TWO women were given oxygen by firefighters on Saturday night after a fire started in a bedroom.

Crews from Springbourne and Christchurch were called to Shelley Road East, Boscombe, at around 11.30pm.

The fire, which was in a first floor bedroom, was out when they arrived.

The two women had suffered from smoke inhalation.

A fire service spokesman said an unattended candle started the fire and that the occupants were alerted by a smoke alarm.

The spokesman reminded people to check their smoke alarms were working regularly.