A POOLE fish and chip shop went up in flames 'destroying' the premises. 

The fire broke out at Seaway fish and chip shop on Old Orchard in Poole High Street on Thursday, December 28. 

A staff member was setting up the shop to open for 12pm when the chip pan allegedly caught alight, causing the building to go up in flames.

He got himself out of the shop safely before alerting the emergency services.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Services were called at 11.22am, and three fire trucks arrived shortly after.

Fire crews from Poole, Westbourne and Hamworthy attended the incident.

Approximately 35 firefighters, including six breathing apparatus wearers, were at the scene.

They put out the blaze with fire extinguishers, CO2 extinguishers and one jet and hose reel.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue's Crew Manager Ian Marks said: "When we arrived, smoke and fire was pouring out the front door.

"The fire took around 15 minutes to put out."

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue confirmed their stop time was 12.12pm.

Seaway fish and chip shop is owned by Muart Bayram, who became the new owner just over a year ago.

He was on his way to the shop when he received a call from a staff member that the property was on fire.

Muart said: "It was such a shock, it all happened so quickly.

"When I arrived, the shop was up in flames, and there was lots and lots of smoke."

"Fire crews turned up very quickly and put out the fire in minutes."

He added, "It will be difficult to recover from this.

"January and February are slow for most businesses."

He added: "Hopefully, we can recover as soon as possible and get back on track."

Dorset Police received a report of a fire at the property in Old Orchard in Poole.

Officers attended to assist, and the road was blocked off while fire crews attended to the scene. 

The road was reopened at around 12.50pm, and no further police assistance was required.

Fire crews at Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue were carrying out training activities when they were alerted of the chip shop fire.

They were, therefore, able to respond quickly to the call, and all three fire trucks arrived on the scene simultaneously.