Wimborne home badly damaged after blaze started by unattended candles

A FIRE broke out after the occupant of a Wimborne house knocked over some candles while distracted by cooking.

Smoke from the blaze severely damaged the semi-detached home and spread to the adjoining house.

Dorset Fire and Rescue service received several 999 calls about the blaze in Ethelbert Road.

Two fire engines from Wimborne were sent to the scene and firefighters found smoke issuing from the home. They requested back-up from a third fire engine from Poole.

Red Cross volunteers manning the fire and emergency support service vehicle from Springbourne fire station were also sent to offer shelter and support to the occupants of the house.

The fire service said the fire had been started by unattended candles. It said the occupier had been distracted by cooking and had knocked over the candles, which ignited bedding and a roller blind.

It said there were no batteries in the home’s smoke alarm.

A spokesman said: “It is vital that batteries are installed, changed once a year and smoke alarms are tested once a week.”

He said the service’s Test it Tuesday campaign was aimed at helping people remember to check their smoke alarms.

Dorset Fire and Rescue will be targeting the area, offering free home fire safety advice.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:02am Mon 4 Mar 13

BIGTONE says...

He said the service’s Test it Tuesday campaign was aimed at helping people remember to check their smoke alarms.


Make sure you become a TiT person :o)
It could save your life!
He said the service’s Test it Tuesday campaign was aimed at helping people remember to check their smoke alarms. Make sure you become a TiT person :o) It could save your life! BIGTONE
  • Score: 0

9:13am Mon 4 Mar 13

Teddy 1 says...

I hope the permission of the householder was sought before the fire service went to the press! I would have been a bit annoyed had they used any misfortune of mine to justify media jobs!

Bigtone, love the comment...another badly thought out campaign by the fire service. Love it!!
I hope the permission of the householder was sought before the fire service went to the press! I would have been a bit annoyed had they used any misfortune of mine to justify media jobs! Bigtone, love the comment...another badly thought out campaign by the fire service. Love it!! Teddy 1
  • Score: 0

9:14am Mon 4 Mar 13

Teddy 1 says...

...and probable call out payments...
...and probable call out payments... Teddy 1
  • Score: 0

9:19am Mon 4 Mar 13

Dorset Mitch says...

Teddy 1 wrote:
I hope the permission of the householder was sought before the fire service went to the press! I would have been a bit annoyed had they used any misfortune of mine to justify media jobs! Bigtone, love the comment...another badly thought out campaign by the fire service. Love it!!
They don't give any details about the homeowner, just the cause and the standard advice. Why do they need permission? Yeah stupid Fire Service running a campaign to remind people to test their smoke alarm, what muppets!
[quote][p][bold]Teddy 1[/bold] wrote: I hope the permission of the householder was sought before the fire service went to the press! I would have been a bit annoyed had they used any misfortune of mine to justify media jobs! Bigtone, love the comment...another badly thought out campaign by the fire service. Love it!![/p][/quote]They don't give any details about the homeowner, just the cause and the standard advice. Why do they need permission? Yeah stupid Fire Service running a campaign to remind people to test their smoke alarm, what muppets! Dorset Mitch
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree