A YOUTH football match had to be abandoned after a ‘brawl’ erupted during the second half.

Police were called out to the fight that broke out while Wimborne Town’s under 16s took on opponents Bournemouth Poppies under 16s on Sunday afternoon.

The game, being played at Wimborne Town Football Club’s New Cuthbury Stadium, was abandoned at about the 70-minute mark.

An investigation into the incident has been launched by the FA and Dorset Police, with Wimborne Town FC pledging to carry out its own enquiries.

An official spokesperson for Wimborne Town FC said: “Unfortunately, an incident occurred yesterday on our 3G training pitch between a Wimborne Town U16 team and their opponents Bournemouth Poppies U16.

“We are assisting the police and the FA with their enquiries and are currently awaiting the referee's report.

“This is the first time that this has happened at the New Cuthbury Stadium so, alongside the external investigation being undertaken by the appropriate authorities to establish the full facts, the club will also be undertaking its own investigation into the incident.

Bournemouth Echo: Wimborne Town Football ClubWimborne Town Football Club (Image: ViewIt360)

“The club operates a zero-tolerance policy and expects high standards of conduct from all those who use our facilities and so anyone found to have committed an offence, in addition to any formal proceedings brought by the authorities, will no longer be welcome at the club.”

Dorset Police said it received a report of an assault at the football club at 1.19pm on Sunday afternoon.

Officers attended, although no arrests were made.

The county force said enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances.

It could not confirm if there were any injuries.

On Monday morning, the Daily Echo was contacted by a resident about the incident.

He described there being a ‘brawl’ and a ‘fight’ during a grass roots football match, adding: “Violence and abuse at youth football is sadly increasing.”

Wimborne Town FC are currently second in the Under 16’s Division One table, while Bournemouth Poppies are sat in third.

The Daily Echo has contacted the Bournemouth Poppies about the incident.