Steve Cook trial: footballers took pictures as a “record of their conquest”

4:05pm Friday 25th January 2013

A TEAM-mate of four footballers accused of assaulting a woman in a hotel room has told a court he was shown a graphic photograph.

The four defendants, including current AFC Bournemouth player Steve Cook, 21 deny sexual assault and voyeurism.

The men were all members of Brighton and Hove Albion at the time and had been out celebrating their susses in the Sussex Senior Cup in July 2011.

Team-mate Ben Sampayo, 20, told the Old Bailey he had fallen asleep in the room where the footballers were with a 19-year-old woman who had been with them at a club.

He said he had just opened his eyes when one of the players showed him the graphic picture on a mobile phone.

The defender said: “A team mate came up to my bed. I don’t remember who it was. He showed me a photo. I think it was on a mobile phone.”

He had gone back to sleep but woke again to find the girl awake.

“She seemed fine,” he added.

Mr Sampayo remembered a group walking to the Jury’s Inn Hotel, Brighton, with the woman in the early hours.

At the Old Bailey, Brighton players Anton Rodgers, 19, Lewis Dunk, 21, and George Barker, 21, and former team-mate Cook deny the charges against them.

The prosecution says the players assaulted the drunken woman when she was asleep and took pictures as a “record of their conquest”.

Mr Sampayo said he had been drinking and had little or no recollection.

He had been interviewed by police after being arrested with the others in January last year. He was not been charged but five months later was summoned to the magistrates’ court and was ordered to make a statement.

The case continues.

Back

© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Bournemouth Echo: site_logo http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/trade_directory/