A DRUNKEN gang who attacked a Good Samaritan in the street “like a pack of wolves” have been locked up for 10 months.

Bournemouth Crown Court heard how late-night violence had flared in Southbourne on February 26 last year after Robert Hanson left home to buy a pizza.

Prosecuting at Bournemouth Crown Court, Clifford Grier said: “As he left the shop Mr Hanson noticed some ripped charity bags with their contents strewn on the pavement. He saw four youths walking towards him and believed they were responsible.”

When he challenged them, Mr Hanson, 32, was set upon. During a “frenzied attack,” witnessed by shocked passers-by, he was repeatedly punched and kicked while lying defenceless on the ground.

Matthew Scrimshaw, 20, from Highlands Crescent, Bourne-mouth; Zak Bond, 19, from South Kinson Drive, Bournemouth; Troy Gordon, 20, from Chaldecott Gardens, Bournemouth; and Nathan Alderton, 21, from West Howe Close, Bournemouth, admitted assault, occasioning actual bodily harm.

Mr Grier added: “All of them wanted to fight Mr Hanson. All of a sudden he was knocked backwards. He remembers all four raining down punches until he fell to the floor.

“He covered his head to protect himself. They started kicking him all over his body and head and he shouted out ‘Stop I’ve had enough.’ The gang walked off as members of the public came to give assistance and the police were called.”

One shocked witness, who shouted: “Enough is enough,” later described the attack as “a big free-for-all”.

Badly bruised Mr Hanson, who needed hospital treatment for facial injuries, also suffered cuts to his elbow and knee.

The court heard how the gang had been arrested nearby a short time later at Scrimshaw’s former home where Bond was discovered hiding under a bed.

Defending Alderton, Jeffrey Norrie-Miller said his client had “foolishly” kicked the charity bag, adding: “It was a bit of drunken, humorous behaviour. He is genuinely remorseful.”

In Scrimshaw’s and Gordon’s defence, their barrister stressed that they were “polite, courteous young men” when sober and the offence had been out of character.

In Bond’s defence, the court heard that he had accepted his part in the attack from the outset. He had since “rethought his life” and his sights were now set on a teaching career.

Judge John Harrow, sentencing each of the four to 10 months in a young offenders institution, described the attack as “cowardly”, He added: “The courts will do what they can to make the streets of this country safe for people going about their lawful business.

“Mr Hanson saw the four of you, who had taken on a colossal amount of drink, messing about with some clothing intended for a charity shop. He decided to say something; that took courage.

“You set upon him like a pack of wolves; fortunately he was not seriously injured. You behaved like four young thugs.” There was uproar in the public gallery as the four were led away by officers.