When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
V club: we won't tolerate poorly managed venues, say police
BOURNEMOUTH’S police inspector says the decision to revoke V Club’s licence sends out a clear message that poorly managed venues will not be tolerated.
The nightclub has been closed since February 12 after an incident in which Ben Selby, 29, was slashed across the face in a knife attack.
- Sex in the hot tub and a violent stabbing - shut-down V Club was an "accident waiting to happen"
- D-day: Future of V Club to be decided on Thursday
- V club will be run "properly and professionally" says new owner
- V Club knife attack: "The staff did nothing to help"
- V Club shut down by council after man injured in knife fight
In the wake of the incident Dorset Police called for an urgent review and its licence was suspended.
On Thursday councillors voted to formally revoke it and Cllr Andrew Morgan, chairman of the licensing board, said the decision was taken due to difficult clientele, a complicated venue and poor management.
Speaking to the Daily Echo, Inspector Dean O’Connor said: “Dorset Police support the decision to revoke the premises licence for V Club. This demonstrates our commitment to make Bournemouth town centre safer and tackle poorly managed premises which cause crime and disorder.
“We will continue to work with well managed premises to make Bournemouth safe and enjoyable.”
Sgt Steve Lyne, who attended the hearing, said: “This will continue to drive alcohol-related violent crime down in the town centre and so far this year it has dropped by 35 per cent.
“This should send a message to other licensed premises that we will not tolerate those which risk the safety of residents and visitors to the town centre.”