A BOSCOMBE councillor has hit out after he found fly-tipped food waste that can be deadly to dogs. 

Boscombe East and Pokesdown councillor George Farquhar said he came across eight compostable bags of kitchen scraps while walking his dog at Woodland Walk in Boscombe.

He later took to social media to warn the public against illegally dumping food waste in public spaces.

He said: "Fly-tipping can kill.

"Since the kitchen scraps could include onion, which is highly toxic to dogs and can kill without urgent veterinary treatment."

He said disposing of the waste in a woodland area is 'unjustifiable' because it implies a deliberate act of transporting and dumping the waste in the woods.

Cllr Farquhar said: "It's been a very deliberate act to get rid of something which inconveniences them.

"I'm angry that someone transported this hazardous fly-tipping to the middle of Woodland Walk (in a different container) and then dumped it.

"What I found most vexing about it is how they justified it to themselves, assuming they put the food out for the squirrels and the birds."

Cllr Farquhar said besides being 'deadly' to dogs, the risk was that the bags of food scraps were already showing signs of foraging vermin.

An RSPCA spokesperson said: "Food litter can be just as dangerous to animals as other litter. If an apple core or fruit peel is thrown from a passing vehicle or discarded by the roadside, it can attract many kinds of wildlife - from mammals to birds - and put them in danger of passing vehicles.

"Some food can be toxic to dogs - including grapes and their dried fruit, chocolate, onions, garlic, and leeks. If your dog does accidentally eat these foods, you should ring your vet straight away for advice.

"Whatever kind of litter it is, we urge people to dispose or recycle it safely and responsibly."

The RSPCA provided a list of foods that are toxic to dogs; these include grapes and their dried fruits, chocolate, onions, garlic, leeks, alcohol, macadamia nuts, and any mouldy leftovers.

It added people should also be aware that splinters of poultry bones are dangerous to dogs and cats as they can become stuck and cause injury.