CHERRIES played out a drab goalless draw with Championship outfit West Brom in their first of four pre-season friendlies in nine days.

It took until the final 10 minutes before the Baggies created the clearest chance of the contest at The Hawthorns when Kieran Gibbs was denied by a stunning Aaron Ramsdale save from deep inside the box.

Oliver Burke had almost broken the deadlock a few minutes earlier with Ramsdale again called into a smart low stop while Cherries were unable to seriously work goalkeeper Sam Johnstone for the duration of the evening.

Callum Wilson and Joshua King both had flashes around the box, but neither could produce the killer finish to break the stalemate.

Eddie Howe named a mixture of youth and experience for the first of two games in as many days with star trio Ryan Fraser, King and Wilson starting in attack while some names from the academy were handed a chance including Corey Jordan, Alex Dobre and Nnamdi Ofoborh.

West Brom, whose Championship season begins next weekend, flew out the blocks with winger Matt Phillips firing wide inside the first 30 seconds.

The Scotland international was proving a real thorn in the side of Cherries in the early stages, causing problems down the right again before dragging a shot past the post.

Forays into the Baggies box were a rarity for the visitors throughout the first half, but they did almost carve out a golden chance when Wilson sent Adam Smith scampering down the right, however the full-back’s delivery evaded King in the centre.

Jack Simpson tamely headed over a Fraser free-kick but the likelier scorers looked to be West Brom with Jake Livermore unable to pull the trigger before a mix-up between Jordan and Ramsdale almost led to Smith inadvertently turning into his own net.

Wilson and King both saw shots charged down as Cherries looked to turn the screw going into the break, but a forgettable first-half ended goalless.

Fraser and Wilson, who combined so telepathically last season, came close to linking up again in the first meaningful attack of the second period.

The winger whipped an inviting free-kick in towards the six-yard box, but Wilson could not quite get a toe onto it allowing goalkeeper Johnstone to gather.

Any flow being generated in the contest was halted by a raft of Albion subs with the next chance of note seeing Ofoborh curl well off target from 22 yards.

Ramsdale was finally called into action midway through the half when substitute Burke shifted half a yard of space in the right channel of the box, but the Cherries stopper got down well to snaffle the loose ball.

Seemingly with the bit between his teeth, Burke was the next man to try their luck in the clearest opening of the contest with his fierce low effort parried away by Ramsdale.

Cherries had two late penalty shouts waved away in the final 15 minutes as both Harry Arter and substitute Sam Surridge went down in the box.

Albion ended strongly and looked to have done enough to grab a winner when Gibbs ghosted into the box, but Ramsdale got down brilliantly to turn the shot behind the post.

Jonathan Leko was also denied by the young stopper with a shot from the edge of the box as Cherries held on for a draw.

Cherries face Brentford at Griffin Park tomorrow (3pm).

Cherries: Ramsdale; Smith, Jordan, Simpson, Kelly; Fraser (Anthony, 83) Ofoborh (Sherring, 88), Arter, Dobre; King (Surridge, 75), Wilson.

Unused subs: Cordner, Dennis (g/k).

Referee: Steve Martin

Attendance: 5,142