A man has appeared in court accused of murdering an 18-year-old in Bournemouth town centre.

Thomas Betteridge, 18, has been charged with the of murder Cameron Hamilton and possession of a bladed article.

Lennie Hansen, 18, has been charged with assisting an offender and possession of a bladed article.

The allegations relate to an incident in The Square in the early hours on Saturday, August 5.

Betteridge and Hansen appeared in the dock at Poole Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, August 8.

The defendants did not enter pleas to the charges during two separate brief hearings.

Betteridge, of Albert Road, Southsea, was represented by James Moore and Hansen, of Partridge Gardens, Waterlooville, was represented by Mike Flynn.

Nicola Reece appeared on behalf of the Crown Prosecution Service.

Magistrates sent the defendants to Winchester Crown Court, with a hearing due to take place on Thursday, August 10. They were both remanded in custody.

Police received a report shortly before 1.30am on Saturday, August 5, from officers on the scene that a man had received a suspected stab wound after an alleged fight involving a group of people in Bournemouth Square.

Bournemouth Echo:

Mr Hamilton, an 18-year-old plumber from Bournemouth, was pronounced dead on the scene.

In a statement, his family said: “Cam is loved so much by his whole family, we ask that our privacy is respected at this devastating time. We have not lost our beautiful boy, he has been taken.

“We don't want this to be what Cam is remembered for, we want him to be remembered for the funny, kind and wonderful person he is and always will be.

“We would also like to thank all the police officers who attended the scene and were with Cam and all the people who have sent their condolences and wishes to the family.”

Mr Hamilton was a pupil at Bournemouth School from 2016 to 2022.

In a tribute, headteacher Dr Dorian Lewis said: “Cameron was always a popular and lively member of our school community. As a part of Newton House, he could always be relied upon to put himself forward for house events and he also represented the school at rugby.

“Throughout his time at the school, Cameron was polite and courteous, with a warm smile that brightened everyone’s day."

Two other 18-year-old men, from Poole and Bournemouth respectively, were arrested on suspicion of affray. They have both been released under investigation.

UPDATE: At Poole Magistrates' Court it was said the case would be sent to Winchester Crown Court. It has since been confirmed by the courts that the defendants will appear before Bournemouth Crown Court on Thursday, August 10.