Drug addict attacked man, 64, in his Boscombe home

ATTACKER: Wayne Macpherson

ATTACKER: Wayne Macpherson

First published in News by

A 64-YEAR-OLD man has described his terrifying ordeal when he was attacked by a drug-crazed raider in his own home.

Robert Hunt was strangled, tied up and had a knife pressed against his throat by his attacker, who told him: “I will kill you if I don’t get what I want.”

Frightened Mr Hunt was dragged around his home in Parkwood Road, Boscombe by Wayne Macpherson, who demanded cash and gold.

Bournemouth Crown Court was told Mr Hunt was left traumatised by his ordeal.

In a victim impact statement, he said: “The incident has had a profound impact on me. I can’t understand why this man used so much violence against me.

“I am an older man and I am quite frail. I offered no resistance. I was terrified and I genuinely thought he was going to kill me.

“I believed I would be dead by the end of it all. I feel completely devastated by the attack and I can’t stop thinking about it. I feel scared a lot of the time.”

Macpherson, 28, cried in the dock as details of the attack, which took place at 9.30am on October 11 last year, were outlined.

He admitted aggravated burglary and was jailed for six years with an additional four-year extended sentence.

Prosecuting, Anita Gibson-Lee said Mr Hunt was in his bedroom when Macpherson, of unknown address, approached him.

“He pushed him on to his back and knelt over him, pressing a knife into his neck. He strangled him with both hands around his neck,” she said.

“Mr Hunt tried to scream but he was choking. He took the cord from Mr Hunt’s dressing gown and put it around his wrists.

Miss Gibson-Lee said the 25-minute ordeal only came to an end when Mr Hunt fled into the garden, clambered over a fence and shouted for help in the street.

Items stolen included cash, mobile phones, laptops and a watch. Macpherson left behind a used needle which helped to identify him as the offender.

Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers.

“He is now profoundly sorry. He is not unaware of the harm he has done to himself and to others. He bears the enormous cross of the harm that was done to him.”

Sentencing, Judge Samuel Wiggs acknowledged Macpherson had “suffered at the hands of others” but added: “None of that excuses the violent and vicious conduct which you unleashed on that day on an elderly man in his own home.”

Judge Wiggs said Macpherson had been identified as a high risk to others.

After the case DC Steve May of Dorset Police said: “It was a harrowing incident and the elderly victim has been extremely traumatised. “Macpherson is a dangerous man. The sentence reflects the severity of the crime.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:05pm Wed 30 Jan 13

chris100 says...

hahahahahahaha best news ive heard for ages hope u rot in jail wayne
hahahahahahaha best news ive heard for ages hope u rot in jail wayne chris100
  • Score: 5

2:08pm Wed 30 Jan 13

BIGTONE says...

Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers.



That's ok then.
Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers. That's ok then. BIGTONE
  • Score: 4

2:31pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Yorkie Cherry says...

About time a sentence that actually meets the crime. No doubt will be let out in 18 months like other serious offenders!
About time a sentence that actually meets the crime. No doubt will be let out in 18 months like other serious offenders! Yorkie Cherry
  • Score: 6

2:51pm Wed 30 Jan 13

BournemouthMum says...

“He is now profoundly sorry.." Yes I bet he is - sorry he got caught!
“He is now profoundly sorry.." Yes I bet he is - sorry he got caught! BournemouthMum
  • Score: 6

3:36pm Wed 30 Jan 13

beachcomber1 says...

4 replies on this, 38 on the bike thread?!? even though 2.5hr later i'd've expected this to overtake the other one, given the headline content contains everything needed to provoke a Pavlovian response from Echo readers.
4 replies on this, 38 on the bike thread?!? even though 2.5hr later i'd've expected this to overtake the other one, given the headline content contains everything needed to provoke a Pavlovian response from Echo readers. beachcomber1
  • Score: 0

4:21pm Wed 30 Jan 13

chris100 says...

BIGTONE wrote:
Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers.



That's ok then.
he got around 40k for that and done the lot on drink and drugs

he is just a dirty little junkie who has got other people hooked on smack crack and meth and would rob anyone to get his gear or do anything to get money for it
he has even been in jail in south africa for robbery
its just a shame they didnt throw away the key
[quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers. That's ok then.[/p][/quote]he got around 40k for that and done the lot on drink and drugs he is just a dirty little junkie who has got other people hooked on smack crack and meth and would rob anyone to get his gear or do anything to get money for it he has even been in jail in south africa for robbery its just a shame they didnt throw away the key chris100
  • Score: 6

6:01pm Wed 30 Jan 13

manyogie says...

beachcomber1 wrote:
4 replies on this, 38 on the bike thread?!? even though 2.5hr later i'd've expected this to overtake the other one, given the headline content contains everything needed to provoke a Pavlovian response from Echo readers.
whats a cream, strawberry and merangue dessert got to do with this
[quote][p][bold]beachcomber1[/bold] wrote: 4 replies on this, 38 on the bike thread?!? even though 2.5hr later i'd've expected this to overtake the other one, given the headline content contains everything needed to provoke a Pavlovian response from Echo readers.[/p][/quote]whats a cream, strawberry and merangue dessert got to do with this manyogie
  • Score: -1

6:16pm Wed 30 Jan 13

BIGTONE says...

chris100 wrote:
BIGTONE wrote:
Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers.



That's ok then.
he got around 40k for that and done the lot on drink and drugs

he is just a dirty little junkie who has got other people hooked on smack crack and meth and would rob anyone to get his gear or do anything to get money for it
he has even been in jail in south africa for robbery
its just a shame they didnt throw away the key
He will have to watch his own crack now.
[quote][p][bold]chris100[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers. That's ok then.[/p][/quote]he got around 40k for that and done the lot on drink and drugs he is just a dirty little junkie who has got other people hooked on smack crack and meth and would rob anyone to get his gear or do anything to get money for it he has even been in jail in south africa for robbery its just a shame they didnt throw away the key[/p][/quote]He will have to watch his own crack now. BIGTONE
  • Score: 6

7:03pm Wed 30 Jan 13

nobbjockie says...

Hopefully he will become somebodys **** in the jailhouse that will bring bigger tears to his eyes.......thats what happens to scroats who beat up old un's when they get inside....so watch out you big brave junkies who cry like little girls when they are caught!
Hopefully he will become somebodys **** in the jailhouse that will bring bigger tears to his eyes.......thats what happens to scroats who beat up old un's when they get inside....so watch out you big brave junkies who cry like little girls when they are caught! nobbjockie
  • Score: 3

9:48pm Wed 30 Jan 13

chris100 says...

BIGTONE wrote:
chris100 wrote:
BIGTONE wrote:
Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers.



That's ok then.
he got around 40k for that and done the lot on drink and drugs

he is just a dirty little junkie who has got other people hooked on smack crack and meth and would rob anyone to get his gear or do anything to get money for it
he has even been in jail in south africa for robbery
its just a shame they didnt throw away the key
He will have to watch his own crack now.
he use to rent his out so it wouldnt bother him
[quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]chris100[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BIGTONE[/bold] wrote: Defending, Brian Sharman said Macpherson had a troubled background and was “out of his head on drugs” at the time. He added: “He has suffered greatly at the hands of abusers. That's ok then.[/p][/quote]he got around 40k for that and done the lot on drink and drugs he is just a dirty little junkie who has got other people hooked on smack crack and meth and would rob anyone to get his gear or do anything to get money for it he has even been in jail in south africa for robbery its just a shame they didnt throw away the key[/p][/quote]He will have to watch his own crack now.[/p][/quote]he use to rent his out so it wouldnt bother him chris100
  • Score: 3

10:11pm Wed 30 Jan 13

s-pb2 says...

In crimes like this the perpetrator should be forced to pay compensation to his victim, and also the police should charge him a fine for nicking him. Until he pays those compensations, he will not be let out of prison
In crimes like this the perpetrator should be forced to pay compensation to his victim, and also the police should charge him a fine for nicking him. Until he pays those compensations, he will not be let out of prison s-pb2
  • Score: 1

10:14pm Wed 30 Jan 13

chris100 says...

s-pb2 wrote:
In crimes like this the perpetrator should be forced to pay compensation to his victim, and also the police should charge him a fine for nicking him. Until he pays those compensations, he will not be let out of prison
your right s-pb2 shame the judge cant order him to repay the compo he got
[quote][p][bold]s-pb2[/bold] wrote: In crimes like this the perpetrator should be forced to pay compensation to his victim, and also the police should charge him a fine for nicking him. Until he pays those compensations, he will not be let out of prison[/p][/quote]your right s-pb2 shame the judge cant order him to repay the compo he got chris100
  • Score: 2

5:45am Thu 31 Jan 13

Loyal2AFCB says...

I would be interested to know just how many of these druggies are natives of the area and how many have moved in from other parts of the country.
I would be interested to know just how many of these druggies are natives of the area and how many have moved in from other parts of the country. Loyal2AFCB
  • Score: 2

8:40am Thu 31 Jan 13

djd says...

Loyal2AFCB wrote:
I would be interested to know just how many of these druggies are natives of the area and how many have moved in from other parts of the country.
Too many and too many.
[quote][p][bold]Loyal2AFCB[/bold] wrote: I would be interested to know just how many of these druggies are natives of the area and how many have moved in from other parts of the country.[/p][/quote]Too many and too many. djd
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree