REFUSE collectors are appealing for residents to bear with them as they battle against the worst weather conditions for 30 years.
The icy spell before Christmas, coupled with the current cold snap, means that some residents missed two consecutive recycling collections and were faced with mounting waste.
Andrew Green, of Hastings Road, Strouden Park, was one of those unhappy to be told he would have to wait another two weeks – making it a total of six – before he would have his recycling rubbish picked up.
But two days later, and with no notice, the collectors braved the icy conditions to pick up his and other householders’ recycling.
Reg Hutton, head of operations, said: “Bournemouth, like all councils across the country, is facing very challenging circumstances.
“The weather is extreme and in view of the icy conditions we have to consider safety the number one priority.
“As a result decisions are being made daily as to whether it is right to operate refuse and recycling collections when residential roads are difficult to access.
“Unfortunately we are aware that for a number of residents it means their bins have not been emptied on more than one occasion.
“We ask them to bear with us and to put out excess waste the following week. As the cold snap is set to continue into the next week the situation is being reviewed daily and if necessary emergency measures may have to be considered the longer the weather remains so extreme.”
• New Forest council will make double collections on Wednesday and Thursday this week to make up for the cancellations last week. Residents who did not have their rubbish collected last week should put their bins out this week.