TWO people were taken to hospital after a fire at a Poole home in the early hours of this morning.

Firefighters based at the Poole station were called to an address in Stanley Green Road at around 4.20am after the occupants discovered the blaze in the kitchen.

The two crews used four breathing masks and a hose to begin tackling the fire before calling for support from two further fire engines, which arrived shortly afterwards.

The casualties - a man and a woman - suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital by paramedics for further treatment.

A support team from the British Red Cross also attended.

After the fire was extinguished, firefighters checked for hot spots in the loft.

More follows