POOLE Town’s FA Trophy run ended at the second hurdle, after contriving to lose on penalties against divisional rivals Bracknell Town despite having led 2-0.

Tony Lee goals in each half had seemingly set Dolphins on their way to a second round tie at home to Horsham, before Bracknell responded through Thomas Jackson and Darryl Harrison in the final quarter of the game.

Dolphins were short on numbers for their trip to Berkshire, with manager Matt Tubbs naming himself on a bench that was one short of the full complement of five players.

Billy Lowes and Will Fletcher were both cup-tied thanks to the earlier involvements in the competition with Bashley and Hamworthy United respectively.

Recent loan signings Archie Harris, Harvey Slade, and Brendan Wilson were all unavailable, although Jamie Whisken, Wes Fogden, and Luke Pardoe were all deemed fit enough to be included in the matchday squad.

Kai Samadi was handed his first start for the club, the youngster having made all eight of his previous appearances off the bench.

Both sides enjoyed early chances, Dolphins clearing two Bracknell set-pieces whilst their striker Lee flashed a header over the bar the other end.

It would be Lee who would open scores on 19 minutes.

The forward embarked on a run towards goal, before prematurely ending the move 20 yards out with a fine finish.

After Lee’s opener, there was a chaotic period with both sides looking dangerous.

Bracknell looked to respond but were unable to find a way past Max Evans in the Poole goal, the goalie making numerous saves.

Samadi thought he had doubled Dolphins’ lead on 25 minutes, only to be denied by the offside flag.

The start of the second-half saw Poole’s second – Lee again scoring from distance, this time converting a free-kick.

But Poole’s two-goal lead would not last.

Midfielder Jackson pulled one back on 67 minutes, before defender Harrison equalised with 10 minutes remaining.

That sent the tie to penalties, with misses from Cam Murray and Harry Hutchinson allowing Bracknell to advance 4-1 winners from the shootout.

Dolphins: Evans; Nippard, Whisken, Wright, Hutchinson; Samadi, Fogden, Murray, Monk (Bertrand, 85); Lee, Holmes (Ojo, 64).

Unused subs: Tubbs, Pardoe.