WIMBORNE Town were held to a 1-1 draw by a resilient Exmouth Town at New Cuthbury.

Ace High’s diving header in the first half was cancelled out by Sam Jackson’s powerful effort with 20 minutes remaining.

As much as Wimborne tried, the hosts could not find a winner to take all three points. 

Boss Tim Sills made two changes from the side victorious at Bishop’s Cleeve on the opening day, Sam Roberts and Lewis Beale making way for Connor Cocklin and Harry Baker respectively.

Magpies managed to keep the majority of the play consigned to their guests’ half for the opening 15 minutes, their closest chance Oakley Hanger’s driven effort that slipped past the far post.

But despite their control of the game, it would be Exmouth who enjoyed more dangerous moments.

Ross Flitney got down well to deny Aarron Denny, but there was nothing he could do for the opener.

10 minutes from the break, a shortly taken Exmouth corner saw James Richards deliver a tempting ball into the near post, High  stooping low to head home past Flitney.

There was almost an instant response as Baker nodded narrowly over from a Hanger cross.

Baker came close again at the start of the second period, recovering to swivel and fire wayward after being almost caught out by the pass.

Andrew Sowden-Bird then denied the Magpies striker after he had steered a header down towards the bottom corner, the goalkeeper getting down quickly to push the effort away.

Jez Bedford mazy run from the right flank caused panic in the Exmouth box, the midfielder’s poked finish scrambled before it could cross the line.

Wimborne had Exmouth camped even further into their own half throughout the second period, their constant pressure eventually telling.

Jackson’s half-volley at a cleared corner found its way through a crowd of bodies and into the back of the net, offering Magpies a platform to try and find a winner.

But before they could launch another attack, they almost went behind for a second time.

Michael Landricombe lashed an effort towards the top right of Flitney’s goal, the keeper manager to claw it away at full stretch.

The hosts continued to huff and puff for a winner, substitute Lewis Beale seeing another dangerous effort blocked before it could find the bottom corner.

Landricombe looped a header from a free-kick just over the bar of the Wimborne goal in a nervy moment at the other end.

Despite the continued seige on the Exmouth goal, Wimborne were unable to find a way through and had to settle for a point.

Magpies: Flitney, Hanger, Cocklin, Walker, Jackson, Bartlett, Satterley (Johnston, 67), Bedford, Neale, Lovell, Baker (Beale, 81).

Unused subs: Roberts,, Scorey, White (g/k).