POOLE Town secured their position in the Southern League Premier South with a game to spare following a 2-0 victory over bottom side Didcot Town.

Harvey Slade gave Poole a first-half lead before substitute Ky Samadi doubled the hosts’ advantage 20 minutes from time in the second period.

In an season of mass turnover Dolphins’ pre-season ambitions of promotion gave way to fears of relegation, their fourth manager of the campaign Steve Tully finding a strong run of form to preserve Poole’s seventh-tier status.

Unbeaten for three consecutive games for the first time since January, Tully made two changes to the side held in a 2-2 draw by Plymouth Parkway in midweek.

Tyler Forbes dropped out following injury, with Cam Murray replacing the British Virgin Islands international.

Captain Jamie Whisken also returned, replacing Harry Hutchinson in defence.

Dolphins controlled proceedings without creating too many dangerous opportunities.

Declan Rose found Wes Fogden, the veteran’s dinked effort floating over the bar.

Toby Holmes was released through on goal but was stopped by a last-ditch tackle from Didcot’s Luke Carnell.

Poole would find their opener on 26 minutes.

An Alefe Santos corner was perfectly weighted for Slade to attack the ball and head past Leigh Bedwell in the Didcot goal.

The away side were dealt with well by the Poole defence; Didcot unable to get a shot off in the first half.

They would find their shooting boots in the second period, but Poole just about snuffed out the danger.

Dolphins would double their lead on 70 minutes. Holmes’ initial effort was saved, but the rebound fell to Samadi to tuck home.

Poole keeper Max Evans preserved his clean sheet with a fine save to stop Patrick Osborne’s free-kick.

Sat in 13th with a six-point gap over Hayes & Yeading in the final relegation spot, Dolphins are now mathematically safe.

Dolphins: Evans; Rose, Staunton, Whisken, Wright; Murray, Fogden (Tshaka, 58), Lowes (Samadi, 58); Santos (Scrimshaw, 58), Slade, Holmes.

Unused subs: Hutchinson, Zouma.