When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
15 things that make you a Bournemouth-ite
Updated 4:58pm Friday 28th February 2014 in News
1. You were stuck in at least one traffic jam on the way to work this morning
2. You know who Gordon the Tramp is - and if you want to find out more, click here
5. You've tutted at boy racers' thumping music as they tear down Westover Road
7. You've made at least one joke about the surf reef
Picture thanks to Gary Ellson from Bournemouth Helicopters
8. You've enjoyed at least one Shakeaway milkshake
9. You complain about tourists every summer - even if it's just once
10. You went to the Westover Ice Rink
11. You miss the Shell House at Southbourne
12. Whenever you see Brighton on TV you scoff: “Beach? That's not a beach!”
13. You remember at least four previous names of Lava and Ignite/Circo and Elements/Zoo and the Cage/Clouds and Zigzags
14. You went to Bumbles, Maison Royale, Le Cardinal, Berlins, The Gardening Club, Voodoo Lounge, Bar Med, Bliss, Toko, Mr Smiths Piano Bar at least once
15. You remember when Castlepoint was The Hampshire Centre
Here are some of your suggestions for things that make you a true Bournemouth-ite – or Bournemouthian as someone has suggested.
- You went swimming at the BIC pool – complete with wave machine.
- You’ve had a night out at Grasshoppers nightclub and Madisons.
- You remember the roundabout in Bournemouth town centre.
- You stood to watch Bournemouth play.
- You remember the Pier Approach Baths - and the view across the bay when they were taken down.
- You remember the bus station.
- You’ve seen a concert at the Winter Gardens...or remember the Winter Gardens.
- You were born in Boscombe hospital.
- You went to Tucktonia.
- You saw the trolley buses replace the trams.
- You remember Fortes in Westover Road.
- Roller skating on Boscombe Pier in the 60s
- One for the younger ones - you went to 'Hot 'n' Horny at the Opera House on a Thursday night.
- The Littledown Tesco area being fields with cows and pigs
- You remember driving along Undercliff Drive between the two piers when a thoroughfare open to traffic
• You went to Hailey School
• Hampshire cricket played a festival week at Dean Park each August
• You remember when the paddling pool at Southbourne was open
- Cooper Dean was a pig farm
- You know where Westbourne Eye Hospital was
- You remember when Portchester School was in Portchester Road
- When AFC Bournemouth were called Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club
- You went to the Town Hall Disco
- You remember Woolworth and Plummers stores
- You enjoyed hot chocolate in Junipers café after ice skating
- You remember the wrestling on Monday nights at the Royal Ballrooms
- You climbed the “ladder pole” in Barn field Hengistbury Head
- You went to Stokewood Road Baths for school swimming classes
- You remember Boscombe before the Sovereign Centre
- You went to The Continental Cinema in Winton
- You went to the Aqua Show at Pier Aproach
- You remember when Concorde came to Bournemouth
Want to put forward a suggestion for our list?
Comments are closed on this article.