Young girl 'lucky not to lose her eye' claims mum after in dog attack in New Milton

Emily Leach and her daughter Lucie

Emily Leach and her daughter Lucie

First published in News
Last updated

POLICE have launched an investigation after a New Forest schoolgirl was viciously attacked by a dog.

Mum Emily Leach has told how terrified daughter Lucie was left with blood streaming from her face when the dog she was stroking sunk its teeth into her cheek.

The ten-year-old from New Milton, who had dreams of being a vet, was taken to the Lymington New Forest Hospital before being transferred to Southampton General where she had 11 stitches in her face.

Emily said that her daughter was lucky not to be blinded by the “unprovoked” attack, which happened in Cadhay Close.

The mum-of-four, who lives near where the attack happened, was talking to a friend when she heard her daughter scream.

She recalled how she found the youngster curled up on the ground trying to protect her face as the dog’s owners ushered the animal away.

Mrs Leach, 33, said: “I saw my daughter stroking the dog, then next thing I heard this noise and ran to find my daughter lying down.

“I picked my daughter from the floor and blood was gushing from her face, and I took her inside.

“One of the puncture wounds was half an inch below her right eye, and she was lucky not to have been blinded.”

She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it. Now she wants it put down.

“The owners did not show a huge amount of concern and claimed that the dog had never done anything like that before,” Mrs Leach added.

“I do not want the dog going outside because it can hurt anybody.”

Since the attack the young girl is now anxious around dogs. Hampshire police confirmed they are investigating the attack, which happened at 7.30pm on Friday.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:55am Thu 10 Apr 14

Timaz2 says...

Like the bit about having dreams of being a vet.
Like the bit about having dreams of being a vet. Timaz2
  • Score: 0

11:03am Thu 10 Apr 14

nobbythesheep says...

When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.
When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price. nobbythesheep
  • Score: 0

12:13pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Pasiphae says...

nobbythesheep wrote:
When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.
She apparently asked the owners and was given the ok by them...certainly the only blame lies with the idiotic, irresponsible owners who not only allowed this to occur but are willing to risk it happening again; not the dog, the child or the mother.
[quote][p][bold]nobbythesheep[/bold] wrote: When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.[/p][/quote]She apparently asked the owners and was given the ok by them...certainly the only blame lies with the idiotic, irresponsible owners who not only allowed this to occur but are willing to risk it happening again; not the dog, the child or the mother. Pasiphae
  • Score: 0

12:14pm Thu 10 Apr 14

scrumpyjack says...

nobbythesheep wrote:
When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.
Quick lets blame the victim?

From the article:

She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it.
[quote][p][bold]nobbythesheep[/bold] wrote: When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.[/p][/quote]Quick lets blame the victim? From the article: She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 3

1:11pm Thu 10 Apr 14

KitKatPuss says...

Ok...I am sorry that the young girl got hurt in this incident and I hope she fully recovers soon....HOWEVER please note that the dog here is not detailed as being a bull breed (hence the lack of comments)...it is stated that APPARENTLY the young girl asked the owners of the dog if she could stroke it, if she did ask then well done to the little girl....however the MOTHER states that she saw her little girl stroking the dog and turned away...ahem....she shouldn't have turned away at all and should have been supervising her child.....why oh why do people say dogs owners should be more responsible and always have sight of their dogs yet it is still ok for parents to occassionally look away from their children?
Ok...I am sorry that the young girl got hurt in this incident and I hope she fully recovers soon....HOWEVER please note that the dog here is not detailed as being a bull breed (hence the lack of comments)...it is stated that APPARENTLY the young girl asked the owners of the dog if she could stroke it, if she did ask then well done to the little girl....however the MOTHER states that she saw her little girl stroking the dog and turned away...ahem....she shouldn't have turned away at all and should have been supervising her child.....why oh why do people say dogs owners should be more responsible and always have sight of their dogs yet it is still ok for parents to occassionally look away from their children? KitKatPuss
  • Score: 3

1:44pm Thu 10 Apr 14

scrumpyjack says...

KitKatPuss wrote:
Ok...I am sorry that the young girl got hurt in this incident and I hope she fully recovers soon....HOWEVER please note that the dog here is not detailed as being a bull breed (hence the lack of comments)...it is stated that APPARENTLY the young girl asked the owners of the dog if she could stroke it, if she did ask then well done to the little girl....however the MOTHER states that she saw her little girl stroking the dog and turned away...ahem....she shouldn't have turned away at all and should have been supervising her child.....why oh why do people say dogs owners should be more responsible and always have sight of their dogs yet it is still ok for parents to occassionally look away from their children?
Christ another one.

Why apparently (and why shout this word as if it is fact and shouting will make it seem more so?)?

Read it and then read it again (out loud may help)......

'She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog was safe to stroke before approaching it.'

Oh I forgot to shout.......

She added that her daughter HAD ASKED the owners if the dog was safe to stroke before approaching it.



Why oh why do people still use the phrase 'why oh why' it's such a cliché and belongs to the saddos who wrote to Points of View in the 70's and 80's bemoaning some frippery. Mind you it does say a lot about that person. Saddos.
[quote][p][bold]KitKatPuss[/bold] wrote: Ok...I am sorry that the young girl got hurt in this incident and I hope she fully recovers soon....HOWEVER please note that the dog here is not detailed as being a bull breed (hence the lack of comments)...it is stated that APPARENTLY the young girl asked the owners of the dog if she could stroke it, if she did ask then well done to the little girl....however the MOTHER states that she saw her little girl stroking the dog and turned away...ahem....she shouldn't have turned away at all and should have been supervising her child.....why oh why do people say dogs owners should be more responsible and always have sight of their dogs yet it is still ok for parents to occassionally look away from their children?[/p][/quote]Christ another one. Why apparently (and why shout this word as if it is fact and shouting will make it seem more so?)? Read it and then read it again (out loud may help)...... 'She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog was safe to stroke before approaching it.' Oh I forgot to shout....... She added that her daughter HAD ASKED the owners if the dog was safe to stroke before approaching it. Why oh why do people still use the phrase 'why oh why' it's such a cliché and belongs to the saddos who wrote to Points of View in the 70's and 80's bemoaning some frippery. Mind you it does say a lot about that person. Saddos. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Thu 10 Apr 14

carrrob says...

Now are you sure it wasnt a staffy !!!!!!!
Now are you sure it wasnt a staffy !!!!!!! carrrob
  • Score: -1

2:13pm Thu 10 Apr 14

nobbythesheep says...

scrumpyjack wrote:
nobbythesheep wrote:
When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.
Quick lets blame the victim?

From the article:

She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it.
Thats been added since I wrote the comment.
[quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nobbythesheep[/bold] wrote: When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.[/p][/quote]Quick lets blame the victim? From the article: She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it.[/p][/quote]Thats been added since I wrote the comment. nobbythesheep
  • Score: -3

2:55pm Thu 10 Apr 14

scrumpyjack says...

nobbythesheep wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
nobbythesheep wrote:
When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.
Quick lets blame the victim?

From the article:

She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it.
Thats been added since I wrote the comment.
No they haven't.
[quote][p][bold]nobbythesheep[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nobbythesheep[/bold] wrote: When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.[/p][/quote]Quick lets blame the victim? From the article: She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it.[/p][/quote]Thats been added since I wrote the comment.[/p][/quote]No they haven't. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 1

4:32pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Bournemouth87 says...

I believe as the young victim asked the owners of she could stoke the dog it is the owners fault. If a child asks if they can stoke my dog I always stand right there and stroke the dog at the same time as the child. Whilst I believe my dog would not hurt anyone you can never be to careful with dogs.This way I can protect the child if the dog does turn. If the dog has now done it once it is not worth the risk of it hurting another child or adult. Unfortunately I believe this dog should be put down and this is all because of bad owners.
I believe as the young victim asked the owners of she could stoke the dog it is the owners fault. If a child asks if they can stoke my dog I always stand right there and stroke the dog at the same time as the child. Whilst I believe my dog would not hurt anyone you can never be to careful with dogs.This way I can protect the child if the dog does turn. If the dog has now done it once it is not worth the risk of it hurting another child or adult. Unfortunately I believe this dog should be put down and this is all because of bad owners. Bournemouth87
  • Score: 1

4:37pm Thu 10 Apr 14

nobbythesheep says...

scrumpyjack wrote:
nobbythesheep wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
nobbythesheep wrote:
When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.
Quick lets blame the victim?

From the article:

She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it.
Thats been added since I wrote the comment.
No they haven't.
Yes they did
[quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nobbythesheep[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nobbythesheep[/bold] wrote: When I was young my mum always told me not to go up to dogs I wasn't introduced too. I'm not for one second saying it was provoked but at the end of the day its still just an animal and as such inst predictable. the mother shouldn't let her daughter go up to random dogs and her daughter paid the unfortunate price.[/p][/quote]Quick lets blame the victim? From the article: She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it.[/p][/quote]Thats been added since I wrote the comment.[/p][/quote]No they haven't.[/p][/quote]Yes they did nobbythesheep
  • Score: 0

7:40pm Thu 10 Apr 14

X Old Bill says...

The girl asked the owner...........
Yes, but what is not reported is the dog owner's reply.
Maybe the dog owner did not give permission - just a thought.
The girl asked the owner........... Yes, but what is not reported is the dog owner's reply. Maybe the dog owner did not give permission - just a thought. X Old Bill
  • Score: 2

1:09pm Fri 11 Apr 14

KitKatPuss says...

scrumpyjack wrote:
KitKatPuss wrote:
Ok...I am sorry that the young girl got hurt in this incident and I hope she fully recovers soon....HOWEVER please note that the dog here is not detailed as being a bull breed (hence the lack of comments)...it is stated that APPARENTLY the young girl asked the owners of the dog if she could stroke it, if she did ask then well done to the little girl....however the MOTHER states that she saw her little girl stroking the dog and turned away...ahem....she shouldn't have turned away at all and should have been supervising her child.....why oh why do people say dogs owners should be more responsible and always have sight of their dogs yet it is still ok for parents to occassionally look away from their children?
Christ another one.

Why apparently (and why shout this word as if it is fact and shouting will make it seem more so?)?

Read it and then read it again (out loud may help)......

'She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog was safe to stroke before approaching it.'

Oh I forgot to shout.......

She added that her daughter HAD ASKED the owners if the dog was safe to stroke before approaching it.



Why oh why do people still use the phrase 'why oh why' it's such a cliché and belongs to the saddos who wrote to Points of View in the 70's and 80's bemoaning some frippery. Mind you it does say a lot about that person. Saddos.
I never resorted to calling people 'saddos.....and not sure what you mean by 'christ...another one'?

I just stated that the mother said her daughter had asked if she could stroke the dog...how do we know this is true? Where is the dog owner in all of this? Where is their view? For all we know the little girl just went up to the dog to stroke it without asking?

Again the mother should not have turned away!
[quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]KitKatPuss[/bold] wrote: Ok...I am sorry that the young girl got hurt in this incident and I hope she fully recovers soon....HOWEVER please note that the dog here is not detailed as being a bull breed (hence the lack of comments)...it is stated that APPARENTLY the young girl asked the owners of the dog if she could stroke it, if she did ask then well done to the little girl....however the MOTHER states that she saw her little girl stroking the dog and turned away...ahem....she shouldn't have turned away at all and should have been supervising her child.....why oh why do people say dogs owners should be more responsible and always have sight of their dogs yet it is still ok for parents to occassionally look away from their children?[/p][/quote]Christ another one. Why apparently (and why shout this word as if it is fact and shouting will make it seem more so?)? Read it and then read it again (out loud may help)...... 'She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog was safe to stroke before approaching it.' Oh I forgot to shout....... She added that her daughter HAD ASKED the owners if the dog was safe to stroke before approaching it. Why oh why do people still use the phrase 'why oh why' it's such a cliché and belongs to the saddos who wrote to Points of View in the 70's and 80's bemoaning some frippery. Mind you it does say a lot about that person. Saddos.[/p][/quote]I never resorted to calling people 'saddos.....and not sure what you mean by 'christ...another one'? I just stated that the mother said her daughter had asked if she could stroke the dog...how do we know this is true? Where is the dog owner in all of this? Where is their view? For all we know the little girl just went up to the dog to stroke it without asking? Again the mother should not have turned away! KitKatPuss
  • Score: 1

9:07pm Sun 13 Apr 14

stevobath says...

KitKatPuss wrote:
Ok...I am sorry that the young girl got hurt in this incident and I hope she fully recovers soon....HOWEVER please note that the dog here is not detailed as being a bull breed (hence the lack of comments)...it is stated that APPARENTLY the young girl asked the owners of the dog if she could stroke it, if she did ask then well done to the little girl....however the MOTHER states that she saw her little girl stroking the dog and turned away...ahem....she shouldn't have turned away at all and should have been supervising her child.....why oh why do people say dogs owners should be more responsible and always have sight of their dogs yet it is still ok for parents to occassionally look away from their children?
There would be an awful lot more comments if, as you say, it was a Bull breed.

The rabid BSL supporters would be out in force.

As for 'Scrumpyjacks' name calling? Shouldn't drink then log onto comments section of the ECHO... always going to end up insulting people.
[quote][p][bold]KitKatPuss[/bold] wrote: Ok...I am sorry that the young girl got hurt in this incident and I hope she fully recovers soon....HOWEVER please note that the dog here is not detailed as being a bull breed (hence the lack of comments)...it is stated that APPARENTLY the young girl asked the owners of the dog if she could stroke it, if she did ask then well done to the little girl....however the MOTHER states that she saw her little girl stroking the dog and turned away...ahem....she shouldn't have turned away at all and should have been supervising her child.....why oh why do people say dogs owners should be more responsible and always have sight of their dogs yet it is still ok for parents to occassionally look away from their children?[/p][/quote]There would be an awful lot more comments if, as you say, it was a Bull breed. The rabid BSL supporters would be out in force. As for 'Scrumpyjacks' name calling? Shouldn't drink then log onto comments section of the ECHO... always going to end up insulting people. stevobath
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree