FIREFIGHTERS rushed to house fire on Good Friday which was blamed on a set of unsupervised hair straighteners.

Two crews from Poole Fire Station were called at 6.20pm on Friday, April 7, to a home in Blandford Road, Upton, in response to a fire in the bedroom of a property.

The blaze was located and contained in an upstairs bedroom and was found to have been caused by a set of hair straighteners.

Crews made the scene safe and worked on ventilating to remove all smoke from the room.

Following the incident, the fire service has reminded users of such appliances of the possible dangers if left unattended.

A Dorset & Wiltshire Fire Service spokesperson said: “If using appliances with heating elements, such as hair straighteners, then please always remember to ensure they are turned off and cooled safely before leaving unsupervised.”