Mobility scooter users to be taught responsible driving skills at Boscombe event

Bournemouth Echo: MANOEUVRE: PC Dave Williams and All Mobility shop owner Mike Ruddick testing out their scooter skills at a similar event in Christchurch MANOEUVRE: PC Dave Williams and All Mobility shop owner Mike Ruddick testing out their scooter skills at a similar event in Christchurch

MOBILITY scooter users will be given advice on how to use their vehicles responsibly at a special event at Boscombe.

Police Community Support Officer Lewis Gilmore will be at the Sovereign shopping centre on Thursday explaining the relevant sections of the Highway Code and handing out leaflets, summarising its guidance.

The event will also feature free, professional mobility scooter servicing and repair, as well as the opportunity to discuss the local health and social care services available to mobility scooter users. Mobility scooters are a vital lifeline for many disabled residents but police are keen to ensure they are used responsibly.

A similar safety drive was launched in Christchurch after a hit-and-run incident last year, in which a 63-year-old woman was knocked to the floor by a mobility scooter rider.

And earlier this year, the Echo revealed how astonished motorists were forced to slam on their brakes after a man decided to take his dog for a walk tied to a mobility scooter.

He was spotted trundling along the busy A351 with his dog tied to the back of his vehicle.

The Highway Code states mobility scooters must never be used on motorways but can be used on unrestricted dual carriageways, although this is not advised.

It advises people to ride on the pavement wherever possible at a speed not exceeding 4mph and to give pedestrians priority. If driven on the road, riders should travel in the direction of traffic and take extra care. They are also obliged to follow the same rules about using lights, indicators and horns as other road vehicles.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:07am Wed 11 Dec 13

saynomore says...

The preferred tool of the chronic lazy in a lot of cases, gives a bad name for the ones who really need them.
The preferred tool of the chronic lazy in a lot of cases, gives a bad name for the ones who really need them. saynomore

11:35am Wed 11 Dec 13

Butterfly Collector says...

Should have to have insurance if they're allowed on the roads !
Should have to have insurance if they're allowed on the roads ! Butterfly Collector

12:00pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Huey says...

Trouble is most people I see on them these days aren't even disabled, just as fat as a house. They have just given up even bothering to stay in shape or attempting to walk.
Trouble is most people I see on them these days aren't even disabled, just as fat as a house. They have just given up even bothering to stay in shape or attempting to walk. Huey

12:18pm Wed 11 Dec 13

throatwarbler says...

So they have to give way to pedestrians on the pavement. Good stuff. Do they also have to give way to the multitudes of pavement cyclists? I only ask because i note that pavement cyclists don't have to give way to pedestrians.
So they have to give way to pedestrians on the pavement. Good stuff. Do they also have to give way to the multitudes of pavement cyclists? I only ask because i note that pavement cyclists don't have to give way to pedestrians. throatwarbler

12:29pm Wed 11 Dec 13

speedy231278 says...

There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.
There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it. speedy231278

12:40pm Wed 11 Dec 13

suzigirl says...

There is a woman mobility scooter rider on Ashley Road who is an absolute menace and has run over/squashed a few pedestrians LOL!
There is a woman mobility scooter rider on Ashley Road who is an absolute menace and has run over/squashed a few pedestrians LOL! suzigirl

12:53pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Butterfly Collector says...

I remember , after Jade's tragic accident, a lot of debate on whether 50cc mopeds should be on fast moving dual carriageways.
These things only do about 5mph, so you can imagine what carnage they could cause.
I remember , after Jade's tragic accident, a lot of debate on whether 50cc mopeds should be on fast moving dual carriageways. These things only do about 5mph, so you can imagine what carnage they could cause. Butterfly Collector

1:17pm Wed 11 Dec 13

ScoobyVic says...

I have to use a mobility scooter now due to heart problems, I'm always courteous to pedestrians and would never take it on the road as I don't think it's suitable. The ones that do go on roads do usually have a license plate and insurance (I've certainly seen one guy in Boscombe anyway) as far as I'm aware. I'd be lost without mine as I can't walk very far at all without being in pain and struggling to breathe. I don't 'look' disabled so no doubt I get judged too. It's illnesses like this that can lead to people becoming 'fat' as you say, because they can't excersise, so not everyone who is 'fat' and rides a mobility scooter is lazy. I do however think some people are complete menaces and ride way to fast on their mobility scooter, let's hope they attend this and learn how to use it properly.
I have to use a mobility scooter now due to heart problems, I'm always courteous to pedestrians and would never take it on the road as I don't think it's suitable. The ones that do go on roads do usually have a license plate and insurance (I've certainly seen one guy in Boscombe anyway) as far as I'm aware. I'd be lost without mine as I can't walk very far at all without being in pain and struggling to breathe. I don't 'look' disabled so no doubt I get judged too. It's illnesses like this that can lead to people becoming 'fat' as you say, because they can't excersise, so not everyone who is 'fat' and rides a mobility scooter is lazy. I do however think some people are complete menaces and ride way to fast on their mobility scooter, let's hope they attend this and learn how to use it properly. ScoobyVic

1:27pm Wed 11 Dec 13

scrumpyjack says...

speedy231278 wrote:
There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.
There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice?

Must try harder,
[quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.[/p][/quote]There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder, scrumpyjack

1:54pm Wed 11 Dec 13

BIGTONE says...

I've seen a better drive in a blind golfer....
I've seen a better drive in a blind golfer.... BIGTONE

2:09pm Wed 11 Dec 13

suzigirl says...

scrumpyjack wrote:
speedy231278 wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.
There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder,
The law is the law!
[quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.[/p][/quote]There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder,[/p][/quote]The law is the law! suzigirl

3:22pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Ash_69 says...

suzigirl wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
speedy231278 wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.
There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder,
The law is the law!
So remember that Motorcyclists!
[quote][p][bold]suzigirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.[/p][/quote]There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder,[/p][/quote]The law is the law![/p][/quote]So remember that Motorcyclists! Ash_69

4:10pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Huey says...

ScoobyVic wrote:
I have to use a mobility scooter now due to heart problems, I'm always courteous to pedestrians and would never take it on the road as I don't think it's suitable. The ones that do go on roads do usually have a license plate and insurance (I've certainly seen one guy in Boscombe anyway) as far as I'm aware. I'd be lost without mine as I can't walk very far at all without being in pain and struggling to breathe. I don't 'look' disabled so no doubt I get judged too. It's illnesses like this that can lead to people becoming 'fat' as you say, because they can't excersise, so not everyone who is 'fat' and rides a mobility scooter is lazy. I do however think some people are complete menaces and ride way to fast on their mobility scooter, let's hope they attend this and learn how to use it properly.
If you can't exercise, then you don't need to eat so much. No excuse for being fat, it will only make worse any other health issues.
[quote][p][bold]ScoobyVic[/bold] wrote: I have to use a mobility scooter now due to heart problems, I'm always courteous to pedestrians and would never take it on the road as I don't think it's suitable. The ones that do go on roads do usually have a license plate and insurance (I've certainly seen one guy in Boscombe anyway) as far as I'm aware. I'd be lost without mine as I can't walk very far at all without being in pain and struggling to breathe. I don't 'look' disabled so no doubt I get judged too. It's illnesses like this that can lead to people becoming 'fat' as you say, because they can't excersise, so not everyone who is 'fat' and rides a mobility scooter is lazy. I do however think some people are complete menaces and ride way to fast on their mobility scooter, let's hope they attend this and learn how to use it properly.[/p][/quote]If you can't exercise, then you don't need to eat so much. No excuse for being fat, it will only make worse any other health issues. Huey

4:23pm Wed 11 Dec 13

retry69 says...

I have it on good authority that from January 1st 2014 the twin sails bridge will only be used by mobility scooters and cyclists, that news,might cheer some of the miserable bastards up :)
I have it on good authority that from January 1st 2014 the twin sails bridge will only be used by mobility scooters and cyclists, that news,might cheer some of the miserable bastards up :) retry69

4:59pm Wed 11 Dec 13

suzigirl says...

Ash_69 wrote:
suzigirl wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
speedy231278 wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.
There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder,
The law is the law!
So remember that Motorcyclists!
Dont see many motorcyclists using the pavement instead of the road???
[quote][p][bold]Ash_69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]suzigirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.[/p][/quote]There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder,[/p][/quote]The law is the law![/p][/quote]So remember that Motorcyclists![/p][/quote]Dont see many motorcyclists using the pavement instead of the road??? suzigirl

5:31pm Wed 11 Dec 13

SeafaringMan says...

Ash_69 wrote:
suzigirl wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
speedy231278 wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.
There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder,
The law is the law!
So remember that Motorcyclists!
What the F£%k has this got to do with Mobility Scooters?
[quote][p][bold]Ash_69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]suzigirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]speedy231278[/bold] wrote: There is no requirement for cyclists to give way to pedestrians on a footpath because the Highway Code states very clearly you MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. EVER. Unless the pavement has a cyclepath painted on it.[/p][/quote]There have been quite a few stories about crashes and deaths on our roads (both to human and animals) involving cars and lorries - disappointingly you and throatwarbler appear not to have managed to shoe horn your anti-cyclist agenda into those threads I notice? Must try harder,[/p][/quote]The law is the law![/p][/quote]So remember that Motorcyclists![/p][/quote]What the F£%k has this got to do with Mobility Scooters? SeafaringMan

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree