A MAN arrested on suspicion of arson by police probing a devastating fire which ripped through historic Parnham House has been released under investigation.
Enquiries into the incident are ongoing.
The development comes as the former owner of the Grade I-listed stately home told of his sadness and said the world was mourning the loss of Parnham House.
Around 100 firefighters tackled the huge fire which flared up at the site near Beaminster early on Saturday.
It was only on Wednesday morning when the fire was confirmed to have been fully extinguished.
The house, which dates back to the 16th century, suffered a significant amount of damage.
It is not believed anyone was inside the property.
The property is likely to be cordoned off for some time to allow investigators to examine the scene.
Dorset Police said on Wednesday that a 68-year-old Beaminster man had been arrested on suspicion of arson and was assisting police with enquiries.