BOSS Tom Killick hailed his side’s “resolute” display as Poole Town dug in to advance in the FA Cup.

Dolphins are now just one victory away from the first round proper, after coming from behind to beat Isthmian League South East Horsham 2-1 at Black Gold Stadium.

Victory in the third qualifying round replay saw Killick’s men scoop £15,000 and earn a trip to Isthmian Premier Haringey Borough on Saturday, October 20.

Poole are now one step from potentially locking horns with the likes of previous cup winners Portsmouth, Coventry and Sunderland.

And Killick believes the lure of the “big occasion” was a driving force behind his side’s gritty success against the Hornets.

He told the Daily Echo: “I don’t think we played particularly well over the two games.

“The players felt there was quite a lot at stake and I did think it showed in the way that we played, particularly at the end.

“But I think that is going to be the case, perhaps more so when we are strong favourites being from a league higher and having home advantage.

“When you are playing under those circumstances and there’s a prize of being 90 minutes away from a big occasion for them all, it’s understandable.

“We coped well with the fact that we lacked a bit of quality at times by being difficult to break down. That was the real positive.

“It wasn’t a brilliant performance but it was a real determined and resolute one.”

Having recorded a 1-1 draw away from home against Horsham on Saturday, Dolphins found themselves in trouble after 13 minutes.

A defensive lapse from the hosts allowed the ball to be teed up for Horsham’s Harvey Sparks, who rifled a low drive into the bottom corner to find the opener.

Poole continued to ride their luck, Tyrell Richardson-Brown slid the ball in for Robert O’Toole, who saw his fierce effort cannon off the underside of the bar after Poole keeper Luke Cairney got a vital touch.

But having absorbed an intense amount of pressure, Dolphins got their leveller two minutes before the break.

Corby Moore’s free-kick found the head of skipper Jamie Whisken, who rose highest to power the ball into the net.

And Moore was to be Poole’s cup hero. He struck home through a sea of bodies four minutes after the interval to send Dolphins through.

“The players were so desperate to get themselves in that situation and it showed in their performance,” added Killick.

“Having seen it out now, there’s a big sense of relief and elation.

“But we still know all we have done is given ourselves an opportunity and 90 minutes to fight for a big prize – that is all we have done.”

Dolphins: Cairney, Alawode-Williams, Leslie-Smith, Griffin, Whisken, Pettefer (Devlin, h-t), Bedford, Moore, Gillespie (Balmer, 87), Brooks, Roberts (Dickson, 67). Unused subs: Smeeton, Grange, Gilot, Rolleston (g/k).