Clamp down: 73 children issued with warnings and 41 adults fined in "successful" bike lights campaign

Bournemouth Echo: SWITCH ON: Police clamp down on people riding bikes with no lights as part of the Bike Lights Initiative SWITCH ON: Police clamp down on people riding bikes with no lights as part of the Bike Lights Initiative

MORE than 100 people have been stopped by police and given advice on using lights when riding their bikes at night.

As reported in the Daily Echo, the Dorset Road Safe No Excuse team launched a targeted operation last month aimed at reducing the number of cycling casualties on the county’s roads.

Teams of officers targeted areas across Dorset and stopped cyclists found riding without lights. The Echo joined them on one patrol around Bournemouth.

Operations took place in Broadstone, Kinson, Upton, Parkstone, Oakdale, Southbourne, Boscombe, Bournemouth, Weymouth and Dorchester.

A total of 73 children and young people were issued with a warning on the consequences of riding in the dark without lights and high visibility clothing.

Traffic officers then fitted their bikes with a free set of lights and gave the rider a No Excuse reflective snap band and florescent bag.

Some were also issued with an information letter to hand to their parents or guardians.

A total of 41 adults were caught riding without lights and were issued with a £50 Fixed Penalty Notice and a Defect Notice.

The riders were told they could take their cycle to a police station within seven days to prove lights had been fitted and their ticket would be cancelled.

A total of 18 adults took that option.

Inspector Matt Butler, of Dorset Police’s Traffic Unit, said: “The bike lights initiative has proved successful in Dorset by helping to spread the message about the dangers of cycling in the dark without lights.

“The majority of young people realised they should have lights once they were reminded and all thanked the officers for their lights, florescent kit and information leaflet.

“More young people now have the tools they need to ride safely around the county.

“I would like to remind all cyclists they should wear a helmet, light coloured or fluorescent clothing in daylight and reflective clothing with bike lights in the dark. This will make sure that they are seen by other road users.”

Further Bike Lights initiatives are due to take place in Winton, Christchurch and Bridport and other parts of the county until April 2014.

Comments (55)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:53am Tue 24 Dec 13

MandinVerwood says...

Not harsh enough. This sort of offence should warrant jail time!!

If a poop motorist can get a fine or points for minor discretions like speeding, texting, having one drink too many or "being aggressive" because the car in front is too slow, then it is time that these blimmin cyclists are treated the same way.

And as they don't have to have a licence or pay car tax for the roads or insurance (although I couldn't afford it myself this year but wasn't caught so that was over a grand saved!) then the only option to them would be to get them off the roads and have their bikes crushed. Throw them in jail too.

They are all perverts and only ride bikes because they can wear Lycra.
.
.
.
.
.
(of course this is all tongue in cheek so please don't take this literary!). Good to see people fined for breaking the law and if we have more police invested in and out a lot more of the time then they wouldn't have to go with special one-off events and do this all the time.
.
Merry Christmas...
Not harsh enough. This sort of offence should warrant jail time!! If a poop motorist can get a fine or points for minor discretions like speeding, texting, having one drink too many or "being aggressive" because the car in front is too slow, then it is time that these blimmin cyclists are treated the same way. And as they don't have to have a licence or pay car tax for the roads or insurance (although I couldn't afford it myself this year but wasn't caught so that was over a grand saved!) then the only option to them would be to get them off the roads and have their bikes crushed. Throw them in jail too. They are all perverts and only ride bikes because they can wear Lycra. . . . . . (of course this is all tongue in cheek so please don't take this literary!). Good to see people fined for breaking the law and if we have more police invested in and out a lot more of the time then they wouldn't have to go with special one-off events and do this all the time. . Merry Christmas... MandinVerwood

6:54am Tue 24 Dec 13

MandinVerwood says...

poor not poop!! although it is funny...
poor not poop!! although it is funny... MandinVerwood

7:03am Tue 24 Dec 13

jobsworthwatch says...

Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking. jobsworthwatch

7:25am Tue 24 Dec 13

Moro99 says...

I hope we see a drop on cyclists being hit as a result of this .
I hope we see a drop on cyclists being hit as a result of this . Moro99

7:36am Tue 24 Dec 13

jobsworthwatch says...

Moro99 wrote:
I hope we see a drop on cyclists being hit as a result of this .
You won't!
[quote][p][bold]Moro99[/bold] wrote: I hope we see a drop on cyclists being hit as a result of this .[/p][/quote]You won't! jobsworthwatch

8:10am Tue 24 Dec 13

BarrHumbug says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant?

This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant? This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads. BarrHumbug

8:12am Tue 24 Dec 13

MandinVerwood says...

BarrHumbug wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant?

This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.
It is common knowledge about the blind spots with lorries and why you should never cycle down the inside of one. But I hadn't seen the official reports stating that this was the cause in the majority of the incidents in London this year.

Could you please direct me to the link as I would be interested to read them.
[quote][p][bold]BarrHumbug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant? This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.[/p][/quote]It is common knowledge about the blind spots with lorries and why you should never cycle down the inside of one. But I hadn't seen the official reports stating that this was the cause in the majority of the incidents in London this year. Could you please direct me to the link as I would be interested to read them. MandinVerwood

8:14am Tue 24 Dec 13

Townee says...

More lights for sale on ebay.
They need to show up in the side road of Charminster, nearly every day bike riders go down my road without lights, they know not to ride on the main roads.
More lights for sale on ebay. They need to show up in the side road of Charminster, nearly every day bike riders go down my road without lights, they know not to ride on the main roads. Townee

8:22am Tue 24 Dec 13

alasdair1967 says...

It's not just hgvs that have blind spots the company I work for has just put warning signs on all our panel vans warning cyclists about passing on the near side,this will be a result of a near miss incident somewhere else in the country within our company network, and the powers to be at uk headquarters have deemed that warning signs be fitted as a result of there investigations
It's not just hgvs that have blind spots the company I work for has just put warning signs on all our panel vans warning cyclists about passing on the near side,this will be a result of a near miss incident somewhere else in the country within our company network, and the powers to be at uk headquarters have deemed that warning signs be fitted as a result of there investigations alasdair1967

8:27am Tue 24 Dec 13

exiled_taff says...

Townee wrote:
More lights for sale on ebay.
They need to show up in the side road of Charminster, nearly every day bike riders go down my road without lights, they know not to ride on the main roads.
I agree Townee

Any area where students reside seems to have a very high density of cyclists who seem to think that they don't need to follow the highway code. I've resorted to peeping my horn to cyclists who don't have lights on. So they know I've seen them!
[quote][p][bold]Townee[/bold] wrote: More lights for sale on ebay. They need to show up in the side road of Charminster, nearly every day bike riders go down my road without lights, they know not to ride on the main roads.[/p][/quote]I agree Townee Any area where students reside seems to have a very high density of cyclists who seem to think that they don't need to follow the highway code. I've resorted to peeping my horn to cyclists who don't have lights on. So they know I've seen them! exiled_taff

8:28am Tue 24 Dec 13

crispy_pants says...

I'm sure the highway code says that you shouldn't overtake on the left of a vehicle. This applies to cyclists as well as cars.
I'm sure the highway code says that you shouldn't overtake on the left of a vehicle. This applies to cyclists as well as cars. crispy_pants

8:33am Tue 24 Dec 13

jobsworthwatch says...

BarrHumbug wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant?

This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.
Check it out the 2% fig. is a fact. What ever vehicle you drive you're not supposed to drive into anything.
[quote][p][bold]BarrHumbug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant? This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.[/p][/quote]Check it out the 2% fig. is a fact. What ever vehicle you drive you're not supposed to drive into anything. jobsworthwatch

8:39am Tue 24 Dec 13

MandinVerwood says...

crispy_pants wrote:
I'm sure the highway code says that you shouldn't overtake on the left of a vehicle. This applies to cyclists as well as cars.
Actually, most cycle lanes are on the left!

What is happening is cyclists who are not really aware see a cycle lane and go down it regardless thinking it is there so must be safe! But a big lorry wanting to turn left will cut right across it squashing them (especially if there are barriers there too) because of the physics of turning circles.

This is why a lot of cyclists are not the greatest fan of cycle lanes, having them there does not make it safer, and in fact can lull a lot into a false sense of security.
[quote][p][bold]crispy_pants[/bold] wrote: I'm sure the highway code says that you shouldn't overtake on the left of a vehicle. This applies to cyclists as well as cars.[/p][/quote]Actually, most cycle lanes are on the left! What is happening is cyclists who are not really aware see a cycle lane and go down it regardless thinking it is there so must be safe! But a big lorry wanting to turn left will cut right across it squashing them (especially if there are barriers there too) because of the physics of turning circles. This is why a lot of cyclists are not the greatest fan of cycle lanes, having them there does not make it safer, and in fact can lull a lot into a false sense of security. MandinVerwood

8:51am Tue 24 Dec 13

berttheshirt says...

CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE
MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS'
I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE..
WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER
CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS' I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE.. WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER berttheshirt

8:56am Tue 24 Dec 13

jobsworthwatch says...

berttheshirt wrote:
CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE
MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS'
I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE..
WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER
Is what you do common sense then?
[quote][p][bold]berttheshirt[/bold] wrote: CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS' I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE.. WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER[/p][/quote]Is what you do common sense then? jobsworthwatch

8:57am Tue 24 Dec 13

exiled_taff says...

MandinVerwood wrote:
crispy_pants wrote:
I'm sure the highway code says that you shouldn't overtake on the left of a vehicle. This applies to cyclists as well as cars.
Actually, most cycle lanes are on the left!

What is happening is cyclists who are not really aware see a cycle lane and go down it regardless thinking it is there so must be safe! But a big lorry wanting to turn left will cut right across it squashing them (especially if there are barriers there too) because of the physics of turning circles.

This is why a lot of cyclists are not the greatest fan of cycle lanes, having them there does not make it safer, and in fact can lull a lot into a false sense of security.
I agree with the sentiment of this comment, but just because there is a cycle lane, doesn't mean that cyclists should assume priority (which they may have). As a driver,cyclist, and pedestrian I adopt a defensive approach. Therefore, if a lorry is on my right-hand side and I'm in the cycle lane on the left, I check the vehicles indicators, or even slow to avoid "under-taking" near junctions. Also when cycling through stationary traffic, when there isn't a cycle lane, I go on the right-hand-side (rhs) of cars. When driving in stationary traffic I pull right over to the left to encourage cyclist to pass on the rhs, but many cyclists still try to pass down the left or offer verbal advice on my driving!
[quote][p][bold]MandinVerwood[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crispy_pants[/bold] wrote: I'm sure the highway code says that you shouldn't overtake on the left of a vehicle. This applies to cyclists as well as cars.[/p][/quote]Actually, most cycle lanes are on the left! What is happening is cyclists who are not really aware see a cycle lane and go down it regardless thinking it is there so must be safe! But a big lorry wanting to turn left will cut right across it squashing them (especially if there are barriers there too) because of the physics of turning circles. This is why a lot of cyclists are not the greatest fan of cycle lanes, having them there does not make it safer, and in fact can lull a lot into a false sense of security.[/p][/quote]I agree with the sentiment of this comment, but just because there is a cycle lane, doesn't mean that cyclists should assume priority (which they may have). As a driver,cyclist, and pedestrian I adopt a defensive approach. Therefore, if a lorry is on my right-hand side and I'm in the cycle lane on the left, I check the vehicles indicators, or even slow to avoid "under-taking" near junctions. Also when cycling through stationary traffic, when there isn't a cycle lane, I go on the right-hand-side (rhs) of cars. When driving in stationary traffic I pull right over to the left to encourage cyclist to pass on the rhs, but many cyclists still try to pass down the left or offer verbal advice on my driving! exiled_taff

9:02am Tue 24 Dec 13

exiled_taff says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
berttheshirt wrote:
CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE
MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS'
I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE..
WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER
Is what you do common sense then?
I believe it is.

Most motorist will check their right mirror first, and may be not even the left.

All cyclists should be encouraged to over-take on the right (like motorcyclists do).

If all cars pulled to the left, then it would make things simpler, but many cars stay towards the centre of the road.
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]berttheshirt[/bold] wrote: CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS' I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE.. WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER[/p][/quote]Is what you do common sense then?[/p][/quote]I believe it is. Most motorist will check their right mirror first, and may be not even the left. All cyclists should be encouraged to over-take on the right (like motorcyclists do). If all cars pulled to the left, then it would make things simpler, but many cars stay towards the centre of the road. exiled_taff

9:08am Tue 24 Dec 13

cherrygood says...

Lets face it, cycling on British roads today is unsafe, however careful the cyclists/drivers are. The two forms of transport are totally incompatible. Both travel at different speeds and one is much more vulnerable than the other.

I cycle occasionally with my daughter and try to avoid the roads at all costs. Infact the only route I will take it the one through Bournemouth Gardens which pretty much takes you all the way to the beach, or i'll stick our bikes in the back of the car and take them up to Moors Valley. As a means of getting from A to B its walking or car for me and both of those still have their hazards.
Lets face it, cycling on British roads today is unsafe, however careful the cyclists/drivers are. The two forms of transport are totally incompatible. Both travel at different speeds and one is much more vulnerable than the other. I cycle occasionally with my daughter and try to avoid the roads at all costs. Infact the only route I will take it the one through Bournemouth Gardens which pretty much takes you all the way to the beach, or i'll stick our bikes in the back of the car and take them up to Moors Valley. As a means of getting from A to B its walking or car for me and both of those still have their hazards. cherrygood

9:08am Tue 24 Dec 13

MandinVerwood says...

berttheshirt wrote:
CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE
MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS'
I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE..
WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER
Do you mean..

"I hate it when I see cyclists going past me because I am stuck in a queue, so I try and manoeuvre my car to be as big as an obstruction as possible. Then they still get past and it makes me angry and I need to SHOUT about it!!"

Please be a bit more considerate to others. It's not going to affect your journey now is it? And if it does hold you up for a shirt while, how many seconds is that really going to be? Is taking a life worth it?
[quote][p][bold]berttheshirt[/bold] wrote: CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS' I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE.. WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER[/p][/quote]Do you mean.. "I hate it when I see cyclists going past me because I am stuck in a queue, so I try and manoeuvre my car to be as big as an obstruction as possible. Then they still get past and it makes me angry and I need to SHOUT about it!!" Please be a bit more considerate to others. It's not going to affect your journey now is it? And if it does hold you up for a shirt while, how many seconds is that really going to be? Is taking a life worth it? MandinVerwood

9:16am Tue 24 Dec 13

steve518 says...

So for breaking the law the children a rewarded with a free goodie bag. Yes give them lights, take them home, charge their idiotic parents and also fine them, for allowing their children to have bikes without lights being fitted. It beggars belief that any patent would let their child ride a bike with lights. They are so cheap to buy and many don't need batteries just he recharging on a USB cable and they last for hours.
So for breaking the law the children a rewarded with a free goodie bag. Yes give them lights, take them home, charge their idiotic parents and also fine them, for allowing their children to have bikes without lights being fitted. It beggars belief that any patent would let their child ride a bike with lights. They are so cheap to buy and many don't need batteries just he recharging on a USB cable and they last for hours. steve518

9:16am Tue 24 Dec 13

steve518 says...

Should be children are
Should be children are steve518

9:28am Tue 24 Dec 13

Franks Tank says...

berttheshirt wrote:
CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE
MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS'
I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE..
WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER
Firstly...
THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT.
This level of selfish inconsideration makes me sooo angry.
What exactly do you achieve by doing that? What? Do you get some sort of smug satisfaction knowing you have impeded someone's progress?
So you manage to get in someone's way, of course they are going to go round you. Your actions encourage them to the outside of the traffic and then they have to cut back in again.
Are you just jealous and angry that someone is getting somewhere more quickly and cheaply than you in your self important expensive car?
I'll bet you'll even complain if your wing mirror is clipped by someone you've forced to squeeze past.
Why not relax and leave plenty of space like a normal considerate person. Oh no, forgot, your much too important.
Action like yours will encourage the cyclist to take their own car the next day and guess what, they'll be in the traffic queue with you. Will that make you happy??
Whether you agree or not, one thing's for sure, your actions are NOT A SAFTY MEASURE.
[quote][p][bold]berttheshirt[/bold] wrote: CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS' I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE.. WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER[/p][/quote]Firstly... THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT. This level of selfish inconsideration makes me sooo angry. What exactly do you achieve by doing that? What? Do you get some sort of smug satisfaction knowing you have impeded someone's progress? So you manage to get in someone's way, of course they are going to go round you. Your actions encourage them to the outside of the traffic and then they have to cut back in again. Are you just jealous and angry that someone is getting somewhere more quickly and cheaply than you in your self important expensive car? I'll bet you'll even complain if your wing mirror is clipped by someone you've forced to squeeze past. Why not relax and leave plenty of space like a normal considerate person. Oh no, forgot, your much too important. Action like yours will encourage the cyclist to take their own car the next day and guess what, they'll be in the traffic queue with you. Will that make you happy?? Whether you agree or not, one thing's for sure, your actions are NOT A SAFTY MEASURE. Franks Tank

9:31am Tue 24 Dec 13

richardcompton3 says...

I suggest they hit Winton area. 95% of cyclists have no lights.
I suggest they hit Winton area. 95% of cyclists have no lights. richardcompton3

9:41am Tue 24 Dec 13

jobsworthwatch says...

exiled_taff wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
berttheshirt wrote:
CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE
MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS'
I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE..
WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER
Is what you do common sense then?
I believe it is.

Most motorist will check their right mirror first, and may be not even the left.

All cyclists should be encouraged to over-take on the right (like motorcyclists do).

If all cars pulled to the left, then it would make things simpler, but many cars stay towards the centre of the road.
When I drive, at lights I always allow enough room for cyclists to pass up the inside as if there is an unmarked cycling lane there and if I'm at the front stop short of the stop line, if I'm turning left I simply check for cyclists coming up the inside. This is what the newer road markings at traffic lights make you do!
Obstructing cyclists in the manner you describe is positively dangerous for the cyclist.
[quote][p][bold]exiled_taff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]berttheshirt[/bold] wrote: CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS' I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE.. WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER[/p][/quote]Is what you do common sense then?[/p][/quote]I believe it is. Most motorist will check their right mirror first, and may be not even the left. All cyclists should be encouraged to over-take on the right (like motorcyclists do). If all cars pulled to the left, then it would make things simpler, but many cars stay towards the centre of the road.[/p][/quote]When I drive, at lights I always allow enough room for cyclists to pass up the inside as if there is an unmarked cycling lane there and if I'm at the front stop short of the stop line, if I'm turning left I simply check for cyclists coming up the inside. This is what the newer road markings at traffic lights make you do! Obstructing cyclists in the manner you describe is positively dangerous for the cyclist. jobsworthwatch

9:49am Tue 24 Dec 13

TheDistrict says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Another out of the butt comment. Anyone, motorist or cyclist will witness the number of cyclists riding around our roads without lights, earphones stuffed in their shell like ears, totally oblivious to what is going on, on the roads. I am thankful that I am vigilant, and aware of the crazy, suicidal cyclists on our roads. The very same people who no doubt complain about motorists. More should be done to ensure that they too abide by the Highway Code. These cyclists make it bad for those cyclists who do have lights, and ride aware of what is on the roads, and can hear traffic around them. 2% might be due to no lights, but 98% is down to undue care and attention on the roads, something we motorist can be charged for.
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Another out of the butt comment. Anyone, motorist or cyclist will witness the number of cyclists riding around our roads without lights, earphones stuffed in their shell like ears, totally oblivious to what is going on, on the roads. I am thankful that I am vigilant, and aware of the crazy, suicidal cyclists on our roads. The very same people who no doubt complain about motorists. More should be done to ensure that they too abide by the Highway Code. These cyclists make it bad for those cyclists who do have lights, and ride aware of what is on the roads, and can hear traffic around them. 2% might be due to no lights, but 98% is down to undue care and attention on the roads, something we motorist can be charged for. TheDistrict

10:02am Tue 24 Dec 13

jobsworthwatch says...

TheDistrict wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Another out of the butt comment. Anyone, motorist or cyclist will witness the number of cyclists riding around our roads without lights, earphones stuffed in their shell like ears, totally oblivious to what is going on, on the roads. I am thankful that I am vigilant, and aware of the crazy, suicidal cyclists on our roads. The very same people who no doubt complain about motorists. More should be done to ensure that they too abide by the Highway Code. These cyclists make it bad for those cyclists who do have lights, and ride aware of what is on the roads, and can hear traffic around them. 2% might be due to no lights, but 98% is down to undue care and attention on the roads, something we motorist can be charged for.
Another load of bollards, check the facts, well over half are the result of undue care and attention on the part of the vehicle driver.
[quote][p][bold]TheDistrict[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Another out of the butt comment. Anyone, motorist or cyclist will witness the number of cyclists riding around our roads without lights, earphones stuffed in their shell like ears, totally oblivious to what is going on, on the roads. I am thankful that I am vigilant, and aware of the crazy, suicidal cyclists on our roads. The very same people who no doubt complain about motorists. More should be done to ensure that they too abide by the Highway Code. These cyclists make it bad for those cyclists who do have lights, and ride aware of what is on the roads, and can hear traffic around them. 2% might be due to no lights, but 98% is down to undue care and attention on the roads, something we motorist can be charged for.[/p][/quote]Another load of bollards, check the facts, well over half are the result of undue care and attention on the part of the vehicle driver. jobsworthwatch

10:08am Tue 24 Dec 13

MJD says...

Not before time. Pound shop Poole Batteries £1 Full set of lights £1. Why lose your life for the sake of £2
Not before time. Pound shop Poole Batteries £1 Full set of lights £1. Why lose your life for the sake of £2 MJD

10:33am Tue 24 Dec 13

madras says...

BarrHumbug wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant?

This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.
As one who regularly drives in central London I concur - it's a challenge as bikes come literally from all angles and in heavy traffic are both on inside and outside plus cutting across front and back of the car. I try to make room and keep my wits about me using all mirrors and fortunately my car doesn't really have blind spots. But even so, it's a challenge.

The safety of cyclists is in everyone's hands - including their own

A SAFE and peaceful Christmas and New Year to everyone. No matter how many wheels you may have!
[quote][p][bold]BarrHumbug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant? This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.[/p][/quote]As one who regularly drives in central London I concur - it's a challenge as bikes come literally from all angles and in heavy traffic are both on inside and outside plus cutting across front and back of the car. I try to make room and keep my wits about me using all mirrors and fortunately my car doesn't really have blind spots. But even so, it's a challenge. The safety of cyclists is in everyone's hands - including their own A SAFE and peaceful Christmas and New Year to everyone. No matter how many wheels you may have! madras

10:36am Tue 24 Dec 13

Dorset Logic says...

berttheshirt wrote:
CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE
MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS'
I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE..
WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER
And the daily echo prize for use of upper case goes to........
[quote][p][bold]berttheshirt[/bold] wrote: CYCLISTS ARE RATHER SHORT ON COMMON SENSE AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON FOR ACCIDENTS' I AM A CAR DRIVER AND WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS OR ROAD JUNCTIONS I KEEP CLOSE TO THE NEAR SIDE KERB TO STOP CYCLISTS COMING THROUGH ON THE INSIDE AS A SAFETY MEASURE.. WHAT HAPPENS? THEY COME OUT TO MY OFFSIDE AND THEN WEAVE IN AND OUT OF THE VEHICLES TO LEFT AND RIGHT. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER IT IS NOT JUST THE MOTORIST,SO PLEASE CYCLISTS DO YOUR BIT AN SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE IN THE MATTER[/p][/quote]And the daily echo prize for use of upper case goes to........ Dorset Logic

10:47am Tue 24 Dec 13

ranger_bob says...

Check out the figures for 2012 from ROSPA :- http://www.rospa.com
/roadsafety/advicean
dinformation/cycling
/facts-figures.aspx

The split between driver/cyclist fault is 57% to 43% for serious accidents. The most interesting thing is that 80% of all accidents occur in daylight.
Check out the figures for 2012 from ROSPA :- http://www.rospa.com /roadsafety/advicean dinformation/cycling /facts-figures.aspx The split between driver/cyclist fault is 57% to 43% for serious accidents. The most interesting thing is that 80% of all accidents occur in daylight. ranger_bob

11:10am Tue 24 Dec 13

poolebob says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Even if it is 2% then it's too many. So let's stop that 2% by getting cyclists to use lights.

But where do you get your figures from/
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Even if it is 2% then it's too many. So let's stop that 2% by getting cyclists to use lights. But where do you get your figures from/ poolebob

11:13am Tue 24 Dec 13

jobsworthwatch says...

poolebob wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Even if it is 2% then it's too many. So let's stop that 2% by getting cyclists to use lights.

But where do you get your figures from/
http://road.cc/conte
nt/news/12065-report
-dft-casualty-stats-
says-cyclists-not-bl
ame-93-cent-cases
[quote][p][bold]poolebob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Even if it is 2% then it's too many. So let's stop that 2% by getting cyclists to use lights. But where do you get your figures from/[/p][/quote]http://road.cc/conte nt/news/12065-report -dft-casualty-stats- says-cyclists-not-bl ame-93-cent-cases jobsworthwatch

11:26am Tue 24 Dec 13

Moro99 says...

MJD wrote:
Not before time. Pound shop Poole Batteries £1 Full set of lights £1. Why lose your life for the sake of £2
A £1 set of lights won't save anyone's life. To be seen you have to spend a lot more on more powerful lights.
[quote][p][bold]MJD[/bold] wrote: Not before time. Pound shop Poole Batteries £1 Full set of lights £1. Why lose your life for the sake of £2[/p][/quote]A £1 set of lights won't save anyone's life. To be seen you have to spend a lot more on more powerful lights. Moro99

11:59am Tue 24 Dec 13

Letcommonsenseprevail says...

BarrHumbug wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant?

This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.
2% of cyclist overall - not 2% due to a specific reason, you muppet.
[quote][p][bold]BarrHumbug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant? This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.[/p][/quote]2% of cyclist overall - not 2% due to a specific reason, you muppet. Letcommonsenseprevail

12:00pm Tue 24 Dec 13

Letcommonsenseprevail says...

Copper looks well grumpy.
Copper looks well grumpy. Letcommonsenseprevail

12:05pm Tue 24 Dec 13

Lucky Rich says...

As a car driver / motorcyclist & cyclist ive got to admit ime not a fan of these small flashing lights that some cyclists use ,also i think as in the old days the lights should be in some sort of standard position on the cycles ,,,,,,some seem to stick there rear lights on top of there back packs or helmets then lean down over the handlebars ,,probably looks fine to them if there stood up in front of a mirror before they go out there .
As a car driver / motorcyclist & cyclist ive got to admit ime not a fan of these small flashing lights that some cyclists use ,also i think as in the old days the lights should be in some sort of standard position on the cycles ,,,,,,some seem to stick there rear lights on top of there back packs or helmets then lean down over the handlebars ,,probably looks fine to them if there stood up in front of a mirror before they go out there . Lucky Rich

1:00pm Tue 24 Dec 13

BIGTONE says...

Just over 2 grand in fixed penalties.
I wonder how much the ops cost?
Just over 2 grand in fixed penalties. I wonder how much the ops cost? BIGTONE

1:01pm Tue 24 Dec 13

muscliffman says...

I have previously expressed the opinion that handing over these lights to errant young cyclists amounts to rewarding the offenders, because even kids must know they should have lights on their bikes at night - and what about their parents? There is more than a hint of that modern problem where UK society for some reason prefers to reward failure rather than confront it and in this case it discriminates against the many good cyclists who have taken the trouble to conform to the rules at their own expense.

Meanwhile the routine pro and anti-cyclist lobbies wind themselves up on this forum with view points which are probably both right to some extent. So best to add a seasonal note and hope that however many wheels you ride in or upon make sure you have a safe Christmas and New Year - and in that context and for the benefit of your blood pressure, keep well away from Richmond Hill roundabout!
I have previously expressed the opinion that handing over these lights to errant young cyclists amounts to rewarding the offenders, because even kids must know they should have lights on their bikes at night - and what about their parents? There is more than a hint of that modern problem where UK society for some reason prefers to reward failure rather than confront it and in this case it discriminates against the many good cyclists who have taken the trouble to conform to the rules at their own expense. Meanwhile the routine pro and anti-cyclist lobbies wind themselves up on this forum with view points which are probably both right to some extent. So best to add a seasonal note and hope that however many wheels you ride in or upon make sure you have a safe Christmas and New Year - and in that context and for the benefit of your blood pressure, keep well away from Richmond Hill roundabout! muscliffman

2:08pm Tue 24 Dec 13

Ophilum says...

Good they should have been doing this years ago, why did the police stop enforcing the law on no lights a bit strange, now get tough on people not putting there lights on in weather like we had yesterday, if it,s raining use dipped headlights is the rule of thumb get wise, far to many out there with defective lights on cars and vans .
Good they should have been doing this years ago, why did the police stop enforcing the law on no lights a bit strange, now get tough on people not putting there lights on in weather like we had yesterday, if it,s raining use dipped headlights is the rule of thumb get wise, far to many out there with defective lights on cars and vans . Ophilum

3:18pm Tue 24 Dec 13

ASM says...

the police really have the public's backing on this, at least the echo reader. If it were me who got fined 50 bar for not having a bike light i would be a bit upset. But they know the dangers and road safety and I think they deem this appropriate action
the police really have the public's backing on this, at least the echo reader. If it were me who got fined 50 bar for not having a bike light i would be a bit upset. But they know the dangers and road safety and I think they deem this appropriate action ASM

4:26pm Tue 24 Dec 13

carrrob says...

About time to issue an on the spot fine to the adults, you wouldnt drive a car without the lights on!
About time to issue an on the spot fine to the adults, you wouldnt drive a car without the lights on! carrrob

4:27pm Tue 24 Dec 13

carrrob says...

About time,issue an on the spot fine to the adults, you wouldnt drive a car without the lights on!
About time,issue an on the spot fine to the adults, you wouldnt drive a car without the lights on! carrrob

4:41pm Tue 24 Dec 13

scrumpyjack says...

BIGTONE wrote:
Just over 2 grand in fixed penalties. I wonder how much the ops cost?
I wonfer how much a "wiping up another victim" and closing the road for 10 hours exercise costs?
[quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: Just over 2 grand in fixed penalties. I wonder how much the ops cost?[/p][/quote]I wonfer how much a "wiping up another victim" and closing the road for 10 hours exercise costs? scrumpyjack

5:42pm Tue 24 Dec 13

BIGTONE says...

scrumpyjack wrote:
BIGTONE wrote:
Just over 2 grand in fixed penalties. I wonder how much the ops cost?
I wonfer how much a "wiping up another victim" and closing the road for 10 hours exercise costs?
Don't have any sympathy for anyone if they get splattered due to their own stupidity and retarded ways. It's the innocents that suffer from their actions,or lack of. This is why we have a nanny state. The vast majority of retards can't think for themselves so authority has to do if for them.
Wiping up a victim is cheaper than you think.
[quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: Just over 2 grand in fixed penalties. I wonder how much the ops cost?[/p][/quote]I wonfer how much a "wiping up another victim" and closing the road for 10 hours exercise costs?[/p][/quote]Don't have any sympathy for anyone if they get splattered due to their own stupidity and retarded ways. It's the innocents that suffer from their actions,or lack of. This is why we have a nanny state. The vast majority of retards can't think for themselves so authority has to do if for them. Wiping up a victim is cheaper than you think. BIGTONE

5:50pm Tue 24 Dec 13

The-Bleeding-Obvious says...

Letcommonsenseprevai
l
wrote:
BarrHumbug wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant?

This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.
2% of cyclist overall - not 2% due to a specific reason, you muppet.
You haven't done your homework, check it out before making your spurious uninformed anti-cycling comments, jobsworthwatch is right.
[quote][p][bold]Letcommonsenseprevai l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BarrHumbug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Rubbish, the majority of cyclists killed in London this year were due to them cycling into blind spots of HGVs and not paying attention to the vehicles indicators. Just because cyclists are vulnerable when on the road it does not mean it's wholly up to the vehicle driver to watch out for them, on the contrary they should be more vigilant? This is not a cyclist bashing post it's just to say that they are just as responsible for their own safety as anyone else is sharing the roads.[/p][/quote]2% of cyclist overall - not 2% due to a specific reason, you muppet.[/p][/quote]You haven't done your homework, check it out before making your spurious uninformed anti-cycling comments, jobsworthwatch is right. The-Bleeding-Obvious

6:22pm Tue 24 Dec 13

poolebob says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
poolebob wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Even if it is 2% then it's too many. So let's stop that 2% by getting cyclists to use lights.

But where do you get your figures from/
http://road.cc/conte

nt/news/12065-report

-dft-casualty-stats-

says-cyclists-not-bl

ame-93-cent-cases
You obviously haven't read the report and are quoting an article written in 2009.
The Report states that in 5% of fatal and 4% of serious accidents at night or in poor visibility having no lights was a contributory factor. For dark clothing at the figures were . 10% and 5% respectively.
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]poolebob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Even if it is 2% then it's too many. So let's stop that 2% by getting cyclists to use lights. But where do you get your figures from/[/p][/quote]http://road.cc/conte nt/news/12065-report -dft-casualty-stats- says-cyclists-not-bl ame-93-cent-cases[/p][/quote]You obviously haven't read the report and are quoting an article written in 2009. The Report states that in 5% of fatal and 4% of serious accidents at night or in poor visibility having no lights was a contributory factor. For dark clothing at the figures were . 10% and 5% respectively. poolebob

6:52pm Tue 24 Dec 13

scrumpyjack says...

BIGTONE wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
BIGTONE wrote: Just over 2 grand in fixed penalties. I wonder how much the ops cost?
I wonfer how much a "wiping up another victim" and closing the road for 10 hours exercise costs?
Don't have any sympathy for anyone if they get splattered due to their own stupidity and retarded ways. It's the innocents that suffer from their actions,or lack of. This is why we have a nanny state. The vast majority of retards can't think for themselves so authority has to do if for them. Wiping up a victim is cheaper than you think.
I think you should hang this statement up on your wall as your own little "Contribution of the Year" award

If there was a "vote for the jaw dropping diatribe statement from the 'ain't it though gov' club" .- yours is deffo up there.
[quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: Just over 2 grand in fixed penalties. I wonder how much the ops cost?[/p][/quote]I wonfer how much a "wiping up another victim" and closing the road for 10 hours exercise costs?[/p][/quote]Don't have any sympathy for anyone if they get splattered due to their own stupidity and retarded ways. It's the innocents that suffer from their actions,or lack of. This is why we have a nanny state. The vast majority of retards can't think for themselves so authority has to do if for them. Wiping up a victim is cheaper than you think.[/p][/quote]I think you should hang this statement up on your wall as your own little "Contribution of the Year" award If there was a "vote for the jaw dropping diatribe statement from the 'ain't it though gov' club" .- yours is deffo up there. scrumpyjack

8:27pm Tue 24 Dec 13

sprintervanman says...

41 Adults caught cycling without lights and 47 Adults driving caught over the drink driving limit in December.I guess that means the stupid's regardless of transport mode are pretty much the same.
41 Adults caught cycling without lights and 47 Adults driving caught over the drink driving limit in December.I guess that means the stupid's regardless of transport mode are pretty much the same. sprintervanman

10:47pm Tue 24 Dec 13

utciad says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
TheDistrict wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Another out of the butt comment. Anyone, motorist or cyclist will witness the number of cyclists riding around our roads without lights, earphones stuffed in their shell like ears, totally oblivious to what is going on, on the roads. I am thankful that I am vigilant, and aware of the crazy, suicidal cyclists on our roads. The very same people who no doubt complain about motorists. More should be done to ensure that they too abide by the Highway Code. These cyclists make it bad for those cyclists who do have lights, and ride aware of what is on the roads, and can hear traffic around them. 2% might be due to no lights, but 98% is down to undue care and attention on the roads, something we motorist can be charged for.
Another load of bollards, check the facts, well over half are the result of undue care and attention on the part of the vehicle driver.
Ah yes, like the idiot with no lights, dark clothes, and a death wish, who suddenly shot out from the pavement, right across the road to make a RIGHT turn from the LEFT pavement, at 11pm at night in a poorly lit Charminster backroad (Chatsworth if you must know!) no signals, and literally a yard from my front bumper. No matter HOW good a driver you are, how carefully you drive, you are NOT going to avoid an accident when idiots ride like that....
Fortunately, I was only doing about 15mph as I could see some sort of movement on the pavement...
When I sounded my horn at this idiot, all I got was a fist shaken at me...
and of course, as you so 'rightly' state, 'more than half are the result of UNDUE CARE AND ATTENTION OF CAR DRIVERS'?????

Maybe you need to spend a few hours with me, driving through the backstreets of Charminster, Winton, Moordown, Ensbury Park, etx, etc..
Always blame the car driver don't you?? FACTS may prove you wrong...
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheDistrict[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Another out of the butt comment. Anyone, motorist or cyclist will witness the number of cyclists riding around our roads without lights, earphones stuffed in their shell like ears, totally oblivious to what is going on, on the roads. I am thankful that I am vigilant, and aware of the crazy, suicidal cyclists on our roads. The very same people who no doubt complain about motorists. More should be done to ensure that they too abide by the Highway Code. These cyclists make it bad for those cyclists who do have lights, and ride aware of what is on the roads, and can hear traffic around them. 2% might be due to no lights, but 98% is down to undue care and attention on the roads, something we motorist can be charged for.[/p][/quote]Another load of bollards, check the facts, well over half are the result of undue care and attention on the part of the vehicle driver.[/p][/quote]Ah yes, like the idiot with no lights, dark clothes, and a death wish, who suddenly shot out from the pavement, right across the road to make a RIGHT turn from the LEFT pavement, at 11pm at night in a poorly lit Charminster backroad (Chatsworth if you must know!) no signals, and literally a yard from my front bumper. No matter HOW good a driver you are, how carefully you drive, you are NOT going to avoid an accident when idiots ride like that.... Fortunately, I was only doing about 15mph as I could see some sort of movement on the pavement... When I sounded my horn at this idiot, all I got was a fist shaken at me... and of course, as you so 'rightly' state, 'more than half are the result of UNDUE CARE AND ATTENTION OF CAR DRIVERS'????? Maybe you need to spend a few hours with me, driving through the backstreets of Charminster, Winton, Moordown, Ensbury Park, etx, etc.. Always blame the car driver don't you?? FACTS may prove you wrong... utciad

7:31am Wed 25 Dec 13

The-Bleeding-Obvious says...

poolebob wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
poolebob wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
Even if it is 2% then it's too many. So let's stop that 2% by getting cyclists to use lights.

But where do you get your figures from/
http://road.cc/conte


nt/news/12065-report


-dft-casualty-stats-


says-cyclists-not-bl


ame-93-cent-cases
You obviously haven't read the report and are quoting an article written in 2009.
The Report states that in 5% of fatal and 4% of serious accidents at night or in poor visibility having no lights was a contributory factor. For dark clothing at the figures were . 10% and 5% respectively.
Was reported in the guardian too http://www.theguardi
an.com/lifeandstyle/
2009/dec/15/cycling-
bike-accidents-study
#start-of-comments . Bet nothing has changed since 2009.
[quote][p][bold]poolebob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]poolebob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]Even if it is 2% then it's too many. So let's stop that 2% by getting cyclists to use lights. But where do you get your figures from/[/p][/quote]http://road.cc/conte nt/news/12065-report -dft-casualty-stats- says-cyclists-not-bl ame-93-cent-cases[/p][/quote]You obviously haven't read the report and are quoting an article written in 2009. The Report states that in 5% of fatal and 4% of serious accidents at night or in poor visibility having no lights was a contributory factor. For dark clothing at the figures were . 10% and 5% respectively.[/p][/quote]Was reported in the guardian too http://www.theguardi an.com/lifeandstyle/ 2009/dec/15/cycling- bike-accidents-study #start-of-comments . Bet nothing has changed since 2009. The-Bleeding-Obvious

11:17pm Wed 25 Dec 13

Goldbar says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
Starting to look too risky to ride!
Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.
what a load twaddle!!

Its high time bad cyclists and bad motorists / drivers were given the same harsh treatment.

if you ride like a pratt with no lights and ignore red traffic lights, deliberately cycle where you shouldn't I have no sympathay and deserve fines etc
Equally so if you drive or ride a motocycle like an irresponsible cretin with no regard for other road users or pedestrians then you deserve all the points and fines you get.
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Starting to look too risky to ride! Only 2% of cyclist accidents can be directly attributed to the cyclist not using lights. The main cause of cyclists death and injury is due to motorists not looking.[/p][/quote]what a load twaddle!! Its high time bad cyclists and bad motorists / drivers were given the same harsh treatment. if you ride like a pratt with no lights and ignore red traffic lights, deliberately cycle where you shouldn't I have no sympathay and deserve fines etc Equally so if you drive or ride a motocycle like an irresponsible cretin with no regard for other road users or pedestrians then you deserve all the points and fines you get. Goldbar

12:40am Fri 27 Dec 13

outlawselfinterest says...

Great result - well done for all involved in stopping some fools being unbelievably daft.

But even more staggering ~ that 23 adults chose to take a £50 fine rather than pay FAR less for a proper set of lights from Halfords .
Great result - well done for all involved in stopping some fools being unbelievably daft. But even more staggering ~ that 23 adults chose to take a £50 fine rather than pay FAR less for a proper set of lights from Halfords [or a similar shop]. outlawselfinterest

11:42am Fri 27 Dec 13

FNS-man says...

Oh dear. Maybe they should have spent their time stopping cars to check whether people are insured and licensed to drive. This would make the roads safer, rather than this pointless waste of time.

The level of ignorance displayed in these comments is amazing.
Oh dear. Maybe they should have spent their time stopping cars to check whether people are insured and licensed to drive. This would make the roads safer, rather than this pointless waste of time. The level of ignorance displayed in these comments is amazing. FNS-man

10:17am Sat 28 Dec 13

grazzer says...

sprintervanman says 41 cyclists caught without lights and 47 motorists caught drink driving in the same period.Even one drink driver is one too many but l wish to point out that there are millions more motorists than there are cyclists so the percentage of drink drivers is lower than the percentage of unlit cycles
sprintervanman says 41 cyclists caught without lights and 47 motorists caught drink driving in the same period.Even one drink driver is one too many but l wish to point out that there are millions more motorists than there are cyclists so the percentage of drink drivers is lower than the percentage of unlit cycles grazzer

2:19pm Sun 29 Dec 13

sprintervanman says...

grazzer wrote:
sprintervanman says 41 cyclists caught without lights and 47 motorists caught drink driving in the same period.Even one drink driver is one too many but l wish to point out that there are millions more motorists than there are cyclists so the percentage of drink drivers is lower than the percentage of unlit cycles
Agree totally in what you say regarding one drink driver is to many.In the same way it could be said that many more cyclists will slip through the net and will not be caught riding without lights as will many motorists make it back home whilst driving over the limit. Regardless of transport mode there are many selfish people on our Public roads who have no regard for others,just themselves......best wishes for the New Year grazer and to you all.
[quote][p][bold]grazzer[/bold] wrote: sprintervanman says 41 cyclists caught without lights and 47 motorists caught drink driving in the same period.Even one drink driver is one too many but l wish to point out that there are millions more motorists than there are cyclists so the percentage of drink drivers is lower than the percentage of unlit cycles[/p][/quote]Agree totally in what you say regarding one drink driver is to many.In the same way it could be said that many more cyclists will slip through the net and will not be caught riding without lights as will many motorists make it back home whilst driving over the limit. Regardless of transport mode there are many selfish people on our Public roads who have no regard for others,just themselves......best wishes for the New Year grazer and to you all. sprintervanman

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree