Bizarre explanations don't help 957 drivers caught under No Excuses campaign

Bournemouth Echo: AMAZED: No Excuse project manager Brian Austin AMAZED: No Excuse project manager Brian Austin

DESPITE some bizarre explanations, there was No Excuse for 957 drivers caught flouting the law in Dorset during March.

From January 1 until March 31 more than 4,000 offences were detected by safety cameras and No Excuse team officers.

Almost 2,000 tickets were issued including 250 for distraction offences such as using a mobile phone, taking photos and using an IPod while driving.

No Excuse project manager Brian Austin said: “We are continually amazed at the thought process of some of the bad and inconsiderate drivers on Dorset’s roads.

“We still have drivers who show they have no concern for other road users and pedestrians.

“Academic studies have shown that slowed reactions caused by the distraction of using a mobile phone whilst driving are similar to those driving at the drink drive limit.

“Up to a quarter of those killed on Dorset’s roads in the past two years have been as a consequence of drink driving.”

He pledged to continue to use safety camera vans, marked and unmarked cars, bikes and technology such as concept lasers, which can detect offences from more than 400 metres, to “make a difference in Dorset.”

AND HERE'S SOME OF THEIR EXCUSES FOR BAD DRIVING

A woman caught using her mobile phone at the wheel in Purbeck insisted she had been eating a prawn cracker and didn’t have her phone with her. But when the officer dialled the number the phone rang in her car. She immediately apologised and offered the officer a prawn cracker. In return, she was given a ticket.

A Poole man caught using his mobile phone while driving, said: “Well I wouldn’t have used my mobile if I knew there were policemen in an unmarked car behind me.”

A driver stopped in Poole travelling at 50mph in a 40mph zone said: “I’m on my way to an eyesight test and didn’t see the speed limit sign.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:09pm Thu 17 May 12

Chugwater says...

I wish they'd do something about the chavvy little hooligans riding round on mopeds.
Won't be long before one of those little scumbags causes an accident.
I wish they'd do something about the chavvy little hooligans riding round on mopeds. Won't be long before one of those little scumbags causes an accident. Chugwater
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Thu 17 May 12

MPK83i says...

Chugwater wrote:
I wish they'd do something about the chavvy little hooligans riding round on mopeds.
Won't be long before one of those little scumbags causes an accident.
Bloody right,it seems that the ones I see tearing around never wear helmets.
[quote][p][bold]Chugwater[/bold] wrote: I wish they'd do something about the chavvy little hooligans riding round on mopeds. Won't be long before one of those little scumbags causes an accident.[/p][/quote]Bloody right,it seems that the ones I see tearing around never wear helmets. MPK83i
  • Score: 0

1:39pm Thu 17 May 12

Cordite says...

Chugwater wrote:
I wish they'd do something about the chavvy little hooligans riding round on mopeds.
Won't be long before one of those little scumbags causes an accident.
Agree.....and those pesky mobility scooters aren't far behind!
[quote][p][bold]Chugwater[/bold] wrote: I wish they'd do something about the chavvy little hooligans riding round on mopeds. Won't be long before one of those little scumbags causes an accident.[/p][/quote]Agree.....and those pesky mobility scooters aren't far behind! Cordite
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Thu 17 May 12

Franks Tank says...

957 "rogue" motorists!
957 "rogue" motorists! Franks Tank
  • Score: 0

2:06pm Thu 17 May 12

thevisitor says...

...and now, scroats on skateboards!
...and now, scroats on skateboards! thevisitor
  • Score: 0

2:16pm Thu 17 May 12

souwest says...

AOh, we are being smug laughing at the excuses:
What about
"Sorry this is ambulance going to an accident"

"Police car going to a crime"

"Fire engine going to a fire"

"Olympic official going to the state brothel"
AOh, we are being smug laughing at the excuses: What about "Sorry this is ambulance going to an accident" "Police car going to a crime" "Fire engine going to a fire" "Olympic official going to the state brothel" souwest
  • Score: 0

2:47pm Thu 17 May 12

Wageslave says...

This is no joking matter.These people are potential killers and YOU could be their next victim. Treat as dangerous as drunks and ban them automatically for a year plus a £1000 fine towards victim charity.
This is no joking matter.These people are potential killers and YOU could be their next victim. Treat as dangerous as drunks and ban them automatically for a year plus a £1000 fine towards victim charity. Wageslave
  • Score: 0

2:59pm Thu 17 May 12

n4 says...

And... The dangerous lunatics who try to go straight across the roundabout at Bear Cross from the right turn only lane (travelling North). You are thoughtless, selfish cretins who really should not be behind the wheel of a car/van. Or the individuals who go all the way round the roundabout to turn left or go North... Yes, you in the BMW... you know who you are.. You're a dangerout idiot. While we're on the subject... Motorcyclists who insist on driving between the two lanes of traffic on the Dorset Way... Where are the Police when you need them...
And... The dangerous lunatics who try to go straight across the roundabout at Bear Cross from the right turn only lane (travelling North). You are thoughtless, selfish cretins who really should not be behind the wheel of a car/van. Or the individuals who go all the way round the roundabout to turn left or go North... Yes, you in the BMW... you know who you are.. You're a dangerout idiot. While we're on the subject... Motorcyclists who insist on driving between the two lanes of traffic on the Dorset Way... Where are the Police when you need them... n4
  • Score: 0

4:03pm Thu 17 May 12

peopleareidiots says...

Any excuse to get out of real police work, pass the doughnut mr fatty Plod! Never mind about the poor girl being raped or the grannies being robbed, you just sit there filling your fat faces
Any excuse to get out of real police work, pass the doughnut mr fatty Plod! Never mind about the poor girl being raped or the grannies being robbed, you just sit there filling your fat faces peopleareidiots
  • Score: 0

4:34pm Thu 17 May 12

derek_acorah says...

n4 wrote:
And... The dangerous lunatics who try to go straight across the roundabout at Bear Cross from the right turn only lane (travelling North). You are thoughtless, selfish cretins who really should not be behind the wheel of a car/van. Or the individuals who go all the way round the roundabout to turn left or go North... Yes, you in the BMW... you know who you are.. You're a dangerout idiot. While we're on the subject... Motorcyclists who insist on driving between the two lanes of traffic on the Dorset Way... Where are the Police when you need them...
'Where are the Police when you need them... '

One would hope they'll be out catching real criminals. Oh, wait.....
[quote][p][bold]n4[/bold] wrote: And... The dangerous lunatics who try to go straight across the roundabout at Bear Cross from the right turn only lane (travelling North). You are thoughtless, selfish cretins who really should not be behind the wheel of a car/van. Or the individuals who go all the way round the roundabout to turn left or go North... Yes, you in the BMW... you know who you are.. You're a dangerout idiot. While we're on the subject... Motorcyclists who insist on driving between the two lanes of traffic on the Dorset Way... Where are the Police when you need them...[/p][/quote]'Where are the Police when you need them... ' One would hope they'll be out catching real criminals. Oh, wait..... derek_acorah
  • Score: 0

5:08pm Thu 17 May 12

The Renegade Master says...

Congratulations to the Police and Dorset Road Safe for another successful period of revenue generation.
Persecuting the motorist for petty offences and then dressing them up as being as bad as drink driving is shameful.
If distraction is so dangerous you'd best start banning people from talking in their cars too. Ban screaming kids, radios, changing a cd, smoking or even eating a sweet as well.
The only distraction crime here is the one that sees policemen chasing after the soft target motorist instead of catching real criminals.
Congratulations to the Police and Dorset Road Safe for another successful period of revenue generation. Persecuting the motorist for petty offences and then dressing them up as being as bad as drink driving is shameful. If distraction is so dangerous you'd best start banning people from talking in their cars too. Ban screaming kids, radios, changing a cd, smoking or even eating a sweet as well. The only distraction crime here is the one that sees policemen chasing after the soft target motorist instead of catching real criminals. The Renegade Master
  • Score: 0

9:45pm Thu 17 May 12

tbpoole says...

The Renegade Master wrote:
Congratulations to the Police and Dorset Road Safe for another successful period of revenue generation.
Persecuting the motorist for petty offences and then dressing them up as being as bad as drink driving is shameful.
If distraction is so dangerous you'd best start banning people from talking in their cars too. Ban screaming kids, radios, changing a cd, smoking or even eating a sweet as well.
The only distraction crime here is the one that sees policemen chasing after the soft target motorist instead of catching real criminals.
Nice to see that you have decided which laws are petty, or who are the real criminals - I bow to your expert opinion. In fact if you look up the research you will find that the distraction from mobile phone use can be equal to or worse than the effect of alcohol. If there is no threat of being punished drivers will just carry on regardless. Don't turn the argument around to justify your small minded views.
[quote][p][bold]The Renegade Master[/bold] wrote: Congratulations to the Police and Dorset Road Safe for another successful period of revenue generation. Persecuting the motorist for petty offences and then dressing them up as being as bad as drink driving is shameful. If distraction is so dangerous you'd best start banning people from talking in their cars too. Ban screaming kids, radios, changing a cd, smoking or even eating a sweet as well. The only distraction crime here is the one that sees policemen chasing after the soft target motorist instead of catching real criminals.[/p][/quote]Nice to see that you have decided which laws are petty, or who are the real criminals - I bow to your expert opinion. In fact if you look up the research you will find that the distraction from mobile phone use can be equal to or worse than the effect of alcohol. If there is no threat of being punished drivers will just carry on regardless. Don't turn the argument around to justify your small minded views. tbpoole
  • Score: 0

10:45pm Thu 17 May 12

The Renegade Master says...

tbpoole wrote:
The Renegade Master wrote:
Congratulations to the Police and Dorset Road Safe for another successful period of revenue generation.
Persecuting the motorist for petty offences and then dressing them up as being as bad as drink driving is shameful.
If distraction is so dangerous you'd best start banning people from talking in their cars too. Ban screaming kids, radios, changing a cd, smoking or even eating a sweet as well.
The only distraction crime here is the one that sees policemen chasing after the soft target motorist instead of catching real criminals.
Nice to see that you have decided which laws are petty, or who are the real criminals - I bow to your expert opinion. In fact if you look up the research you will find that the distraction from mobile phone use can be equal to or worse than the effect of alcohol. If there is no threat of being punished drivers will just carry on regardless. Don't turn the argument around to justify your small minded views.
I'm sorry that you're so naive that you can't see what the Police and Dorset Road Safe are really about.
I'm not condoning using a mobile phone behind the wheel, just highlighting that there are many many other things that can distract a driver that aren't as easy for a policemen in an unmarked car to spot. That's why they focus on a small number of offences that are and concentrate their propaganda against those to justify their profit driven campaign against the motorist.
[quote][p][bold]tbpoole[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Renegade Master[/bold] wrote: Congratulations to the Police and Dorset Road Safe for another successful period of revenue generation. Persecuting the motorist for petty offences and then dressing them up as being as bad as drink driving is shameful. If distraction is so dangerous you'd best start banning people from talking in their cars too. Ban screaming kids, radios, changing a cd, smoking or even eating a sweet as well. The only distraction crime here is the one that sees policemen chasing after the soft target motorist instead of catching real criminals.[/p][/quote]Nice to see that you have decided which laws are petty, or who are the real criminals - I bow to your expert opinion. In fact if you look up the research you will find that the distraction from mobile phone use can be equal to or worse than the effect of alcohol. If there is no threat of being punished drivers will just carry on regardless. Don't turn the argument around to justify your small minded views.[/p][/quote]I'm sorry that you're so naive that you can't see what the Police and Dorset Road Safe are really about. I'm not condoning using a mobile phone behind the wheel, just highlighting that there are many many other things that can distract a driver that aren't as easy for a policemen in an unmarked car to spot. That's why they focus on a small number of offences that are and concentrate their propaganda against those to justify their profit driven campaign against the motorist. The Renegade Master
  • Score: 0

7:34am Fri 18 May 12

tbpoole says...

The Renegade Master wrote:
tbpoole wrote:
The Renegade Master wrote:
Congratulations to the Police and Dorset Road Safe for another successful period of revenue generation.
Persecuting the motorist for petty offences and then dressing them up as being as bad as drink driving is shameful.
If distraction is so dangerous you'd best start banning people from talking in their cars too. Ban screaming kids, radios, changing a cd, smoking or even eating a sweet as well.
The only distraction crime here is the one that sees policemen chasing after the soft target motorist instead of catching real criminals.
Nice to see that you have decided which laws are petty, or who are the real criminals - I bow to your expert opinion. In fact if you look up the research you will find that the distraction from mobile phone use can be equal to or worse than the effect of alcohol. If there is no threat of being punished drivers will just carry on regardless. Don't turn the argument around to justify your small minded views.
I'm sorry that you're so naive that you can't see what the Police and Dorset Road Safe are really about.
I'm not condoning using a mobile phone behind the wheel, just highlighting that there are many many other things that can distract a driver that aren't as easy for a policemen in an unmarked car to spot. That's why they focus on a small number of offences that are and concentrate their propaganda against those to justify their profit driven campaign against the motorist.
There are indeed many things that can distract you, and they can equally be taken into account if you cause an accident while doing them, the police are just targeting the things most likely to cause one. You seem to think that motorists are some sort of untouchable elite who know best.
[quote][p][bold]The Renegade Master[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tbpoole[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Renegade Master[/bold] wrote: Congratulations to the Police and Dorset Road Safe for another successful period of revenue generation. Persecuting the motorist for petty offences and then dressing them up as being as bad as drink driving is shameful. If distraction is so dangerous you'd best start banning people from talking in their cars too. Ban screaming kids, radios, changing a cd, smoking or even eating a sweet as well. The only distraction crime here is the one that sees policemen chasing after the soft target motorist instead of catching real criminals.[/p][/quote]Nice to see that you have decided which laws are petty, or who are the real criminals - I bow to your expert opinion. In fact if you look up the research you will find that the distraction from mobile phone use can be equal to or worse than the effect of alcohol. If there is no threat of being punished drivers will just carry on regardless. Don't turn the argument around to justify your small minded views.[/p][/quote]I'm sorry that you're so naive that you can't see what the Police and Dorset Road Safe are really about. I'm not condoning using a mobile phone behind the wheel, just highlighting that there are many many other things that can distract a driver that aren't as easy for a policemen in an unmarked car to spot. That's why they focus on a small number of offences that are and concentrate their propaganda against those to justify their profit driven campaign against the motorist.[/p][/quote]There are indeed many things that can distract you, and they can equally be taken into account if you cause an accident while doing them, the police are just targeting the things most likely to cause one. You seem to think that motorists are some sort of untouchable elite who know best. tbpoole
  • Score: 0

8:45am Fri 18 May 12

The Liberal says...

Surely listening to an iPod (using one of those things that beams it to the car stereo) is no worse than using the car stereo to listen to a CD or radio? I suppose it has a screen, but then so does a satnav.
Surely listening to an iPod (using one of those things that beams it to the car stereo) is no worse than using the car stereo to listen to a CD or radio? I suppose it has a screen, but then so does a satnav. The Liberal
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree