WIMBORNE Town successfully negotiated what could have been a bump in the road to promotion as they came from behind to beat Paulton Rovers 2-1 with 10 men.

Leo Eglin had given the away side the lead inside five minutes at New Cuthbury, with Cherries youngster Jonny Stuttle restoring parity just before the half-hour mark.

However, further complications for Magpies arose when Sam Griffin was dismissed just before the break.

However, Tim Sills’ charges kept on pushing, finding a winner 10 minutes from time through defender Connor Cocklin.

To the shock of the home crowd, relegation-threatened Paulton scored the game’s first goal.

Leighton Thomas did the hard work down the wing, driving forward before finding Elgin to open scores.

It took a while for the hosts to get going. Wimborne through they had equaliser when Matty Neale’s cross was sent into the back of the net, only for an offside flag to be shown.

However, they would find their goal sooner rather than later.

Stuttle’s persistence paid off as he beat Paulton goalie Frankie Phillips to the ball, slipping it through the keeper’s legs and into the back of the net.

There would be another twist before half time, Griffin shown red for a reckless challenge.

Despite the man disadvantage, Magpies were much improved in the second period.

However, it still took time for Wimborne to get their second.

Matty Neale swung a corner into the box, Cocklin arriving to smash home and earn Wimborne all three points.

Victory for Magpies was made that much sweeter by the fact that title rivals Frome Town dropped points away at Exmouth Town.

It now means Magpies are level on both points and goal difference with the Somerset side, whilst enjoying a game in hand on Frome.

Frome remain top of the division by virtue of goals scored, having 68 goals compared to Wimborne’s 67.

Magpies: Flitney; Hanger, Walker, Cocklin, Jackson; Carmichael (Beale, h-t), Griffin, Neale (Scorey, 81), Morgan, Baker (Lovell, 70), Stuttle.

Unused subs: Bedford, Munn.