A WOMAN was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after a crash after a suspected hit and run.

The pedestrian, in her 40s, was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital on Thursday evening for treatment to serious injuries after a vehicle hit her on Cambridge Road, Bournemouth

A second pedestrian, a man in his 40s, was taken to Poole Hospital by ambulance with minor injuries. 

Police have said the vehicle involved fled the scene of the crash at around 8.40pm on Thursday, December 7 and travelled towards the A338. 

Bournemouth Echo: Cambridge RoadCambridge Road (Image: Daily Echo)

Now, officers have launched an investigation and are appealing for witnesses or anybody with dashcam footage to come forward. 

Police sergeant Mike Burt, of the roads policing team, said: “Specialist officers are carrying out a detailed investigation into the circumstances of this collision and to identify the vehicle involved. 

“I am appealing to any witnesses who may have seen either the vehicle or pedestrians prior to the collision, or the incident itself, to please come forward. 

“I would also urge any motorists who were travelling in the area at the time and have dashcam fitted to their vehicle to please check their footage for anything relevant. 

“Finally, I would like to thank members of the public for their patience and understanding as the road closures were in place.  

“These were absolutely necessary to allow the emergency services to respond and for us to carry out an examination of the collision scene.” 

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at www.dorset.police.uk, via email at scit@dorset.pnn.police.uk or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55230192528.  

Alternatively, independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously online at Crimestoppers-uk.org or by calling Freephone 0800 555 111.

A spokesperson for the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SWASFT) said: “We were called at 20.42pm on Thursday 7 December to an incident near Poole Road in Bournemouth.

"We sent two double-crewed land ambulances, two air ambulances and an operations officer and we conveyed one patient by land ambulance to Southampton General Hospital and one patient by land ambulance to Poole Hospital.”