A LATE-night blaze which badly damaged garden furniture and fencing is believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service were called at 11.28pm to a domestic property in Bingham Avenue, Poole, following reports of a garden fire.

Crews from Westbourne and Poole attended to find a fence and garden furniture on fire. The flames had also spread to the guttering of the property.

The fire was extinguished using one hose reel jet and, due to the darkness, a thermal imaging camera was used to ensure all flames and remaining hotspots had been found.

According to the service, a discarded cigarette is believed to be the cause of the fire. Crews left the scene at 12.21am.