WIMBORNE Town missed out on the chance to secure the Southern League Division One South title, drawing 1-1 with second-placed Frome.

Magpies entered the fixture knowing that a win would be enough to secure the title, and with it, promotion.

Frome had drawn away to play-off candidates Larkhall Athletic in midweek, leaving Wimborne two points clear at the summit - with a game in had over the Robins.

All the goalscoring action was consigned to the second period, James Ollis’ opener cancelled out by Harry Morgan in front of a record crowd at New Cuthbury. 

The first half was not exactly cagey, as neither side looked particularly uncomfortable, but there was little in the way of chances as both sides kicked balls and clearances long.

A neat one-two between Matty Neale and Sam Griffin released the former, Wimborne forcing a low stop from Kyle Phillips at the near post.

Magpies’ next chance would take a while to come around.

Cherries youngster Jonny Stuttle was bundled over on the edge of the area; Harry Morgan’s free kick bending just the wrong side of the top left corner. 

Morgan would go close again at the start of the second period. 

A blocked cross fell to the midfielder inside the box, his bouncing effort kept out by the midriff of Phillips and smacked clear before Wimborne could follow in.

Wimborne were now getting into the flow of things.

Stuttle laid off the ball to Neale outside the box, the latter trying his luck from range and rasping the palms of Phillips.

Shortly after Neale wanted a free-kick on the edge of the area, his appeals falling of deaf ears as Griffin saw a curled finish deflected wide for a corner.

Despite Wimborne’s increased output of chances, it would be Frome who would open the scores.

A corner found the head of Ollis, who flashed the ball past Ross Flitney despite the goalie getting a glove to the effort.

Manager Tim Sills turned to his bench in order to change the game.

On came Lewis Beale and Jack Lovell at the expense of Griffin and Neale, Sills using the plethora of attacking options available among his subs.

Wimborne thought they had an equaliser with around 15 minutes remaining.

Oakley Hanger flung in a free kick, finding defender Sam Roberts who headed home - from an offside position, invalidating the goal.

In the final 10 minutes the game was paused after home supporters started chucking empty drink containers at Frome players as they awaited a corner.

When it was eventually taken, Wimborne found their equaliser.

Hanger’s corner came towards the near post, allowing Morgan to nod past Phillips and restore parity. 

The pair almost combined for another moments later.

This time Hanger sent a free kick towards Morgan, the attacker unable to get a connection to steer the ball goalwards.

Magpies could not find a winner even with six additional minutes, meaning the champagne remained on ice.

Wimborne still control their own destiny - with one victory from their upcoming away trips to Tavistock and Melksham enough to guarantee the league title. 

Magpies: Flitney; Hanger, Walker, Roberts, Jackson; Neale (Lovell, 71), Scorey, Bedford, Griffin (Beale, 65), Morgan; Stuttle.

Unused subs: Munn, Baker, Carmichael. 

Attendance: 2,307.