Bournemouth MP Conor Burns accused of trying to “stifle” charities after making complaint over Oxfam advert

Bournemouth Echo: LETTER: Bournemouth West MP Conor Burns LETTER: Bournemouth West MP Conor Burns

SEVENTY-five charities and campaign groups have criticised a Bournemouth MP after he complained about an Oxfam advertising campaign.

They signed a letter to The Times accusing Bournemouth West MP Conor Burns of attempting to “stifle” them.

But Mr Burns has claimed the signatories were largely Labour supporters and that they were engaged in a “diversionary tactic of the left”.

Mr Burns complained recently to the chairman of the Charity Commission about a Twitter campaign in which Oxfam targeted government austerity measures.

The film poster-style ad showed a raging sea with the slogan “The perfect storm... starring zero hours contracts, high prices, benefits cuts, unemployment, childcare costs.”

In The Times letter, the 75 signatories – including representatives of the National Federation of Women’s Institutes, Christian Aid, Friends of the Earth and the Ramblers – said Mr Burns’ intervention was “an attempt to stifle charities and campaign groups taking part in public debate”.

But Mr Burns said: “That’s a classic diversionary tactic of the left to accuse me of wanting to stifle free speech when I’m well known as one of the leading opponents of press regulation. I believe vibrantly in freedom of speech.”

He pointed to a post by the conservative blogger Guido Fawkes, who said many of those opposing Mr Burns had connections with the Labour Party.

Mr Burns added: “I think most people know what we’re saying is true and these people are defending their own vested interests.”

He accepted there was poverty in the UK but added: “Any reasonable person would also accept that the conditions of the poor in Britain are not even comparable to the conditions of the poor in Africa, which most people think Oxfam are there to work on.”

He said of the letter: “I think it was an attempt at a bully-boy operation to say ‘Don’t take us on’.”

The authors of the letter said they were also concerned that the government’s Lobbying Act would restrict their ability to speak out on public policy for seven months ahead of an election. They said campaigning organisations had previously persuaded reluctant governments to “cancel poor countries’ debts, remove lead from petrol, prevent the selling of our forests and allow Gurkha veterans the right of residence in the UK

Comments (45)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:01am Tue 17 Jun 14

ben1982 says...

"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money." If honesty were suddenly introduced into political life, the whole system would collapse. MP Conor Burns is a nasty bit of work !!!!
"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money." If honesty were suddenly introduced into political life, the whole system would collapse. MP Conor Burns is a nasty bit of work !!!! ben1982
  • Score: 57

7:03am Tue 17 Jun 14

Baysider says...

Yeah you tell 'em Mr Burns! It's all a lefty conspiracy led by those marxists down at the Women's Institute and if you don't stamp down on this sort of thing hard and fast before you know it...the Ramblers are out rioting in the fields.
Yeah you tell 'em Mr Burns! It's all a lefty conspiracy led by those marxists down at the Women's Institute and if you don't stamp down on this sort of thing hard and fast before you know it...the Ramblers are out rioting in the fields. Baysider
  • Score: 40

7:10am Tue 17 Jun 14

fartycat says...

Because Guido Fawkes is such a reliable source and no way ever gets *anything* wrong at all.

No you just keep your head in the sand Connor Burns and keep continuing to ignore the very real poverty, zero hours contracts and poor housing that some of your constituents have to suffer.

I wrote to Connor Burns about the Lobbying Bill last year as I was concerned that charities would get a bashing over this type of thing. I got the usual patronising response denying that the bill would do anything yet here he is attacking charities just as I predicted.
Because Guido Fawkes is such a reliable source and no way ever gets *anything* wrong at all. No you just keep your head in the sand Connor Burns and keep continuing to ignore the very real poverty, zero hours contracts and poor housing that some of your constituents have to suffer. I wrote to Connor Burns about the Lobbying Bill last year as I was concerned that charities would get a bashing over this type of thing. I got the usual patronising response denying that the bill would do anything yet here he is attacking charities just as I predicted. fartycat
  • Score: 52

8:34am Tue 17 Jun 14

politicaltrainspotter says...

So he's complaining about what they have discussed as issues in parliament.This is not a complaint about the advert but to raise Conor Burns profile in the effort that he might get a senior post in any future tory government.

I have talked to people who have met him and when ask the reply was 'He's a slimeball and has a high opinion of himself.'

Lets hope Boirnemouth West kicks him out in 2015 and he goes back to where he came from.
So he's complaining about what they have discussed as issues in parliament.This is not a complaint about the advert but to raise Conor Burns profile in the effort that he might get a senior post in any future tory government. I have talked to people who have met him and when ask the reply was 'He's a slimeball and has a high opinion of himself.' Lets hope Boirnemouth West kicks him out in 2015 and he goes back to where he came from. politicaltrainspotter
  • Score: 40

8:35am Tue 17 Jun 14

twynham says...

The disgusting Mr Burns may wish to defend his government's actions which have lead to 1 in 5 of the UK population living below the official poverty line but I'm not sure I would use Paul Staines (Guido Fawkes) as a character witness!
The disgusting Mr Burns may wish to defend his government's actions which have lead to 1 in 5 of the UK population living below the official poverty line but I'm not sure I would use Paul Staines (Guido Fawkes) as a character witness! twynham
  • Score: 29

8:56am Tue 17 Jun 14

pete woodley says...

I too have met Conning Burns and he is very distasteful,gave me the creeps.
I too have met Conning Burns and he is very distasteful,gave me the creeps. pete woodley
  • Score: 39

8:59am Tue 17 Jun 14

MrPitiful says...

politicaltrainspotte
r
wrote:
So he's complaining about what they have discussed as issues in parliament.This is not a complaint about the advert but to raise Conor Burns profile in the effort that he might get a senior post in any future tory government.

I have talked to people who have met him and when ask the reply was 'He's a slimeball and has a high opinion of himself.'

Lets hope Boirnemouth West kicks him out in 2015 and he goes back to where he came from.
Absolutely spot on.

This man needs getting rid of for the good of the town and all of us.

Out of touch and ineffective.
[quote][p][bold]politicaltrainspotte r[/bold] wrote: So he's complaining about what they have discussed as issues in parliament.This is not a complaint about the advert but to raise Conor Burns profile in the effort that he might get a senior post in any future tory government. I have talked to people who have met him and when ask the reply was 'He's a slimeball and has a high opinion of himself.' Lets hope Boirnemouth West kicks him out in 2015 and he goes back to where he came from.[/p][/quote]Absolutely spot on. This man needs getting rid of for the good of the town and all of us. Out of touch and ineffective. MrPitiful
  • Score: 37

9:17am Tue 17 Jun 14

TheDistrict says...

This man is a buffoon. A self centred, egotistical, arrogant man who has no concern for the people of Bournemouth. For his term in office as one of our MPs he has been a total waste of tax payers money. His attitude towards such things as charity, housing, and anything to do with the poor is minimal, a man who does not care unless it is to his advantage.

Do not give him the X next May.
This man is a buffoon. A self centred, egotistical, arrogant man who has no concern for the people of Bournemouth. For his term in office as one of our MPs he has been a total waste of tax payers money. His attitude towards such things as charity, housing, and anything to do with the poor is minimal, a man who does not care unless it is to his advantage. Do not give him the X next May. TheDistrict
  • Score: 43

9:19am Tue 17 Jun 14

TalkToTheTrees says...

'But Mr Burns said: “That’s a classic diversionary tactic of the left..."'

No Mr Burns, your complaint is the diversion; it is an admission that drawing attention to the plight of the UK's poor – which is not only Oxfam’s right, but its duty – is tantamount to anti-Coalition rhetoric; and therefore contains the implicit admission that his party are neither dealing with the underlying issues, nor do they intend to.

The correct response should be “yes, we know; it’s unacceptable; we will do anything we can to deal with it”. Instead, any evidence which goes against the propaganda of a perfect recovery is threatened and bullied away. Mr Burns is clearly unwilling to deal with any root causes; he would rather make this cruel, violent attempt to make the resulting misery invisible.
'But Mr Burns said: “That’s a classic diversionary tactic of the left..."' No Mr Burns, your complaint is the diversion; it is an admission that drawing attention to the plight of the UK's poor – which is not only Oxfam’s right, but its duty – is tantamount to anti-Coalition rhetoric; and therefore contains the implicit admission that his party are neither dealing with the underlying issues, nor do they intend to. The correct response should be “yes, we know; it’s unacceptable; we will do anything we can to deal with it”. Instead, any evidence which goes against the propaganda of a perfect recovery is threatened and bullied away. Mr Burns is clearly unwilling to deal with any root causes; he would rather make this cruel, violent attempt to make the resulting misery invisible. TalkToTheTrees
  • Score: 41

9:37am Tue 17 Jun 14

we-shall-see says...

Mr Connor clearly knows nothing about poverty judging by the size of his own belt. He lives in a world where champagne quaffing is the norm, rather than the way some of his constituents live - trying to work out whether they can afford to put money on the electric key meter and also buy some food - and since the rise in the use of foodbanks locally has risen hugely, I guess putting the electricity on or paying bills, comes before eating any meals.

He is a disgrace to his constituents - although he's a perfect example of the tories - self opinionated, grossly out of touch and not the least interested in helping the poor of their own country. They live in a world of total denial and are rapidly taking us back to the Victorian days as far as the rich versus poor divide goes.
Mr Connor clearly knows nothing about poverty judging by the size of his own belt. He lives in a world where champagne quaffing is the norm, rather than the way some of his constituents live - trying to work out whether they can afford to put money on the electric key meter and also buy some food - and since the rise in the use of foodbanks locally has risen hugely, I guess putting the electricity on or paying bills, comes before eating any meals. He is a disgrace to his constituents - although he's a perfect example of the tories - self opinionated, grossly out of touch and not the least interested in helping the poor of their own country. They live in a world of total denial and are rapidly taking us back to the Victorian days as far as the rich versus poor divide goes. we-shall-see
  • Score: 48

9:38am Tue 17 Jun 14

podgie says...

What is the matter with you lot of smelly socialist workers,don't you remember all the good he has done,like that lovely picture of him taking tea with the the saintly Baroness Thatcher in his modest garden just prior to the great Lady passing.
In fact Tory Boy and I are starting a campaign petitioning the Pope to have her made a Saint..
(thumbs up anyone????)
What is the matter with you lot of smelly socialist workers,don't you remember all the good he has done,like that lovely picture of him taking tea with the the saintly Baroness Thatcher in his modest garden just prior to the great Lady passing. In fact Tory Boy and I are starting a campaign petitioning the Pope to have her made a Saint.. (thumbs up anyone????) podgie
  • Score: 1

9:39am Tue 17 Jun 14

we-shall-see says...

*Mr Connor Burns
*Mr Connor Burns we-shall-see
  • Score: 0

9:55am Tue 17 Jun 14

breamoreboy says...

TheDistrict wrote:
This man is a buffoon. A self centred, egotistical, arrogant man who has no concern for the people of Bournemouth. For his term in office as one of our MPs he has been a total waste of tax payers money. His attitude towards such things as charity, housing, and anything to do with the poor is minimal, a man who does not care unless it is to his advantage.

Do not give him the X next May.
The Conservative party could select a piece of rock for his seat and still win it. Sorry folks, you'd better batten down the hatches as he'll be around for a long time to come.
[quote][p][bold]TheDistrict[/bold] wrote: This man is a buffoon. A self centred, egotistical, arrogant man who has no concern for the people of Bournemouth. For his term in office as one of our MPs he has been a total waste of tax payers money. His attitude towards such things as charity, housing, and anything to do with the poor is minimal, a man who does not care unless it is to his advantage. Do not give him the X next May.[/p][/quote]The Conservative party could select a piece of rock for his seat and still win it. Sorry folks, you'd better batten down the hatches as he'll be around for a long time to come. breamoreboy
  • Score: 16

10:15am Tue 17 Jun 14

speedy231278 says...

breamoreboy wrote:
TheDistrict wrote:
This man is a buffoon. A self centred, egotistical, arrogant man who has no concern for the people of Bournemouth. For his term in office as one of our MPs he has been a total waste of tax payers money. His attitude towards such things as charity, housing, and anything to do with the poor is minimal, a man who does not care unless it is to his advantage.

Do not give him the X next May.
The Conservative party could select a piece of rock for his seat and still win it. Sorry folks, you'd better batten down the hatches as he'll be around for a long time to come.
Give it another 20 years and the town will be full of students, and all the blue rinse brigade will have died off.... maybe someone else will get in then, but I doubt it. Too many rich landlords, who are rich landlords because of the way the Tories systematically rape and pillage everything in sight for their own ends.
[quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheDistrict[/bold] wrote: This man is a buffoon. A self centred, egotistical, arrogant man who has no concern for the people of Bournemouth. For his term in office as one of our MPs he has been a total waste of tax payers money. His attitude towards such things as charity, housing, and anything to do with the poor is minimal, a man who does not care unless it is to his advantage. Do not give him the X next May.[/p][/quote]The Conservative party could select a piece of rock for his seat and still win it. Sorry folks, you'd better batten down the hatches as he'll be around for a long time to come.[/p][/quote]Give it another 20 years and the town will be full of students, and all the blue rinse brigade will have died off.... maybe someone else will get in then, but I doubt it. Too many rich landlords, who are rich landlords because of the way the Tories systematically rape and pillage everything in sight for their own ends. speedy231278
  • Score: 14

10:19am Tue 17 Jun 14

MattGillett says...

An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities).

Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road)

Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU

Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm
An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities). Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road) Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm MattGillett
  • Score: 26

10:28am Tue 17 Jun 14

DemonDiva says...

MattGillett wrote:
An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities).

Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road)

Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU

Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm
I would love to donate to the food banks, but their opening hours totally exclude my doing so I'm afraid.
I don't want to give money; I want to give a shopping trolley of food, as I did in Asda, St Pauls ages ago. But weekends are the only time when I can get out and about, even though I have relatives living in Stewart Road which makes it even more frustrating.
[quote][p][bold]MattGillett[/bold] wrote: An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities). Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road) Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm[/p][/quote]I would love to donate to the food banks, but their opening hours totally exclude my doing so I'm afraid. I don't want to give money; I want to give a shopping trolley of food, as I did in Asda, St Pauls ages ago. But weekends are the only time when I can get out and about, even though I have relatives living in Stewart Road which makes it even more frustrating. DemonDiva
  • Score: 11

10:29am Tue 17 Jun 14

DemonDiva says...

And just to keep things on topic - I'm on everyone else's side - Connor Burns is an idiot as stated by one of the other MPs in Parliament, was it last week? I just don't understand why that MP was forced to apologise for telling the truth!
And just to keep things on topic - I'm on everyone else's side - Connor Burns is an idiot as stated by one of the other MPs in Parliament, was it last week? I just don't understand why that MP was forced to apologise for telling the truth! DemonDiva
  • Score: 17

10:40am Tue 17 Jun 14

speedy231278 says...

Tories only believe in charity work when it involves businesses donating to and supporting their election campaigns in return for the obvious benefits when they are in office. I wonder how much money certain local and not local companies who seem to get all the council contracts for everything in the area donate each year? And how much goes through the books?
Tories only believe in charity work when it involves businesses donating to and supporting their election campaigns in return for the obvious benefits when they are in office. I wonder how much money certain local and not local companies who seem to get all the council contracts for everything in the area donate each year? And how much goes through the books? speedy231278
  • Score: 16

10:46am Tue 17 Jun 14

pauls55 says...

So all 75 charities are run by left wing loonies are they Mr Burns, including the National Federation of Women’s Institutes! What a pompous idiot you are.
So all 75 charities are run by left wing loonies are they Mr Burns, including the National Federation of Women’s Institutes! What a pompous idiot you are. pauls55
  • Score: 32

10:49am Tue 17 Jun 14

TalkToTheTrees says...

DemonDiva wrote:
And just to keep things on topic - I'm on everyone else's side - Connor Burns is an idiot as stated by one of the other MPs in Parliament, was it last week? I just don't understand why that MP was forced to apologise for telling the truth!
I'm afraid the idiot referred to in Parliament last week was Bournemouth's other MP, Tobias Ellwood who has now twice confused how the JSA claimant statistics are formulated. So we now have a full set.

The MP for Dudley East was forced to apologise for using unparliamentary language or, as it is know outside of the House of Commons, the truth.
[quote][p][bold]DemonDiva[/bold] wrote: And just to keep things on topic - I'm on everyone else's side - Connor Burns is an idiot as stated by one of the other MPs in Parliament, was it last week? I just don't understand why that MP was forced to apologise for telling the truth![/p][/quote]I'm afraid the idiot referred to in Parliament last week was Bournemouth's other MP, Tobias Ellwood who has now twice confused how the JSA claimant statistics are formulated. So we now have a full set. The MP for Dudley East was forced to apologise for using unparliamentary language or, as it is know outside of the House of Commons, the truth. TalkToTheTrees
  • Score: 24

10:51am Tue 17 Jun 14

BmthNewshound says...

Be under no false elusion about Conor Burns, he is one of the new class of career politicians who are arrogant and 100% focused on furthering their own political career. He was parachuted into Bournemouth West as it was a safe seat that even he couldn’t loose (having previously been rejected by the people of Eastleigh). Burns lacks conviction and has no concept of the fact that MP’s are there to serve the public. We used to have politicians who were passionate about and fought for what they believed in. We may not have agreed with their political views but we were never in any doubt what Tony Benn and Margaret Thatcher believed in and fought for. The same cannot be said of career politicians like Cameron, Miliband, Clegg, and Burns whose policies are all about grabbing headlines and gaining favour with voters.
.
In his comment “Any reasonable person would also accept that the conditions of the poor in Britain are not even comparable to the conditions of the poor in Africa” Burns shows how arrogant and out of touch he is. He seems to be saying that poverty is not a problem until you have children dying of starvation and living in makeshift shelters in shanty towns.
.
Whilst I agree that the benefits systems needs serious reform that doesn’t mean that we should deny that poverty is a growing problem in the UK. The benefits systems must never again provide a lifestyle choice but it must continue to provide a safety net for people in real need.
Be under no false elusion about Conor Burns, he is one of the new class of career politicians who are arrogant and 100% focused on furthering their own political career. He was parachuted into Bournemouth West as it was a safe seat that even he couldn’t loose (having previously been rejected by the people of Eastleigh). Burns lacks conviction and has no concept of the fact that MP’s are there to serve the public. We used to have politicians who were passionate about and fought for what they believed in. We may not have agreed with their political views but we were never in any doubt what Tony Benn and Margaret Thatcher believed in and fought for. The same cannot be said of career politicians like Cameron, Miliband, Clegg, and Burns whose policies are all about grabbing headlines and gaining favour with voters. . In his comment “Any reasonable person would also accept that the conditions of the poor in Britain are not even comparable to the conditions of the poor in Africa” Burns shows how arrogant and out of touch he is. He seems to be saying that poverty is not a problem until you have children dying of starvation and living in makeshift shelters in shanty towns. . Whilst I agree that the benefits systems needs serious reform that doesn’t mean that we should deny that poverty is a growing problem in the UK. The benefits systems must never again provide a lifestyle choice but it must continue to provide a safety net for people in real need. BmthNewshound
  • Score: 42

11:01am Tue 17 Jun 14

MattGillett says...

DemonDiva wrote:
MattGillett wrote:
An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities).

Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road)

Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU

Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm
I would love to donate to the food banks, but their opening hours totally exclude my doing so I'm afraid.
I don't want to give money; I want to give a shopping trolley of food, as I did in Asda, St Pauls ages ago. But weekends are the only time when I can get out and about, even though I have relatives living in Stewart Road which makes it even more frustrating.
There are also supermarket collections. Although supermarkets request volunteers to manage the collections. The next supermarket collection is Tesco, Castle lane, 3rd July to 5th July. Several churches also have Sunday morning collection points although I appreciate that some are uncomfortable with entering a church to drop off a few tins.
[quote][p][bold]DemonDiva[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MattGillett[/bold] wrote: An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities). Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road) Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm[/p][/quote]I would love to donate to the food banks, but their opening hours totally exclude my doing so I'm afraid. I don't want to give money; I want to give a shopping trolley of food, as I did in Asda, St Pauls ages ago. But weekends are the only time when I can get out and about, even though I have relatives living in Stewart Road which makes it even more frustrating.[/p][/quote]There are also supermarket collections. Although supermarkets request volunteers to manage the collections. The next supermarket collection is Tesco, Castle lane, 3rd July to 5th July. Several churches also have Sunday morning collection points although I appreciate that some are uncomfortable with entering a church to drop off a few tins. MattGillett
  • Score: 8

11:14am Tue 17 Jun 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

The Tories do seem to be trying to self-immolate at present. The loathing between Gove and May is a huge distraction. I suggest 'Call Me Dave' should have a cabinet reshuffle as soon as possible.
The Tories do seem to be trying to self-immolate at present. The loathing between Gove and May is a huge distraction. I suggest 'Call Me Dave' should have a cabinet reshuffle as soon as possible. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 7

12:18pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Martin Houlden UKIP Bournemouth says...

BmthNewshound wrote:
Be under no false elusion about Conor Burns, he is one of the new class of career politicians who are arrogant and 100% focused on furthering their own political career. He was parachuted into Bournemouth West as it was a safe seat that even he couldn’t loose (having previously been rejected by the people of Eastleigh). Burns lacks conviction and has no concept of the fact that MP’s are there to serve the public. We used to have politicians who were passionate about and fought for what they believed in. We may not have agreed with their political views but we were never in any doubt what Tony Benn and Margaret Thatcher believed in and fought for. The same cannot be said of career politicians like Cameron, Miliband, Clegg, and Burns whose policies are all about grabbing headlines and gaining favour with voters.
.
In his comment “Any reasonable person would also accept that the conditions of the poor in Britain are not even comparable to the conditions of the poor in Africa” Burns shows how arrogant and out of touch he is. He seems to be saying that poverty is not a problem until you have children dying of starvation and living in makeshift shelters in shanty towns.
.
Whilst I agree that the benefits systems needs serious reform that doesn’t mean that we should deny that poverty is a growing problem in the UK. The benefits systems must never again provide a lifestyle choice but it must continue to provide a safety net for people in real need.
I'm not going to make comment personally as it'll be seen to be party political, and it might veer this thread away from the topic.

But can I just say that's one of the best comments I've seen, and I agree with you 100%
[quote][p][bold]BmthNewshound[/bold] wrote: Be under no false elusion about Conor Burns, he is one of the new class of career politicians who are arrogant and 100% focused on furthering their own political career. He was parachuted into Bournemouth West as it was a safe seat that even he couldn’t loose (having previously been rejected by the people of Eastleigh). Burns lacks conviction and has no concept of the fact that MP’s are there to serve the public. We used to have politicians who were passionate about and fought for what they believed in. We may not have agreed with their political views but we were never in any doubt what Tony Benn and Margaret Thatcher believed in and fought for. The same cannot be said of career politicians like Cameron, Miliband, Clegg, and Burns whose policies are all about grabbing headlines and gaining favour with voters. . In his comment “Any reasonable person would also accept that the conditions of the poor in Britain are not even comparable to the conditions of the poor in Africa” Burns shows how arrogant and out of touch he is. He seems to be saying that poverty is not a problem until you have children dying of starvation and living in makeshift shelters in shanty towns. . Whilst I agree that the benefits systems needs serious reform that doesn’t mean that we should deny that poverty is a growing problem in the UK. The benefits systems must never again provide a lifestyle choice but it must continue to provide a safety net for people in real need.[/p][/quote]I'm not going to make comment personally as it'll be seen to be party political, and it might veer this thread away from the topic. But can I just say that's one of the best comments I've seen, and I agree with you 100% Martin Houlden UKIP Bournemouth
  • Score: 9

1:13pm Tue 17 Jun 14

DemonDiva says...

TalkToTheTrees wrote:
DemonDiva wrote:
And just to keep things on topic - I'm on everyone else's side - Connor Burns is an idiot as stated by one of the other MPs in Parliament, was it last week? I just don't understand why that MP was forced to apologise for telling the truth!
I'm afraid the idiot referred to in Parliament last week was Bournemouth's other MP, Tobias Ellwood who has now twice confused how the JSA claimant statistics are formulated. So we now have a full set.

The MP for Dudley East was forced to apologise for using unparliamentary language or, as it is know outside of the House of Commons, the truth.
Yes, you are absolutely correct, thank you for correcting me.

However, it just makes them two of a kind I think.
[quote][p][bold]TalkToTheTrees[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DemonDiva[/bold] wrote: And just to keep things on topic - I'm on everyone else's side - Connor Burns is an idiot as stated by one of the other MPs in Parliament, was it last week? I just don't understand why that MP was forced to apologise for telling the truth![/p][/quote]I'm afraid the idiot referred to in Parliament last week was Bournemouth's other MP, Tobias Ellwood who has now twice confused how the JSA claimant statistics are formulated. So we now have a full set. The MP for Dudley East was forced to apologise for using unparliamentary language or, as it is know outside of the House of Commons, the truth.[/p][/quote]Yes, you are absolutely correct, thank you for correcting me. However, it just makes them two of a kind I think. DemonDiva
  • Score: 2

1:16pm Tue 17 Jun 14

DemonDiva says...

MattGillett wrote:
DemonDiva wrote:
MattGillett wrote:
An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities).

Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road)

Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU

Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm
I would love to donate to the food banks, but their opening hours totally exclude my doing so I'm afraid.
I don't want to give money; I want to give a shopping trolley of food, as I did in Asda, St Pauls ages ago. But weekends are the only time when I can get out and about, even though I have relatives living in Stewart Road which makes it even more frustrating.
There are also supermarket collections. Although supermarkets request volunteers to manage the collections. The next supermarket collection is Tesco, Castle lane, 3rd July to 5th July. Several churches also have Sunday morning collection points although I appreciate that some are uncomfortable with entering a church to drop off a few tins.
Tesco Castle Lane will do me! Thank you.
Do you know where I would be able to find a list of collection times & points?
I consider myself to be very fortunate to not be facing the problems the food banks users are - but you never ever know what's round the corner. Reap what you sow.
[quote][p][bold]MattGillett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DemonDiva[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MattGillett[/bold] wrote: An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities). Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road) Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm[/p][/quote]I would love to donate to the food banks, but their opening hours totally exclude my doing so I'm afraid. I don't want to give money; I want to give a shopping trolley of food, as I did in Asda, St Pauls ages ago. But weekends are the only time when I can get out and about, even though I have relatives living in Stewart Road which makes it even more frustrating.[/p][/quote]There are also supermarket collections. Although supermarkets request volunteers to manage the collections. The next supermarket collection is Tesco, Castle lane, 3rd July to 5th July. Several churches also have Sunday morning collection points although I appreciate that some are uncomfortable with entering a church to drop off a few tins.[/p][/quote]Tesco Castle Lane will do me! Thank you. Do you know where I would be able to find a list of collection times & points? I consider myself to be very fortunate to not be facing the problems the food banks users are - but you never ever know what's round the corner. Reap what you sow. DemonDiva
  • Score: 3

2:00pm Tue 17 Jun 14

MrPitiful says...

We have had a letter shoved through our door today from this excuse for a politician.

It's a thinly veiled anti-wind farm questionnaire.
At the end of the questionnaire, there is a box which offers the opportunity to raise any other issues with Conor Burns "as your MP"

Suggestions anyone??
We have had a letter shoved through our door today from this excuse for a politician. It's a thinly veiled anti-wind farm questionnaire. At the end of the questionnaire, there is a box which offers the opportunity to raise any other issues with Conor Burns "as your MP" Suggestions anyone?? MrPitiful
  • Score: 11

2:50pm Tue 17 Jun 14

pete woodley says...

MrPitiful wrote:
We have had a letter shoved through our door today from this excuse for a politician.

It's a thinly veiled anti-wind farm questionnaire.
At the end of the questionnaire, there is a box which offers the opportunity to raise any other issues with Conor Burns "as your MP"

Suggestions anyone??
Wrong type of paper.
[quote][p][bold]MrPitiful[/bold] wrote: We have had a letter shoved through our door today from this excuse for a politician. It's a thinly veiled anti-wind farm questionnaire. At the end of the questionnaire, there is a box which offers the opportunity to raise any other issues with Conor Burns "as your MP" Suggestions anyone??[/p][/quote]Wrong type of paper. pete woodley
  • Score: 5

3:08pm Tue 17 Jun 14

breamoreboy says...

DemonDiva wrote:
And just to keep things on topic - I'm on everyone else's side - Connor Burns is an idiot as stated by one of the other MPs in Parliament, was it last week? I just don't understand why that MP was forced to apologise for telling the truth!
Because telling the truth in our modern day Parliament simply isn't the done thing? Spin is the in thing, or as I prefer it bare faced lies.
[quote][p][bold]DemonDiva[/bold] wrote: And just to keep things on topic - I'm on everyone else's side - Connor Burns is an idiot as stated by one of the other MPs in Parliament, was it last week? I just don't understand why that MP was forced to apologise for telling the truth![/p][/quote]Because telling the truth in our modern day Parliament simply isn't the done thing? Spin is the in thing, or as I prefer it bare faced lies. breamoreboy
  • Score: 4

3:18pm Tue 17 Jun 14

breamoreboy says...

Sir Beachy Head wrote:
The Tories do seem to be trying to self-immolate at present. The loathing between Gove and May is a huge distraction. I suggest 'Call Me Dave' should have a cabinet reshuffle as soon as possible.
What's the point of a cabinet reshuffle? As BmthNewshound pointed out earlier, they're all career politicians. They know nothing about industry, commerce, poverty, transport, energy, agriculture or whatever. Square sticks in round holes. Hum, I'm thinking hard about trying that, but unfortunately they're all far too stupid to actually feel anything.
[quote][p][bold]Sir Beachy Head[/bold] wrote: The Tories do seem to be trying to self-immolate at present. The loathing between Gove and May is a huge distraction. I suggest 'Call Me Dave' should have a cabinet reshuffle as soon as possible.[/p][/quote]What's the point of a cabinet reshuffle? As BmthNewshound pointed out earlier, they're all career politicians. They know nothing about industry, commerce, poverty, transport, energy, agriculture or whatever. Square sticks in round holes. Hum, I'm thinking hard about trying that, but unfortunately they're all far too stupid to actually feel anything. breamoreboy
  • Score: 1

4:18pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Baysider says...

What a weird bunch Echo readers are. I don't think one person has defended this reprehensible person on here yet somehow he got voted in and more than one of you probably voted for him. Worse still if there were an election tomorrow you would go out and do the same again!
What a weird bunch Echo readers are. I don't think one person has defended this reprehensible person on here yet somehow he got voted in and more than one of you probably voted for him. Worse still if there were an election tomorrow you would go out and do the same again! Baysider
  • Score: -8

5:49pm Tue 17 Jun 14

MrPitiful says...

Baysider wrote:
What a weird bunch Echo readers are. I don't think one person has defended this reprehensible person on here yet somehow he got voted in and more than one of you probably voted for him. Worse still if there were an election tomorrow you would go out and do the same again!
Well I certainly never voted for him. And if there was an election tomorrow, I wouldn't be voting for him then either.

I think the problem is the high concentration of older generation tory voters who live in his constituency who would vote for Kermit the Frog if he was wearing a blue rosette.

As someone previously indicated, the electoral demographic is slowly changing but in the meantime we are stuck with him and his inefficient out-of-touch ways.
[quote][p][bold]Baysider[/bold] wrote: What a weird bunch Echo readers are. I don't think one person has defended this reprehensible person on here yet somehow he got voted in and more than one of you probably voted for him. Worse still if there were an election tomorrow you would go out and do the same again![/p][/quote]Well I certainly never voted for him. And if there was an election tomorrow, I wouldn't be voting for him then either. I think the problem is the high concentration of older generation tory voters who live in his constituency who would vote for Kermit the Frog if he was wearing a blue rosette. As someone previously indicated, the electoral demographic is slowly changing but in the meantime we are stuck with him and his inefficient out-of-touch ways. MrPitiful
  • Score: 10

6:25pm Tue 17 Jun 14

itsneverblackorwhite says...

Great to see him tackling the real issues!
Great to see him tackling the real issues! itsneverblackorwhite
  • Score: 3

7:37pm Tue 17 Jun 14

FerryFan says...

I got one of his windfarm questionnaires in the post this morning. I wrote to Mr Burns myself, about benefit issues a while back and although his response was so-so he made it clear how he supports the benefit reforms. Although I agree on his stance with the windfarms I will not be retuning my form as I know it is just pointless.
I got one of his windfarm questionnaires in the post this morning. I wrote to Mr Burns myself, about benefit issues a while back and although his response was so-so he made it clear how he supports the benefit reforms. Although I agree on his stance with the windfarms I will not be retuning my form as I know it is just pointless. FerryFan
  • Score: 0

7:51pm Tue 17 Jun 14

apm1954 says...

prat
prat apm1954
  • Score: 5

8:21pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Palantir says...

"I believe vibrantly in freedom of speech." - Except when it comes into conflict with you and your party Mr Burns...
"I believe vibrantly in freedom of speech." - Except when it comes into conflict with you and your party Mr Burns... Palantir
  • Score: 12

8:51pm Tue 17 Jun 14

rozmister says...

DemonDiva wrote:
MattGillett wrote:
DemonDiva wrote:
MattGillett wrote:
An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities).

Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road)

Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU

Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm
I would love to donate to the food banks, but their opening hours totally exclude my doing so I'm afraid.
I don't want to give money; I want to give a shopping trolley of food, as I did in Asda, St Pauls ages ago. But weekends are the only time when I can get out and about, even though I have relatives living in Stewart Road which makes it even more frustrating.
There are also supermarket collections. Although supermarkets request volunteers to manage the collections. The next supermarket collection is Tesco, Castle lane, 3rd July to 5th July. Several churches also have Sunday morning collection points although I appreciate that some are uncomfortable with entering a church to drop off a few tins.
Tesco Castle Lane will do me! Thank you.
Do you know where I would be able to find a list of collection times & points?
I consider myself to be very fortunate to not be facing the problems the food banks users are - but you never ever know what's round the corner. Reap what you sow.
You can also drop it off at your local Bournemouth library although a trolley load may be a bit more than they can manage! I have a cupboard clear out every few months and anything that isn't getting used goes to the food bank so someone who needs it can have it. I drop mine into Bournemouth Central or Boscombe Library and apparently the food bank come and collect it :)
[quote][p][bold]DemonDiva[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MattGillett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DemonDiva[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MattGillett[/bold] wrote: An integral part of poverty intervention is making people aware of poverty. Because when people are aware, some people will act. When some people act things start to change. Let's defy this vicious attack by Connor Burns on his less fortunate constituents in a really positive way and make this week the best ever collection for the food banks. (non perishables, be aware that many recipients have restricted access to cooking facilities). Suite 5 Wessex House, St Leonard's Road, Charminster, Bournemouth BH8 8QS (Visitors please come to the back alley in Stewart Road) Bournemouth Community Church - Life Centre, 711-715 Wimborne Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2AU Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.00pm[/p][/quote]I would love to donate to the food banks, but their opening hours totally exclude my doing so I'm afraid. I don't want to give money; I want to give a shopping trolley of food, as I did in Asda, St Pauls ages ago. But weekends are the only time when I can get out and about, even though I have relatives living in Stewart Road which makes it even more frustrating.[/p][/quote]There are also supermarket collections. Although supermarkets request volunteers to manage the collections. The next supermarket collection is Tesco, Castle lane, 3rd July to 5th July. Several churches also have Sunday morning collection points although I appreciate that some are uncomfortable with entering a church to drop off a few tins.[/p][/quote]Tesco Castle Lane will do me! Thank you. Do you know where I would be able to find a list of collection times & points? I consider myself to be very fortunate to not be facing the problems the food banks users are - but you never ever know what's round the corner. Reap what you sow.[/p][/quote]You can also drop it off at your local Bournemouth library although a trolley load may be a bit more than they can manage! I have a cupboard clear out every few months and anything that isn't getting used goes to the food bank so someone who needs it can have it. I drop mine into Bournemouth Central or Boscombe Library and apparently the food bank come and collect it :) rozmister
  • Score: 0

9:36pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Loyal2AFCB says...

If it wasn't for the efforts of "The Left " Mr Burns", people of your sexual orientation would still be criminalised. At least show a little bit of humility.
If it wasn't for the efforts of "The Left " Mr Burns", people of your sexual orientation would still be criminalised. At least show a little bit of humility. Loyal2AFCB
  • Score: 8

10:47pm Tue 17 Jun 14

tallbotty says...

As a local volunteer I am so angry at Mr Burns, so much for the big society. Why aren't any of the other local Tories standing up for the work that people do. Their compliance by inaction is also disgusting. I would like to apologize for voting Conservative in the past, it will never happen again.
As a local volunteer I am so angry at Mr Burns, so much for the big society. Why aren't any of the other local Tories standing up for the work that people do. Their compliance by inaction is also disgusting. I would like to apologize for voting Conservative in the past, it will never happen again. tallbotty
  • Score: 13

11:04pm Tue 17 Jun 14

whataboutthat says...

He's so 25 watts.
Let'smove on...
He's so 25 watts. Let'smove on... whataboutthat
  • Score: -7

11:36pm Tue 17 Jun 14

dorsetred says...

Connor Burns my post will surely come as a welcome relief as I sincerely wish you and your family all the luck you deserve in this world and the next.
Connor Burns my post will surely come as a welcome relief as I sincerely wish you and your family all the luck you deserve in this world and the next. dorsetred
  • Score: -13

11:15am Wed 18 Jun 14

bearcub1972 says...

Off subject but. Had a letter (as did so many others) on HOC headed paper about the wind farm. How much did this cost when it could have been done so much cheaper and efficiently? I too have met CB and agree with all the other negative comments about him, he gave me the creeps, slimy, self centred etc. Glad to see our taxpayers money is increasing his waistline year after year. Horrible man. And no i didn't (and never will) vote for it.
Off subject but. Had a letter (as did so many others) on HOC headed paper about the wind farm. How much did this cost when it could have been done so much cheaper and efficiently? I too have met CB and agree with all the other negative comments about him, he gave me the creeps, slimy, self centred etc. Glad to see our taxpayers money is increasing his waistline year after year. Horrible man. And no i didn't (and never will) vote for it. bearcub1972
  • Score: 6

11:20am Wed 18 Jun 14

Ophilum says...

Charities should be what they say on the tin they should not be for a political soap box be they left right or centre. He is quite correct in this.
Charities should be what they say on the tin they should not be for a political soap box be they left right or centre. He is quite correct in this. Ophilum
  • Score: -5

1:40pm Wed 18 Jun 14

HRH of Boscombe says...

pete woodley wrote:
I too have met Conning Burns and he is very distasteful,gave me the creeps.
He looks like a fat pig that's had his snout in the trough too long.

Did you meet him a the petting farm?
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: I too have met Conning Burns and he is very distasteful,gave me the creeps.[/p][/quote]He looks like a fat pig that's had his snout in the trough too long. Did you meet him a the petting farm? HRH of Boscombe
  • Score: 2

2:10pm Wed 18 Jun 14

MattGillett says...

Ophilum wrote:
Charities should be what they say on the tin they should not be for a political soap box be they left right or centre. He is quite correct in this.
By highlighting the cases of certain people, charities are doing exactly what they say on the tin. If I support Rambling or the Womens Intitute that doesn't automatically make me a 'lefty'. The most basic aspect of charity is representing a cause and trying to make the world better. Connor and yourself are wrong to want to shut foodbanks down for representing their valid causes.
[quote][p][bold]Ophilum[/bold] wrote: Charities should be what they say on the tin they should not be for a political soap box be they left right or centre. He is quite correct in this.[/p][/quote]By highlighting the cases of certain people, charities are doing exactly what they say on the tin. If I support Rambling or the Womens Intitute that doesn't automatically make me a 'lefty'. The most basic aspect of charity is representing a cause and trying to make the world better. Connor and yourself are wrong to want to shut foodbanks down for representing their valid causes. MattGillett
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree