Volunteers urged by Bournemouth neighbourhood watch to help reduce speeding

GUNNING FOR SPEEDING MOTORISTS: Volunteers carrying out speed checks

GUNNING FOR SPEEDING MOTORISTS: Volunteers carrying out speed checks

First published in News by

VOLUNTEERS are being urged by a neighbourhood watch group to help reduce speeding.

The Poole Hill Neighbourhood Watch Group in Bournemouth is calling on residents to hold speeding guns so that drivers breaking the speed limit can be sent a letter from Dorset Police.

Neighbourhood watch co-ordinator Norman Decent said those caught will get advice and not a fine as their video footage will not be enforceable.

“We will be given yellow coats and training,” he said. “For example there’s a point in West Hill Road where larger cars fly along.

“They will get a letter from the police saying they were caught on a certain road and recommend that they reduce their speed.

“We will have three or four people doing it together for safety.”

Community Speed Watch groups are set up and run by volunteers who use handheld devices to record details of motorists seen speeding.

They can also note drivers using a mobile phone or not wearing seat belts. The police then send out warning letters.

Volunteer teams previously set up include those in of Horton, near Ferndown, and at Chideock in west Dorset. Mr Decent will be asking for volunteers for the Community Speed Watch scheme at the next meeting of the Poole Hill Neighbourhood Watch Group on Tuesday, January 14, at 6pm at the town centre library.

All are welcome to attend and can raise issues with police and council representatives, or through Mr Decent.

Community speed watch

THOSE caught speeding by Community Support Watch teams are sent letters from the police.

The details of potential volunteers are passed on to Dorset Police’s “vetting department” for police assurance checks to be carried out before a member of their local Safer Neighbourhood Team provides training in the use of the speed checking equipment.

When a volunteer team carries out speed checks they record how many vehicles are checked and how many were observed exceeding the speed limit thresholds: 25mph in a 20mph area, 36mph in a 30mph area and 47mph in a 40mph area.

This information will then be sent to the police’s volunteer support team.

A warning letter will be sent to the registered keeper on the first two occasions that their vehicle exceeds the speed limit.

If the vehicle is observed for a third time, local officers give the matter “further attention”.

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:27pm Wed 8 Jan 14

uvox44 says...

seems a good idea but no doubt the speeders will soon be on here bleating about their human rights being infringed and then we will have rayc going on about how it's all a tax raising exercise and , my personal favourite, those who suggest that it is soooo difficult to stick to 30mph because they have to look at their speedometers all the time !
seems a good idea but no doubt the speeders will soon be on here bleating about their human rights being infringed and then we will have rayc going on about how it's all a tax raising exercise and , my personal favourite, those who suggest that it is soooo difficult to stick to 30mph because they have to look at their speedometers all the time ! uvox44
  • Score: -7

1:00pm Wed 8 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

Wrong - and on so many levels.

We employ professionals to uphold our laws and whilst they may not be perfect the very idea of allowing self appointing 'police like' amateurs to report us is frightening, at least it should be to anyone who believes in a free, healthy and decent society.

Because today it's only traffic speed cameras........where will the sort of people who volunteer for this activity want to go next?
Wrong - and on so many levels. We employ professionals to uphold our laws and whilst they may not be perfect the very idea of allowing self appointing 'police like' amateurs to report us is frightening, at least it should be to anyone who believes in a free, healthy and decent society. Because today it's only traffic speed cameras........where will the sort of people who volunteer for this activity want to go next? muscliffman
  • Score: 18

1:04pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Poole Pirate says...

Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.
Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple. Poole Pirate
  • Score: -15

1:23pm Wed 8 Jan 14

skydriver says...

If the police tried to prosecute I feel a good lawyer would have a field day, are these hand held units calibrated to a fine line , I doubt it.
Another ill though out scheme . This will be a no no .
If the police tried to prosecute I feel a good lawyer would have a field day, are these hand held units calibrated to a fine line , I doubt it. Another ill though out scheme . This will be a no no . skydriver
  • Score: 14

1:53pm Wed 8 Jan 14

skydriver says...

Poole Pirate wrote:
Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.
What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them.
By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.
[quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.[/p][/quote]What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them. By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button. skydriver
  • Score: 11

1:56pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Stereotyped says...

Will these people be holding the speed guns up at every car? Or just the modified ones, you know...the 'boy racers'? Because, apparently, having a modifed car means that you are automatically a boy racer and race everywhere...

Or will they check their friends as they drive past at 40mph in a 30mph in their Honda Jazz?

Honeslty, I swear all old people do 40mph everywhere...monospe
eds!
Will these people be holding the speed guns up at every car? Or just the modified ones, you know...the 'boy racers'? Because, apparently, having a modifed car means that you are automatically a boy racer and race everywhere... Or will they check their friends as they drive past at 40mph in a 30mph in their Honda Jazz? Honeslty, I swear all old people do 40mph everywhere...monospe eds! Stereotyped
  • Score: 7

2:00pm Wed 8 Jan 14

smhinto says...

I look at this subject with a pragmatic view point i.e. I believe that it is not speed that kills, it more a lack of education and common sense that does the damage !!
I look at this subject with a pragmatic view point i.e. I believe that it is not speed that kills, it more a lack of education and common sense that does the damage !! smhinto
  • Score: 7

2:01pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Molecatcher says...

"Norman Decent"... That is a great name for a Neighbourhood Watch scheme coordinator. I wonder how long it will be before one of these vigilantes gets a punch in the beak from some moron who thinks it's OK to put lives at risk. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to put themselves in the firing line over this. They are out there...
"Norman Decent"... That is a great name for a Neighbourhood Watch scheme coordinator. I wonder how long it will be before one of these vigilantes gets a punch in the beak from some moron who thinks it's OK to put lives at risk. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to put themselves in the firing line over this. They are out there... Molecatcher
  • Score: 4

2:09pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Stereotyped says...

smhinto wrote:
I look at this subject with a pragmatic view point i.e. I believe that it is not speed that kills, it more a lack of education and common sense that does the damage !!
Completely agree! Driver standards is the problem, not speed.

Far too many people put driving the car on the backfoot and their priority is chatting to their friend...texting...s
inging along...putting make up on...sipping their coffee.

Reason racing drivers can drive at speed...because all they're concentrating on is actually driving that car!
[quote][p][bold]smhinto[/bold] wrote: I look at this subject with a pragmatic view point i.e. I believe that it is not speed that kills, it more a lack of education and common sense that does the damage !![/p][/quote]Completely agree! Driver standards is the problem, not speed. Far too many people put driving the car on the backfoot and their priority is chatting to their friend...texting...s inging along...putting make up on...sipping their coffee. Reason racing drivers can drive at speed...because all they're concentrating on is actually driving that car! Stereotyped
  • Score: 9

2:10pm Wed 8 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

Poole Pirate wrote:
Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.
One simple point, our potential energy supplies are infinite, it is only our present day technology that is finite.
[quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.[/p][/quote]One simple point, our potential energy supplies are infinite, it is only our present day technology that is finite. muscliffman
  • Score: 0

2:17pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

Imust get up there with my camera and get some action footage when one of these senile old **** get their face rearranged, it would make a great youtube vid.
Imust get up there with my camera and get some action footage when one of these senile old **** get their face rearranged, it would make a great youtube vid. Hessenford
  • Score: 7

3:05pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Marcus Yardley says...

What planet does Mr Decent live on. He says, “For example there’s a point in West Hill Road where larger cars fly along." Does this mean that he does not believe small cars capable of exceeding the limit - as for flying cars, I haven't seen one since Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Neighbourhood watches report crimes they see, they are not vigilantes. Seems to me the Decent thing to do would be to join the police force - or stand for the council.
What planet does Mr Decent live on. He says, “For example there’s a point in West Hill Road where larger cars fly along." Does this mean that he does not believe small cars capable of exceeding the limit - as for flying cars, I haven't seen one since Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Neighbourhood watches report crimes they see, they are not vigilantes. Seems to me the Decent thing to do would be to join the police force - or stand for the council. Marcus Yardley
  • Score: 6

3:52pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Rabbitman64 says...

skydriver wrote:
If the police tried to prosecute I feel a good lawyer would have a field day, are these hand held units calibrated to a fine line , I doubt it.
Another ill though out scheme . This will be a no no .
The information collected is going to be irrelevant in court. Nobody is going to be able to prove anything!
[quote][p][bold]skydriver[/bold] wrote: If the police tried to prosecute I feel a good lawyer would have a field day, are these hand held units calibrated to a fine line , I doubt it. Another ill though out scheme . This will be a no no .[/p][/quote]The information collected is going to be irrelevant in court. Nobody is going to be able to prove anything! Rabbitman64
  • Score: 5

4:15pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Molecatcher says...

Maybe what the police will do is let the do-gooders have a go for a while to lull the yobs into a false sense of security... I wouldn't be at all surprised of the the yobs were to speed up as they go past the do-gooders to see just how fast they can go. Then... one day, the police should station a real copper, with a real speed gun in amongst them... Could be quite lucrative. Now that would be funny...
Maybe what the police will do is let the do-gooders have a go for a while to lull the yobs into a false sense of security... I wouldn't be at all surprised of the the yobs were to speed up as they go past the do-gooders to see just how fast they can go. Then... one day, the police should station a real copper, with a real speed gun in amongst them... Could be quite lucrative. Now that would be funny... Molecatcher
  • Score: 5

5:16pm Wed 8 Jan 14

pete woodley says...

A very dangerous idea,i once appeared on tv and voiced my objection to the ridiculous idea of having having ordinary members of the public patrolling certain areas in Weymouth.Leave it to the Police who are better trained and more answerable to.The west Cliff mob are a liability,and we will see ,incidents of violence occuring.I am fully in favour of stopping speeding,but not by using members o0f the public who think they are "holier than thou".
A very dangerous idea,i once appeared on tv and voiced my objection to the ridiculous idea of having having ordinary members of the public patrolling certain areas in Weymouth.Leave it to the Police who are better trained and more answerable to.The west Cliff mob are a liability,and we will see ,incidents of violence occuring.I am fully in favour of stopping speeding,but not by using members o0f the public who think they are "holier than thou". pete woodley
  • Score: 0

5:19pm Wed 8 Jan 14

apop3d says...

What a load of cr*p. Let's see....put these old f*rts in hi vis jackets on the side of the road with radar cameras. Let them distract drivers going by and eventually get popped in the mouth by an angry motorist. And by all means, let the police send out letters to the registered owner of the car....I for one can always use some extra waste paper to scrape the dog poop off of my shoes (one of the only values those letters would have).

Instead, why not arm these busybodies with paintball guns to shoot at offending vehicles? Then if the police see a car with more than two paintball splats they can give the matter "further attention" (meaning...what? A sterner poop scraper?).

Oh, no, wait, I have a better idea! Let these folks set up roadblocks instead and give them breathalyzers! Yeah, that's the ticket!
What a load of cr*p. Let's see....put these old f*rts in hi vis jackets on the side of the road with radar cameras. Let them distract drivers going by and eventually get popped in the mouth by an angry motorist. And by all means, let the police send out letters to the registered owner of the car....I for one can always use some extra waste paper to scrape the dog poop off of my shoes (one of the only values those letters would have). Instead, why not arm these busybodies with paintball guns to shoot at offending vehicles? Then if the police see a car with more than two paintball splats they can give the matter "further attention" (meaning...what? A sterner poop scraper?). Oh, no, wait, I have a better idea! Let these folks set up roadblocks instead and give them breathalyzers! Yeah, that's the ticket! apop3d
  • Score: 3

5:44pm Wed 8 Jan 14

chris colledge says...

pete woodley wrote:
A very dangerous idea,i once appeared on tv and voiced my objection to the ridiculous idea of having having ordinary members of the public patrolling certain areas in Weymouth.Leave it to the Police who are better trained and more answerable to.The west Cliff mob are a liability,and we will see ,incidents of violence occuring.I am fully in favour of stopping speeding,but not by using members o0f the public who think they are "holier than thou".
Please note that Norman Decent does NOT represent residents of the
West Cliff or the West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch who have had no involvement in this scheme.
Chris Colledge
West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator
[quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: A very dangerous idea,i once appeared on tv and voiced my objection to the ridiculous idea of having having ordinary members of the public patrolling certain areas in Weymouth.Leave it to the Police who are better trained and more answerable to.The west Cliff mob are a liability,and we will see ,incidents of violence occuring.I am fully in favour of stopping speeding,but not by using members o0f the public who think they are "holier than thou".[/p][/quote]Please note that Norman Decent does NOT represent residents of the West Cliff or the West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch who have had no involvement in this scheme. Chris Colledge West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator chris colledge
  • Score: 1

6:30pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Letcommonsenseprevail says...

muscliffman wrote:
Wrong - and on so many levels.

We employ professionals to uphold our laws and whilst they may not be perfect the very idea of allowing self appointing 'police like' amateurs to report us is frightening, at least it should be to anyone who believes in a free, healthy and decent society.

Because today it's only traffic speed cameras........where will the sort of people who volunteer for this activity want to go next?
You're the one that's wrong. A great idea. If you don't speed (break the law) you have nothing to worry about. Simples.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Wrong - and on so many levels. We employ professionals to uphold our laws and whilst they may not be perfect the very idea of allowing self appointing 'police like' amateurs to report us is frightening, at least it should be to anyone who believes in a free, healthy and decent society. Because today it's only traffic speed cameras........where will the sort of people who volunteer for this activity want to go next?[/p][/quote]You're the one that's wrong. A great idea. If you don't speed (break the law) you have nothing to worry about. Simples. Letcommonsenseprevail
  • Score: -4

8:03pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Stereotyped says...

Letcommonsenseprevai
l
wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
Wrong - and on so many levels.

We employ professionals to uphold our laws and whilst they may not be perfect the very idea of allowing self appointing 'police like' amateurs to report us is frightening, at least it should be to anyone who believes in a free, healthy and decent society.

Because today it's only traffic speed cameras........where will the sort of people who volunteer for this activity want to go next?
You're the one that's wrong. A great idea. If you don't speed (break the law) you have nothing to worry about. Simples.
I don't speed... In fact, on a daily basis I have a queue of cars behind me because I am doing the speed limit. It must baffle them somewhat because I am a young driver in a modified car...

I still think this is not a good idea.
[quote][p][bold]Letcommonsenseprevai l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Wrong - and on so many levels. We employ professionals to uphold our laws and whilst they may not be perfect the very idea of allowing self appointing 'police like' amateurs to report us is frightening, at least it should be to anyone who believes in a free, healthy and decent society. Because today it's only traffic speed cameras........where will the sort of people who volunteer for this activity want to go next?[/p][/quote]You're the one that's wrong. A great idea. If you don't speed (break the law) you have nothing to worry about. Simples.[/p][/quote]I don't speed... In fact, on a daily basis I have a queue of cars behind me because I am doing the speed limit. It must baffle them somewhat because I am a young driver in a modified car... I still think this is not a good idea. Stereotyped
  • Score: 1

8:36pm Wed 8 Jan 14

whataboutthat says...

Dontcha just love these community types in thir high viz jackets sticking thier noses in?
Dontcha just love these community types in thir high viz jackets sticking thier noses in? whataboutthat
  • Score: 2

8:43pm Wed 8 Jan 14

pete woodley says...

chris colledge wrote:
pete woodley wrote:
A very dangerous idea,i once appeared on tv and voiced my objection to the ridiculous idea of having having ordinary members of the public patrolling certain areas in Weymouth.Leave it to the Police who are better trained and more answerable to.The west Cliff mob are a liability,and we will see ,incidents of violence occuring.I am fully in favour of stopping speeding,but not by using members o0f the public who think they are "holier than thou".
Please note that Norman Decent does NOT represent residents of the
West Cliff or the West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch who have had no involvement in this scheme.
Chris Colledge
West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator
Fair enough Chris.What is your own opinion.
[quote][p][bold]chris colledge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: A very dangerous idea,i once appeared on tv and voiced my objection to the ridiculous idea of having having ordinary members of the public patrolling certain areas in Weymouth.Leave it to the Police who are better trained and more answerable to.The west Cliff mob are a liability,and we will see ,incidents of violence occuring.I am fully in favour of stopping speeding,but not by using members o0f the public who think they are "holier than thou".[/p][/quote]Please note that Norman Decent does NOT represent residents of the West Cliff or the West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch who have had no involvement in this scheme. Chris Colledge West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator[/p][/quote]Fair enough Chris.What is your own opinion. pete woodley
  • Score: 2

8:48pm Wed 8 Jan 14

pete woodley says...

chris colledge wrote:
pete woodley wrote:
A very dangerous idea,i once appeared on tv and voiced my objection to the ridiculous idea of having having ordinary members of the public patrolling certain areas in Weymouth.Leave it to the Police who are better trained and more answerable to.The west Cliff mob are a liability,and we will see ,incidents of violence occuring.I am fully in favour of stopping speeding,but not by using members o0f the public who think they are "holier than thou".
Please note that Norman Decent does NOT represent residents of the
West Cliff or the West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch who have had no involvement in this scheme.
Chris Colledge
West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator
Fair enough Chris.What is your own opinion."decent "was on about West Hill Rd,that is west cliff,are their two groups in same area.
[quote][p][bold]chris colledge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pete woodley[/bold] wrote: A very dangerous idea,i once appeared on tv and voiced my objection to the ridiculous idea of having having ordinary members of the public patrolling certain areas in Weymouth.Leave it to the Police who are better trained and more answerable to.The west Cliff mob are a liability,and we will see ,incidents of violence occuring.I am fully in favour of stopping speeding,but not by using members o0f the public who think they are "holier than thou".[/p][/quote]Please note that Norman Decent does NOT represent residents of the West Cliff or the West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch who have had no involvement in this scheme. Chris Colledge West Cliff Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator[/p][/quote]Fair enough Chris.What is your own opinion."decent "was on about West Hill Rd,that is west cliff,are their two groups in same area. pete woodley
  • Score: 1

9:31pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Poole Pirate says...

skydriver wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote:
Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.
What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them.
By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.
Ha, how wrong you are my friend. I actually run 2 cars, have no mortgage on my large house and enjoy a £60k pa job. Shopping is delivered by tesco and I use my car often. I commute to work by bike because it keeps me fit, saves me money (£600 last year !) and reduces my impact on the environment. If you actually read my post, you'd note that at no point did I say that no one should own a car or any other vehicle, just that speed limits should be reduced. For goodness sake, read the post before you touch the send button !.
[quote][p][bold]skydriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.[/p][/quote]What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them. By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.[/p][/quote]Ha, how wrong you are my friend. I actually run 2 cars, have no mortgage on my large house and enjoy a £60k pa job. Shopping is delivered by tesco and I use my car often. I commute to work by bike because it keeps me fit, saves me money (£600 last year !) and reduces my impact on the environment. If you actually read my post, you'd note that at no point did I say that no one should own a car or any other vehicle, just that speed limits should be reduced. For goodness sake, read the post before you touch the send button !. Poole Pirate
  • Score: 1

11:26pm Wed 8 Jan 14

muscliffman says...

Letcommonsenseprevai
l
wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
Wrong - and on so many levels.

We employ professionals to uphold our laws and whilst they may not be perfect the very idea of allowing self appointing 'police like' amateurs to report us is frightening, at least it should be to anyone who believes in a free, healthy and decent society.

Because today it's only traffic speed cameras........where will the sort of people who volunteer for this activity want to go next?
You're the one that's wrong. A great idea. If you don't speed (break the law) you have nothing to worry about. Simples.
Ok, you think I am wrong.

Then for example when you drive by a group of these radar trap amateur vigilantes types at 27mph on a wet day and accidently splash one of their precious new high viz jackets, or perhaps have a civil dispute with another one of them, you don't mind receiving totally undeserved formal Police speed warning letters that go on file and could presumably be used against you in the future.

The road to Hell is said to be paved with good intentions, amateur vigilantes even here in the UK have recently been known to kill a completely innocent person, so this whole vigilante 'can' is full of very nasty worms do NOT even begin to open it with a few speed guns. You all but say the classic phrase, "if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear"........Yes, of course not!
[quote][p][bold]Letcommonsenseprevai l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: Wrong - and on so many levels. We employ professionals to uphold our laws and whilst they may not be perfect the very idea of allowing self appointing 'police like' amateurs to report us is frightening, at least it should be to anyone who believes in a free, healthy and decent society. Because today it's only traffic speed cameras........where will the sort of people who volunteer for this activity want to go next?[/p][/quote]You're the one that's wrong. A great idea. If you don't speed (break the law) you have nothing to worry about. Simples.[/p][/quote]Ok, you think I am wrong. Then for example when you drive by a group of these radar trap amateur vigilantes types at 27mph on a wet day and accidently splash one of their precious new high viz jackets, or perhaps have a civil dispute with another one of them, you don't mind receiving totally undeserved formal Police speed warning letters that go on file and could presumably be used against you in the future. The road to Hell is said to be paved with good intentions, amateur vigilantes even here in the UK have recently been known to kill a completely innocent person, so this whole vigilante 'can' is full of very nasty worms do NOT even begin to open it with a few speed guns. You all but say the classic phrase, "if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear"........Yes, of course not! muscliffman
  • Score: 2

7:47am Thu 9 Jan 14

Marcus Yardley says...

Although these letters do not add up to a prosecution or an offence, care is needed. That is was the purpose of the safer driving course which avoided a conviction but which will now still affect you insurance premiums if you attend one as an alternative to a fixed penalty. Will insurers use receipt of such a letter as evidence for hiking up premiums still further. If so, you are placing a lot of power in the hands of these individuals.
Although these letters do not add up to a prosecution or an offence, care is needed. That is was the purpose of the safer driving course which avoided a conviction but which will now still affect you insurance premiums if you attend one as an alternative to a fixed penalty. Will insurers use receipt of such a letter as evidence for hiking up premiums still further. If so, you are placing a lot of power in the hands of these individuals. Marcus Yardley
  • Score: 2

8:26am Thu 9 Jan 14

Stereotyped says...

Poole Pirate wrote:
skydriver wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.
What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them. By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.
Ha, how wrong you are my friend. I actually run 2 cars, have no mortgage on my large house and enjoy a £60k pa job. Shopping is delivered by tesco and I use my car often. I commute to work by bike because it keeps me fit, saves me money (£600 last year !) and reduces my impact on the environment. If you actually read my post, you'd note that at no point did I say that no one should own a car or any other vehicle, just that speed limits should be reduced. For goodness sake, read the post before you touch the send button !.
Speed limits do not need reducing...

What needs to happen is the driving test needs to be tougher and, heres the good bit, actually test people on their ability to drive competently.

I am a what most would class, a fairly new driver, aged 23... and I am happy to say that the driving test is not hard enough, or focussed on actual driving capability. I know of far too many people who just slipped by passing...and are not competent behind the wheel at all. They get flustered at the most minor of things, such as when to pull out on a roundabout.

These are the people who cause accidents...not the speed. The speed only factors in to the severity of an accident. But, if you think about it...if people were actually competent at driving, then the number of crashes would reduce significantly.
[quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]skydriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.[/p][/quote]What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them. By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.[/p][/quote]Ha, how wrong you are my friend. I actually run 2 cars, have no mortgage on my large house and enjoy a £60k pa job. Shopping is delivered by tesco and I use my car often. I commute to work by bike because it keeps me fit, saves me money (£600 last year !) and reduces my impact on the environment. If you actually read my post, you'd note that at no point did I say that no one should own a car or any other vehicle, just that speed limits should be reduced. For goodness sake, read the post before you touch the send button !.[/p][/quote]Speed limits do not need reducing... What needs to happen is the driving test needs to be tougher and, heres the good bit, actually test people on their ability to drive competently. I am a what most would class, a fairly new driver, aged 23... and I am happy to say that the driving test is not hard enough, or focussed on actual driving capability. I know of far too many people who just slipped by passing...and are not competent behind the wheel at all. They get flustered at the most minor of things, such as when to pull out on a roundabout. These are the people who cause accidents...not the speed. The speed only factors in to the severity of an accident. But, if you think about it...if people were actually competent at driving, then the number of crashes would reduce significantly. Stereotyped
  • Score: 2

12:45pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Poole Pirate says...

Stereotyped wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote:
skydriver wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.
What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them. By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.
Ha, how wrong you are my friend. I actually run 2 cars, have no mortgage on my large house and enjoy a £60k pa job. Shopping is delivered by tesco and I use my car often. I commute to work by bike because it keeps me fit, saves me money (£600 last year !) and reduces my impact on the environment. If you actually read my post, you'd note that at no point did I say that no one should own a car or any other vehicle, just that speed limits should be reduced. For goodness sake, read the post before you touch the send button !.
Speed limits do not need reducing... What needs to happen is the driving test needs to be tougher and, heres the good bit, actually test people on their ability to drive competently. I am a what most would class, a fairly new driver, aged 23... and I am happy to say that the driving test is not hard enough, or focussed on actual driving capability. I know of far too many people who just slipped by passing...and are not competent behind the wheel at all. They get flustered at the most minor of things, such as when to pull out on a roundabout. These are the people who cause accidents...not the speed. The speed only factors in to the severity of an accident. But, if you think about it...if people were actually competent at driving, then the number of crashes would reduce significantly.
If a child runs out unexpectedly into the road or a cyclist wobbles because of a pothole, a vehicle moving more slowly is less likely to be in collision with the child/cyclist than a vehicle moving more quickly - it's a fact, and it is less dependent upon driver competency. Better education, a reduction of speed limits and greater enforcement of speed limits is the key to the future safety on our roads. It's not so much about competency, it's about obeying the law. In an ideal world, speed limits would be reduced and all cars would be fitted with insurance-company supplied trackers - insurance premiums would be determined based on a driver's compliance with the law !.
[quote][p][bold]Stereotyped[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]skydriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.[/p][/quote]What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them. By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.[/p][/quote]Ha, how wrong you are my friend. I actually run 2 cars, have no mortgage on my large house and enjoy a £60k pa job. Shopping is delivered by tesco and I use my car often. I commute to work by bike because it keeps me fit, saves me money (£600 last year !) and reduces my impact on the environment. If you actually read my post, you'd note that at no point did I say that no one should own a car or any other vehicle, just that speed limits should be reduced. For goodness sake, read the post before you touch the send button !.[/p][/quote]Speed limits do not need reducing... What needs to happen is the driving test needs to be tougher and, heres the good bit, actually test people on their ability to drive competently. I am a what most would class, a fairly new driver, aged 23... and I am happy to say that the driving test is not hard enough, or focussed on actual driving capability. I know of far too many people who just slipped by passing...and are not competent behind the wheel at all. They get flustered at the most minor of things, such as when to pull out on a roundabout. These are the people who cause accidents...not the speed. The speed only factors in to the severity of an accident. But, if you think about it...if people were actually competent at driving, then the number of crashes would reduce significantly.[/p][/quote]If a child runs out unexpectedly into the road or a cyclist wobbles because of a pothole, a vehicle moving more slowly is less likely to be in collision with the child/cyclist than a vehicle moving more quickly - it's a fact, and it is less dependent upon driver competency. Better education, a reduction of speed limits and greater enforcement of speed limits is the key to the future safety on our roads. It's not so much about competency, it's about obeying the law. In an ideal world, speed limits would be reduced and all cars would be fitted with insurance-company supplied trackers - insurance premiums would be determined based on a driver's compliance with the law !. Poole Pirate
  • Score: 2

3:24pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Stereotyped says...

Poole Pirate wrote:
Stereotyped wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote:
skydriver wrote:
Poole Pirate wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.
What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them. By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.
Ha, how wrong you are my friend. I actually run 2 cars, have no mortgage on my large house and enjoy a £60k pa job. Shopping is delivered by tesco and I use my car often. I commute to work by bike because it keeps me fit, saves me money (£600 last year !) and reduces my impact on the environment. If you actually read my post, you'd note that at no point did I say that no one should own a car or any other vehicle, just that speed limits should be reduced. For goodness sake, read the post before you touch the send button !.
Speed limits do not need reducing... What needs to happen is the driving test needs to be tougher and, heres the good bit, actually test people on their ability to drive competently. I am a what most would class, a fairly new driver, aged 23... and I am happy to say that the driving test is not hard enough, or focussed on actual driving capability. I know of far too many people who just slipped by passing...and are not competent behind the wheel at all. They get flustered at the most minor of things, such as when to pull out on a roundabout. These are the people who cause accidents...not the speed. The speed only factors in to the severity of an accident. But, if you think about it...if people were actually competent at driving, then the number of crashes would reduce significantly.
If a child runs out unexpectedly into the road or a cyclist wobbles because of a pothole, a vehicle moving more slowly is less likely to be in collision with the child/cyclist than a vehicle moving more quickly - it's a fact, and it is less dependent upon driver competency. Better education, a reduction of speed limits and greater enforcement of speed limits is the key to the future safety on our roads. It's not so much about competency, it's about obeying the law. In an ideal world, speed limits would be reduced and all cars would be fitted with insurance-company supplied trackers - insurance premiums would be determined based on a driver's compliance with the law !.
Can you not see the contradiction in your own thought...?

You say that the limits need reducing...but are talking about people speeding. Speeding is different to travelling 'at speed'. You can be travelling 'at speed' and that speed is the speed limit.

If people were to, as you say, obey the law and do the speed limit, it wouldn't be an issue. So, I say again, the limits do not need reducing...the competency of drivers does.

Competency to drive is not just your ability to move a vechile...it is also doing so within the rules of the road, i.e. sticking to the speed limit.

However, I still stand by my comment that this is not the way to go about it. The letters you receive mean nothing...pointless even opening them. Should be police doing this and issuing proper fines & points.
[quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stereotyped[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]skydriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Pirate[/bold] wrote: Fab idea - only on the third occasion their vehicle should be impounded and sold to help fund a campaign to reduce the speed limit throughout the country. Speed kills, speed wastes fuel and speed pollutes - reduce speed and we reduce the number and severity of accidents, we conserve our finite energy supplies, and we minimise pollution assoiated with the internal combustion engine - simple.[/p][/quote]What an imbecile you must be, short sighted approach to many things I have read on these pages from you. I take it can't afford a car therefore you don't expect others to have them. By the way how does your food get to the shops? Do you ever use taxis? Do you use buses, all powered by the internal combustion engine. For goodness sake think before you touch the send button.[/p][/quote]Ha, how wrong you are my friend. I actually run 2 cars, have no mortgage on my large house and enjoy a £60k pa job. Shopping is delivered by tesco and I use my car often. I commute to work by bike because it keeps me fit, saves me money (£600 last year !) and reduces my impact on the environment. If you actually read my post, you'd note that at no point did I say that no one should own a car or any other vehicle, just that speed limits should be reduced. For goodness sake, read the post before you touch the send button !.[/p][/quote]Speed limits do not need reducing... What needs to happen is the driving test needs to be tougher and, heres the good bit, actually test people on their ability to drive competently. I am a what most would class, a fairly new driver, aged 23... and I am happy to say that the driving test is not hard enough, or focussed on actual driving capability. I know of far too many people who just slipped by passing...and are not competent behind the wheel at all. They get flustered at the most minor of things, such as when to pull out on a roundabout. These are the people who cause accidents...not the speed. The speed only factors in to the severity of an accident. But, if you think about it...if people were actually competent at driving, then the number of crashes would reduce significantly.[/p][/quote]If a child runs out unexpectedly into the road or a cyclist wobbles because of a pothole, a vehicle moving more slowly is less likely to be in collision with the child/cyclist than a vehicle moving more quickly - it's a fact, and it is less dependent upon driver competency. Better education, a reduction of speed limits and greater enforcement of speed limits is the key to the future safety on our roads. It's not so much about competency, it's about obeying the law. In an ideal world, speed limits would be reduced and all cars would be fitted with insurance-company supplied trackers - insurance premiums would be determined based on a driver's compliance with the law !.[/p][/quote]Can you not see the contradiction in your own thought...? You say that the limits need reducing...but are talking about people speeding. Speeding is different to travelling 'at speed'. You can be travelling 'at speed' and that speed is the speed limit. If people were to, as you say, obey the law and do the speed limit, it wouldn't be an issue. So, I say again, the limits do not need reducing...the competency of drivers does. Competency to drive is not just your ability to move a vechile...it is also doing so within the rules of the road, i.e. sticking to the speed limit. However, I still stand by my comment that this is not the way to go about it. The letters you receive mean nothing...pointless even opening them. Should be police doing this and issuing proper fines & points. Stereotyped
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree