'Council needs to secure site from caravans' - residents in plea for action over travellers

'Council needs to secure site from caravans' - residents in plea for action over travellers

'Council needs to secure site from caravans' - residents in plea for action over travellers

First published in News by

RESIDENTS in Poole have said that more must be done to stop travellers from moving on to land close to their homes.

People who live in Christopher Crescent in Fleetsbridge say that they have had to put up with travellers for the past two weeks, on land next to Staples car park, on Fleets Lane.

Council officers from Borough of Poole have today gone to court to apply for an eviction order, which would give the owners of the three caravans and two motorhomes 24 hours to vacate the Fleetsbridge site.

However, Paula Holloway, who lives on Christopher Crescent, says that this has taken too long and once gone, preventative measures must be put in place by Borough of Poole to stop the caravans returning.

She said: “We have had no feedback from the council and we have had to put up with high-speed racing and somebody trying to plug their electrics into the system. If the travellers want to camp here, then they need to abide by some rules and regulations.

“Over at Baiter Park, they have had some Purbeck stone put in to stop the travellers from coming back, so once they leave here, we want the same by Christopher Crescent.

“We need that site secured straight away.”

Clive Watkins, who also lives on the road close to the travellers, said: “We can’t open the back gates for our home because one of the motorhomes is blocking it.

“It makes me feel like refusing to pay my council tax because we are being punished and yet we haven’t done anything wrong.

“Generally, residents are completely baffled as to why it has taken so long for the court order to be issued, but in the meantime nothing has been done to help the residents who live here.”

Temporary toilets and a skip have been provided on site, in line with new Borough of Poole regulations introduced to address environmental concerns.

‘Lot of work has been done to protect sites’ SPEAKING in response to this site, and a number of other small traveller encampments that have sprung up in Poole in recent weeks, Cllr Xena Dion – the borough’s cabinet portfolio holder for planning – has moved to reassure residents.

She said: “We recognise that the recent unauthorised encampments in Poole are a cause of public concern.

“A great deal of work with local residents’ groups has been undertaken to manage the situation effectively and meet the needs of our local communities while meeting government requirements to support the travellers’ way of life.”

Cllr Dion explained the council cannot simply move on unauthorised encampments to a permanent site, which could happen within 24 hours, as the borough does not have such a site within its boundaries.

On the present situation, Cllr Dion said: “Working with local communities through ward councillors, considerable work has just been completed to protect six identified open spaces that residents consider particularly sensitive, such as those that have ‘Fields in Trust’ status.

“These improvements have made it harder for unauthorised vehicles to access these sites but no site is completely secure.”

Comments have been opened on this story but please note: any reference to gypsies or any racially offensive term will cause them to be closed and you may find your account suspended. Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are legally recognised as ethnic groups, and protected by the Race Relations Act. Please keep your comments to this particular incident and do not generalise. Thanks for your co-operation.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:48am Wed 30 Jul 14

Arjay says...

It continues to amaze me as to why it takes so long - every time - to issue these eviction orders?
Surely, both Bournemouth and Poole Council officers now have enough experience in these procedures to be able to set them in motion immediately? Even the social services and court officials must have picked up some idea of what is going to be necessary ... They've had plenty of practice!
And why the almost apologetic tone taken when applying for court time?..' we are hoping to be able to get a court date soon' etc.....
We tax payers fund the court system. It needs to operate for our benefit - not for the court's 'convenience'.
Surely the council can demand an immediate court hearing, especially as so many people are affected by these incursions each time.
And if there is some 'technical' reason why that doesn't happen at present?... then change the procedure so that it does!!
It continues to amaze me as to why it takes so long - every time - to issue these eviction orders? Surely, both Bournemouth and Poole Council officers now have enough experience in these procedures to be able to set them in motion immediately? Even the social services and court officials must have picked up some idea of what is going to be necessary ... They've had plenty of practice! And why the almost apologetic tone taken when applying for court time?..' we are hoping to be able to get a court date soon' etc..... We tax payers fund the court system. It needs to operate for our benefit - not for the court's 'convenience'. Surely the council can demand an immediate court hearing, especially as so many people are affected by these incursions each time. And if there is some 'technical' reason why that doesn't happen at present?... then change the procedure so that it does!! Arjay
  • Score: 28

11:16am Wed 30 Jul 14

sea poole says...

Cllr Dion -the preventative measures at Baiter Park really worked didn't they...?
Cllr Dion -the preventative measures at Baiter Park really worked didn't they...? sea poole
  • Score: 17

11:29am Wed 30 Jul 14

Townee says...

No good putting granite blocks to stop them, they just move them out of the way. Then say they didn't do it. If that's the case why would anyone want to move bloody great blocks of granite if it wasn't to get access to the area.
What we need is barbed wire and mine fields that might stop them.
No good putting granite blocks to stop them, they just move them out of the way. Then say they didn't do it. If that's the case why would anyone want to move bloody great blocks of granite if it wasn't to get access to the area. What we need is barbed wire and mine fields that might stop them. Townee
  • Score: 14

11:43am Wed 30 Jul 14

Red Leader 1 says...

sea poole wrote:
Cllr Dion -the preventative measures at Baiter Park really worked didn't they...?
Thats because Cllr Dion (& colleagues) clearly does not believe in protecting Poole car parks - can they be honest and openly admit this. Residents have asked for height or width restrictions but the answer is NO! The width restrictions at Whitecliff car park work as do the height barriers installed in Bournemouth town centre at the first sign of trouble last year.

Worried about loss of parking revenue? See for yourself that no one uses Baiter when the travellers are on site and of course they dont pay - just cost us £1000's in clean-ups. Here's a helpful compromise suggestion - height barriers for July and August and business as usual for the other 10 months. Common sense still has something to offer.
[quote][p][bold]sea poole[/bold] wrote: Cllr Dion -the preventative measures at Baiter Park really worked didn't they...?[/p][/quote]Thats because Cllr Dion (& colleagues) clearly does not believe in protecting Poole car parks - can they be honest and openly admit this. Residents have asked for height or width restrictions but the answer is NO! The width restrictions at Whitecliff car park work as do the height barriers installed in Bournemouth town centre at the first sign of trouble last year. Worried about loss of parking revenue? See for yourself that no one uses Baiter when the travellers are on site and of course they dont pay - just cost us £1000's in clean-ups. Here's a helpful compromise suggestion - height barriers for July and August and business as usual for the other 10 months. Common sense still has something to offer. Red Leader 1
  • Score: 8

12:29pm Wed 30 Jul 14

old git 2 says...

Arjay wrote:
It continues to amaze me as to why it takes so long - every time - to issue these eviction orders? Surely, both Bournemouth and Poole Council officers now have enough experience in these procedures to be able to set them in motion immediately? Even the social services and court officials must have picked up some idea of what is going to be necessary ... They've had plenty of practice! And why the almost apologetic tone taken when applying for court time?..' we are hoping to be able to get a court date soon' etc..... We tax payers fund the court system. It needs to operate for our benefit - not for the court's 'convenience'. Surely the council can demand an immediate court hearing, especially as so many people are affected by these incursions each time. And if there is some 'technical' reason why that doesn't happen at present?... then change the procedure so that it does!!
or perhaps its more important to work within the law!
the way understand it, you have to post 7 working days notice of a court hearing to allow those posessing the land time to fine representation and attend the court hearing.
If reposession is granted, you then have to wait for the court bayliffs to action the warrent of possesion.
[quote][p][bold]Arjay[/bold] wrote: It continues to amaze me as to why it takes so long - every time - to issue these eviction orders? Surely, both Bournemouth and Poole Council officers now have enough experience in these procedures to be able to set them in motion immediately? Even the social services and court officials must have picked up some idea of what is going to be necessary ... They've had plenty of practice! And why the almost apologetic tone taken when applying for court time?..' we are hoping to be able to get a court date soon' etc..... We tax payers fund the court system. It needs to operate for our benefit - not for the court's 'convenience'. Surely the council can demand an immediate court hearing, especially as so many people are affected by these incursions each time. And if there is some 'technical' reason why that doesn't happen at present?... then change the procedure so that it does!![/p][/quote]or perhaps its more important to work within the law! the way understand it, you have to post 7 working days notice of a court hearing to allow those posessing the land time to fine representation and attend the court hearing. If reposession is granted, you then have to wait for the court bayliffs to action the warrent of possesion. old git 2
  • Score: 2

12:39pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Peroni says...

Red Leader 1 wrote:
sea poole wrote:
Cllr Dion -the preventative measures at Baiter Park really worked didn't they...?
Thats because Cllr Dion (& colleagues) clearly does not believe in protecting Poole car parks - can they be honest and openly admit this. Residents have asked for height or width restrictions but the answer is NO! The width restrictions at Whitecliff car park work as do the height barriers installed in Bournemouth town centre at the first sign of trouble last year.

Worried about loss of parking revenue? See for yourself that no one uses Baiter when the travellers are on site and of course they dont pay - just cost us £1000's in clean-ups. Here's a helpful compromise suggestion - height barriers for July and August and business as usual for the other 10 months. Common sense still has something to offer.
You have noticed that they are allowed to cut locks, pull barriers and fences down with out a penalty or convictions yes !
What's the point in spending £thousands. And then the police just let them in ?
Needs to be sorted in other areas,if they are claiming they are 'travellers' or ethinic what ever ....what about some form of passport system.
Seems our authority's just turn a blind eye to crimminal damage ,etc etc .
[quote][p][bold]Red Leader 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sea poole[/bold] wrote: Cllr Dion -the preventative measures at Baiter Park really worked didn't they...?[/p][/quote]Thats because Cllr Dion (& colleagues) clearly does not believe in protecting Poole car parks - can they be honest and openly admit this. Residents have asked for height or width restrictions but the answer is NO! The width restrictions at Whitecliff car park work as do the height barriers installed in Bournemouth town centre at the first sign of trouble last year. Worried about loss of parking revenue? See for yourself that no one uses Baiter when the travellers are on site and of course they dont pay - just cost us £1000's in clean-ups. Here's a helpful compromise suggestion - height barriers for July and August and business as usual for the other 10 months. Common sense still has something to offer.[/p][/quote]You have noticed that they are allowed to cut locks, pull barriers and fences down with out a penalty or convictions yes ! What's the point in spending £thousands. And then the police just let them in ? Needs to be sorted in other areas,if they are claiming they are 'travellers' or ethinic what ever ....what about some form of passport system. Seems our authority's just turn a blind eye to crimminal damage ,etc etc . Peroni
  • Score: 7

1:22pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Minty Fresh says...

The Echo are very good at telling us where these nomadic pests pitch up but are absolutely hopeless at doing something about it on our behalf. A local paper is meant to back it's readers on important local issues, which should include the Editor of this rag standing up and publicly launching a campaign for a law change that would put an end to the discrimination WE are suffering as a result of the laws these tos*ers keep breaking and the mess they leave behind which we have to pay to clean up.

However, it's clear that this paper, it's totally anonymous part-time Editor, the police and the Council are all too spineless to tackle this issue. You should all be utterly ashamed of yourselves and your inaction.

Can someone explain to me why the courts cannot issue an eviction order that stands against ALL traveller/unauthoris
ed incursions on all local public/open spaces in the local area for a set period of time, like say three months? Surely this would give the authorities the power to move these nomadic parasites on immediately or they would face arrest or their vehicles being impounded?
The Echo are very good at telling us where these nomadic pests pitch up but are absolutely hopeless at doing something about it on our behalf. A local paper is meant to back it's readers on important local issues, which should include the Editor of this rag standing up and publicly launching a campaign for a law change that would put an end to the discrimination WE are suffering as a result of the laws these tos*ers keep breaking and the mess they leave behind which we have to pay to clean up. However, it's clear that this paper, it's totally anonymous part-time Editor, the police and the Council are all too spineless to tackle this issue. You should all be utterly ashamed of yourselves and your inaction. Can someone explain to me why the courts cannot issue an eviction order that stands against ALL traveller/unauthoris ed incursions on all local public/open spaces in the local area for a set period of time, like say three months? Surely this would give the authorities the power to move these nomadic parasites on immediately or they would face arrest or their vehicles being impounded? Minty Fresh
  • Score: 5

3:23pm Wed 30 Jul 14

skydriver says...

Clamp them, fine them, impound their cars and vans, serve them with the clear up bill,, oh sorry we can't do that, because they are travellers, is that really fair , no I thought not , so the Government, the councils, throughout England, should get some B----, and get a grip, the residents who pay their taxes, or as Cameron says , The hard working people of this country,, are feed up to to the teeth with these people who wreck the lives of the people who have to put up,with these disruptions, it's not right, I think before too long there will be vigilante groups taking things into their own hands , well if the police are powerless to police............I rest my case , I'm not saying I agree, But...............!!
!
Clamp them, fine them, impound their cars and vans, serve them with the clear up bill,, oh sorry we can't do that, because they are travellers, is that really fair , no I thought not , so the Government, the councils, throughout England, should get some B----, and get a grip, the residents who pay their taxes, or as Cameron says , The hard working people of this country,, are feed up to to the teeth with these people who wreck the lives of the people who have to put up,with these disruptions, it's not right, I think before too long there will be vigilante groups taking things into their own hands , well if the police are powerless to police............I rest my case , I'm not saying I agree, But...............!! ! skydriver
  • Score: 7

3:36pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Arjay says...

old git 2 wrote:
Arjay wrote:
It continues to amaze me as to why it takes so long - every time - to issue these eviction orders? Surely, both Bournemouth and Poole Council officers now have enough experience in these procedures to be able to set them in motion immediately? Even the social services and court officials must have picked up some idea of what is going to be necessary ... They've had plenty of practice! And why the almost apologetic tone taken when applying for court time?..' we are hoping to be able to get a court date soon' etc..... We tax payers fund the court system. It needs to operate for our benefit - not for the court's 'convenience'. Surely the council can demand an immediate court hearing, especially as so many people are affected by these incursions each time. And if there is some 'technical' reason why that doesn't happen at present?... then change the procedure so that it does!!
or perhaps its more important to work within the law!
the way understand it, you have to post 7 working days notice of a court hearing to allow those posessing the land time to fine representation and attend the court hearing.
If reposession is granted, you then have to wait for the court bayliffs to action the warrent of possesion.
As I say in my post above: if there is a technical reason for the delay .. then change the procedure.
You have outlined a possible reason for that delay. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to find away of reducing the time that the travellers need to 'find representation and attend a court hearing' to less than 7 days?
If that is not possible, then change the law. It's clearly nonsensical as it stands....
[quote][p][bold]old git 2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Arjay[/bold] wrote: It continues to amaze me as to why it takes so long - every time - to issue these eviction orders? Surely, both Bournemouth and Poole Council officers now have enough experience in these procedures to be able to set them in motion immediately? Even the social services and court officials must have picked up some idea of what is going to be necessary ... They've had plenty of practice! And why the almost apologetic tone taken when applying for court time?..' we are hoping to be able to get a court date soon' etc..... We tax payers fund the court system. It needs to operate for our benefit - not for the court's 'convenience'. Surely the council can demand an immediate court hearing, especially as so many people are affected by these incursions each time. And if there is some 'technical' reason why that doesn't happen at present?... then change the procedure so that it does!![/p][/quote]or perhaps its more important to work within the law! the way understand it, you have to post 7 working days notice of a court hearing to allow those posessing the land time to fine representation and attend the court hearing. If reposession is granted, you then have to wait for the court bayliffs to action the warrent of possesion.[/p][/quote]As I say in my post above: if there is a technical reason for the delay .. then change the procedure. You have outlined a possible reason for that delay. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to find away of reducing the time that the travellers need to 'find representation and attend a court hearing' to less than 7 days? If that is not possible, then change the law. It's clearly nonsensical as it stands.... Arjay
  • Score: 2

3:58pm Wed 30 Jul 14

pete woodley says...

Best arms folded picture this year.
Best arms folded picture this year. pete woodley
  • Score: 2

4:25pm Wed 30 Jul 14

thevoiceofreason1 says...

Peroni wrote:
Red Leader 1 wrote:
sea poole wrote:
Cllr Dion -the preventative measures at Baiter Park really worked didn't they...?
Thats because Cllr Dion (& colleagues) clearly does not believe in protecting Poole car parks - can they be honest and openly admit this. Residents have asked for height or width restrictions but the answer is NO! The width restrictions at Whitecliff car park work as do the height barriers installed in Bournemouth town centre at the first sign of trouble last year.

Worried about loss of parking revenue? See for yourself that no one uses Baiter when the travellers are on site and of course they dont pay - just cost us £1000's in clean-ups. Here's a helpful compromise suggestion - height barriers for July and August and business as usual for the other 10 months. Common sense still has something to offer.
You have noticed that they are allowed to cut locks, pull barriers and fences down with out a penalty or convictions yes !
What's the point in spending £thousands. And then the police just let them in ?
Needs to be sorted in other areas,if they are claiming they are 'travellers' or ethinic what ever ....what about some form of passport system.
Seems our authority's just turn a blind eye to crimminal damage ,etc etc .
if you or i did it it would be criminal damage,but nothing happens to them because it is to much effort to take them to court.just a joke.they are in no way ethnic as most of them are not genuine by blood!!
[quote][p][bold]Peroni[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red Leader 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sea poole[/bold] wrote: Cllr Dion -the preventative measures at Baiter Park really worked didn't they...?[/p][/quote]Thats because Cllr Dion (& colleagues) clearly does not believe in protecting Poole car parks - can they be honest and openly admit this. Residents have asked for height or width restrictions but the answer is NO! The width restrictions at Whitecliff car park work as do the height barriers installed in Bournemouth town centre at the first sign of trouble last year. Worried about loss of parking revenue? See for yourself that no one uses Baiter when the travellers are on site and of course they dont pay - just cost us £1000's in clean-ups. Here's a helpful compromise suggestion - height barriers for July and August and business as usual for the other 10 months. Common sense still has something to offer.[/p][/quote]You have noticed that they are allowed to cut locks, pull barriers and fences down with out a penalty or convictions yes ! What's the point in spending £thousands. And then the police just let them in ? Needs to be sorted in other areas,if they are claiming they are 'travellers' or ethinic what ever ....what about some form of passport system. Seems our authority's just turn a blind eye to crimminal damage ,etc etc .[/p][/quote]if you or i did it it would be criminal damage,but nothing happens to them because it is to much effort to take them to court.just a joke.they are in no way ethnic as most of them are not genuine by blood!! thevoiceofreason1
  • Score: 6

