WIMBORNE Town survived an early scare to secure the Southern League Division One South title with a 3-1 win away at Melksham Town.

Ben Brooks gave the hosts a fourth minute lead but Wimborne answered back after quarter of an hour; Harry Baker equalising.

Shortly before the hour mark Sam Roberts put Magpies ahead, before Harry Morgan started the celebrations with his goal that secured the result with 12 minutes remaining.

Heading into the fixture Magpies knew that a win would guarantee the league title and promotion.

There was also the added security that Wimborne only had to match their nearest rivals Frome’s result, the Robins going on to draw 3-3 at home to Bristol Manor Farm.

Manager Tim Sills went for fire power up top, listing three strikers – Jack Lovell and Baker lining up alongside AFC Bournemouth loanee Jonny Stuttle.

But despite the strength up top, it was Melksham who would take the lead.

Albert Hopkins took the ball down before beating his man, centring the ball for Brooks to tuck past Ross Flitney in the Wimborne goal.

Moments later news from Frome’s game came through, the Robins taking an early lead.

Wimborne got their heads down in search of an equaliser.

They would find it 10 minutes after going behind, Stuttle’s cross eventually turned home by Baker amidst a goalmouth scramble.

A further update from the Frome game told the 1,124 in attendance that Bristol Manor Farm had restored parity, putting Wimborne back on top of the pile.

But Magpies looked to make sure of matters, rather than rely on results elsewhere.

Billy Walker saw a header cleared off the line, but Melksham proved they were not yet out of the contest when Brooks forced a good save out of Flitney from 25 yards.

Wimborne would have to wait until the second period to take the lead.

Oakley Hanger swung a corner in towards the box; Roberts on hand to nod home and put Wimborne ahead for the first time.

12 minutes from time, Magpies would make sure of the result. Slipped in by Lewis Beale, Morgan’s effort ended up in the back of a net via a deflection, guaranteeing Wimborne’s first league title since finishing first in the Wessex League back in 2000.

Late on club captain Scott Arnold was introduced off the bench to match Jamie Sturgess’ appearance record for the club, the pair now level on 616 games in black and white.

Magpies: Flitney, Hanger (Arnold, 87), Walker, Roberts, Jackson, Scorey, Griffin, Morgan, Baker (Beale, 64), Stuttle (Munn, 78), Lovell.

Unused subs: Bedford, Carmichael.