POOLE Town were unable to find a victory in new manager Steve Tully’s first game in charge, losing 2-1 at home to Hungerford.

Toby Holmes had given Dolphins a first-half lead but a brace from Elliott Dugan in the second period turned the game on its head.

Tully was in the dugout after his appointment was announced earlier in the day

Goalkeeper Max Evans returned in between the sticks, whilst Declan Rose served a one-match ban.

Inside five minutes a looping ball over the top found Holmes, a deflection sending his effort trickling past the far post.

And it would be Holmes who would find the opener on 18 minutes.

Some good build-up play with strike partner Jake Scrimshaw saw the ball moved wide to Harvey Wright.

The wing-back managed to get the ball back into the six-yard box, the saturated pitch holding it up for Holmes to swivel and fire past Nick Harvey to put Poole into the lead.

Even after taking the lead Poole were enjoying more chances than their hosts.

Yoan Zouma’s booming kick from the back was flicked on by a Hungerford defender to the lurking Scrimshaw, a combination of a tight angle, a saturated pitch and a hurried clearance keeping the striker out.

Holmes blasted over at close range shortly after, the offside flag sparing his blushes.

At the other end a sliding intervention from Josh Staunton was required to deny Hungerford at close range.

Action was limited in the remainder of the first period.

In the opening stages of the second half a dangerous Hungerford moment saw a sliced effort somehow flash past the far post.

Harry Hutchinson’s free-kick was palmed away by Harvey in the Hungerford goal, Poole’s first chance of the final 45 minutes.

Their goal lived a charmed life. A goalmouth scramble  eventually saw Max Evans clear, before the next Hungerford attack was seemingly stopped by the arm of Staunton, the defender on the floor as he blocked a shot.

But the pressure would tell. 

Released on goal, Dugan kept his cool to slot past Evans and restore parity with less than 20 minutes to go.

Poole looked for a response. Wright sliced wide when he received a cross at the back post, a let off for the away side.

There would be no mercy shown in the other box.

Receiving the ball with time and space in front of goal, Dugan turned home his second to put Hungerford into the lead.

Dolphins: Evans; Wright, Whisken, Staunton, Zouma, Hutchinson (Tshaka, 72); Slade, Murray, Lowes (Foden 90+1); Holmes, Scrimshaw (Samadi, 72).

Unused subs: Santos, Thomas (g/k).