When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Football: Bashley's takeover talks to continue over the weekend
CHAIRMAN Mike Cranidge revealed crisis club Bashley could be saved by a three-strong consortium – despite members voting to fold the club last night.
The cash-strapped Southern League strugglers overwhelmingly passed a motion to dissolve the New Forest outfit on April 30 should talks with prospective backers come to nothing.
Twenty of the club’s 38 members attended the extraordinary general meeting (EGM) with 18 voting to close at the end of the season unless someone steps into Cranidge’s shoes. There were two abstentions.
However, the Bash chief said “positive negotiations” were ongoing with the trio, who have experience of running of a Southern League club, and that he hoped to add the group to the club’s committee within a matter of days, subject to successful talks over the weekend.
On the possible takeover, Cranidge, who politely declined to name the interested parties, told the Daily Echo: “If everyone is happy, they will be co-opted into the executive until the end of the season.
"From there, they will have to be formally voted in at the AGM (annual general meeting) in the summer to take up more formal positions.
“We are at a very delicate stage but everything is very positive at the moment. We have two or three commercial sponsors lined up on the premise we can get the executive sorted out.”
To aid its short-term future, the club has set up a Just Giving page with a target of £5,000 to help Bash see out the season. So far, £3,233 has been pledged by 44 people.
Cranidge added: “We are very grateful. It is a sign people from our community and the wider football family want us to survive.”
Donations can be made at: www.justgiving.com/yimby/savebashleyfc/
Comments are closed on this article.