A FIRE broke out at a recycling centre in Purbeck on Friday morning, December 31.

Nearby residents were advised to keep their windows and doors closed due to a plume of smoke while firefighters tackled the fire at Wareham Household Recycling Centre in Westminster Road in Wareham.

Fire crews were called to the fire, which occurred within a container of electrical items, at 8.30am.

Read more: As it happened: 'keep windows and doors closed': fire breaks out at recycling centre

Firefighters from Poole and Wareham attended with a total of four fire engines on the scene.

The site was temporarily closed to members of the public while the incident was dealt with but reopened at around 11.30am.

Wessex Water sent a text message to customers in the area to make them aware of temporary low pressure or discolouration they might experience for a short time due to the hydrants being used by the fire service.

The fire was extinguished using foam, two main lines and onsite machinery.

It was extinguished by around 9.50am.

The site remained closed for a time to allow cleaning and investigations to take place.