4:27pm Wed 30 Jul 14

thevoiceofreason1 says...

is describing them as scum racially offensive....no but its true!
is describing them as scum racially offensive....no but its true! thevoiceofreason1
  • Score: 5

6:37pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Carolyn43 says...

Councillor Zena Dion you say “A great deal of work with local residents’ groups has been undertaken to manage the situation effectively and meet the needs of our local communities while meeting government requirements to support the travellers’ way of life.”

And has that done anything to alleviate the position for the people currently suffering? Answer: No. They're just meaningless words. Is anyone going to vote for her in May?
Councillor Zena Dion you say “A great deal of work with local residents’ groups has been undertaken to manage the situation effectively and meet the needs of our local communities while meeting government requirements to support the travellers’ way of life.” And has that done anything to alleviate the position for the people currently suffering? Answer: No. They're just meaningless words. Is anyone going to vote for her in May? Carolyn43
  • Score: 5

8:10pm Wed 30 Jul 14

steveatbournemouth says...

Stupid people lost the chance to stop this when the opportunity came up at Creekmoor, now live with it.
Stupid people lost the chance to stop this when the opportunity came up at Creekmoor, now live with it. steveatbournemouth
  • Score: -1

8:40am Thu 31 Jul 14

Carolyn43 says...

steveatbournemouth wrote:
Stupid people lost the chance to stop this when the opportunity came up at Creekmoor, now live with it.
Check your facts about what happened with Creekmoor before posting a stupid statement - the two sites were rejected by the Planning Committee for very solid reasons of the sites being totally unsuitable, which would have meant they would not have been used. They would only have stopped Council land being used and private land would have been used instead. Residents would have been no better off.
[quote][p][bold]steveatbournemouth[/bold] wrote: Stupid people lost the chance to stop this when the opportunity came up at Creekmoor, now live with it.[/p][/quote]Check your facts about what happened with Creekmoor before posting a stupid statement - the two sites were rejected by the Planning Committee for very solid reasons of the sites being totally unsuitable, which would have meant they would not have been used. They would only have stopped Council land being used and private land would have been used instead. Residents would have been no better off. Carolyn43
  • Score: 0

2:34pm Mon 4 Aug 14

phill67 says...

Minty Fresh wrote:
The Echo are very good at telling us where these nomadic pests pitch up but are absolutely hopeless at doing something about it on our behalf. A local paper is meant to back it's readers on important local issues, which should include the Editor of this rag standing up and publicly launching a campaign for a law change that would put an end to the discrimination WE are suffering as a result of the laws these tos*ers keep breaking and the mess they leave behind which we have to pay to clean up.

However, it's clear that this paper, it's totally anonymous part-time Editor, the police and the Council are all too spineless to tackle this issue. You should all be utterly ashamed of yourselves and your inaction.

Can someone explain to me why the courts cannot issue an eviction order that stands against ALL traveller/unauthoris

ed incursions on all local public/open spaces in the local area for a set period of time, like say three months? Surely this would give the authorities the power to move these nomadic parasites on immediately or they would face arrest or their vehicles being impounded?
Why cant signs be posted that no one is allowed to stay on the land and anyone who does will be removed and fined.
[quote][p][bold]Minty Fresh[/bold] wrote: The Echo are very good at telling us where these nomadic pests pitch up but are absolutely hopeless at doing something about it on our behalf. A local paper is meant to back it's readers on important local issues, which should include the Editor of this rag standing up and publicly launching a campaign for a law change that would put an end to the discrimination WE are suffering as a result of the laws these tos*ers keep breaking and the mess they leave behind which we have to pay to clean up. However, it's clear that this paper, it's totally anonymous part-time Editor, the police and the Council are all too spineless to tackle this issue. You should all be utterly ashamed of yourselves and your inaction. Can someone explain to me why the courts cannot issue an eviction order that stands against ALL traveller/unauthoris ed incursions on all local public/open spaces in the local area for a set period of time, like say three months? Surely this would give the authorities the power to move these nomadic parasites on immediately or they would face arrest or their vehicles being impounded?[/p][/quote]Why cant signs be posted that no one is allowed to stay on the land and anyone who does will be removed and fined. phill67
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree