DORCHESTER Town’s run of three straight home league wins was abruptly ended as Poole claimed a 4-1 victory at a drenched Avenue Stadium.

Corby Moore put the Dolphins ahead with a crisp low strike before Billy Lowes equalised with a stunning individual goal.

The match looked to be heading for a draw until a late Poole blitz as Luke Burbridge scored via the post and Charlie Madden headed a bizarre own goal.

Will Spetch then headed a late fourth as Poole gave the scoreline a deceptive look after what had been a close contest.

READ MOREDorchester Town 1-4 Poole Town - as it happened

Looking to earn a fourth home Pitching In Southern League Premier South win on the bounce, Dorchester boss Glenn Howes made two changes to the side that began the 1-1 draw at Gosport 16 days ago.

Gerard Benfield and Charlie Gunson made way for returning loanee goalkeeper Harry Lee and defender Ashley Wells, while Callum Buckley retained the captaincy.

Dorchester selected an entirely new five-man bench as Madden, Sam Bayston, Connor Callow, Ben Symes and Ashley Guppy came into the squad.

There were no fewer than five former Dorchester players in the Poole squad, with Jamie Whisken, Sam Jackson and Sean Wright starting ahead of substitutes Steve Devlin and Luke Holmes.

Poole boss Tommy Killick, his assistant Jody Rivers and coach Richard Gillespie also have former ties to Dorchester.

And it was the Dolphins who briefly enjoyed the lead thanks to a pearler from Moore.

Poole had made an energetic start in the first five minutes, shifting the ball around quickly to stretch Dorchester.

It proved the recipe for success as Poole beat the press from Tom Soares to set up Moore in space 25 yards out, the midfielder driving a wonderful low shot beyond Lee for 1-0.

In front of a bumper crowd, Dorchester were behind for less than three minutes as the Magpies trumped Moore’s effort.

Lowes picked up possession on the right edge of the area, danced elegantly past two tackles and unleashed a corker into the very top of the far corner to equalise, delighting the home faithful.

Burbidge worked Lee soon afterwards and the Dorchester defence blocked a Luke Pardoe effort after Lee’s punch.

Lowes showed twinkle toes again to set up Alfie Stanley for a rising shot 20 yards out and Poole replied when Whisken slashed a Moore corner into the side netting.

Jackson and Billy Stedman traded yellow cards for needless fouls as the tempo of the game slowed after a breathless start.

Ending the half as they began, Poole tested Dorchester just before half-time when Lee had to be alert to keep out a deflected Spetch cross.

Makeshift striker Spetch, filling in for injured top scorer Tony Lee, then went close himself with a left-foot rocket from 20 yards, his effort whistling past the far post with Lee unmoved.

Howes opted for one change at the break as Soares made way for Madden.

In the first action of the half, Thiago Caze da Silva was cautioned for a foul on Spetch before ex-Weymouth midfielder Jack Dickson powered an effort at Lee, the 17-year-old doing well to parry away.

Poole then had a narrow escape when Tom Purrington’s mazy run evaded three tackles, only for his delayed pass to pick out a clean through, yet offside, Stedman.

Pardoe fizzed a volley across goal on the hour and Dorchester struggled to create from a free-kick as both sides battled to take the lead.

As the rain intensified at an already soaking Avenue, da Silva made an important challenge to hook the ball away from Spetch inside the area.

But Poole regained the lead thanks to another superb strike, this time from Burbidge. Picking up possession 25 yards out, the forward faded a fierce low shot in off the post with 18 minutes to go.

Five minutes later Poole were 3-1 up in bizarre circumstances as a corner looped up for Madden to cushion a header back, only for his pass to find the back of the net with Lee helpless.

Dorchester missed a chance to halve the deficit when sub Bayston was felled 25 yards out, Stedman curling the free-kick well over.

Lee denied Burbidge a fourth with a good save at an awkward height but the Dolphins inflated the scoreline in stoppage time when Spetch headed home a cross from close range to seal the victory in style.

Dolphins: Childs, Rose, Pardoe (Devlin, 76), Spetch, Whisken, Jackson (Mayo, 90+2), Carmichael, Moore, Wright, Burbidge, Dickson (Chipangura, 86).
Subs not used: Butler, Holmes.

Referee: Paul Barber

Attendance: 767