Councillor Judy Butt “deeply grateful” for kindness after sacking and pledges support for residents

Councillor Judy Butt “deeply grateful” for kindness after sacking and pledges support for residents

RESPONSE: Former cabinet member Judy Butt

COUNCIL LEADER: Cllr Elaine Atkinson

First published in News by

THE “humbling and touching” response from residents has assured the Poole councillor sacked from the cabinet that she was right to put them first.

Cllr Judy Butt said she had been overwhelmed by flowers and messages of support and was “deeply grateful” for the kindness and concern – and the support from her two ward colleagues.

The Creekmoor ward councillor, who was also a portfolio holder, was dismissed from the cabinet by council leader Cllr Elaine Atkinson after standing up for residents opposing a proposal for a summer traveller site in her ward at Marshes End.

Cllr Butt, who remains a ward councillor, said she wished to correct a misunderstanding regarding temporary stopping places.

She said the chairman of the Southern Poole Chairs Liaison Group, Terry Stewart, asked her last July to convene a meeting over gypsy and traveller problems. She sought advice from the chief executive and council leader and the meeting was held in October.

During the meeting portfolio holder Cllr Mike White explained “the possibility of a temporary stopping place was being investigated”, she said and five more suggestions came from the floor.

The meeting had no decision making powers and a paper from Cllr Butt to cabinet on November 5 enabled Cllr White to take suggestions forward.

“My engagement role rested there,” she said.

When the list of 90 potential sites, shortlisted to two at Creekmoor and Oakdale, were put forward she took her concerns to the council leader.

These included no capital costs, no public consultation, no democratic scrutiny in selecting sites and questionable safety of both sites.

“I truly believed this was my ‘collective responsibility’ to the people of Poole,” she said.

“I accept the leader’s opinion differed from mine on this single issue. It is her absolute right to dismiss me – at no time have I challenged her decision.

“However, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Using that strength, working with my trusted ward colleagues, I will support our residents in the pending planning application, for the benefit of all residents of Poole.”

Comments (44)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:33am Fri 21 Feb 14

caravan1 says...

Therefore Atkinson was deliberately misleading the electorate about cllr Butt's involvement, to make Judy the fall guy and maintain her own reputation. Atkinson's letter insinuated Judy was gung ho with the initiative until her own ward was involved. From the above this is a blatant manipulation of council minutes to protect her own position, after making a complete" horlicks" of cllr Butt's understandable positioning on this issue. For this alone cllr Atkinson should hang her head in shame and should seriously consider resigning.
No doubt should any Oakdale portfolio holders question this policy, or are organising questionaires, they will also be sacked forthwith?
Therefore Atkinson was deliberately misleading the electorate about cllr Butt's involvement, to make Judy the fall guy and maintain her own reputation. Atkinson's letter insinuated Judy was gung ho with the initiative until her own ward was involved. From the above this is a blatant manipulation of council minutes to protect her own position, after making a complete" horlicks" of cllr Butt's understandable positioning on this issue. For this alone cllr Atkinson should hang her head in shame and should seriously consider resigning. No doubt should any Oakdale portfolio holders question this policy, or are organising questionaires, they will also be sacked forthwith? caravan1
  • Score: 23

7:42am Fri 21 Feb 14

BIGTONE says...

For this alone cllr Atkinson should hang her head in shame and should seriously consider resigning.

She's doing What Dave and the posh boys do.
For this alone cllr Atkinson should hang her head in shame and should seriously consider resigning. She's doing What Dave and the posh boys do. BIGTONE
  • Score: 17

7:46am Fri 21 Feb 14

kalebmoledirt says...

"If you lay down with goats you get to smell like,a goat"defect to UKIP they need people with principles and credibility chances are going up against Our Glorious leader Jon il Atkinsons gang they will get a lot of votes.
"If you lay down with goats you get to smell like,a goat"defect to UKIP they need people with principles and credibility chances are going up against Our Glorious leader Jon il Atkinsons gang they will get a lot of votes. kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 7

8:05am Fri 21 Feb 14

Carolyn43 says...

Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers.
......
We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on.
.....
Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.
Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader. Carolyn43
  • Score: 22

8:16am Fri 21 Feb 14

caravan1 says...

the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on


Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?
the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them? caravan1
  • Score: 12

8:33am Fri 21 Feb 14

pete woodley says...

caravan1 wrote:
the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on


Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?
You are in direct contact with ALL the travellers are you ?
[quote][p][bold]caravan1[/bold] wrote: the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?[/p][/quote]You are in direct contact with ALL the travellers are you ? pete woodley
  • Score: -10

8:42am Fri 21 Feb 14

caravan1 says...

Obviously not.

But I daresay they are in contact with each other. Or have you not noticed what tends to happen at certain times of the year.

That aside I believe it was a traveller/gypsy spokesperson who originally furnished this little nugget.
Obviously not. But I daresay they are in contact with each other. Or have you not noticed what tends to happen at certain times of the year. That aside I believe it was a traveller/gypsy spokesperson who originally furnished this little nugget. caravan1
  • Score: 2

9:17am Fri 21 Feb 14

DorsetFerret says...

There's always another side to a story, now the record has been put straight councillor Atkinson may like to reflect on her actions.

What is clear is;-
- The travellers / gypsies don't want this site.
- Creekmoor residents and councillors don't want this site. (Nor do I believe do the majority of West Poole residents).
- The MP for Poole has put on record his objections to the choice of site.
- One third of the council voted against this location.

Surely it's time for Atkinson and her co-conspirator Eades to accept they made a mistake and resolve the matter before it gets even worse. A good starting point would be that of re-instating councillor Butt.
There's always another side to a story, now the record has been put straight councillor Atkinson may like to reflect on her actions. What is clear is;- - The travellers / gypsies don't want this site. - Creekmoor residents and councillors don't want this site. (Nor do I believe do the majority of West Poole residents). - The MP for Poole has put on record his objections to the choice of site. - One third of the council voted against this location. Surely it's time for Atkinson and her co-conspirator Eades to accept they made a mistake and resolve the matter before it gets even worse. A good starting point would be that of re-instating councillor Butt. DorsetFerret
  • Score: 19

11:18am Fri 21 Feb 14

muscliffman says...

A detail on this topic, could people please try to keep separate the traditional old (Romany type) Gypsies from these modern day 'travellers',

'Travellers' are the ones with their top of the range expensive 4X4's and huge chrome clad mobile homes who are causing all the current controversy.. The differences culturally and historically between the two lifestyles are substantial, the Romany gypsies whom we see or hear little of will usually leave their chosen camping sites tidier and cleaner than when they arrived, the other lot however......
A detail on this topic, could people please try to keep separate the traditional old (Romany type) Gypsies from these modern day 'travellers', 'Travellers' are the ones with their top of the range expensive 4X4's and huge chrome clad mobile homes who are causing all the current controversy.. The differences culturally and historically between the two lifestyles are substantial, the Romany gypsies whom we see or hear little of will usually leave their chosen camping sites tidier and cleaner than when they arrived, the other lot however...... muscliffman
  • Score: 12

12:42pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Dora77 says...

Carolyn43 wrote:
Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.
I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?
[quote][p][bold]Carolyn43[/bold] wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument? Dora77
  • Score: -5

1:03pm Fri 21 Feb 14

caravan1 says...

Dora77 wrote:
Carolyn43 wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.
I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?
Was not the park and ride a lib dem farrago, strongly opposed by cllr Butt.
I believe that finishes that argument.
[quote][p][bold]Dora77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carolyn43[/bold] wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?[/p][/quote]Was not the park and ride a lib dem farrago, strongly opposed by cllr Butt. I believe that finishes that argument. caravan1
  • Score: 5

2:09pm Fri 21 Feb 14

kalebmoledirt says...

muscliffman wrote:
A detail on this topic, could people please try to keep separate the traditional old (Romany type) Gypsies from these modern day 'travellers',

'Travellers' are the ones with their top of the range expensive 4X4's and huge chrome clad mobile homes who are causing all the current controversy.. The differences culturally and historically between the two lifestyles are substantial, the Romany gypsies whom we see or hear little of will usually leave their chosen camping sites tidier and cleaner than when they arrived, the other lot however......
Do I recall that Joe Jones from the Gypsey council was asked for his opinion on the traveller site.so who is it meant for Travellers of Gypsies?
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: A detail on this topic, could people please try to keep separate the traditional old (Romany type) Gypsies from these modern day 'travellers', 'Travellers' are the ones with their top of the range expensive 4X4's and huge chrome clad mobile homes who are causing all the current controversy.. The differences culturally and historically between the two lifestyles are substantial, the Romany gypsies whom we see or hear little of will usually leave their chosen camping sites tidier and cleaner than when they arrived, the other lot however......[/p][/quote]Do I recall that Joe Jones from the Gypsey council was asked for his opinion on the traveller site.so who is it meant for Travellers of Gypsies? kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 2

2:29pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Jeff in Parkstone says...

A clear account from Cllr Butt - her role in her portfolio "public engagement" - which led to the October engagement meeting.

The Cllr carried out her role and duties entirely correctly as per her portfolio.

And as a ward Cllr Cllr Butt then acted entirely in accord with Poole Constitution in representing the views of her constituents to Poole Council and cabinet.

As advocate (the prime role of a Cllr) I cannot see how she could have more wholly complied with her responbiltiies and how there could be any cause for removal from cabinet.

The constitution is clear - below - and against this in the role of cabinet Cllrs I do not see any requirement let alone a binding requirement to "collective responsibility" ?

Article 2 – Members of the Council

The role of the Councillor is enhanced by the new Political Structures introduced by the Local Government Act 2000. Members’ representational roles are stronger through the development of policy formulation processes feeding into the full Council ....

2.03 Roles and Functions of all Councillors

Councillors have a representational role and to act as a link and point of mediation between the Council and the community.

(a) Key roles. All Councillors will:

(ii) represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decision-making process, i.e. become the advocate of and for their communities;

(iii) deal with individual casework and act as an advocate fo constituents in resolving particular concerns or grievances. (ends)

In-so-far as there was conflict of interest that is no more than an expression of conflict of interests from one ward to another on this issue. Cllrs are then suppoed to work this all out internally - not dismiss one another from key positions ... ! ...

Jeff Williams
A clear account from Cllr Butt - her role in her portfolio "public engagement" - which led to the October engagement meeting. The Cllr carried out her role and duties entirely correctly as per her portfolio. And as a ward Cllr Cllr Butt then acted entirely in accord with Poole Constitution in representing the views of her constituents to Poole Council and cabinet. As advocate (the prime role of a Cllr) I cannot see how she could have more wholly complied with her responbiltiies and how there could be any cause for removal from cabinet. The constitution is clear - below - and against this in the role of cabinet Cllrs I do not see any requirement let alone a binding requirement to "collective responsibility" ? Article 2 – Members of the Council The role of the Councillor is enhanced by the new Political Structures introduced by the Local Government Act 2000. Members’ representational roles are stronger through the development of policy formulation processes feeding into the full Council .... 2.03 Roles and Functions of all Councillors Councillors have a representational role and to act as a link and point of mediation between the Council and the community. (a) Key roles. All Councillors will: (ii) represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decision-making process, i.e. become the advocate of and for their communities; (iii) deal with individual casework and act as an advocate fo constituents in resolving particular concerns or grievances. (ends) In-so-far as there was conflict of interest that is no more than an expression of conflict of interests from one ward to another on this issue. Cllrs are then suppoed to work this all out internally - not dismiss one another from key positions ... ! ... Jeff Williams Jeff in Parkstone
  • Score: 3

2:43pm Fri 21 Feb 14

ADST_2008 says...

There are some serious questions which I feel have still yet to be answered by those in the BOP who sit comfortably and very quite in the cabinet, I suspect a cover up as to who is really responsible and the reason for this outrageous treatment off councillor Mrs Butt.
There are some serious questions which I feel have still yet to be answered by those in the BOP who sit comfortably and very quite in the cabinet, I suspect a cover up as to who is really responsible and the reason for this outrageous treatment off councillor Mrs Butt. ADST_2008
  • Score: 9

3:12pm Fri 21 Feb 14

sea poole says...

If any of you ever witness the Tory group of cllrs queuing up to support whatever motion is put before council -most of whom haven't a clue what the motion is aout, it would either make you laugh with incredulity or cry with total frustration. Like lemmings...
Cllr Butt-quit this group of comedians whilst you've got a plausible excuse!
If any of you ever witness the Tory group of cllrs queuing up to support whatever motion is put before council -most of whom haven't a clue what the motion is aout, it would either make you laugh with incredulity or cry with total frustration. Like lemmings... Cllr Butt-quit this group of comedians whilst you've got a plausible excuse! sea poole
  • Score: 1

4:31pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Ebb Tide says...

sea poole wrote:
If any of you ever witness the Tory group of cllrs queuing up to support whatever motion is put before council -most of whom haven't a clue what the motion is aout, it would either make you laugh with incredulity or cry with total frustration. Like lemmings...
Cllr Butt-quit this group of comedians whilst you've got a plausible excuse!
No elector should vote for any person who supports the "lemming style" of management.. The herd mentality gets lemmings into a lot of bother, especially when panic is involved.

Consensus (or majority decisions) need all viewpoints to be heard and understood : even if they have to over-rule the wishes of some in the community in order to secure the 'common good'.

The idea that Cabinet decisions must be unanimous is unrealistic and undesirable : voices in Cabinet should be honest.

Perhaps Councillors that "'never bother to think for themselves at all" (to quote Mr Gilbert) should be asked to resign, since a few moments thought should inform each of them that they have been elected to think about what their electorate actually requires of them (after any necessary explanation of party policies, if any !) and to think of ways in which they (themselves) may represent that view in Council.
[quote][p][bold]sea poole[/bold] wrote: If any of you ever witness the Tory group of cllrs queuing up to support whatever motion is put before council -most of whom haven't a clue what the motion is aout, it would either make you laugh with incredulity or cry with total frustration. Like lemmings... Cllr Butt-quit this group of comedians whilst you've got a plausible excuse![/p][/quote]No elector should vote for any person who supports the "lemming style" of management.. The herd mentality gets lemmings into a lot of bother, especially when panic is involved. Consensus (or majority decisions) need all viewpoints to be heard and understood : even if they have to over-rule the wishes of some in the community in order to secure the 'common good'. The idea that Cabinet decisions must be unanimous is unrealistic and undesirable : voices in Cabinet should be honest. Perhaps Councillors that "'never bother to think for themselves at all" (to quote Mr Gilbert) should be asked to resign, since a few moments thought should inform each of them that they have been elected to think about what their electorate actually requires of them (after any necessary explanation of party policies, if any !) and to think of ways in which they (themselves) may represent that view in Council. Ebb Tide
  • Score: 1

4:39pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Ebb Tide says...

caravan1 wrote:
Dora77 wrote:
Carolyn43 wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.
I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?
Was not the park and ride a lib dem farrago, strongly opposed by cllr Butt.
I believe that finishes that argument.
But raises the thought that we must wean ourselves away from using cars
100% of the time.

Park and Ride facilities adjacent to one of the main roads into Poole should not be wasted for much longer and should be supplemented with others across our conurbation..
[quote][p][bold]caravan1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dora77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carolyn43[/bold] wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?[/p][/quote]Was not the park and ride a lib dem farrago, strongly opposed by cllr Butt. I believe that finishes that argument.[/p][/quote]But raises the thought that we must wean ourselves away from using cars 100% of the time. Park and Ride facilities adjacent to one of the main roads into Poole should not be wasted for much longer and should be supplemented with others across our conurbation.. Ebb Tide
  • Score: -1

4:49pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Ebb Tide says...

caravan1 wrote:
the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on


Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?
Hopefully it will not be used much, if at all. However its existence enhances the powers of the police and is consistent with the strategy defined by the laws passed by Parliament that should be changed but MPs in desirable locations (for travellers) are in a minority at Parliament, so guess we either comply or suffer.

The Council is to be congratulated for trying to ensure we suffer less this year - not more, as the word was getting around that Poole is a good place for travellers to search for a space to play "cat and mouse" with the 'authorities'.
[quote][p][bold]caravan1[/bold] wrote: the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?[/p][/quote]Hopefully it will not be used much, if at all. However its existence enhances the powers of the police and is consistent with the strategy defined by the laws passed by Parliament that should be changed but MPs in desirable locations (for travellers) are in a minority at Parliament, so guess we either comply or suffer. The Council is to be congratulated for trying to ensure we suffer less this year - not more, as the word was getting around that Poole is a good place for travellers to search for a space to play "cat and mouse" with the 'authorities'. Ebb Tide
  • Score: 3

5:53pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

Ebb Tide wrote:
caravan1 wrote:
the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on


Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?
Hopefully it will not be used much, if at all. However its existence enhances the powers of the police and is consistent with the strategy defined by the laws passed by Parliament that should be changed but MPs in desirable locations (for travellers) are in a minority at Parliament, so guess we either comply or suffer.

The Council is to be congratulated for trying to ensure we suffer less this year - not more, as the word was getting around that Poole is a good place for travellers to search for a space to play "cat and mouse" with the 'authorities'.
All these TWO transit sites will do is advertise the fact the Poole is a soft touch, once they are full the police will be back to square one anyway, so for me it is just another show of Poole Council wasting taxpayers money.

What residents and councillors alike should be doing is asking why our MP Robert Syms seems more concerned with debating in parliament so that Bournemouth can also send their traveler problems to use these sites in Poole, instead of debating to change the law so that travelers are not above the laws that taxpayers have to abide by.
[quote][p][bold]Ebb Tide[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]caravan1[/bold] wrote: the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?[/p][/quote]Hopefully it will not be used much, if at all. However its existence enhances the powers of the police and is consistent with the strategy defined by the laws passed by Parliament that should be changed but MPs in desirable locations (for travellers) are in a minority at Parliament, so guess we either comply or suffer. The Council is to be congratulated for trying to ensure we suffer less this year - not more, as the word was getting around that Poole is a good place for travellers to search for a space to play "cat and mouse" with the 'authorities'.[/p][/quote]All these TWO transit sites will do is advertise the fact the Poole is a soft touch, once they are full the police will be back to square one anyway, so for me it is just another show of Poole Council wasting taxpayers money. What residents and councillors alike should be doing is asking why our MP Robert Syms seems more concerned with debating in parliament so that Bournemouth can also send their traveler problems to use these sites in Poole, instead of debating to change the law so that travelers are not above the laws that taxpayers have to abide by. Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: 1

6:10pm Fri 21 Feb 14

cromwell9 says...

Ebb Tide wrote:
caravan1 wrote:
the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on


Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?
Hopefully it will not be used much, if at all. However its existence enhances the powers of the police and is consistent with the strategy defined by the laws passed by Parliament that should be changed but MPs in desirable locations (for travellers) are in a minority at Parliament, so guess we either comply or suffer.

The Council is to be congratulated for trying to ensure we suffer less this year - not more, as the word was getting around that Poole is a good place for travellers to search for a space to play "cat and mouse" with the 'authorities'.
What you have wrote would of bean excepted by the residents,If trespassing on Private land was made a criminal offence.
But there is no such law .The Lib Dems+ Labour opposed it .
Look at Dale Farm in Essex, 10 yrs they where on that sight ilegaly,
Labour did nothing to move them off,
It took the Conservative to sort it out.and it cost the tax payers 11 million,
They will all turn up here again in the summer plying their trade,etc,
Parking in the street using a lamp post for free electricity.
Judy Butt stuck to her principles,You got to respect that
[quote][p][bold]Ebb Tide[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]caravan1[/bold] wrote: the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?[/p][/quote]Hopefully it will not be used much, if at all. However its existence enhances the powers of the police and is consistent with the strategy defined by the laws passed by Parliament that should be changed but MPs in desirable locations (for travellers) are in a minority at Parliament, so guess we either comply or suffer. The Council is to be congratulated for trying to ensure we suffer less this year - not more, as the word was getting around that Poole is a good place for travellers to search for a space to play "cat and mouse" with the 'authorities'.[/p][/quote]What you have wrote would of bean excepted by the residents,If trespassing on Private land was made a criminal offence. But there is no such law .The Lib Dems+ Labour opposed it . Look at Dale Farm in Essex, 10 yrs they where on that sight ilegaly, Labour did nothing to move them off, It took the Conservative to sort it out.and it cost the tax payers 11 million, They will all turn up here again in the summer plying their trade,etc, Parking in the street using a lamp post for free electricity. Judy Butt stuck to her principles,You got to respect that cromwell9
  • Score: -2

6:17pm Fri 21 Feb 14

cromwell9 says...

Jeff in Parkstone wrote:
A clear account from Cllr Butt - her role in her portfolio "public engagement" - which led to the October engagement meeting.

The Cllr carried out her role and duties entirely correctly as per her portfolio.

And as a ward Cllr Cllr Butt then acted entirely in accord with Poole Constitution in representing the views of her constituents to Poole Council and cabinet.

As advocate (the prime role of a Cllr) I cannot see how she could have more wholly complied with her responbiltiies and how there could be any cause for removal from cabinet.

The constitution is clear - below - and against this in the role of cabinet Cllrs I do not see any requirement let alone a binding requirement to "collective responsibility" ?

Article 2 – Members of the Council

The role of the Councillor is enhanced by the new Political Structures introduced by the Local Government Act 2000. Members’ representational roles are stronger through the development of policy formulation processes feeding into the full Council ....

2.03 Roles and Functions of all Councillors

Councillors have a representational role and to act as a link and point of mediation between the Council and the community.

(a) Key roles. All Councillors will:

(ii) represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decision-making process, i.e. become the advocate of and for their communities;

(iii) deal with individual casework and act as an advocate fo constituents in resolving particular concerns or grievances. (ends)

In-so-far as there was conflict of interest that is no more than an expression of conflict of interests from one ward to another on this issue. Cllrs are then suppoed to work this all out internally - not dismiss one another from key positions ... ! ...

Jeff Williams
Cllrs should have a free vote ,on any proposal without the whip.
[quote][p][bold]Jeff in Parkstone[/bold] wrote: A clear account from Cllr Butt - her role in her portfolio "public engagement" - which led to the October engagement meeting. The Cllr carried out her role and duties entirely correctly as per her portfolio. And as a ward Cllr Cllr Butt then acted entirely in accord with Poole Constitution in representing the views of her constituents to Poole Council and cabinet. As advocate (the prime role of a Cllr) I cannot see how she could have more wholly complied with her responbiltiies and how there could be any cause for removal from cabinet. The constitution is clear - below - and against this in the role of cabinet Cllrs I do not see any requirement let alone a binding requirement to "collective responsibility" ? Article 2 – Members of the Council The role of the Councillor is enhanced by the new Political Structures introduced by the Local Government Act 2000. Members’ representational roles are stronger through the development of policy formulation processes feeding into the full Council .... 2.03 Roles and Functions of all Councillors Councillors have a representational role and to act as a link and point of mediation between the Council and the community. (a) Key roles. All Councillors will: (ii) represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decision-making process, i.e. become the advocate of and for their communities; (iii) deal with individual casework and act as an advocate fo constituents in resolving particular concerns or grievances. (ends) In-so-far as there was conflict of interest that is no more than an expression of conflict of interests from one ward to another on this issue. Cllrs are then suppoed to work this all out internally - not dismiss one another from key positions ... ! ... Jeff Williams[/p][/quote]Cllrs should have a free vote ,on any proposal without the whip. cromwell9
  • Score: -1

6:21pm Fri 21 Feb 14

cromwell9 says...

Nothing more deadly tha a women scorned.
Nothing more deadly tha a women scorned. cromwell9
  • Score: -1

6:45pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Hobad1 says...

That second photo.....what is it ?
That second photo.....what is it ? Hobad1
  • Score: -1

6:50pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Carolyn43 says...

caravan1 wrote:
Dora77 wrote:
Carolyn43 wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.
I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?
Was not the park and ride a lib dem farrago, strongly opposed by cllr Butt.
I believe that finishes that argument.
The Park and Ride planning took place in 1998. Judy Butt wasn't elected until1999. To use your words "I believe that finishes that argument".
[quote][p][bold]caravan1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dora77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carolyn43[/bold] wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?[/p][/quote]Was not the park and ride a lib dem farrago, strongly opposed by cllr Butt. I believe that finishes that argument.[/p][/quote]The Park and Ride planning took place in 1998. Judy Butt wasn't elected until1999. To use your words "I believe that finishes that argument". Carolyn43
  • Score: -1

7:05pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Carolyn43 says...

Ebb Tide wrote:
caravan1 wrote:
Dora77 wrote:
Carolyn43 wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.
I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?
Was not the park and ride a lib dem farrago, strongly opposed by cllr Butt.
I believe that finishes that argument.
But raises the thought that we must wean ourselves away from using cars
100% of the time.

Park and Ride facilities adjacent to one of the main roads into Poole should not be wasted for much longer and should be supplemented with others across our conurbation..
Apologies to Dora77 - it wasn't you who said it finishes the argument. You asked "Where does that leave your argument?" Think the fact that Judy Butt wasn't elected until 1999 leaves my argument in tact. It was a LibDem project (I believe Clements, but could be wrong) and Judy is a Conservative.
.....
At the time we'd just moved here from another town that had a disastrous Park and Ride scheme, but were told we didn't know what we were talking about and this one would work. Course it did.
...
Pete Woodley, it was the leader of the Gypsy Council who has said they won't use it. Some of us research what we say instead of just quoting the biases that are in our own heads.
.......
The only lemmings are the LibDems - they ALL voted in favour following the instructions of their leader. The conservatives were split. The Poole Peoples' Party against. Most people realise that it will solve nothing - travellers will just park up on private land instead of council land.
[quote][p][bold]Ebb Tide[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]caravan1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dora77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carolyn43[/bold] wrote: Eades will shortly being replaced as mayor. Atkinson will have to resign either when the planning application is refused or, if the Creekmoor site goes ahead, when travellers don't use it but park up on private land, and we're landed with another white elephant alongside the park and ride. A total waste of council tax payers money when she admits there are funding shortfalls for services, but has pushed hard .for this totally unsuitable site to be used by travellers. ...... We're stuck with the park and ride white elephant because government funding was used for for it - just let nature take it over again and return it to the green field it used to be when the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on. ..... Atkinson should also resign for misleading residents about Judy Butt's role in investigating possible gypsy and travellers sites, trying to make Judy the rebel and herself whiter and white. We want an honest leader.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure the park and ride was Butt's baby - so where does that leave your argument?[/p][/quote]Was not the park and ride a lib dem farrago, strongly opposed by cllr Butt. I believe that finishes that argument.[/p][/quote]But raises the thought that we must wean ourselves away from using cars 100% of the time. Park and Ride facilities adjacent to one of the main roads into Poole should not be wasted for much longer and should be supplemented with others across our conurbation..[/p][/quote]Apologies to Dora77 - it wasn't you who said it finishes the argument. You asked "Where does that leave your argument?" Think the fact that Judy Butt wasn't elected until 1999 leaves my argument in tact. It was a LibDem project (I believe Clements, but could be wrong) and Judy is a Conservative. ..... At the time we'd just moved here from another town that had a disastrous Park and Ride scheme, but were told we didn't know what we were talking about and this one would work. Course it did. ... Pete Woodley, it was the leader of the Gypsy Council who has said they won't use it. Some of us research what we say instead of just quoting the biases that are in our own heads. ....... The only lemmings are the LibDems - they ALL voted in favour following the instructions of their leader. The conservatives were split. The Poole Peoples' Party against. Most people realise that it will solve nothing - travellers will just park up on private land instead of council land. Carolyn43
  • Score: 0

7:32pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Carolyn43 says...

Jeff in Parkstone wrote:
A clear account from Cllr Butt - her role in her portfolio "public engagement" - which led to the October engagement meeting.

The Cllr carried out her role and duties entirely correctly as per her portfolio.

And as a ward Cllr Cllr Butt then acted entirely in accord with Poole Constitution in representing the views of her constituents to Poole Council and cabinet.

As advocate (the prime role of a Cllr) I cannot see how she could have more wholly complied with her responbiltiies and how there could be any cause for removal from cabinet.

The constitution is clear - below - and against this in the role of cabinet Cllrs I do not see any requirement let alone a binding requirement to "collective responsibility" ?

Article 2 – Members of the Council

The role of the Councillor is enhanced by the new Political Structures introduced by the Local Government Act 2000. Members’ representational roles are stronger through the development of policy formulation processes feeding into the full Council ....

2.03 Roles and Functions of all Councillors

Councillors have a representational role and to act as a link and point of mediation between the Council and the community.

(a) Key roles. All Councillors will:

(ii) represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decision-making process, i.e. become the advocate of and for their communities;

(iii) deal with individual casework and act as an advocate fo constituents in resolving particular concerns or grievances. (ends)

In-so-far as there was conflict of interest that is no more than an expression of conflict of interests from one ward to another on this issue. Cllrs are then suppoed to work this all out internally - not dismiss one another from key positions ... ! ...

Jeff Williams
Clearly the Black Queen needs to be reminded of the Council's Constitution and reinstate Judy Butt , who was sacked for doing her duty according to that Constitution.
[quote][p][bold]Jeff in Parkstone[/bold] wrote: A clear account from Cllr Butt - her role in her portfolio "public engagement" - which led to the October engagement meeting. The Cllr carried out her role and duties entirely correctly as per her portfolio. And as a ward Cllr Cllr Butt then acted entirely in accord with Poole Constitution in representing the views of her constituents to Poole Council and cabinet. As advocate (the prime role of a Cllr) I cannot see how she could have more wholly complied with her responbiltiies and how there could be any cause for removal from cabinet. The constitution is clear - below - and against this in the role of cabinet Cllrs I do not see any requirement let alone a binding requirement to "collective responsibility" ? Article 2 – Members of the Council The role of the Councillor is enhanced by the new Political Structures introduced by the Local Government Act 2000. Members’ representational roles are stronger through the development of policy formulation processes feeding into the full Council .... 2.03 Roles and Functions of all Councillors Councillors have a representational role and to act as a link and point of mediation between the Council and the community. (a) Key roles. All Councillors will: (ii) represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decision-making process, i.e. become the advocate of and for their communities; (iii) deal with individual casework and act as an advocate fo constituents in resolving particular concerns or grievances. (ends) In-so-far as there was conflict of interest that is no more than an expression of conflict of interests from one ward to another on this issue. Cllrs are then suppoed to work this all out internally - not dismiss one another from key positions ... ! ... Jeff Williams[/p][/quote]Clearly the Black Queen needs to be reminded of the Council's Constitution and reinstate Judy Butt , who was sacked for doing her duty according to that Constitution. Carolyn43
  • Score: 0

7:51pm Fri 21 Feb 14

kalebmoledirt says...

Hobad1 wrote:
That second photo.....what is it ?
A promotional photo when she was a pro darts player
[quote][p][bold]Hobad1[/bold] wrote: That second photo.....what is it ?[/p][/quote]A promotional photo when she was a pro darts player kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Fri 21 Feb 14

pete woodley says...

The "leader" of the gypsy council does not speak for the travellers from all over the place.That is so obvious.
The "leader" of the gypsy council does not speak for the travellers from all over the place.That is so obvious. pete woodley
  • Score: 0

9:33pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Carolyn43 says...

pete woodley wrote:
The "leader" of the gypsy council does not speak for the travellers from all over the place.That is so obvious.
It was actually two people - the leader of the Gypsy Council and a representative of the travellers.
.....
They have a very efficient communication system. Why do you think so many end up in this area? The internet's a wonderful thing, Pete. You should try it.
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: The "leader" of the gypsy council does not speak for the travellers from all over the place.That is so obvious.[/p][/quote]It was actually two people - the leader of the Gypsy Council and a representative of the travellers. ..... They have a very efficient communication system. Why do you think so many end up in this area? The internet's a wonderful thing, Pete. You should try it. Carolyn43
  • Score: 0

11:18pm Fri 21 Feb 14

cyberbob45 says...

After reading this article I feel that what I have written must be read carefully !!

What a wonderful dignity Cllr Judy Butt shows in her graceful acceptance of the gross error of judgement by Cllr Atkinson.Cllr Judy Butt I am proud you are a Poole Councillor, Cllr Elaine Atkinson you are a disgrace if you had half the integrity that Judy has you would resign immediately, your trumped up charges against her are pathetic !
After reading this article I feel that what I have written must be read carefully !! What a wonderful dignity Cllr Judy Butt shows in her graceful acceptance of the gross error of judgement by Cllr Atkinson.Cllr Judy Butt I am proud you are a Poole Councillor, Cllr Elaine Atkinson you are a disgrace if you had half the integrity that Judy has you would resign immediately, your trumped up charges against her are pathetic ! cyberbob45
  • Score: 3

5:14am Sat 22 Feb 14

Mad Karew says...

cyberbob45 wrote:
After reading this article I feel that what I have written must be read carefully !!

What a wonderful dignity Cllr Judy Butt shows in her graceful acceptance of the gross error of judgement by Cllr Atkinson.Cllr Judy Butt I am proud you are a Poole Councillor, Cllr Elaine Atkinson you are a disgrace if you had half the integrity that Judy has you would resign immediately, your trumped up charges against her are pathetic !
The Black Queen has proved a great disappointment after a hopeful start, reverting to the same dictatorial methods and insecurities she learned from her predecessor, and this will lead to her inevitable downfall. These cannot be tolerated in this modern age of Localism.

By contrast, Cllr Butt has shown immense diplomacy, leadership, patience and understanding, and she will be welcome when she finally succeeds to Leader of Poole Council. I believe that under her leadership we could see a Council which truly has the best interests of the people at heart.
[quote][p][bold]cyberbob45[/bold] wrote: After reading this article I feel that what I have written must be read carefully !! What a wonderful dignity Cllr Judy Butt shows in her graceful acceptance of the gross error of judgement by Cllr Atkinson.Cllr Judy Butt I am proud you are a Poole Councillor, Cllr Elaine Atkinson you are a disgrace if you had half the integrity that Judy has you would resign immediately, your trumped up charges against her are pathetic ![/p][/quote]The Black Queen has proved a great disappointment after a hopeful start, reverting to the same dictatorial methods and insecurities she learned from her predecessor, and this will lead to her inevitable downfall. These cannot be tolerated in this modern age of Localism. By contrast, Cllr Butt has shown immense diplomacy, leadership, patience and understanding, and she will be welcome when she finally succeeds to Leader of Poole Council. I believe that under her leadership we could see a Council which truly has the best interests of the people at heart. Mad Karew
  • Score: 3

9:00am Sat 22 Feb 14

ADST_2008 says...

With a politically motivated Mayor (Liberal) and the black queen in charge, no wonder there in bits.
With a politically motivated Mayor (Liberal) and the black queen in charge, no wonder there in bits. ADST_2008
  • Score: 2

10:23am Sat 22 Feb 14

DorsetFerret says...

Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.
Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space. DorsetFerret
  • Score: 4

11:14am Sat 22 Feb 14

ADST_2008 says...

DorsetFerret wrote:
Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.
The only head that needs banging is Elaine Atkinson,s......
[quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.[/p][/quote]The only head that needs banging is Elaine Atkinson,s...... ADST_2008
  • Score: 0

12:28pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Mad Karew says...

DorsetFerret wrote:
Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.
This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............
[quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.[/p][/quote]This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............ Mad Karew
  • Score: 0

12:36pm Sat 22 Feb 14

ADST_2008 says...

Mad Karew wrote:
DorsetFerret wrote: Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.
This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............
Thank you Mad Karew, the plot thickens !
[quote][p][bold]Mad Karew[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.[/p][/quote]This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............[/p][/quote]Thank you Mad Karew, the plot thickens ! ADST_2008
  • Score: 0

1:40pm Sat 22 Feb 14

DorsetFerret says...

Mad Karew wrote:
DorsetFerret wrote:
Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.
This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............
I can accept this but I find it hard to believe the matter wouldn't have been dicussed by those present.
I also accept that councillor But has behaved with dignaty and constraint in public over this matter.

You might like to check todays readers letters for another explanation from councillor Atkinson.

Interesting how Mr Mayor seems to have gone to ground since creating this debate.
[quote][p][bold]Mad Karew[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.[/p][/quote]This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............[/p][/quote]I can accept this but I find it hard to believe the matter wouldn't have been dicussed by those present. I also accept that councillor But has behaved with dignaty and constraint in public over this matter. You might like to check todays readers letters for another explanation from councillor Atkinson. Interesting how Mr Mayor seems to have gone to ground since creating this debate. DorsetFerret
  • Score: 1

6:59pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Carolyn43 says...

DorsetFerret wrote:
Mad Karew wrote:
DorsetFerret wrote:
Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.
This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............
I can accept this but I find it hard to believe the matter wouldn't have been dicussed by those present.
I also accept that councillor But has behaved with dignaty and constraint in public over this matter.

You might like to check todays readers letters for another explanation from councillor Atkinson.

Interesting how Mr Mayor seems to have gone to ground since creating this debate.
I don't know how anyone could think that Atkinson had sacked Judy Butt as a councillor - surely everyone knows that councillors and MPs are elected and can only be replaced by someone else being elected. They can be ousted from their party but then carry on as an independent.
..........
Atkinson is desperately trying to justify sacking Judy Butt from the cabinet and I suspect that Mr Mayor is keeping his head down so as not to be tarred with the same brush as Atkinson. Perhaps he has ambitions to replace Atkinson as Council Leader. Has he deliberately started the furore over the travellers' site for a reason?

Judy received many tributes and flowers following her sacking. How many messages of support and flowers has Atkinson received for sacking her?

As has been said there are double standards. Judy completed the job she was asked to do in getting various agencies to consider the subject of travellers' site, but was kept in the dark until three days before the council meeting that Creekmoor was a chosen site. Now she's been sacked, while other cabinet members are still in post even though they are also supporting their residents. Wonder what excuse Atkinson will use to try to explain that.
[quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mad Karew[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.[/p][/quote]This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............[/p][/quote]I can accept this but I find it hard to believe the matter wouldn't have been dicussed by those present. I also accept that councillor But has behaved with dignaty and constraint in public over this matter. You might like to check todays readers letters for another explanation from councillor Atkinson. Interesting how Mr Mayor seems to have gone to ground since creating this debate.[/p][/quote]I don't know how anyone could think that Atkinson had sacked Judy Butt as a councillor - surely everyone knows that councillors and MPs are elected and can only be replaced by someone else being elected. They can be ousted from their party but then carry on as an independent. .......... Atkinson is desperately trying to justify sacking Judy Butt from the cabinet and I suspect that Mr Mayor is keeping his head down so as not to be tarred with the same brush as Atkinson. Perhaps he has ambitions to replace Atkinson as Council Leader. Has he deliberately started the furore over the travellers' site for a reason? Judy received many tributes and flowers following her sacking. How many messages of support and flowers has Atkinson received for sacking her? As has been said there are double standards. Judy completed the job she was asked to do in getting various agencies to consider the subject of travellers' site, but was kept in the dark until three days before the council meeting that Creekmoor was a chosen site. Now she's been sacked, while other cabinet members are still in post even though they are also supporting their residents. Wonder what excuse Atkinson will use to try to explain that. Carolyn43
  • Score: 0

10:41am Sun 23 Feb 14

Ebb Tide says...

Carolyn43 wrote:
DorsetFerret wrote:
Mad Karew wrote:
DorsetFerret wrote:
Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.
This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............
I can accept this but I find it hard to believe the matter wouldn't have been dicussed by those present.
I also accept that councillor But has behaved with dignaty and constraint in public over this matter.

You might like to check todays readers letters for another explanation from councillor Atkinson.

Interesting how Mr Mayor seems to have gone to ground since creating this debate.
I don't know how anyone could think that Atkinson had sacked Judy Butt as a councillor - surely everyone knows that councillors and MPs are elected and can only be replaced by someone else being elected. They can be ousted from their party but then carry on as an independent.
..........
Atkinson is desperately trying to justify sacking Judy Butt from the cabinet and I suspect that Mr Mayor is keeping his head down so as not to be tarred with the same brush as Atkinson. Perhaps he has ambitions to replace Atkinson as Council Leader. Has he deliberately started the furore over the travellers' site for a reason?

Judy received many tributes and flowers following her sacking. How many messages of support and flowers has Atkinson received for sacking her?

As has been said there are double standards. Judy completed the job she was asked to do in getting various agencies to consider the subject of travellers' site, but was kept in the dark until three days before the council meeting that Creekmoor was a chosen site. Now she's been sacked, while other cabinet members are still in post even though they are also supporting their residents. Wonder what excuse Atkinson will use to try to explain that.
Mr Mayor, as you describe him, must have only had one reason : "to ensure that the dilly dallying over decision making in Poole should stop". It had become obvious that our MPs were powerless to change UK law (being unable to convince the majority of MPs in less attractive constituencies) and that the people living in Poole were getting increasingly restive over the sporadic unauthorized encampments occurring across the Borough simply because Council did not 'grasp the nettle' and make any decision and thus reduced the powers of the police.

Mr Mayor, as our first citizen, has said, in effect, the Borough has had enough of these encampment and must comply with the law since our MPs have not yet managed to get it changed. He has appreciated that the problem / challenge will not go away and a difficult decision must be taken to prevent trouble for his successor in the summer of 2014.

Previous Mayors have not taken such an enlightened and helpful stance to deal with an awkward (for us) law.

It would have been good if someone had offered a site but since it appears that nobody is prepared to do so then our Council must use due process and decide how best to minimise civil unrest and comply with the law - hopefully gaining enhanced and focussed police attention on suspicious characters for all ensuing summers.
[quote][p][bold]Carolyn43[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mad Karew[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at Poole Harbour Commissioners yesterday when councillors Atkinson and Butt got together for a huddle with Robert Syms MP. Picture the scene. "Now then children"! Or perhaps just a good old fashion head banging session. Watch this space.[/p][/quote]This was just another misrepresentation on Twitter by the Black Queen - Cllr Butt had no reason to attend and wasn't there. Maybe the Black Queen has other matters on her mind............[/p][/quote]I can accept this but I find it hard to believe the matter wouldn't have been dicussed by those present. I also accept that councillor But has behaved with dignaty and constraint in public over this matter. You might like to check todays readers letters for another explanation from councillor Atkinson. Interesting how Mr Mayor seems to have gone to ground since creating this debate.[/p][/quote]I don't know how anyone could think that Atkinson had sacked Judy Butt as a councillor - surely everyone knows that councillors and MPs are elected and can only be replaced by someone else being elected. They can be ousted from their party but then carry on as an independent. .......... Atkinson is desperately trying to justify sacking Judy Butt from the cabinet and I suspect that Mr Mayor is keeping his head down so as not to be tarred with the same brush as Atkinson. Perhaps he has ambitions to replace Atkinson as Council Leader. Has he deliberately started the furore over the travellers' site for a reason? Judy received many tributes and flowers following her sacking. How many messages of support and flowers has Atkinson received for sacking her? As has been said there are double standards. Judy completed the job she was asked to do in getting various agencies to consider the subject of travellers' site, but was kept in the dark until three days before the council meeting that Creekmoor was a chosen site. Now she's been sacked, while other cabinet members are still in post even though they are also supporting their residents. Wonder what excuse Atkinson will use to try to explain that.[/p][/quote]Mr Mayor, as you describe him, must have only had one reason : "to ensure that the dilly dallying over decision making in Poole should stop". It had become obvious that our MPs were powerless to change UK law (being unable to convince the majority of MPs in less attractive constituencies) and that the people living in Poole were getting increasingly restive over the sporadic unauthorized encampments occurring across the Borough simply because Council did not 'grasp the nettle' and make any decision and thus reduced the powers of the police. Mr Mayor, as our first citizen, has said, in effect, the Borough has had enough of these encampment and must comply with the law since our MPs have not yet managed to get it changed. He has appreciated that the problem / challenge will not go away and a difficult decision must be taken to prevent trouble for his successor in the summer of 2014. Previous Mayors have not taken such an enlightened and helpful stance to deal with an awkward (for us) law. It would have been good if someone had offered a site but since it appears that nobody is prepared to do so then our Council must use due process and decide how best to minimise civil unrest and comply with the law - hopefully gaining enhanced and focussed police attention on suspicious characters for all ensuing summers. Ebb Tide
  • Score: -2

11:22am Sun 23 Feb 14

DorsetFerret says...

Ebb Tide. No sir, Mr Mayor motivation had little to do with 'dilly dallying' much more to do with self preservation. Why else would he have ignored the findings of an expensive consultancy document which identified his own ward as a preferred choice. The reason Creekmoor residents are up in arms over this matter is because of the underhand way it was engineered and the proposal to locate it in Creekmoor led by Mr Mayor himself and his co conspirator Councillor Atkinson..
Ebb Tide. No sir, Mr Mayor motivation had little to do with 'dilly dallying' much more to do with self preservation. Why else would he have ignored the findings of an expensive consultancy document which identified his own ward as a preferred choice. The reason Creekmoor residents are up in arms over this matter is because of the underhand way it was engineered and the proposal to locate it in Creekmoor led by Mr Mayor himself and his co conspirator Councillor Atkinson.. DorsetFerret
  • Score: 5

11:49am Sun 23 Feb 14

Ebb Tide says...

DorsetFerret wrote:
Ebb Tide. No sir, Mr Mayor motivation had little to do with 'dilly dallying' much more to do with self preservation. Why else would he have ignored the findings of an expensive consultancy document which identified his own ward as a preferred choice. The reason Creekmoor residents are up in arms over this matter is because of the underhand way it was engineered and the proposal to locate it in Creekmoor led by Mr Mayor himself and his co conspirator Councillor Atkinson..
No doubt such an issue will be reviewed at the 9.15 am (!!) public meeting to be held at the Lighthouse on the 25th March.

Where can one examine the expensive consultancy document to which you refer. It would be good to know what the Council (as a whole) thinks of that report - are their thoughts recorded in the minutes of a known meeting ?

Whilst results from the above are awaited, I will trust that a Poole Mayor has acted as our 'first citizen' should, to avoid widespread and sporadic unrest across the Borough : an action which has been shirked by so many for so long.
[quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: Ebb Tide. No sir, Mr Mayor motivation had little to do with 'dilly dallying' much more to do with self preservation. Why else would he have ignored the findings of an expensive consultancy document which identified his own ward as a preferred choice. The reason Creekmoor residents are up in arms over this matter is because of the underhand way it was engineered and the proposal to locate it in Creekmoor led by Mr Mayor himself and his co conspirator Councillor Atkinson..[/p][/quote]No doubt such an issue will be reviewed at the 9.15 am (!!) public meeting to be held at the Lighthouse on the 25th March. Where can one examine the expensive consultancy document to which you refer. It would be good to know what the Council (as a whole) thinks of that report - are their thoughts recorded in the minutes of a known meeting ? Whilst results from the above are awaited, I will trust that a Poole Mayor has acted as our 'first citizen' should, to avoid widespread and sporadic unrest across the Borough : an action which has been shirked by so many for so long. Ebb Tide
  • Score: 1

12:04pm Sun 23 Feb 14

portia6 says...

Born under a wandering star la la la!
Born under a wandering star la la la! portia6
  • Score: -3

12:05pm Sun 23 Feb 14

DorsetFerret says...

Ebb Tide wrote:
DorsetFerret wrote:
Ebb Tide. No sir, Mr Mayor motivation had little to do with 'dilly dallying' much more to do with self preservation. Why else would he have ignored the findings of an expensive consultancy document which identified his own ward as a preferred choice. The reason Creekmoor residents are up in arms over this matter is because of the underhand way it was engineered and the proposal to locate it in Creekmoor led by Mr Mayor himself and his co conspirator Councillor Atkinson..
No doubt such an issue will be reviewed at the 9.15 am (!!) public meeting to be held at the Lighthouse on the 25th March.

Where can one examine the expensive consultancy document to which you refer. It would be good to know what the Council (as a whole) thinks of that report - are their thoughts recorded in the minutes of a known meeting ?

Whilst results from the above are awaited, I will trust that a Poole Mayor has acted as our 'first citizen' should, to avoid widespread and sporadic unrest across the Borough : an action which has been shirked by so many for so long.
Visit BoP website and run a search on Travellers consultancy reports, there are three documents. The meeting at which Mr Mayor put forward Creekmoor was around early - mid Feb. and should be in the minutes.
[quote][p][bold]Ebb Tide[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DorsetFerret[/bold] wrote: Ebb Tide. No sir, Mr Mayor motivation had little to do with 'dilly dallying' much more to do with self preservation. Why else would he have ignored the findings of an expensive consultancy document which identified his own ward as a preferred choice. The reason Creekmoor residents are up in arms over this matter is because of the underhand way it was engineered and the proposal to locate it in Creekmoor led by Mr Mayor himself and his co conspirator Councillor Atkinson..[/p][/quote]No doubt such an issue will be reviewed at the 9.15 am (!!) public meeting to be held at the Lighthouse on the 25th March. Where can one examine the expensive consultancy document to which you refer. It would be good to know what the Council (as a whole) thinks of that report - are their thoughts recorded in the minutes of a known meeting ? Whilst results from the above are awaited, I will trust that a Poole Mayor has acted as our 'first citizen' should, to avoid widespread and sporadic unrest across the Borough : an action which has been shirked by so many for so long.[/p][/quote]Visit BoP website and run a search on Travellers consultancy reports, there are three documents. The meeting at which Mr Mayor put forward Creekmoor was around early - mid Feb. and should be in the minutes. DorsetFerret
  • Score: 4

6:18pm Sun 23 Feb 14

mimi55 says...

Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
Ebb Tide wrote:
caravan1 wrote:
the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on


Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?
Hopefully it will not be used much, if at all. However its existence enhances the powers of the police and is consistent with the strategy defined by the laws passed by Parliament that should be changed but MPs in desirable locations (for travellers) are in a minority at Parliament, so guess we either comply or suffer.

The Council is to be congratulated for trying to ensure we suffer less this year - not more, as the word was getting around that Poole is a good place for travellers to search for a space to play "cat and mouse" with the 'authorities'.
All these TWO transit sites will do is advertise the fact the Poole is a soft touch, once they are full the police will be back to square one anyway, so for me it is just another show of Poole Council wasting taxpayers money.

What residents and councillors alike should be doing is asking why our MP Robert Syms seems more concerned with debating in parliament so that Bournemouth can also send their traveler problems to use these sites in Poole, instead of debating to change the law so that travelers are not above the laws that taxpayers have to abide by.
Absolutely agree, an MP should be supporting his constituents.
[quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ebb Tide[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]caravan1[/bold] wrote: the Marshes End site was considered too contaminated for people to park their cars on, but is now miraculously suitable for people to live on Indeed the travellers have already made there position clear that they have no intention of using this contaminated site. Who can blame them?[/p][/quote]Hopefully it will not be used much, if at all. However its existence enhances the powers of the police and is consistent with the strategy defined by the laws passed by Parliament that should be changed but MPs in desirable locations (for travellers) are in a minority at Parliament, so guess we either comply or suffer. The Council is to be congratulated for trying to ensure we suffer less this year - not more, as the word was getting around that Poole is a good place for travellers to search for a space to play "cat and mouse" with the 'authorities'.[/p][/quote]All these TWO transit sites will do is advertise the fact the Poole is a soft touch, once they are full the police will be back to square one anyway, so for me it is just another show of Poole Council wasting taxpayers money. What residents and councillors alike should be doing is asking why our MP Robert Syms seems more concerned with debating in parliament so that Bournemouth can also send their traveler problems to use these sites in Poole, instead of debating to change the law so that travelers are not above the laws that taxpayers have to abide by.[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree, an MP should be supporting his constituents. mimi55
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree