Updated: 91-year-old suffers serious injury in mobility scooter crash

Bournemouth Echo: The crash scene yesterday The crash scene yesterday

A 91-YEAR-OLD man was seriously injured after his mobility scooter was in a collision with an oncoming van.

Dorset Police said he suffered “possibly life changing injuries” to his head, hand and pelvis in Ferndown yesterday.

The scooter driver, who was from Ferndown, was injured in a layby at around noon on the A348 Ringwood Road by the Church Road junction.

Jayne Dimpsey, 46, from nearby St Mary’s veterinary surgery, said: “I heard what sounded like a vehicle braking.

“I turned round and saw the chap in the road.

“He had a big bump on his head and the backs of his hands had been scraped. I just said, ‘Don’t move’.

“He said that he was on the pavement and his wheel went off the kerb.

“The van driver was on his phone to the paramedics. The wheelchair was on its side.”

The scooter was heading towards Ferndown centre. The Vauxhall Vivaro was driven by a 53-year-old Poole man.

Traffic police examined the scene and chalked out two blood stains on the ground and a scrape on the kerb.

The scooter stood apparently undamaged in the layby, just south of the junction, and was wheeled away for checks.

Janet Bourne, 68, a retired manager of a women’s refuge, said: “I saw the gentleman lying on his back by the kerb.

“He seemed to be unconscious. There were lots of |people around him and an ambulance.”

Barry Russell, 38, a Ferndown council worker from Bournemouth, said: “I saw what looked like a pillow with a lot of blood on it.

“The man was absolutely still. He had an oxygen mask on.”

Sgt Rhys Griffiths said at the scene: “It’s a serious road traffic collision.”

South West Ambulance Service said it took the victim to Poole Hospital.

Police closed off the westbound carriageway and the road was reopened around 4pm.

The van was also taken away for further investigation.

Witnesses to the incident are asked to call PC 1936 Rogers on 101.

Comments (43)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:38pm Tue 19 Jun 12

Lupatria2 says...

The actual site of the accident is along Wimborne Road East past the traffic lights at Church Road. The police and ambulance are in attendance but NOT outside the church as reported.
Sometimes I do not understand why people have to "bash" senior citizens and/or the disabled. Unfortunately they cannot help being older and disabled. Not all senior citizens are in their dotage and shouldn't be let out without a minder - most of them still retain their full faculties.
We don't know the circumstances of how this poor gentleman came off his mobility scooter and, therefore, should not be making fun of the situation.
The actual site of the accident is along Wimborne Road East past the traffic lights at Church Road. The police and ambulance are in attendance but NOT outside the church as reported. Sometimes I do not understand why people have to "bash" senior citizens and/or the disabled. Unfortunately they cannot help being older and disabled. Not all senior citizens are in their dotage and shouldn't be let out without a minder - most of them still retain their full faculties. We don't know the circumstances of how this poor gentleman came off his mobility scooter and, therefore, should not be making fun of the situation. Lupatria2

4:16pm Tue 19 Jun 12

Huey says...

These motability scooters are a danger to traffic and themselves on the road, and pedestrians on the pavement.
The sooner scientists invent bionic legs, the better.
These motability scooters are a danger to traffic and themselves on the road, and pedestrians on the pavement. The sooner scientists invent bionic legs, the better. Huey

4:28pm Tue 19 Jun 12

EGHH says...

Mobility scooters should not be allowed on the highway and users of them should be made to take a basic test on how to drive tehm.

Are they insured I ask? What happens if a scooter runs over a small child? They need to be regulated.

I'm not against disabled people using them but I do object to the obese using them. They are not disabled, just fat!!

Someday a mobility scooter user will get killed and the motorist will no doubt get the blame.
Mobility scooters should not be allowed on the highway and users of them should be made to take a basic test on how to drive tehm. Are they insured I ask? What happens if a scooter runs over a small child? They need to be regulated. I'm not against disabled people using them but I do object to the obese using them. They are not disabled, just fat!! Someday a mobility scooter user will get killed and the motorist will no doubt get the blame. EGHH

4:35pm Tue 19 Jun 12

eaststandman says...

EGHH wrote:
Mobility scooters should not be allowed on the highway and users of them should be made to take a basic test on how to drive tehm.

Are they insured I ask? What happens if a scooter runs over a small child? They need to be regulated.

I'm not against disabled people using them but I do object to the obese using them. They are not disabled, just fat!!

Someday a mobility scooter user will get killed and the motorist will no doubt get the blame.
I agree. though most scooters aren't on the highway, they're on the pavement or in the aisles of supermarkets knocking everything off the shelves !

In fact the one i saw today across the new forest thinks he's a quad bike.

I don't think this should descend into an attack on the elderly though, as 50% of them are driven by people who are just too **** fat to walk.
[quote][p][bold]EGHH[/bold] wrote: Mobility scooters should not be allowed on the highway and users of them should be made to take a basic test on how to drive tehm. Are they insured I ask? What happens if a scooter runs over a small child? They need to be regulated. I'm not against disabled people using them but I do object to the obese using them. They are not disabled, just fat!! Someday a mobility scooter user will get killed and the motorist will no doubt get the blame.[/p][/quote]I agree. though most scooters aren't on the highway, they're on the pavement or in the aisles of supermarkets knocking everything off the shelves ! In fact the one i saw today across the new forest thinks he's a quad bike. I don't think this should descend into an attack on the elderly though, as 50% of them are driven by people who are just too **** fat to walk. eaststandman

4:36pm Tue 19 Jun 12

speedy231278 says...

Supposedly this situation is still ongoing. How long does it take to clear a scooter off the road?
Supposedly this situation is still ongoing. How long does it take to clear a scooter off the road? speedy231278

4:38pm Tue 19 Jun 12

burgerboy says...

retry69 wrote:
Lupatria2 wrote: The actual site of the accident is along Wimborne Road East past the traffic lights at Church Road. The police and ambulance are in attendance but NOT outside the church as reported. Sometimes I do not understand why people have to "bash" senior citizens and/or the disabled. Unfortunately they cannot help being older and disabled. Not all senior citizens are in their dotage and shouldn't be let out without a minder - most of them still retain their full faculties. We don't know the circumstances of how this poor gentleman came off his mobility scooter and, therefore, should not be making fun of the situation.
Of course you are quite correct in your comments unfortunately if you are a regular to the comment option you would know there are many who rather than leave a worth while comment would rather ridicule anyone for the slightest reason its best just to rise above it.In this case lets hope the gentleman recovers from any injury and upset
Totaly agree "retry69 & Lupatria2",As i said before my previous comment was removed we should wait to see the outcome of this incident before incentive joking remarks are made!!! THANK YOU.
[quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lupatria2[/bold] wrote: The actual site of the accident is along Wimborne Road East past the traffic lights at Church Road. The police and ambulance are in attendance but NOT outside the church as reported. Sometimes I do not understand why people have to "bash" senior citizens and/or the disabled. Unfortunately they cannot help being older and disabled. Not all senior citizens are in their dotage and shouldn't be let out without a minder - most of them still retain their full faculties. We don't know the circumstances of how this poor gentleman came off his mobility scooter and, therefore, should not be making fun of the situation.[/p][/quote]Of course you are quite correct in your comments unfortunately if you are a regular to the comment option you would know there are many who rather than leave a worth while comment would rather ridicule anyone for the slightest reason its best just to rise above it.In this case lets hope the gentleman recovers from any injury and upset[/p][/quote]Totaly agree "retry69 & Lupatria2",As i said before my previous comment was removed we should wait to see the outcome of this incident before incentive joking remarks are made!!! THANK YOU. burgerboy

4:46pm Tue 19 Jun 12

marketboy says...

I was in a cafe in Fordingbridge and a lady on a mobility scooter drove in slowly,couldn't stop it and crashed into a
table'
Fortunately,no one was sitting there,but,she then parked it and walked over to the counter!
I was in a cafe in Fordingbridge and a lady on a mobility scooter drove in slowly,couldn't stop it and crashed into a table' Fortunately,no one was sitting there,but,she then parked it and walked over to the counter! marketboy

4:57pm Tue 19 Jun 12

Franks Tank says...

If we are fortunate to make it to old age without dying suddenly there is a good chance we will all become disabled in some way.
It's in the post & coming your way whether you like it or not.
Think on that one for a while.
If we are fortunate to make it to old age without dying suddenly there is a good chance we will all become disabled in some way. It's in the post & coming your way whether you like it or not. Think on that one for a while. Franks Tank

5:18pm Tue 19 Jun 12

uvox44 says...

wallydown-when you say most do you actually know that (figures please) or is it just your prejudiced view?
wallydown-when you say most do you actually know that (figures please) or is it just your prejudiced view? uvox44

6:22pm Tue 19 Jun 12

Was Charlie says...

EGHH and eaststandman, How do you know that a person hasn't become overweight because they aren't able to exercise because of illness?
.....
marketboyand wallydown, People who use mobility scooters can walk short distances, so the lady would be able to park her scooter and walk to the counter and back. If she was unable to walk at all, she'd be in a wheelchair.
......
Unfortunately many people don't understand how people suffer with mobility problems, the conditions that can cause it and why people use these scooters. Pity there isn't more education on the subject and more understanding. Maybe then there'd be fewer ignorant comments.
EGHH and eaststandman, How do you know that a person hasn't become overweight because they aren't able to exercise because of illness? ..... marketboyand wallydown, People who use mobility scooters can walk short distances, so the lady would be able to park her scooter and walk to the counter and back. If she was unable to walk at all, she'd be in a wheelchair. ...... Unfortunately many people don't understand how people suffer with mobility problems, the conditions that can cause it and why people use these scooters. Pity there isn't more education on the subject and more understanding. Maybe then there'd be fewer ignorant comments. Was Charlie

6:30pm Tue 19 Jun 12

pete woodley says...

Was Charlie wrote:
EGHH and eaststandman, How do you know that a person hasn't become overweight because they aren't able to exercise because of illness?
.....
marketboyand wallydown, People who use mobility scooters can walk short distances, so the lady would be able to park her scooter and walk to the counter and back. If she was unable to walk at all, she'd be in a wheelchair.
......
Unfortunately many people don't understand how people suffer with mobility problems, the conditions that can cause it and why people use these scooters. Pity there isn't more education on the subject and more understanding. Maybe then there'd be fewer ignorant comments.
Thanks for that,Far too many having a nasty dig at the disabled.
[quote][p][bold]Was Charlie[/bold] wrote: EGHH and eaststandman, How do you know that a person hasn't become overweight because they aren't able to exercise because of illness? ..... marketboyand wallydown, People who use mobility scooters can walk short distances, so the lady would be able to park her scooter and walk to the counter and back. If she was unable to walk at all, she'd be in a wheelchair. ...... Unfortunately many people don't understand how people suffer with mobility problems, the conditions that can cause it and why people use these scooters. Pity there isn't more education on the subject and more understanding. Maybe then there'd be fewer ignorant comments.[/p][/quote]Thanks for that,Far too many having a nasty dig at the disabled. pete woodley

7:01pm Tue 19 Jun 12

yummymummyof4 says...

My mum is using a scooter and shes only in her early 50`s, shes had a hip replacement but still suffers terrible pain and she also has a crumbling spine, she cants walk to far as she is in terrible pain and without her scooter would be and was house bound. I would hate to be stuck indoors all day everyday as would most people so scooters help, I know some people do use them as they are just lazy but not all of them are they have a need for them.

My mum did have to be insured for her scooter just in case of an accident but im unsure if everyone is, There are a lot of people who will run you down if you get in the way etc but just because of the few idiots doesnt mean they should all be tared with the same brush
My mum is using a scooter and shes only in her early 50`s, shes had a hip replacement but still suffers terrible pain and she also has a crumbling spine, she cants walk to far as she is in terrible pain and without her scooter would be and was house bound. I would hate to be stuck indoors all day everyday as would most people so scooters help, I know some people do use them as they are just lazy but not all of them are they have a need for them. My mum did have to be insured for her scooter just in case of an accident but im unsure if everyone is, There are a lot of people who will run you down if you get in the way etc but just because of the few idiots doesnt mean they should all be tared with the same brush yummymummyof4

7:04pm Tue 19 Jun 12

s-pb2 says...

EGHH wrote:
Mobility scooters should not be allowed on the highway and users of them should be made to take a basic test on how to drive tehm.

Are they insured I ask? What happens if a scooter runs over a small child? They need to be regulated.

I'm not against disabled people using them but I do object to the obese using them. They are not disabled, just fat!!

Someday a mobility scooter user will get killed and the motorist will no doubt get the blame.
And would you do the same for 7 year old kids riding a bike? Course you wouldnt!
[quote][p][bold]EGHH[/bold] wrote: Mobility scooters should not be allowed on the highway and users of them should be made to take a basic test on how to drive tehm. Are they insured I ask? What happens if a scooter runs over a small child? They need to be regulated. I'm not against disabled people using them but I do object to the obese using them. They are not disabled, just fat!! Someday a mobility scooter user will get killed and the motorist will no doubt get the blame.[/p][/quote]And would you do the same for 7 year old kids riding a bike? Course you wouldnt! s-pb2

7:07pm Tue 19 Jun 12

wallydown says...

uvox44 wrote:
wallydown-when you say most do you actually know that (figures please) or is it just your prejudiced view?
Well actually its my predjudiced view,when i park in a car park and the person who just got out of a car .set a badge up in the screen and then walked faster than me to and around M&S at castlepoint i tend to think to myself. ... Yet another one !
i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?
[quote][p][bold]uvox44[/bold] wrote: wallydown-when you say most do you actually know that (figures please) or is it just your prejudiced view?[/p][/quote]Well actually its my predjudiced view,when i park in a car park and the person who just got out of a car .set a badge up in the screen and then walked faster than me to and around M&S at castlepoint i tend to think to myself. ... Yet another one ! i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here? wallydown

8:22pm Tue 19 Jun 12

Miss Opinionated says...

A friend of mine was once picked up in his scooter by three teenagers who balanced him on the edge of the kerb half in the road in Winton. He was left too scared to go out for weeks. Probably not something like that but you never know.... hope the chap is ok and recovers soon.
A friend of mine was once picked up in his scooter by three teenagers who balanced him on the edge of the kerb half in the road in Winton. He was left too scared to go out for weeks. Probably not something like that but you never know.... hope the chap is ok and recovers soon. Miss Opinionated

1:46am Wed 20 Jun 12

old git 2 says...

yummymummyof4 wrote:
My mum is using a scooter and shes only in her early 50`s, shes had a hip replacement but still suffers terrible pain and she also has a crumbling spine, she cants walk to far as she is in terrible pain and without her scooter would be and was house bound. I would hate to be stuck indoors all day everyday as would most people so scooters help, I know some people do use them as they are just lazy but not all of them are they have a need for them.

My mum did have to be insured for her scooter just in case of an accident but im unsure if everyone is, There are a lot of people who will run you down if you get in the way etc but just because of the few idiots doesnt mean they should all be tared with the same brush
my mum is in exactly the same position as yours yummymummyof4 - she has had the decompression surgery on 4 vertebra and the hip replacement and is still in agony and can hardly walk.
she however doesn't have a scooter and to be honest, i wouldn't let her - she would be too dangerous!
(she is older than your mum)

thankfully she does have a disabled badge for my car and it has been so helpful. She really does need it and she uses it.
Another friend has a child with severe learning difficulties for which she has a blue badge .... again she needs it!

Not all blue badge holders are 'stroke pullers' as it has been suggested on here - and worse than 'stroke pullers', are the fully able people without a blue badge who don't care if they park in a disabled bay and restrict those who really need it!

so if you are one of these selfish people, without a blue badge, and who insist on parking as close to the shop as possible just because you are too lazy to walk an extra 20 mtrs, think about those who cant walk that 20 mtrs and be grateful that you aren't in that position! please don't take up valuable disables spaces - they are too few in numbers and some people really need them!
[quote][p][bold]yummymummyof4[/bold] wrote: My mum is using a scooter and shes only in her early 50`s, shes had a hip replacement but still suffers terrible pain and she also has a crumbling spine, she cants walk to far as she is in terrible pain and without her scooter would be and was house bound. I would hate to be stuck indoors all day everyday as would most people so scooters help, I know some people do use them as they are just lazy but not all of them are they have a need for them. My mum did have to be insured for her scooter just in case of an accident but im unsure if everyone is, There are a lot of people who will run you down if you get in the way etc but just because of the few idiots doesnt mean they should all be tared with the same brush[/p][/quote]my mum is in exactly the same position as yours yummymummyof4 - she has had the decompression surgery on 4 vertebra and the hip replacement and is still in agony and can hardly walk. she however doesn't have a scooter and to be honest, i wouldn't let her - she would be too dangerous! (she is older than your mum) thankfully she does have a disabled badge for my car and it has been so helpful. She really does need it and she uses it. Another friend has a child with severe learning difficulties for which she has a blue badge .... again she needs it! Not all blue badge holders are 'stroke pullers' as it has been suggested on here - and worse than 'stroke pullers', are the fully able people without a blue badge who don't care if they park in a disabled bay and restrict those who really need it! so if you are one of these selfish people, without a blue badge, and who insist on parking as close to the shop as possible just because you are too lazy to walk an extra 20 mtrs, think about those who cant walk that 20 mtrs and be grateful that you aren't in that position! please don't take up valuable disables spaces - they are too few in numbers and some people really need them! old git 2

5:53am Wed 20 Jun 12

wallydown says...

old git 2 wrote:
yummymummyof4 wrote:
My mum is using a scooter and shes only in her early 50`s, shes had a hip replacement but still suffers terrible pain and she also has a crumbling spine, she cants walk to far as she is in terrible pain and without her scooter would be and was house bound. I would hate to be stuck indoors all day everyday as would most people so scooters help, I know some people do use them as they are just lazy but not all of them are they have a need for them.

My mum did have to be insured for her scooter just in case of an accident but im unsure if everyone is, There are a lot of people who will run you down if you get in the way etc but just because of the few idiots doesnt mean they should all be tared with the same brush
my mum is in exactly the same position as yours yummymummyof4 - she has had the decompression surgery on 4 vertebra and the hip replacement and is still in agony and can hardly walk.
she however doesn't have a scooter and to be honest, i wouldn't let her - she would be too dangerous!
(she is older than your mum)

thankfully she does have a disabled badge for my car and it has been so helpful. She really does need it and she uses it.
Another friend has a child with severe learning difficulties for which she has a blue badge .... again she needs it!

Not all blue badge holders are 'stroke pullers' as it has been suggested on here - and worse than 'stroke pullers', are the fully able people without a blue badge who don't care if they park in a disabled bay and restrict those who really need it!

so if you are one of these selfish people, without a blue badge, and who insist on parking as close to the shop as possible just because you are too lazy to walk an extra 20 mtrs, think about those who cant walk that 20 mtrs and be grateful that you aren't in that position! please don't take up valuable disables spaces - they are too few in numbers and some people really need them!
On a serious note here ,i have to ask how someone with serious learning difficulties would benefit from having a blue badge? i really cannot put the two things together - please explain that to me
my viewpoint is this .disabled is someone with limited or no mobility ,hence the need for the access a blue badge affords them and thats fair enough. Learning difficulties , what does that mean? Is it a misleading term or description and how does not being able to learn ,for what ever reason affect your mobility.
i have to express my ignorance here and i would genuinely like to know
[quote][p][bold]old git 2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yummymummyof4[/bold] wrote: My mum is using a scooter and shes only in her early 50`s, shes had a hip replacement but still suffers terrible pain and she also has a crumbling spine, she cants walk to far as she is in terrible pain and without her scooter would be and was house bound. I would hate to be stuck indoors all day everyday as would most people so scooters help, I know some people do use them as they are just lazy but not all of them are they have a need for them. My mum did have to be insured for her scooter just in case of an accident but im unsure if everyone is, There are a lot of people who will run you down if you get in the way etc but just because of the few idiots doesnt mean they should all be tared with the same brush[/p][/quote]my mum is in exactly the same position as yours yummymummyof4 - she has had the decompression surgery on 4 vertebra and the hip replacement and is still in agony and can hardly walk. she however doesn't have a scooter and to be honest, i wouldn't let her - she would be too dangerous! (she is older than your mum) thankfully she does have a disabled badge for my car and it has been so helpful. She really does need it and she uses it. Another friend has a child with severe learning difficulties for which she has a blue badge .... again she needs it! Not all blue badge holders are 'stroke pullers' as it has been suggested on here - and worse than 'stroke pullers', are the fully able people without a blue badge who don't care if they park in a disabled bay and restrict those who really need it! so if you are one of these selfish people, without a blue badge, and who insist on parking as close to the shop as possible just because you are too lazy to walk an extra 20 mtrs, think about those who cant walk that 20 mtrs and be grateful that you aren't in that position! please don't take up valuable disables spaces - they are too few in numbers and some people really need them![/p][/quote]On a serious note here ,i have to ask how someone with serious learning difficulties would benefit from having a blue badge? i really cannot put the two things together - please explain that to me my viewpoint is this .disabled is someone with limited or no mobility ,hence the need for the access a blue badge affords them and thats fair enough. Learning difficulties , what does that mean? Is it a misleading term or description and how does not being able to learn ,for what ever reason affect your mobility. i have to express my ignorance here and i would genuinely like to know wallydown

6:41am Wed 20 Jun 12

oneshortleg says...

I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass!
Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents!
I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass! Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents! oneshortleg

7:36am Wed 20 Jun 12

wallydown says...

oneshortleg wrote:
I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass!
Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents!
Pedestrians and wheels simply do not mix hence we have roads and pavements. By their very nature scooters are ridden by people with some mobility limiting issues,couple that with slow reactions and the fact that these things move silently and the general attitude of the driver that they have a right to barge you out of the way all adds up to accidents and we are seeing more and more of them - we need some regulation
[quote][p][bold]oneshortleg[/bold] wrote: I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass! Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents![/p][/quote]Pedestrians and wheels simply do not mix hence we have roads and pavements. By their very nature scooters are ridden by people with some mobility limiting issues,couple that with slow reactions and the fact that these things move silently and the general attitude of the driver that they have a right to barge you out of the way all adds up to accidents and we are seeing more and more of them - we need some regulation wallydown

8:44am Wed 20 Jun 12

Morrigan says...

wallydown wrote:
oneshortleg wrote:
I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass!
Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents!
Pedestrians and wheels simply do not mix hence we have roads and pavements. By their very nature scooters are ridden by people with some mobility limiting issues,couple that with slow reactions and the fact that these things move silently and the general attitude of the driver that they have a right to barge you out of the way all adds up to accidents and we are seeing more and more of them - we need some regulation
You assume because someone uses a mobility scooter that they necessarily have slow reactions? What a sweeping generalisation!

I have what is known as a "silent condition" (because it is not obviously visible to others) - Multiple Sclerosis - and sometimes use a scooter and at under 45 years old, certainly do not have impaired reactions.

Mobility problems are just that - problems walking or moving around - they do not always affect one's mental well being or neurological and cognitive function!

For those who see what they consider able bodied people using scooters - who class them as "looking normal", "too fat to walk", etc., I will ask this ...... do you have x-ray eyes? Can you see inside someone's body to **** whether they actually DO have genuine muscular/skeletal or neurological conditions? Do you have a Degree in any medical health field? I very much doubt it.

Some people may look "normal" - but on the inside things may be going on which on-lookers are not aware of .......
[quote][p][bold]wallydown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oneshortleg[/bold] wrote: I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass! Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents![/p][/quote]Pedestrians and wheels simply do not mix hence we have roads and pavements. By their very nature scooters are ridden by people with some mobility limiting issues,couple that with slow reactions and the fact that these things move silently and the general attitude of the driver that they have a right to barge you out of the way all adds up to accidents and we are seeing more and more of them - we need some regulation[/p][/quote]You assume because someone uses a mobility scooter that they necessarily have slow reactions? What a sweeping generalisation! I have what is known as a "silent condition" (because it is not obviously visible to others) - Multiple Sclerosis - and sometimes use a scooter and at under 45 years old, certainly do not have impaired reactions. Mobility problems are just that - problems walking or moving around - they do not always affect one's mental well being or neurological and cognitive function! For those who see what they consider able bodied people using scooters - who class them as "looking normal", "too fat to walk", etc., I will ask this ...... do you have x-ray eyes? Can you see inside someone's body to **** whether they actually DO have genuine muscular/skeletal or neurological conditions? Do you have a Degree in any medical health field? I very much doubt it. Some people may look "normal" - but on the inside things may be going on which on-lookers are not aware of ....... Morrigan

8:46am Wed 20 Jun 12

Was Charlie says...

Wallydown said:
"i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?"
....
Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally.
.....
Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers.
.....
And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.
Wallydown said: "i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?" .... Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally. ..... Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers. ..... And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on. Was Charlie

8:46am Wed 20 Jun 12

Morrigan says...

* missing word above blocked out - a$$ess ..... stupid word checker lol
* missing word above blocked out - a$$ess ..... stupid word checker lol Morrigan

9:44am Wed 20 Jun 12

wallydown says...

Morrigan wrote:
wallydown wrote:
oneshortleg wrote:
I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass!
Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents!
Pedestrians and wheels simply do not mix hence we have roads and pavements. By their very nature scooters are ridden by people with some mobility limiting issues,couple that with slow reactions and the fact that these things move silently and the general attitude of the driver that they have a right to barge you out of the way all adds up to accidents and we are seeing more and more of them - we need some regulation
You assume because someone uses a mobility scooter that they necessarily have slow reactions? What a sweeping generalisation!

I have what is known as a "silent condition" (because it is not obviously visible to others) - Multiple Sclerosis - and sometimes use a scooter and at under 45 years old, certainly do not have impaired reactions.

Mobility problems are just that - problems walking or moving around - they do not always affect one's mental well being or neurological and cognitive function!

For those who see what they consider able bodied people using scooters - who class them as "looking normal", "too fat to walk", etc., I will ask this ...... do you have x-ray eyes? Can you see inside someone's body to **** whether they actually DO have genuine muscular/skeletal or neurological conditions? Do you have a Degree in any medical health field? I very much doubt it.

Some people may look "normal" - but on the inside things may be going on which on-lookers are not aware of .......
I think it should be generally accepted that anyone who is disabled is going to have deminished physical reactions.
before i go any further let me put you in the picture. I lost my own daughter to MS and because of the support group i know many people who have this and many related conditions.i am not making an off the cuff ,ill informed statement .just as if you see someone on crutches you do not expect to see them jogging along the beach , you are nit picking and you know the point i am making.nor am i generalising ,i think it is important to assume that someone is going to have slow physical reactions and apply precaution if they are driving a mobility scooter i am not applying the observation to their mental state - i hope that clarifies my view
[quote][p][bold]Morrigan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wallydown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oneshortleg[/bold] wrote: I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass! Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents![/p][/quote]Pedestrians and wheels simply do not mix hence we have roads and pavements. By their very nature scooters are ridden by people with some mobility limiting issues,couple that with slow reactions and the fact that these things move silently and the general attitude of the driver that they have a right to barge you out of the way all adds up to accidents and we are seeing more and more of them - we need some regulation[/p][/quote]You assume because someone uses a mobility scooter that they necessarily have slow reactions? What a sweeping generalisation! I have what is known as a "silent condition" (because it is not obviously visible to others) - Multiple Sclerosis - and sometimes use a scooter and at under 45 years old, certainly do not have impaired reactions. Mobility problems are just that - problems walking or moving around - they do not always affect one's mental well being or neurological and cognitive function! For those who see what they consider able bodied people using scooters - who class them as "looking normal", "too fat to walk", etc., I will ask this ...... do you have x-ray eyes? Can you see inside someone's body to **** whether they actually DO have genuine muscular/skeletal or neurological conditions? Do you have a Degree in any medical health field? I very much doubt it. Some people may look "normal" - but on the inside things may be going on which on-lookers are not aware of .......[/p][/quote]I think it should be generally accepted that anyone who is disabled is going to have deminished physical reactions. before i go any further let me put you in the picture. I lost my own daughter to MS and because of the support group i know many people who have this and many related conditions.i am not making an off the cuff ,ill informed statement .just as if you see someone on crutches you do not expect to see them jogging along the beach , you are nit picking and you know the point i am making.nor am i generalising ,i think it is important to assume that someone is going to have slow physical reactions and apply precaution if they are driving a mobility scooter i am not applying the observation to their mental state - i hope that clarifies my view wallydown

9:49am Wed 20 Jun 12

wallydown says...

Was Charlie wrote:
Wallydown said:
"i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?"
....
Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally.
.....
Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers.
.....
And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.
Im guessing you have never tried to get into or out of a car thats a few inches off the ground?
[quote][p][bold]Was Charlie[/bold] wrote: Wallydown said: "i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?" .... Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally. ..... Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers. ..... And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.[/p][/quote]Im guessing you have never tried to get into or out of a car thats a few inches off the ground? wallydown

9:56am Wed 20 Jun 12

Old Contemptible says...

I bought a second hand mobility scooter about 2 months ago and live in the Alderney district of Poole. It needs to go at 8MPH due to the hills around here.
I have noticed that the pavements are very bumpy due to flattened kerb stones and some along Herbert Avenue could tip you up where the cam is steep. It is much more comfortable and safer to travel along the bicycle lanes along the road and some roads and pavements with new surfaces like Arne Avenue are a joy to travel on!
I bought a second hand mobility scooter about 2 months ago and live in the Alderney district of Poole. It needs to go at 8MPH due to the hills around here. I have noticed that the pavements are very bumpy due to flattened kerb stones and some along Herbert Avenue could tip you up where the cam is steep. It is much more comfortable and safer to travel along the bicycle lanes along the road and some roads and pavements with new surfaces like Arne Avenue are a joy to travel on! Old Contemptible

10:02am Wed 20 Jun 12

lonelysurf says...

My father has requested being shot if he ever ends up in one of those "Things"..his words not mine.
My father has requested being shot if he ever ends up in one of those "Things"..his words not mine. lonelysurf

10:12am Wed 20 Jun 12

rach74 says...

i think some of these think they can just go into the road and the traffic will stop for them, just down the road a bit from here, woodside road, an oap in a mobility scooter uses the road but even worse drives the wrong side of the road, so you turn the corner and in front of you he is facing you in his scooter, why is he not on the pavement, but then some oap think we owe the world to them and are just as rude as the young kids
i think some of these think they can just go into the road and the traffic will stop for them, just down the road a bit from here, woodside road, an oap in a mobility scooter uses the road but even worse drives the wrong side of the road, so you turn the corner and in front of you he is facing you in his scooter, why is he not on the pavement, but then some oap think we owe the world to them and are just as rude as the young kids rach74

10:20am Wed 20 Jun 12

pete woodley says...

rach74 wrote:
i think some of these think they can just go into the road and the traffic will stop for them, just down the road a bit from here, woodside road, an oap in a mobility scooter uses the road but even worse drives the wrong side of the road, so you turn the corner and in front of you he is facing you in his scooter, why is he not on the pavement, but then some oap think we owe the world to them and are just as rude as the young kids
Are you old.are you disabled,DONT be so bluddy selfish.
[quote][p][bold]rach74[/bold] wrote: i think some of these think they can just go into the road and the traffic will stop for them, just down the road a bit from here, woodside road, an oap in a mobility scooter uses the road but even worse drives the wrong side of the road, so you turn the corner and in front of you he is facing you in his scooter, why is he not on the pavement, but then some oap think we owe the world to them and are just as rude as the young kids[/p][/quote]Are you old.are you disabled,DONT be so bluddy selfish. pete woodley

10:23am Wed 20 Jun 12

Was Charlie says...

wallydown wrote:
Was Charlie wrote:
Wallydown said:
"i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?"
....
Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally.
.....
Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers.
.....
And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.
Im guessing you have never tried to get into or out of a car thats a few inches off the ground?
Wrong guess - I used to own a Spitfire. Easy to fall into but difficult to get out of if you have dodgy legs.
......
But if you have a blue badge because of difficulty walking due to a lung condition or have a false foot, there's no reason why that person shouldn't be able to get in and out of a sports car easily.
......
Some badge holders can walk well for a several yards, but then get severe problems after those several yards.
......
More research needed into the many reasons people have a blue badge before making blanket statements.
.....
As I said, not disabled drivers, but disabled walkers, i.e.walking is a problem but for many different reasons.
[quote][p][bold]wallydown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Was Charlie[/bold] wrote: Wallydown said: "i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?" .... Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally. ..... Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers. ..... And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.[/p][/quote]Im guessing you have never tried to get into or out of a car thats a few inches off the ground?[/p][/quote]Wrong guess - I used to own a Spitfire. Easy to fall into but difficult to get out of if you have dodgy legs. ...... But if you have a blue badge because of difficulty walking due to a lung condition or have a false foot, there's no reason why that person shouldn't be able to get in and out of a sports car easily. ...... Some badge holders can walk well for a several yards, but then get severe problems after those several yards. ...... More research needed into the many reasons people have a blue badge before making blanket statements. ..... As I said, not disabled drivers, but disabled walkers, i.e.walking is a problem but for many different reasons. Was Charlie

10:27am Wed 20 Jun 12

Was Charlie says...

And it would be nice if someone showed some sympathy for the injured man and wished that he recovers fully.
And it would be nice if someone showed some sympathy for the injured man and wished that he recovers fully. Was Charlie

11:03am Wed 20 Jun 12

lookingonthebrightside says...

As usual, a thread goes way off topic and just gets used by certain people to express their veiws on much wider issues. I understand that not everyone can have a wide social outlet in which to air their views, ie to friends and acquaintances, but it is disappointing to see often the same names crop up moaning on every subject under the sun. And often saying they are qualified in someway to make the negative comments. Well, we all have life's s*** thrown at us, but maybe some of us are better at sharing it around than others. I have a relative that spends all his time going on to people how rubbish his life is and how rubbish eveyone else is, when I know for a fact (and so would he if he stopped self obsessing) that a good few of them are going through even worse but don't mention it. I know it is easier to be negative and these comments boards do reflect a lopsided balance with more comments by negative people than positive ones, but it is a bit depressing. I agree with 'Was Charlie', let's hope the man is ok.
As usual, a thread goes way off topic and just gets used by certain people to express their veiws on much wider issues. I understand that not everyone can have a wide social outlet in which to air their views, ie to friends and acquaintances, but it is disappointing to see often the same names crop up moaning on every subject under the sun. And often saying they are qualified in someway to make the negative comments. Well, we all have life's s*** thrown at us, but maybe some of us are better at sharing it around than others. I have a relative that spends all his time going on to people how rubbish his life is and how rubbish eveyone else is, when I know for a fact (and so would he if he stopped self obsessing) that a good few of them are going through even worse but don't mention it. I know it is easier to be negative and these comments boards do reflect a lopsided balance with more comments by negative people than positive ones, but it is a bit depressing. I agree with 'Was Charlie', let's hope the man is ok. lookingonthebrightside

11:17am Wed 20 Jun 12

rach74 says...

pete woodley wrote:
rach74 wrote: i think some of these think they can just go into the road and the traffic will stop for them, just down the road a bit from here, woodside road, an oap in a mobility scooter uses the road but even worse drives the wrong side of the road, so you turn the corner and in front of you he is facing you in his scooter, why is he not on the pavement, but then some oap think we owe the world to them and are just as rude as the young kids
Are you old.are you disabled,DONT be so bluddy selfish.
How can this be selfish. all im saying is the mobility people think the can just go into the road and all traffic will stop, and is it not wrong they use the road and on the wrong side of the road?
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rach74[/bold] wrote: i think some of these think they can just go into the road and the traffic will stop for them, just down the road a bit from here, woodside road, an oap in a mobility scooter uses the road but even worse drives the wrong side of the road, so you turn the corner and in front of you he is facing you in his scooter, why is he not on the pavement, but then some oap think we owe the world to them and are just as rude as the young kids[/p][/quote]Are you old.are you disabled,DONT be so bluddy selfish.[/p][/quote]How can this be selfish. all im saying is the mobility people think the can just go into the road and all traffic will stop, and is it not wrong they use the road and on the wrong side of the road? rach74

11:18am Wed 20 Jun 12

old git 2 says...

rach74 wrote:
i think some of these think they can just go into the road and the traffic will stop for them, just down the road a bit from here, woodside road, an oap in a mobility scooter uses the road but even worse drives the wrong side of the road, so you turn the corner and in front of you he is facing you in his scooter, why is he not on the pavement, but then some oap think we owe the world to them and are just as rude as the young kids
im sorry but not all 'young kids' are rude - in fact 99% of them are a LOT more polite than us 'oldies'!
[quote][p][bold]rach74[/bold] wrote: i think some of these think they can just go into the road and the traffic will stop for them, just down the road a bit from here, woodside road, an oap in a mobility scooter uses the road but even worse drives the wrong side of the road, so you turn the corner and in front of you he is facing you in his scooter, why is he not on the pavement, but then some oap think we owe the world to them and are just as rude as the young kids[/p][/quote]im sorry but not all 'young kids' are rude - in fact 99% of them are a LOT more polite than us 'oldies'! old git 2

12:54pm Wed 20 Jun 12

goatty says...

wallydown wrote:
Was Charlie wrote:
Wallydown said:
"i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?"
....
Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally.
.....
Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers.
.....
And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.
Im guessing you have never tried to get into or out of a car thats a few inches off the ground?
Most of Westbourne is now disabled parking only. Surely non disabled are now being discriminated against. From what I have seen, most blue badge walkers manage to walk very easily and if you are fit enough to drive a Ferrari and can slide in and in out a few inches off the ground you can hardly be disabled!
[quote][p][bold]wallydown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Was Charlie[/bold] wrote: Wallydown said: "i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?" .... Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally. ..... Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers. ..... And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.[/p][/quote]Im guessing you have never tried to get into or out of a car thats a few inches off the ground?[/p][/quote]Most of Westbourne is now disabled parking only. Surely non disabled are now being discriminated against. From what I have seen, most blue badge walkers manage to walk very easily and if you are fit enough to drive a Ferrari and can slide in and in out a few inches off the ground you can hardly be disabled! goatty

2:47pm Wed 20 Jun 12

oneshortleg says...

Morrigan wrote:
wallydown wrote:
oneshortleg wrote:
I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass!
Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents!
Pedestrians and wheels simply do not mix hence we have roads and pavements. By their very nature scooters are ridden by people with some mobility limiting issues,couple that with slow reactions and the fact that these things move silently and the general attitude of the driver that they have a right to barge you out of the way all adds up to accidents and we are seeing more and more of them - we need some regulation
You assume because someone uses a mobility scooter that they necessarily have slow reactions? What a sweeping generalisation!

I have what is known as a "silent condition" (because it is not obviously visible to others) - Multiple Sclerosis - and sometimes use a scooter and at under 45 years old, certainly do not have impaired reactions.

Mobility problems are just that - problems walking or moving around - they do not always affect one's mental well being or neurological and cognitive function!

For those who see what they consider able bodied people using scooters - who class them as "looking normal", "too fat to walk", etc., I will ask this ...... do you have x-ray eyes? Can you see inside someone's body to **** whether they actually DO have genuine muscular/skeletal or neurological conditions? Do you have a Degree in any medical health field? I very much doubt it.

Some people may look "normal" - but on the inside things may be going on which on-lookers are not aware of .......
Could not agree with you more Morrigan! By defination of my user name I am an amputee, nothing wrong with my reactions or my brain! I also drive, the one main difference between mobility scooters and most other forms of road transport is, when you take your hand of the power it stops DEAD it does not slow it stops. So in the right hands they are as most thing perfectly safe for us "disabled" people!
[quote][p][bold]Morrigan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wallydown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oneshortleg[/bold] wrote: I have a scooter its insured, i drive it on the pavement and take care to watch out for others, however some people don't. I hate to say it but it is mainly the elderly that abuse the use of scooters. They think they can go anywhere in them and because you are allowed to drive certain types on the road they do. I saw one last week on the Wimborne by-pass! Like most things in life you have to use common sense! I can walk not without pain and not for long, but would not think of taking my scooter into a cafe or shop that is too small for it or driving it on any road especially not the Ringwood road in Ferndown that is just asking for trouble. It is not compulsury to have insurance, but then its not for cycles either who cause a lot more accidents![/p][/quote]Pedestrians and wheels simply do not mix hence we have roads and pavements. By their very nature scooters are ridden by people with some mobility limiting issues,couple that with slow reactions and the fact that these things move silently and the general attitude of the driver that they have a right to barge you out of the way all adds up to accidents and we are seeing more and more of them - we need some regulation[/p][/quote]You assume because someone uses a mobility scooter that they necessarily have slow reactions? What a sweeping generalisation! I have what is known as a "silent condition" (because it is not obviously visible to others) - Multiple Sclerosis - and sometimes use a scooter and at under 45 years old, certainly do not have impaired reactions. Mobility problems are just that - problems walking or moving around - they do not always affect one's mental well being or neurological and cognitive function! For those who see what they consider able bodied people using scooters - who class them as "looking normal", "too fat to walk", etc., I will ask this ...... do you have x-ray eyes? Can you see inside someone's body to **** whether they actually DO have genuine muscular/skeletal or neurological conditions? Do you have a Degree in any medical health field? I very much doubt it. Some people may look "normal" - but on the inside things may be going on which on-lookers are not aware of .......[/p][/quote]Could not agree with you more Morrigan! By defination of my user name I am an amputee, nothing wrong with my reactions or my brain! I also drive, the one main difference between mobility scooters and most other forms of road transport is, when you take your hand of the power it stops DEAD it does not slow it stops. So in the right hands they are as most thing perfectly safe for us "disabled" people! oneshortleg

2:50pm Wed 20 Jun 12

FNS-man says...

EGHH wrote:
Mobility scooters should not be allowed on the highway and users of them should be made to take a basic test on how to drive tehm. Are they insured I ask? What happens if a scooter runs over a small child? They need to be regulated. I'm not against disabled people using them but I do object to the obese using them. They are not disabled, just fat!! Someday a mobility scooter user will get killed and the motorist will no doubt get the blame.
The highway is there for everyone to use: pedestrians, farmers, cars, cyclists, mobility scooters, sheep etc. Where there is a pavement, some traffic can use those. This attitude that roads are for motor traffic is completely wrong. Everyone pays for the roads, and everyone has the right to use them.

Motor vehicles need to be insured and drivers licensed as they are extremely dangerous to others. The idea that mobility scooters should be licensed or insured is ridiculous.
[quote][p][bold]EGHH[/bold] wrote: Mobility scooters should not be allowed on the highway and users of them should be made to take a basic test on how to drive tehm. Are they insured I ask? What happens if a scooter runs over a small child? They need to be regulated. I'm not against disabled people using them but I do object to the obese using them. They are not disabled, just fat!! Someday a mobility scooter user will get killed and the motorist will no doubt get the blame.[/p][/quote]The highway is there for everyone to use: pedestrians, farmers, cars, cyclists, mobility scooters, sheep etc. Where there is a pavement, some traffic can use those. This attitude that roads are for motor traffic is completely wrong. Everyone pays for the roads, and everyone has the right to use them. Motor vehicles need to be insured and drivers licensed as they are extremely dangerous to others. The idea that mobility scooters should be licensed or insured is ridiculous. FNS-man

5:55pm Wed 20 Jun 12

manyogie says...

marketboy wrote:
I was in a cafe in Fordingbridge and a lady on a mobility scooter drove in slowly,couldn't stop it and crashed into a
table'
Fortunately,no one was sitting there,but,she then parked it and walked over to the counter!
Quick, phone the echo, another scoop
[quote][p][bold]marketboy[/bold] wrote: I was in a cafe in Fordingbridge and a lady on a mobility scooter drove in slowly,couldn't stop it and crashed into a table' Fortunately,no one was sitting there,but,she then parked it and walked over to the counter![/p][/quote]Quick, phone the echo, another scoop manyogie

7:04pm Wed 20 Jun 12

roundthecorner says...

This seemed to have been a very simple accident when the whell of the mobility scooter went off the pavement. Poor man having such trauma. Instead of sympathy, all folks seem to do is argue the rights and wrongs of mobility scooters and disabled badges. This is such a poor reflection of society. I hope the gentleman recovers from this accident and wish him well.
This seemed to have been a very simple accident when the whell of the mobility scooter went off the pavement. Poor man having such trauma. Instead of sympathy, all folks seem to do is argue the rights and wrongs of mobility scooters and disabled badges. This is such a poor reflection of society. I hope the gentleman recovers from this accident and wish him well. roundthecorner

8:18pm Wed 20 Jun 12

madras says...

goatty wrote:
wallydown wrote:
Was Charlie wrote:
Wallydown said:
"i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?"
....
Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally.
.....
Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers.
.....
And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.
Im guessing you have never tried to get into or out of a car thats a few inches off the ground?
Most of Westbourne is now disabled parking only. Surely non disabled are now being discriminated against. From what I have seen, most blue badge walkers manage to walk very easily and if you are fit enough to drive a Ferrari and can slide in and in out a few inches off the ground you can hardly be disabled!
what, so you can only be disabled and own a 'normal' car?
[quote][p][bold]goatty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wallydown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Was Charlie[/bold] wrote: Wallydown said: "i took a person to visit someone at dorchester prison last week .had to hang about for the return ,up bowls a van with a poole garages name on the side, a typical chav woman parked it on a double yellow stuck a disabled badge in the screen and sprinted to to prison entrance 200 metres away - parking around the town most days of the week i see an infringement at least every other day and on a saturday its a constant stream of badge scammers . I have no problem with genuine people but if you are sufficiently disabled to need a badge why would you buy a ferrari, plenty of those around here?" .... Yes there are some who abuse badges by using someone else's. If caught the genuine badge holder will lose it - very selfish and uncaring of the person using it illegally. ..... Wy shouldn't someone with mobility problems have a Ferrari? They're disabled walkers, not disabled drivers. ..... And if you think it's easy to get a blue badge, try getting one and let us know how you get on.[/p][/quote]Im guessing you have never tried to get into or out of a car thats a few inches off the ground?[/p][/quote]Most of Westbourne is now disabled parking only. Surely non disabled are now being discriminated against. From what I have seen, most blue badge walkers manage to walk very easily and if you are fit enough to drive a Ferrari and can slide in and in out a few inches off the ground you can hardly be disabled![/p][/quote]what, so you can only be disabled and own a 'normal' car? madras

4:36am Thu 21 Jun 12

hamworthygirl says...

roundthecorner wrote:
This seemed to have been a very simple accident when the whell of the mobility scooter went off the pavement. Poor man having such trauma. Instead of sympathy, all folks seem to do is argue the rights and wrongs of mobility scooters and disabled badges. This is such a poor reflection of society. I hope the gentleman recovers from this accident and wish him well.
Couldnt agree more, there are some very judgemental people on here as usual. We need to be more tolerant of our fellow man in general and not judge if we dont know the circumstances. My father-in-law had a scooter and would have been housebound without it. He was a responisble driver but not all people are, but then neither are car/cycle owners. I hope this poor man is ok and will recover quickly.
[quote][p][bold]roundthecorner[/bold] wrote: This seemed to have been a very simple accident when the whell of the mobility scooter went off the pavement. Poor man having such trauma. Instead of sympathy, all folks seem to do is argue the rights and wrongs of mobility scooters and disabled badges. This is such a poor reflection of society. I hope the gentleman recovers from this accident and wish him well.[/p][/quote]Couldnt agree more, there are some very judgemental people on here as usual. We need to be more tolerant of our fellow man in general and not judge if we dont know the circumstances. My father-in-law had a scooter and would have been housebound without it. He was a responisble driver but not all people are, but then neither are car/cycle owners. I hope this poor man is ok and will recover quickly. hamworthygirl

7:41am Thu 21 Jun 12

eaststandman says...

Was Charlie wrote:
EGHH and eaststandman, How do you know that a person hasn't become overweight because they aren't able to exercise because of illness?
.....
marketboyand wallydown, People who use mobility scooters can walk short distances, so the lady would be able to park her scooter and walk to the counter and back. If she was unable to walk at all, she'd be in a wheelchair.
......
Unfortunately many people don't understand how people suffer with mobility problems, the conditions that can cause it and why people use these scooters. Pity there isn't more education on the subject and more understanding. Maybe then there'd be fewer ignorant comments.
Read my statement properly. I said 50% of them are overweight, not all and i'm not referring to the elderly.

I also write this with a lot of experience on the matter.
[quote][p][bold]Was Charlie[/bold] wrote: EGHH and eaststandman, How do you know that a person hasn't become overweight because they aren't able to exercise because of illness? ..... marketboyand wallydown, People who use mobility scooters can walk short distances, so the lady would be able to park her scooter and walk to the counter and back. If she was unable to walk at all, she'd be in a wheelchair. ...... Unfortunately many people don't understand how people suffer with mobility problems, the conditions that can cause it and why people use these scooters. Pity there isn't more education on the subject and more understanding. Maybe then there'd be fewer ignorant comments.[/p][/quote]Read my statement properly. I said 50% of them are overweight, not all and i'm not referring to the elderly. I also write this with a lot of experience on the matter. eaststandman

8:28am Fri 22 Jun 12

abystander says...

It's the Trade vans with ladders on top, 'Builder' signwritten on the side, and also sporting a Blue Badge that make me suspicious.
One parks regularly near me whilst he goes to the Pub and comes back to adjust the displayed clock.
With "Confidentiality", it's difficult to check eligibility.
Bet he wouldn't need or use a mobility scooter.
It's the Trade vans with ladders on top, 'Builder' signwritten on the side, and also sporting a Blue Badge that make me suspicious. One parks regularly near me whilst he goes to the Pub and comes back to adjust the displayed clock. With "Confidentiality", it's difficult to check eligibility. Bet he wouldn't need or use a mobility scooter. abystander

1:50pm Fri 22 Jun 12

theoakman says...

Oh Dear!! Yet again, what was simply a news item about an accident, and until we know otherwise, that is exactly what it is, an accident, this news blog has become nothing more than Jeremy Kyle style **** session.
Oh Dear!! Yet again, what was simply a news item about an accident, and until we know otherwise, that is exactly what it is, an accident, this news blog has become nothing more than Jeremy Kyle style **** session. theoakman

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree