NATWEST in Bournemouth Square was evacuated this afternoon after an overheating light sparked a small fire and caused smoke.

Three fire engines were called to the branch at 12.05pm after alarms went off.

A spokesperson from the Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said the issue was in the basement of the building.

"There was lots of smoke, which triggered the alarm system. The building was evacuated and fire crews from Redhill, Westbourne and Springbourne attended.

"Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went in with a couple of thermal imaging cameras to investigate. 

"They searched the area and discovered an overheated light in the basement that was creating enough smoke to raise the alarm.

"Ventilation fans were used in the basement and the ground floor to clear the smoke. The electrics were isolated and the faulty light fitting removed."

The crews left the scene just after 1pm.