "judged" to be dodgy at the back. Partington can fill in but there is nothing like experience. "Verdict",Eddie guilty of making a good signing! raybren

10:48pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Bournesouthmouth Downpokes says...

So sick to hear of "town centre violence"!! Glad to hear Dan pulled thru OK. UTC!
So sick to hear of "town centre violence"!! Glad to hear Dan pulled thru OK. UTC! Bournesouthmouth Downpokes

11:43pm Thu 24 Jan 13

The Renegade Master says...

Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains!

Yes scummers, you ARE going down!
Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains! Yes scummers, you ARE going down! The Renegade Master

6:45am Fri 25 Jan 13

Wilkie says...

One of my fears is the seemingly mad decision of Saints to replace successful Nigel Atkins with the failed La Liga manager not coming off. The Saints board may then realise what an almighty **** up they have made want to bring back a manager with Nigel Adkins pedigree of working miracles at a small club. Now who might they look towards, and who might fancy it? So, we might be better in hoping that the Saints stay up.
One of my fears is the seemingly mad decision of Saints to replace successful Nigel Atkins with the failed La Liga manager not coming off. The Saints board may then realise what an almighty **** up they have made want to bring back a manager with Nigel Adkins pedigree of working miracles at a small club. Now who might they look towards, and who might fancy it? So, we might be better in hoping that the Saints stay up. Wilkie

12:42pm Fri 25 Jan 13

hedge end bob says...

The Renegade Master wrote:
Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains!

Yes scummers, you ARE going down!
Your post had a lot of truth in it until that stupid last sentance. Dan will do a good job for you at C B or F B. I M O DAN's leval of football is Championship, and as he will be out of contract with my small club..LOL. You will have a good chance to pickup a good player for little money. I think Dan has seen this oppertunity in the summer and sounds like he would grab it with both hands.

Good Luck Sat, keep the winning run going, get back to back promotion and we can have a local Derby not too far in the future.

UTCIAD.
[quote][p][bold]The Renegade Master[/bold] wrote: Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains! Yes scummers, you ARE going down![/p][/quote]Your post had a lot of truth in it until that stupid last sentance. Dan will do a good job for you at C B or F B. I M O DAN's leval of football is Championship, and as he will be out of contract with my small club..LOL. You will have a good chance to pickup a good player for little money. I think Dan has seen this oppertunity in the summer and sounds like he would grab it with both hands. Good Luck Sat, keep the winning run going, get back to back promotion and we can have a local Derby not too far in the future. UTCIAD. hedge end bob

6:43pm Fri 25 Jan 13

nonnogeppetto says...

hedge end bob wrote:
The Renegade Master wrote:
Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains!

Yes scummers, you ARE going down!
Your post had a lot of truth in it until that stupid last sentance. Dan will do a good job for you at C B or F B. I M O DAN's leval of football is Championship, and as he will be out of contract with my small club..LOL. You will have a good chance to pickup a good player for little money. I think Dan has seen this oppertunity in the summer and sounds like he would grab it with both hands.

Good Luck Sat, keep the winning run going, get back to back promotion and we can have a local Derby not too far in the future.

UTCIAD.
Hedge end bob I feel that I need to clarify something which I posted regarding your new manager.

As you probably know, people migrate from country to country (I am one of those!) and I have no doubt that somewhere along the line the surname Pochettino was derived from an Italian migrant to Argentina (I think I am correct about your manager being from Argentina!) so whilst they may pronounce his surname differently the fact remains that ‘Pochettino’ is an Italian name/word meaning very little. For example if you were in Italy and someone asked ‘would you like…’ and your answer was yes a small amount you would answer ‘si un pochettino’ phonetically pronounced ‘pocketeeno’ and not Potchetteeno’.

Anyway I hope that he will deliver for you and your fellow supporters and keep you in the Premiership. If nothing else because I could not stand the garbage that some ur supporters and your would post on our respective sites. Best wishes
[quote][p][bold]hedge end bob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Renegade Master[/bold] wrote: Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains! Yes scummers, you ARE going down![/p][/quote]Your post had a lot of truth in it until that stupid last sentance. Dan will do a good job for you at C B or F B. I M O DAN's leval of football is Championship, and as he will be out of contract with my small club..LOL. You will have a good chance to pickup a good player for little money. I think Dan has seen this oppertunity in the summer and sounds like he would grab it with both hands. Good Luck Sat, keep the winning run going, get back to back promotion and we can have a local Derby not too far in the future. UTCIAD.[/p][/quote]Hedge end bob I feel that I need to clarify something which I posted regarding your new manager. As you probably know, people migrate from country to country (I am one of those!) and I have no doubt that somewhere along the line the surname Pochettino was derived from an Italian migrant to Argentina (I think I am correct about your manager being from Argentina!) so whilst they may pronounce his surname differently the fact remains that ‘Pochettino’ is an Italian name/word meaning very little. For example if you were in Italy and someone asked ‘would you like…’ and your answer was yes a small amount you would answer ‘si un pochettino’ phonetically pronounced ‘pocketeeno’ and not Potchetteeno’. Anyway I hope that he will deliver for you and your fellow supporters and keep you in the Premiership. If nothing else because I could not stand the garbage that some ur supporters and your would post on our respective sites. Best wishes nonnogeppetto

7:44pm Fri 25 Jan 13

hedge end bob says...

nonnogeppetto wrote:
hedge end bob wrote:
The Renegade Master wrote:
Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains!

Yes scummers, you ARE going down!
Your post had a lot of truth in it until that stupid last sentance. Dan will do a good job for you at C B or F B. I M O DAN's leval of football is Championship, and as he will be out of contract with my small club..LOL. You will have a good chance to pickup a good player for little money. I think Dan has seen this oppertunity in the summer and sounds like he would grab it with both hands.

Good Luck Sat, keep the winning run going, get back to back promotion and we can have a local Derby not too far in the future.

UTCIAD.
Hedge end bob I feel that I need to clarify something which I posted regarding your new manager.

As you probably know, people migrate from country to country (I am one of those!) and I have no doubt that somewhere along the line the surname Pochettino was derived from an Italian migrant to Argentina (I think I am correct about your manager being from Argentina!) so whilst they may pronounce his surname differently the fact remains that ‘Pochettino’ is an Italian name/word meaning very little. For example if you were in Italy and someone asked ‘would you like…’ and your answer was yes a small amount you would answer ‘si un pochettino’ phonetically pronounced ‘pocketeeno’ and not Potchetteeno’.

Anyway I hope that he will deliver for you and your fellow supporters and keep you in the Premiership. If nothing else because I could not stand the garbage that some ur supporters and your would post on our respective sites. Best wishes
Thanks mate, though to look at him he ooks a bit tubby....not very small.

Agree about the garbage from both sets, can not see what they get out of it myself.

Do you have trouble with the post you submit??. On our site it's not always hat you type. Letters go missing and replaced by others or none at all.

Good luck too you for the rest of the season. I really hope you do go up this year, and who knows with POMPEY in a state it might turn out that your our local team. Like you say
UTCIAD ....my second team.
[quote][p][bold]nonnogeppetto[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hedge end bob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Renegade Master[/bold] wrote: Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains! Yes scummers, you ARE going down![/p][/quote]Your post had a lot of truth in it until that stupid last sentance. Dan will do a good job for you at C B or F B. I M O DAN's leval of football is Championship, and as he will be out of contract with my small club..LOL. You will have a good chance to pickup a good player for little money. I think Dan has seen this oppertunity in the summer and sounds like he would grab it with both hands. Good Luck Sat, keep the winning run going, get back to back promotion and we can have a local Derby not too far in the future. UTCIAD.[/p][/quote]Hedge end bob I feel that I need to clarify something which I posted regarding your new manager. As you probably know, people migrate from country to country (I am one of those!) and I have no doubt that somewhere along the line the surname Pochettino was derived from an Italian migrant to Argentina (I think I am correct about your manager being from Argentina!) so whilst they may pronounce his surname differently the fact remains that ‘Pochettino’ is an Italian name/word meaning very little. For example if you were in Italy and someone asked ‘would you like…’ and your answer was yes a small amount you would answer ‘si un pochettino’ phonetically pronounced ‘pocketeeno’ and not Potchetteeno’. Anyway I hope that he will deliver for you and your fellow supporters and keep you in the Premiership. If nothing else because I could not stand the garbage that some ur supporters and your would post on our respective sites. Best wishes[/p][/quote]Thanks mate, though to look at him he ooks a bit tubby....not very small. Agree about the garbage from both sets, can not see what they get out of it myself. Do you have trouble with the post you submit??. On our site it's not always hat you type. Letters go missing and replaced by others or none at all. Good luck too you for the rest of the season. I really hope you do go up this year, and who knows with POMPEY in a state it might turn out that your our local team. Like you say UTCIAD ....my second team. hedge end bob

7:57pm Fri 25 Jan 13

nonnogeppetto says...

hedge end bob wrote:
nonnogeppetto wrote:
hedge end bob wrote:
The Renegade Master wrote:
Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains!

Yes scummers, you ARE going down!
Your post had a lot of truth in it until that stupid last sentance. Dan will do a good job for you at C B or F B. I M O DAN's leval of football is Championship, and as he will be out of contract with my small club..LOL. You will have a good chance to pickup a good player for little money. I think Dan has seen this oppertunity in the summer and sounds like he would grab it with both hands.

Good Luck Sat, keep the winning run going, get back to back promotion and we can have a local Derby not too far in the future.

UTCIAD.
Hedge end bob I feel that I need to clarify something which I posted regarding your new manager.

As you probably know, people migrate from country to country (I am one of those!) and I have no doubt that somewhere along the line the surname Pochettino was derived from an Italian migrant to Argentina (I think I am correct about your manager being from Argentina!) so whilst they may pronounce his surname differently the fact remains that ‘Pochettino’ is an Italian name/word meaning very little. For example if you were in Italy and someone asked ‘would you like…’ and your answer was yes a small amount you would answer ‘si un pochettino’ phonetically pronounced ‘pocketeeno’ and not Potchetteeno’.

Anyway I hope that he will deliver for you and your fellow supporters and keep you in the Premiership. If nothing else because I could not stand the garbage that some ur supporters and your would post on our respective sites. Best wishes
Thanks mate, though to look at him he ooks a bit tubby....not very small.

Agree about the garbage from both sets, can not see what they get out of it myself.

Do you have trouble with the post you submit??. On our site it's not always hat you type. Letters go missing and replaced by others or none at all.

Good luck too you for the rest of the season. I really hope you do go up this year, and who knows with POMPEY in a state it might turn out that your our local team. Like you say
UTCIAD ....my second team.
I don't know if it is down to my cordless keyboard or what sometimes I proof read what I have typed over and over only to find that letter do go walkabouts!!

Sometimes when I try to use my wife's laptop it is like watching the old teleprinter press a key and half an hour later it will appear!!!!
[quote][p][bold]hedge end bob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nonnogeppetto[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hedge end bob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Renegade Master[/bold] wrote: Dan is going to be a key player for us over the next few weeks/months and if he does his job 100% right he will either earn a new deal at Stains or maybe even come back here permanently in the summer. Regular Championship football is his realistic level, so next season he will have a choice. AFCB or Stains! Yes scummers, you ARE going down![/p][/quote]Your post had a lot of truth in it until that stupid last sentance. Dan will do a good job for you at C B or F B. I M O DAN's leval of football is Championship, and as he will be out of contract with my small club..LOL. You will have a good chance to pickup a good player for little money. I think Dan has seen this oppertunity in the summer and sounds like he would grab it with both hands. Good Luck Sat, keep the winning run going, get back to back promotion and we can have a local Derby not too far in the future. UTCIAD.[/p][/quote]Hedge end bob I feel that I need to clarify something which I posted regarding your new manager. As you probably know, people migrate from country to country (I am one of those!) and I have no doubt that somewhere along the line the surname Pochettino was derived from an Italian migrant to Argentina (I think I am correct about your manager being from Argentina!) so whilst they may pronounce his surname differently the fact remains that ‘Pochettino’ is an Italian name/word meaning very little. For example if you were in Italy and someone asked ‘would you like…’ and your answer was yes a small amount you would answer ‘si un pochettino’ phonetically pronounced ‘pocketeeno’ and not Potchetteeno’. Anyway I hope that he will deliver for you and your fellow supporters and keep you in the Premiership. If nothing else because I could not stand the garbage that some ur supporters and your would post on our respective sites. Best wishes[/p][/quote]Thanks mate, though to look at him he ooks a bit tubby....not very small. Agree about the garbage from both sets, can not see what they get out of it myself. Do you have trouble with the post you submit??. On our site it's not always hat you type. Letters go missing and replaced by others or none at all. Good luck too you for the rest of the season. I really hope you do go up this year, and who knows with POMPEY in a state it might turn out that your our local team. Like you say UTCIAD ....my second team.[/p][/quote]I don't know if it is down to my cordless keyboard or what sometimes I proof read what I have typed over and over only to find that letter do go walkabouts!! Sometimes when I try to use my wife's laptop it is like watching the old teleprinter press a key and half an hour later it will appear!!!! nonnogeppetto

7:58pm Fri 25 Jan 13

nonnogeppetto says...

It just done it again I types letters
It just done it again I types letters nonnogeppetto

9:01pm Fri 25 Jan 13

jakeysredd says...

Listening to the radio the day of the Everton game, the saints fans were fuming over the sacking of Adkins, protests were planned with white hanky waving etc, Watched the game that night on Sky a few chants for Adkins etc, that was it even seen a saints fan with an 'Argie shirt' shame on you !!! good luck with 'pinnocio' or what ever his name is for a while,
Listening to the radio the day of the Everton game, the saints fans were fuming over the sacking of Adkins, protests were planned with white hanky waving etc, Watched the game that night on Sky a few chants for Adkins etc, that was it even seen a saints fan with an 'Argie shirt' shame on you !!! good luck with 'pinnocio' or what ever his name is for a while, jakeysredd

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree