THE RSPCA is warning pet owners of the dangers of anti-freeze after a cat died in Bournemouth.

Silver-haired tabby Tiggy, disappeared from his home in Viscount Walk, Bournemouth earlier this month.

Sadly he was found collapsed two days later and died.

A vet has confirmed Tiggy was poisoned by antifreeze although it has not yet been confirmed if it was due to a deliberate act of cruelty.

Now the RSPCA is warning other cat owners of the dangers of antifreeze poisoning.

“It is possible that some people are simply unaware of the potential hazards to animals when they pour antifreeze away or store it incorrectly,” said RSPCA inspector Jo Story.

“Similarly we cannot rule out that this was a deliberate act of cruelty and would ask anyone who has information to this effect to contact us immediately. Whatever the circumstances we want to warn all cat owners of the dangers of antifreeze poisoning,” she added.

The RSPCA is urging people who think their cat has been poisoned to take it to a vet immediately and if possible, take a sample of what the cat has eaten or drunk.

The maximum penalty for someone found guilty of poisoning a cat could be up to six months imprisonment or a fine of up to £20,000.

Anyone with information about the incident are urged to contact 0300 123 8018.

Antifreeze poisoning: know the signs

Signs of antifreeze poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

Symptoms include

  • Vomiting
  • Seeming depressed or sleepy
  • Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
  • Seizures
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urination