TWIN BROTHERS beat a man with a metal pipe and a wooden bat alongside their father and uncle during a revenge attack.

Threats were made by the two families before the victims brandished an axe and machete in retaliation.

Prosecutor, Rob Welling, told Bournemouth Crown Court on May 20 that brothers, Charlie and Harry Redmond-Smith attacked the man alongside their father, John Smith and uncle, John Redmond.

On February 3, 2021, the four men and other family members went to the victim’s address in Christchurch to deliver furniture that had been left at one of their properties.

However, during the unloading something triggered the victim to fire a catapult at the defendants’ vehicle, damaging the windscreen.

All four men got out of the vehicle and launched an “unrestrained group attack” on the victim’s property.

Bournemouth Echo: Harry and Charlie Redmond-Smith during the incident

Harry Redmond-Smith armed himself with a scrap piece of metal piping and began smashing caravan windows, while his brother Charlie Redmond-Smith brandishes a piece of wood.

The incident escalated when a member of the victim’s family began shouting threats, and the brothers returned them.

The disturbance brought the victim out of his house, bare from the waist up and without shoes, brandishing an axe.

He said to Charlie Redmond-Smith: “You’re a dead man.”

Bournemouth Echo: John Redmond on CCTV during the incident

John Redmond became involved and wrestles the axe from the victim before the brothers begin beating him.

A member of the victim’s family was then heard saying “get me a weapon” before emerging with a machete.

John Redmond threatened the man with the axe, forcing him to retreat inside the house.

The victim was next seen being chased down the road by Harry Redmond-Smith who continued to brandish the metal pipe.

The man was struck several times and attempts to run back to his house but was intercepted by Charlie Redmond-Smith.

The brothers simultaneously attacked him, with Harry Redmond-Smith delivering 15 blows whilst Charlie stamped on his head at least once.

After a few moments the man attempted to flee but was struck by John Redmond, causing him to fall into a car then into the gutter, allowing the brothers to launch a final blow.

Bournemouth Echo: John Smith outside Bournemouth Crown Court

John Smith then appeared with a getaway car and the defendants left the scene.

Frank Abbott, defending Charlie Redmond-Smith, said the defendants did not intend to cause damage but were provoked by the damage to their vehicle and use of the axe.

Prosecution said the attack was prolonged and persistent, but Mr Abbott argues it was a momentary loss of control.

Scott Tuppen, defending Harry Redmond-Smith, said the assault would not have come about if not for the catapult used by the victim.

Sarah Brown, defending John Redmond, described her client as the “gentleman that does an awful lot of standing still.”

She added that he felt ambushed and froze in fear, but was the one who disarmed the man with the axe.

Ellie Fargin, defending John Smith, said he had retreated before the serious assault and wishes he had done more to try to stop the incident.

Bournemouth Echo: Charlie Redmond-Smith outside Bournemouth Crown Court

Charlie Redmond-Smith, 25 and of Burleigh Road, was sentenced to two years in prison for affray and attempted assault to cause serious bodily harm.

Judge Jonathan Fuller KC added: “It is fortunate that piece of wood was not heavier because the force of your blows could have killed this person.”

Bournemouth Echo: Harry Redmond-Smith outside Bournemouth Crown Court

Harry Redmond-Smith, 25 and of Burleigh Road, was sentenced to 18 months in prison, suspended for two years, for affray and assault causing actual bodily harm.

Along with 20 rehabilitation requirement days, 200 hours of unpaid work and to be subject to a curfew.

John Redmond, 51 and of the Moornings, Christchurch, was sentenced to eight months in prison, suspended for two years, for affray.

John Smith, 52 and of Burleigh Road, was sentenced to a community order for two years for affray.

As well as 10 rehabilitation requirement days, 150 hours of unpaid work and 12 session of mental health treatment.