WIMBORNE Town remained top of the table after their clash with nearest challengers Frome Town, playing out a 2-2 draw in Somerset.

Tim Sills’ side twice had to come from behind to ensure the spoils were shared away from home, Harry Morgan and Matty Neale cancelling out Frome goals from Jonathan Davies and Samuel Teale.

Playing for the first time since the end of November, Magpies made two changes to the side victorious over Larkhall Athletic last time out.

Billy Walker replaced Connor Cocklin in the heart of defence, whilst Cameron Munn made way for Ben Scorey.

Veteran goalkeeper Ross Flitney was called into action for Wimborne a few times during a cagey start.

Frome would find their opener shortly after the half-hour mark, Kane Simpson’s rebound turned home by Davies.

But Wimborne would not allow Frome’s initial lead to last for very long as four minutes later, scores were level again.

Sam Roberts’ cross was knocked down by Jack Lovell, allowing Morgan to blast home.

Provider almost turned goalscorer moments later, Lovell’s effort from range tipped over by Kyle Phillips.

Just as it looked like the teams would be heading into the break level, the hosts found a second goal.

A sustained spell of pressure on the Wimborne goal finally became too much for the Magpies, chaos in the box eventually leading to Frome captain Teale powering home.

Despite an even first period, it would be Wimborne who would enjoy the lion share of chances in the final 45 minutes.

After huffing and puffing via a variety of means, it would take something special for Magpies to level again.

Sam Griffin teed up fellow midfielder Neale on the edge of the area, the former Cherries man letting fly and finding the top corner of the goal.

After restoring parity, Magpies were certainly in the ascendency, and hunted for a winner. They would put the ball in the back of the net on two occasions, but both times they were denied by the offside flag.

Jack Lovell saw his bundled effort chalked off for a marginal offside, before Griffin’s strike suffered the same fate minutes later.

Such was Wimborne’s control of the game the hosts were restricted to just two attempts in the second half, the latter chance drawing a save out of Ross Flitney in the Magpies goal.

The point ensures Wimborne remain above Frome Town, who sit second one point behind Magpies’ tally of 31.

Frome are now level on points with third-placed Cribbs, with both sides enjoying two games in hand over Wimborne.

Magpies: Flitney; Hanger, Roberts, Walker, Jackson; Morgan (Munn, 84), Neale, Scorey, Beale (Bedford, 58), Griffin; Lovell (Baker, 88).

Unused subs: Satterley, Carmichael.