A VIOLENT offender serving a 13-and-a-half year jail term for a horrific and shocking attack on a young mum has been convicted of three charges of rape.
The victim in the latest case came forward after Thomas Old was jailed in 2014 for a terrifying attack during which he stripped, gagged and beat a woman while her two-year-old daughter was in the next room.
His victim's back was broken in two places and her eye socket was broken when Old tried to gouge out her right eye. She also suffered bleeding on her brain, a broken nose, broken finger and significant cuts and bruising.
After learning Old had been jailed, the victim in the latest case came forward and he was charged.
Jurors failed to reach a verdict on some counts when the case was heard at Bournemouth, but a retrial which took place at Salisbury Crown Court last week led to the latest convictions.
The jury was unanimous in finding Old guilty of three charges of rape and one of assault by penetration. The case has been adjourned for sentence until May 5.
In 2014, Bournemouth Crown Court was told that Old, of Shaftesbury Road, Bournemouth launched the attack, during which his victim was strangled into unconsciousness, because he thought she had been seeing her ex-partner.
Prosecutor Rufus Taylor described the crime as "a sadistic, sustained and brutal attack" and told Old: "You were striking her while she was bound and bleeding - you showed her no mercy whatsoever."
Defending, David Richards said Old had ADHD as a child and was unpopular at school, eventually being sent to a residential school in Kendal in Cumbria.
He said prolonged use of cannabis and more recent use of steroids had made his paranoia worse and he feared rejection.
Both attacks took place in flats in Bournemouth.