Woman injured in blast horror at Camp Bestival campsite in gas cylinder warning

Georgina Chalmers in hospital

Georgina Chalmers is lucky to be alive after the accident

Georgina Chalmers suffered severe burns in the accident

First published in News
Last updated
by

A WOMAN who sustained severe burns after a gas cylinder exploded at Camp Bestival is warning others about the potential dangers. 

Georgina Chalmers required surgery for the 28 per cent burns which covered her body after the accident on August 1 last year, but said she nevertheless felt lucky to have survived.

The 27-year-old was running a trade stall at the popular Lulworth festival with her friends Felix and Jenny, and the three were making lunch with a cooking stove outside their tent when things started to go wrong.  

“The gas cylinder I had didn’t have a safety valve, but because I had bought it from a shop I assumed it would be safe,” she said.

“I pierced the top and the gas started coming out, but I couldn’t get the clip to fit to stop it.

“It all happened very quickly, we were in a sort of calm panic. Then the gas started coming out really fast so we got up to run, but it was ignited by another stove nearby and exploded.”

Bournemouth Echo:

The exploding cylinder, which was only 8cm in diameter, created a fireball which rose above the tents and left Ms Chalmers and her friends with burns.

The blaze was extinguished by the on-site firefighters, and she was air-lifted to Bristol Hospital for treatment. She was later transferred to Stoke Mandeville, nearer her home in Milton Keynes.

Now, she bears the physical scars and trauma from the accident, and feels unable to expose her skin on a hot day.

“The emergency services and all the people in the other tents were fantastic, and I am very lucky to be alive, had I been inhaling the gas when it caught fire it would have been a very different story,” she said.

“With the anniversary coming up, and people starting to go out and enjoy the hot weather and festivals I wanted to warn people to make sure they get a gas cylinder with a safety valve.

“Since I had my accident I have heard of lots of other occasions where the same thing has happened.

“It may cost a bit more to buy one with a safety valve, but you can’t put a price on life.”

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:11pm Fri 11 Jul 14

twynham says...

Similar thing happened to me once when backpacking cylinders had no valves, and that was with 25 years camping experience at the time.
Still keep the melted flysheet over my current camping gear as a reminder.
Similar thing happened to me once when backpacking cylinders had no valves, and that was with 25 years camping experience at the time. Still keep the melted flysheet over my current camping gear as a reminder. twynham
  • Score: 4

2:10pm Fri 11 Jul 14

BarrHumbug says...

If the danger is so common i'm surprised they are allowed to be sold without safety valves?
If the danger is so common i'm surprised they are allowed to be sold without safety valves? BarrHumbug
  • Score: 9

3:17pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

Also, never take a semi extinguished barbecue into your tent if you want to wake up the next day, alive.
It will produce carbon monoxide for up to 12 hours after it appears to have burnt out.

Use water to fully put it out and leave it outside.

Of course , if you are planning on suicide and wish for an easy peaceful
death then ignore all my advice above.

The article below explains the dangers........

http://www.theguardi
an.com/lifeandstyle/
2013/jul/20/experien
ce-partner-killed-by
-barbecue
Also, never take a semi extinguished barbecue into your tent if you want to wake up the next day, alive. It will produce carbon monoxide for up to 12 hours after it appears to have burnt out. Use water to fully put it out and leave it outside. Of course , if you are planning on suicide and wish for an easy peaceful death then ignore all my advice above. The article below explains the dangers........ http://www.theguardi an.com/lifeandstyle/ 2013/jul/20/experien ce-partner-killed-by -barbecue Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 6

6:39pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Avengerboy says...

Photos of the devices they are on about might help.
Photos of the devices they are on about might help. Avengerboy
  • Score: 6

10:27am Sat 12 Jul 14

whataboutthat says...

Avengerboy wrote:
Photos of the devices they are on about might help.
Camping Gaz 'blue it' stoves I think. They are pierced when connected to the stove head and so the head becomes the valve. They are truly horrible stoves and there are better and much safe screw thread propane models on the market.
[quote][p][bold]Avengerboy[/bold] wrote: Photos of the devices they are on about might help.[/p][/quote]Camping Gaz 'blue it' stoves I think. They are pierced when connected to the stove head and so the head becomes the valve. They are truly horrible stoves and there are better and much safe screw thread propane models on the market. whataboutthat
  • Score: 2

10:39pm Sat 12 Jul 14

mythoughts! says...

Sir Beachy Head wrote:
Also, never take a semi extinguished barbecue into your tent if you want to wake up the next day, alive.
It will produce carbon monoxide for up to 12 hours after it appears to have burnt out.

Use water to fully put it out and leave it outside.

Of course , if you are planning on suicide and wish for an easy peaceful
death then ignore all my advice above.

The article below explains the dangers........

http://www.theguardi

an.com/lifeandstyle/

2013/jul/20/experien

ce-partner-killed-by

-barbecue
Shocking story. Thanks for sharing the link
[quote][p][bold]Sir Beachy Head[/bold] wrote: Also, never take a semi extinguished barbecue into your tent if you want to wake up the next day, alive. It will produce carbon monoxide for up to 12 hours after it appears to have burnt out. Use water to fully put it out and leave it outside. Of course , if you are planning on suicide and wish for an easy peaceful death then ignore all my advice above. The article below explains the dangers........ http://www.theguardi an.com/lifeandstyle/ 2013/jul/20/experien ce-partner-killed-by -barbecue[/p][/quote]Shocking story. Thanks for sharing the link mythoughts!
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree